Manitowoc Soldiers & Sailors Regimental Reunion Roster, 1880

by Wisconsin Soldiers Reunion Association, Published in 1880

(Second Infantry, 3 years, organized June 11, 1861. Original strength: h, 1051; gain by 
recruits, etc., 215; total, 1266. Death loss, 261 - killed in action, 48; died of wounds, 60;
of disease, 53. Other losses, 818 - missing, 6; desertions, 65; transfers, 134; discharged, 
466. Strength at muster out, July 2nd, 1864, 348. Campaigns in Virginia, with the old "Iron

2nd Infantry Company F
Sanford, Henry   Manitowoc

2nd Infantry Company K
Esslinger, C. G. (Lt.) Manitowoc

(Third Infantry, three years. Organized June 29, 1861. Original strength, 979; gain by 
recruits, etc., 1177; total, 2156; death loss, 247 - killed in action, 97; died of wounds, 52;
of disease, 98. Other losses 1346 - missing, 5; desertion, 51; transfer, 98; discharged, 945.
Strength at muster out, July 18, 1865, 810. Campaigns in Virginia, Georgia, North and South 

3rd Infantry Company E
Myer, Peter  Manitowoc Rapids

(Fifth Infantry, three years, organized July 13th, 1861. Original strength, 1058; gain by
recruits, etc., 1198. Total, 2256. Death loss, 285 - Killed in action, 98; died of wounds, 71; 
of disease, 116. Other losses, 547 - missing, 4; desertion, 105; transfer, 33; discharged, 405.
Strength at muster out, June 20, and July 11, 1865, 1424. Campaigns in Virginia, from Yorktown
to appomattox Court House.)

5th Infantry Company A
Anderson, J. L. (attorney)  Manitowoc
Cadwell, Anthony  Manitowoc
Stirn, Frank  Manitowoc
Schlindler, Edward  Manitowoc

(Sixth Infantry, three years, organized July 16, 1861. Original strength, 1108, gain by 
recruits, etc., 1035, Total, 2143. Death loss, 321 - killed in action, 163; died of wounds, 71;
of disease, 84; of accidents, 3. Other losses, 684 - missing, 7; desertions, 79; transfers, 75;
discharged, 513. Strength at muster out, July 14, 1865, 1148. Campaigns in Virginia with the 
old "Iron Brigade".)

6th Infantry Unassigned
Grupe, Ferdinand  Hika

(Seventh Infantry, three years, organized September 16, 1861. Original strength, 1029, gain by 
recruits, etc., 903, Total, 1932. Death loss, 391 - killed in action, 172; died of wounds, 95;
of disease, 124. Other losses, 629 - missing, 6; desertions, 44; transfers, 106;
discharged, 473. Strength at muster out, July 32, 1865, 912. Campaigns in Virginia with the 
old "Iron Brigade".){Note: it states on the microfiche as July 32, 1865, this is not a typo by

7th Infantry Company F
McPhall +  Newton

7th Infantry Company K
Kirsher, Wendell  Francis Creek

(Ninth Infantry, three years, organized October 26, 1861. Original strength, 870; gain by 
recruits, etc., 552, Total, 1422. Death loss, 175 - killed in action, 51; died of wounds, 24;
of disease, 96; of accidents, 4. Other losses, 223 - missing, 0; desertions, 25; transfers, 7;
discharged, 191. by muster out, November 1, 1861-739. Strength at muster out, January 30, 
1866, 285.Campaigns in Missouri, Kansas & Arkansas.)

9th Infantry Company A
Brewery, Louis  Kiel
Guthul, Louis  Kiel
Voigt, Albert  Meeme

9th Infantry Company B
Becker, Fred'k (Capt.)  Manitowoc
Dunkee, A. F. (Capt.)  Manitowoc
Guetzloe, Gisbert (Lt.) Manitowoc
Koch, Hugo (Lt.)  Manitowoc
Stole, H.    Two Rivers

9th Infantry Company D
Fiedemann, Christian  Kiel

9th Infantry Company F
Schmidt, Carl H. (Capt.) Manitowoc

9th Infantry Company G
Schmidt, Chas. H. (Capt.) Manitowoc

(Twelfth Infantry, three years, organized October, 1861. Original strength, 1045, gain by 
recruits, etc., 1141, Total, 2186. Death loss, 291 - killed in action, 59; died of wounds, 32;
of disease, 202. Other losses, 426 - missing, 0; desertions, 26; transfers, 64;
discharged, 336. Strength at muster out, July 16, 1865, 1466. Campaigns in Missouri, Kansas,  
Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina & North Carolina.)

12th Infantry Company D
Jacket, Victor  Two Rivers

12th Infantry Company F
Egan, Michael  Osman

(Forteenth Infantry, three years, organized January 30, 1862. Original strength, 970, gain by 
recruits, etc., 1212, Total, 2182. Death loss, 287 - killed in action, 61; died of wounds, 34;
of disease, 192. Other losses, 540 - missing, 13; desertions, 97; transfers, 23;
discharged, 407. Strength at muster out, October 9, 1865, 1355. Campaigns in Tennessee, 
Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Alabama & Georgia.)

14th Infantry Company E
Shove, Don A.  (Lt.) Manitowoc
Day, B. B. (farmer) Larrabee
Sonte, S. A. Two Rivers
Staeller, Peter  Manitowoc
Whitcomb, Joel  Manitowoc
Williams, Jacob Manitowoc

14th Infantry Company I
Rumpff, Frederick  Meeme
Rickaby, Robt.   Cato

14th Infantry Unassigned
McCart, Jno  Cato

(Fifteenth Infantry, three years, organized February 14, 1862. Original strength, 801, gain by 
recruits, etc., 105, Total, 906. Death loss, 267 - killed in action, 49; died of wounds, 33;
of disease, 185. Other losses, 319 - missing, 22; desertions, 46; transfers, 47;
discharged, 204. Strength at muster out, February 13, 1865, 320. Campaigns in Kentucky, 
Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama & Georgia.)

15th Infantry Company F
Gustaveson, C. (Capt.)  Manitowoc

15th Infantry Unassigned
Wickler, C. (farmer) Larrabee

(Seventeenth Infantry, three years, organized March 15, 1862. Original strength, 941, gain by 
recruits, etc., 1023, Total, 1964. Death loss, 221 - killed in action, 22; died of wounds, 15;
of disease, 178; of accidents, 6. Other losses, 642 - missing, 5; desertions, 157; transfers, 
32; discharged, 448. Strength at muster out, July 14, 1865, 1101. Campaigns in Tennessee, 
Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina & South Carolina.)

17th Infantry Company G
Lafard, Frank Two Rivers
Laford, Godfrey Two Rivers
St. Peter, Frank Two Rivers

(Twentieth Infantry, three years, organized August 23, 1862. Original strength, 990, gain by 
recruits, etc., 139, Total, 1129. Death loss, 227 - killed in action, 57; died of wounds, 36;
of disease, 134. Other losses, 378 - missing, 0; desertions, 41; transfers, 115;
discharged, 222. Strength at muster out, July 14, 1865, 524. Campaigns in Missouri, Arkansas
Missouri, Louisana, Texas & Alabama.)

20th Infantry Company K
Lahey, Thos Two Creeks

(Twenty-First Infantry, three years, organized September 5, 1862. Original strength, 1002, 
gain by recruits, etc., 169, Total, 1171. Death loss, 288 - killed in action, 67; died of 
wounds, 47; of disease. Other losses, 400 - missing, 0; desertions, 40; transfers, 99;
discharged, 261. Strength at muster out, July 8, 1865, 483. Campaigns in Kentucky, Tennessee, 
Georgia, South Carolina & North Carolina.)

21st Infantry Company K
Doolan, Jno  Manitowoc
Reardon, J. F. (Police)  Manitowoc

(Twenty-Fourth Infantry, three years, organized August 15, 1862. Original strength, 1003, 
gain by recruits, etc., 74, Total, 1077. Death loss, 173 - killed in action, 61; died of 
wounds, 35; of disease, 77. Other losses, 458 - missing, 0; desertions, 71; transfers, 138;
discharged, 289. Strength at muster out, June 10, 1865, 406. Campaigns in Kentucky, Tennessee, 
Alabama & Georgia.)

24th Infantry Company C
Gatherie, Bernhardt  Kiel
Krieger, Ferdinand Kiel
Kruger, Fred Kiel

24th Infantry Company H
Mohrhusen, L. T. Manitowoc

(Twenty-Sixth Infantry, three years, organized September 16, 1862. Original strength, 1002, 
gain by recruits, etc., 87, Total, 1089. Death loss, 254 - killed in action, 128; died of 
wounds, 56; of disease, 68; of accidents, 2. Other losses, 388 - missing, 0; desertions, 31; 
transfers, 125; discharged, 232. Strength at muster out, June 13, 1865, 447. Campaigns in 
Virginia, Pennsylvania, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina & North Carolina.)

26th Infantry Company F
Arndt, Gottfried  Hika
Dietericks, Carl  Two Rivers

(Twenty-Seventh Infantry, three years, organized March 7, 1863. Original strength, 865, gain 
by recruits, etc., 331, Total, 1196. Death loss, 248 - killed in action, 15; died of wounds, 8;
of disease, 222; of accidents, 3. Other losses, 363 - missing, 2; desertions, 56; transfers, 
57; discharged, 248. Strength at muster out, August 29, 1865, 585.Campaigns in Kentucky, 
Arkansas, Alabama & Louisiana.)

27th Infantry Company A
Torrey, E. N. (carpenter) Larabee

27th Infantry Company C
Fischer, Jno H. Two Rivers
Petzold, C. J. Two Rivers

27th Infantry Company D
Rankin, Jos. (Capt.)
Burt, Geo (farmer) Larrabee
Caya, Alfred Two Rivers Dec. 23-63 Died of disease on date
Chaterton, Jno Larrabee
Chase, E. (farmer) Larrabee
Henike, Henry Two Rivers
Hurst, Wm. Two Rivers
Johnson, Ephraim (farmer) Mishicot
Knudson, Ole (farmer) Larrabee
King, Clifford (farmer) Cooperstown
Leger, Edmond Cato Oct. 15-63  Died of disease on date
Wagner, Michael (farmer) Larrabee
Wood, Alex (merchant) Two Rivers

27th Infantry Company E
Lahey, Jno Two Creeks

27th Infantry Company G
Georke, Chas. Two Rivers

27th Infantry Company H
Wilson, Geo (farmer) Mishicot
Wilson, Chas (merchant) Mishicot

27th Infantry Company I
Pierce, A. C. Manitowoc Rapids

27th Infantry Company K
Cox, Jeremiah Manitowoc
Classon, Andrew D. Manitowoc
Elingbo, Helgo (farmer) Larrabee
Hudson, Adolph Mishicot

(Thirty-Second Infantry, three years, organized September 25, 1862. Original strength, 993, 
gain by recruits, etc., 481, Total, 1474. Death loss, 275 - killed in action, 17; died of 
wounds, 10; of disease, 244; of accidents, 4. Other losses, 274 - missing, 0; desertions, 58; 
transfers, 27; discharged, 189. Strength at muster out, July 12, 1865, 925. Campaigns in 
Tennessee, Miss., Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina & South Carolina.)

32nd Infantry Company G
Bedell, S. E. Manitowoc Rapids

(Thirty-Fifth Infantry, three years, organized February 27, 1864. Original strength, 1066, 
gain by recruits, etc., 2, Total, 1068. Death loss, 265 - killed in action, 1; died of wounds, 
1; of disease, 250; of accidents, 4. Other losses, 208 - missing, 0; desertions, 29; 
transfers, 11; discharged, 168. Strength at muster out, March 15, 1866, 615. Campaigns in 
Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama & Texas.)

35th Infantry Company A
Sprang, Herman Two Rivers

MANITOWOC MUSKETS The history of a company is naturally included in the history of the regiment it belongs to. In the last chaper we left the Fifth regiment at Williamsburg, where it played such an important part. A few days after this the regiment was marched to the Chicahominy, and encamped on the 24th of May near Gaines' Mill, where it was kept busy for about one month, building roads, bridges, etc. On the evening of June 27th the pickets were driven in by the enemy, who attmpted to dislodge Hancock's brigade from the strong position it held. The brigade quickly formed line of battle on the crest of a hill, on which they lay down, and when the rebs appeared, such a terrible fire that met them they were routed inside of an hour. This is known as the battle of Golden's Farm. The casualties in Company A, as officially reported, were: Wounded: Captain Horace Walker, Sergeant Morris Mullens, Privates William Turpin, James Anderson and John Thoreau. The next day McClellan began his famous "change of base," in which the Fifth formed part of the rear guard and was among the last to cross White Oak Swamp bridge. In the movement to check the progress of General Lee in Maryland, the regiment was in the reserve. They were present at the battle of Antietam, where they lay on the ground nearly all day, under the terrible fire of the enemy. After a fruitless attempt to intercept Stewart's cavalry, on his celebrated raid around McClellan's army, they rejoined the army at Falmouth and participated in the battle of Fredericksburg. The regiment went into winter quarters at Whit989e Oak Church, near Belle Plain. In Februry, 1863, the regiment was incoporated in the newly organized "Light Division," intended to be ready to undertake, on short notice, any movement which required great activity. The "Division" remained in camp until about April 28th, when it moved to the Rappahannock, crossed on pontoons, and took position before the enemy, below Fredericksburg. On the 3rd of May the "Light Division" was ordered to take the enemy's position on Marye's Heights. Gen. Burnside had attempted to take these works in December previous, and had been repulsed with the loss of 5,000 men. This had given the place the name of "Slaughter Pen." The enemy's works consisted of a battery on the heights, flanked by another battery on the left, and by two on the right. These were so plaeed (sic) as to be able to open a terrible cross-fire on any atacking force. At the foot of the heights, which were very steep, was a stone wall, behind which the enemy had stationed a regiment of sharp-shooters. The right wing of the Fifth consisting of companies A,B,F,H and I, were to lead the storming line. Forming in line, the men lay for three hours, protected by a gentle slope of the ground, before orders were received to charge. Then Colonel Allen addressed them, saying: "Boys! you see those heights! You have got to take them! You think you cannot do it; but you can! You will do it! When the order "Forward" is given, you will start at double-quick-you will not fire a gun-you will not stop until you get the order to halt! You will never get that order!" At last the word "Forward!" rang along the line,and every man advanced with undaunted bravery. When within about one hundred yards of the stone wall, a terrible fire met them, and soon the batteries from the heights opened upon them. Cannon to right of them, Cannon the left of them, Cannon in front of them, Volleyed and thundered. The charging column returned noting the stone wall, bayoneting some of the sharpshooters and scattering the rest; clambering up the steep hill, and into the works on top, and there making captive the famous Washington Battery, of New Orleans. Justly has this been considered one of the most gallant acts of the war, and to the men who there displayed such heroic devotion, is due the greatful homage of the present and all future generations. The loss of Company A, as officially reported, was; Killed or died of wounds: Privates-Thomas Olcott, Frederick Salsmann, Francis Harlich, James Bride, Abraham Riley, Albert Sommer, Albert Boissart, Samuel H. Whaling, Henry Stick, Robert Beide. Wounded; First Lieutenant Horace Walker, Second Lieutenant A.B. Gibson, Sergeant Morris Mullins, Coporals-William Turpin, John K. Leykon, Albert Burbick, Francis Stirn. Privates-William C. Crocker, Samuel E. Dexter, Gottlieb Hermann, Lewis Lacount, Ole Nelson, Peter Renauld, Michael Relcher, Joseph Cox. Without rest or refreshments, or going back to take care of the killed or wounded, they were ordered to march at once to Chancellorville, where they formed the rear guard, allowing the Federal army to cross Bank's Ford in safety. A short time afer returning into camp, the "Light Division" was broken up, and the fifth assigned to the Third Brigade, First Division, Sixth Army Corps. At Getttysburg they were in the reserve and not acturally engaged, though exposed to the artillery fire. A few days after this memorable battle they were ordered to New York, and were stationed in detached companies along the Hudson, until the 17th of October, when they rejoined the army in Fairfax Station. On the 7th of November they took a prominent part in the charge on the enemy's works at Rappahannock station. In front of the redoubts were low flats covered with stumps, and crossed by deep ravines and ditches filled with water. Across these the boys rushed with a yell, with strict orders not to fire a shot until the works were reached. Onward they went, while the rebel shell, canister and musketry tore through their ranks. In this charge the gallant Captain Horace Walker was killed. Mr. Ed. Schindler was near him when the fatal bullet did its work. The young captain leaped high into the air and then fell to the ground, a lifeless form. Mr. J.S. Anderson also was near and was compelled to jump over the captain's body, on his way to the redoubts. When the Fifth arrived at the works, it was about dark, and very difficult to distinguish between friend and foe. Our men fired and then crossed bayonets. They took possesson of the centre redoubt and turned the guns on the rebels. The first man in the redoubt was Sergeant Joseph Goodwin, of company A, who turned a gun upon the enemy, and while in the act of firing, dropped dead, shot through the heart. The enemy tried to escape over a pontoon bridge, but such a fire was opened upon them that they were glad to surrender. The casulties of Company A, as officially reported, were: Killed: Captain Horace Walker, Sergeant Joseph Goodwin, Private Joseph Barth. Wounded: James H. Leonhard, A.J. Burbridge, Fred. Merrier, John Schwaker. The regiment returned into winter quarters at Brandy Station, where they remained until the opening of the campaign of 1864. That year they took part in the celebrated Wilderness campaign, and every where sustained their enviable reputation for bravey. The casualities of Campany A for the months of May and June of that year were: Killed: Private Michael Pelcha. Wounded-Lieutenant A.B. Gibson, Sergeant Jule Enert, Corporal Julius Jackson. Privates-Levi Croissant, Guido Lindemann, Gottlieb Hermann, John Stahl, John Valentine, Anthony Caldwell, Jeremiah Bonnipa, Jacob Meistness, George Holbrook, Joseph Cox, Wm. Davidson, Chas. Weidner. On the 112th of July the three years' term of the men expired, but they volunteered for the defense of Washinton (sic) which was then considered in danger. This danger being over, they left for Wisconsin on the 16th, where they received a hearty welcome from the State authorities and people in general, and were finally mustered out on the 2d of August. Thus ended the service of the original Fifth Wisconsin regiment, as brave a band of men as ever carried muskets. To the widows and orphans of those that fell, and now sleep in silence, a grateful people will give full support and protection, while to the survivors all due respect and reverence will be paid. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, November 15, 1881 P. 4

MANITOWOC MUSKETS. The Noble Ninth. The first company had scarecely left Manitowoc, before some of our German fellow citizens organized themselves into a company. We can remember the time plainly when this company drilled on Washington square, where, at the command of "charge," they would rush, with bayonets fixed, against the old rotten fence, which represented the rebel line. The company was composed of about one hundred men, and officered as follows: Captain, Fred. Becker; First Lieutenant, A.F. Dumke; Second Lieutenant, Gisbert Guetzloe. In the early part of September, 1861, they left for Camp Siegel, Milwaukee, where they were mustered into the United States service by the 26th of October. Frederick Solomon, a resident of Manitowoc, was made Colonel of the regiment, which was composed entirely of Germans, many of whom had seen service. Indeed, one historian tells us that "none of the Wisconsin regiments embraced so large a number of officers and soldiers of military experience as the Ninth." The Ninth left the State of Leavenworth, Kansas, on January 22nd, 1862. During the spring and summer of that year, it took part in several expeditions, but did not encounter any considerable force of the enemy until the 29th of September, at Newtonia. Company B arrive the day after the battle, and drove the enemy out of Newtonia with but little loss to themselves. During the fall and winter they were encamped near Rhea's Mils, where they were occupied in making flour and supplying bread, and performing a sort of patrol duty. February 20th, they went into winter quarters at Stahle's Creek, Missouri. Until July 8th, 1863, they were stationed at various points in Missouri, engaged in guard duty. They were then removed to St. Louis, where they remained until the 10th of October, when they went into winter quarters at Little Rock, Arkansas. The regiment was assigned to General Rice's brigade, and participated in the Red River expedition, which left Little Rock on the 23d of March. The brigade was placed in the rear, with orders to guard the supply and pontoon trains. While thus engaged the men were attacked by General Shelby, but repulsed him. This was on the 2nd of April, and the following members of the Manitowoc company were killed: Privates-Wm. Berger, F. Ristowsky, Wenzel Wakerhausen and Carl Kuehn. On the return of the expedition to Little Rock, Solomon's division formed the rear guard and was to protect the army in its crossing at Jenkin's Ferry. Rice's brigade was sent out to keep the enemy in check. Two miles of train and artillery must cross before our men could withdraw. Under these circumstances nothing was left but to fight long enough to enable the army to cross. To make matters still worse, the country was flooded. At five o'clock in the morning of April 20th, the skirmishing began. The rebels tried to deceive our boys by being partly dressed in national uniforms, and by driving before them a flock of sheep, to create the impression that they were returning foraging expedition; but the trick would not work and after hard fighting the enemy was driven back. Again the rebels came on, and again they were repulsed. Ammunition being short it was supplied and preparations made for another attack. And it soon came, with renewed energy and vigor; for over an hour musketry rattled incessantly along the whole line. Early in the action General Rice was wounded, and the command of the brigade devolved upon Col. E. Solomon, who did much to encourage his men by his personal presence and total disregard of danger. General Solomon speaks in enthusiastic terms of the conduct of his men. "Our men forgot that they were tired, forgot that they were hungry-only remembered that they were ordered to hold their ground." Firing ceased at two o'clock, and the troops withdrew slowly and in good order, collecting the dead and wounded and bringing away as many as possible. During the battle a flag was captured from the enemy by wagoner John Wolhaupt and private William Ohler; both of these were men from Manitowoc. The flag may yet be seen, carefully preserved in the Historical Rooms at Madison. All agree that the Ninth behaved with conspicuous gallantry in this action. The loss of Company B was as follows: Killed:- Sergeant, Meyer; Privates, Anton Burkhardt, Henry Breitung. Wounded: Privates John Kumdik, J. Fetzer, Jacob Thiele, Simon Wehrwein, William Kuck, Ad. Prebe. After the battle of Jenkins' Ferry, the Ninth returned to Little Rock and was principally engaged in the erection of a chain of forts around the town. In November, 1964, those who had not reenlisted were mustered out and returned to Milwaukee, where they were cordially received, paid off and disbanded. This ends the history of a regiment of men whom fortune did not place upon the great historic battlefields of the east, but who were compelled to endure the hardships of the frontier, and guard against invasion from the wild Indians. How well they did their duty history shows. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, November 22, 1881 P. 4

MANITOWOC MUSKETS. Historical Sketches of Manitowoc County Men who Left Home to Fight for the Union. COMPANY E, FOURTEENTH REGIMENT. "The Wisconsin Regulars." ALWAYS STEADY, COOL AND COURAGEOUS. At Shiloh and Corinth. The next company that left Manitowoc was assigned to the Fourteenth regiment as company E. There were many of our townsmen in the different companies of that regiment, whose exploits and experiences we will take up at a later period. We must now confine ourselves to the histories of the companies. The regiment aesembled (sic) at Fond du Lac in January, 1862, and on the last day of that month was mustered into the United States service. The officers of Company E were as follows: Captain, George E. Waldo; First Lieutenant, Levi W. Vaughn; Second Lieutenant, Don A. Shove. February was passed in drilling in camp, and in March they proceeded to St. Louis, where they remained a short time, being assigned to provost guard duty at Savannah. They had hardly been there a week, when they were called to take a hand in one of the bloodiest battles of the war-Shiloh. On Sunday, the 6th of April, this battle was begun at Pittsburg Landing, seven miles above Savannah, where our boys lay in camp. In the afternoon of that day they received orders to proceed to the scene of action, arrived on the field at midnight, formed in line of battle, and patiently awaited the dawn of day, while the rain poured down upon them, standing knee-deep in mud. At an early hour of the next morning they were ordered to the front and commanded to take a rebel battery, stationed on a ridge in front of them, and supported by the Crescent City Brigade. The rebel battery opened the fight with shot and shell. Our boys were ordered to lie down, that the hostile missiles might pass over their heads, while a Chicago battery behind them took up the challenge. This battery the rebels were bound to take, and their infantry moved on to the charge. The Fourteenth rose from the ground and drove back the enemy for some distance, but were in turn driven back. Rallying, they charged again and succeeded in obtaining possession of the battery, but could not hold it very long, since the rest of the brigade failed to reinforce them. They therefor fell back to with sixty rods of their original line. Three times they charged, always with the same result. Finally, on the fourth assault, the fortunes of war favored them, and they held the battery, driving the enemy from the field. They remained here until the enemy was retreating on all sides, and were immediately assigned to perform guard duty at Pittsburg Landing. For the bravery and excellent discipline they displayed on this their first field, they received the sobriquet of "Wisconsin Regulars," by which they were ever afterwards known in the army. And well did they derserve (sic) it. Having but just left their homes, with only a months experience in drilling, and most of them having no military experience whatever, it was indeed wonderful that they should display the coolness and bravery of veterans. It was in this battle that Captain George Waldo, a brother of our esteemed townsman, W.W. Waldo, Esq., was killed, while bravely leading the Manitowoc company to the charge. He was like all the Waldos, tall and slim in stature, broad and generous in nature. The official record of Company E shows: Killed or died of wounds-Captain George E. Waldo, Private Ezra B. Austin. Wounded-Privates, William Barnth, Julius Wintermeier, William Flinn, Ale Tufts, Samuel Gokee, John Lovell, Robert Lee, and Willett C. Wheeler. After enduring the hardships and perils at Shiloh, without food, they were immediately ordered to perform guard duty at Pittsburg Landing. For many days they were without shelter and without sufficient rations. It was continually raining during the time, and these exposures brought on much sickness. In July they were removed to Hamburg, Tenn., and engaged in the same kind of duty. Captain Vaughn of Company E was appointed Provost Marshal. Here they remained about one month, when they were assigned to the Sixt Division, commanded by General McArthur, and took part in the movements around Corinth. The battle of Corinth was opened on the 2d of October by the second brigade of McArthur's Division, Colonel Oliver commanding. On the morning of the 3d skirmishing recommenced. The brigade slowly fell back and made a stand on the crest of a hill near the railroad track, and the battle began in dead earnest. The Fourteenth occupied the post of honor, the most advanced position in the line of battle, and was ordered to hold it by all means, and that, too, without reinforcements. At the foot of the hill Company E was deployed as a skirmish line, supported by Company F. Here they gallantly fought until the rebels rushed upon them with increase numbers, when they slowly retreated towards their comrades on the hill, losing their brave Captain Vaughn. Captain Vaughn was the popular sheriff of Kewaunee county when he enlisted; he was commissioned First Lieutenant of Company E at its organizatirn (sic), and on the death of Captain George Waldo, was promoted to the captaincy. He is described to have been a very gentlemanly soldier whose loss brought tears to the eyes of his men. The regiment held its position from nine in the moring till one in the afternoon, all the while being exposed to a terrible cross-fire from the enemy's advanced lines. It was only when they were flanked upon both sides and the enemy charged upon them in a column that they retired. In this battle the loss of Company E was as follows: Killed or died of wounds-Captain Levi W. Vaughn, Privates Morris Van Dooser and Freeling Westgate. Wounded-Corporal Francis E. Engle, Private Warner P. Thayer. The commander of the regiment makes honorable mention of several in his official report. He particularly praises Sergeant B.F. Goodwin and Private Andrew Flagg, of Company E, also Sergeant Majory John M. Read. "One of the color guard, Corporal Joseph Doucet, of Company E, deserves honorable mention. While defending the regimental colors, which the enemy attempted to capture, he received a severe bayonet wound in the groin, on account of which he was subsequently discharged and pensioned by the government."-(Official Report.) The following extract from the report of Colonel Oliver, commanding the brigade, may not be out of place: "The Fourteenth Wisconsin Volunteers there was no discount on-always steady, cool and courageous. This regiment was the one to rely upon in any emergency. Though suffering more loss than any other regiment in the command, they maintained their lines and delivered their fire with all the precision and coolness which could have been maintained upon drill. I would call your attention to the death of Captain Vaughn, who fell at the end of the old line of the enemy's breastworks, nobly suported by Captain Harrison. They steadily held the party of skirmishers on our right and front, at the foot of the hill, where we had so long and fierce a fight. Captain Vaughn gave his life for his country." The Fourteenth joined in the pursuit of the retreating enemy, and returned to Corinth on the 12th, and went into camp. Here they remained until November, when they marched to Grand Junction, Miss., and from there to Abeville, in the same state, where they went into camp on the 5th of December, 1862. They left this place on the 18th of December, and accompanied the movements of the army, and on the last day of the year 1862, we find them in camp at Moscow, Tenn., where we will leave them for the present. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, November 29, 1881 P. 5 ************ Fighting Fifth Once More---Officers of Campany A. We neglected in our sketch of this company, as well as Company B, of the Ninth, to give a list of their officers at different periods of the war. Company A of the Fifth enlisted with the following officers: Captain, Temple Clark; First Lieutenant Horace Walker; Second Lieutenant, Peter Sherfius. Captain Clark resigned his commission April 9, 1862. Lieutenant Walker was then promoted to the captaincy. Lieutenant Peter Sherfius having resigned in January, 1862, Wilson S. Goodwin, who filled his place, was made First Lieutenant, and Henry Roehr Second Lieutenant. The latter held the position until August 12, 1862, when he resigned. James Malcomber was appointed in his place, and he resigned in February, 1863. The office was then filled by Aaron B. Gibson. After the death of Captain Walker, First Lieutenant Goodwin was promoted to captain, Second Lieutenant Gibson to Frist (sic) Lieutenant, and Sergeant Jule Enert to Second Lieutenant. Captain Goodwin resigned April 19, 1864; the other officers remained with the company until it was mustered out in July of that year. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, November 29, 1881 P. 5

A NEW DEAL SHORT BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES OF THE OFFICERS WHO WERE SWORN IN YESTERDAY. R.D. SMART, COUNTY JUDGE. Mr. Smart was born in the parish of St. Patrick, province of New Brunswick, and on Christmas eve, of this year, 1882, will be just half a century old. He received a common school education. In 1855 he came to Wisconsin and settled at the Rapids in Manitowoc county. He began life here at the bottom of the ladder, and afterwards became a partner with Mr. Geo. Pankratz, and engaged in the lumber business. For several years he was in the mercantile business, partner of Wyman Murphy, now a resident of California. In 1872 he was elected sheriff, in which office he gave general satisfaction and added to his already popularity. After his term expired, he was sent to the Assembly of 1875, where he won the respect and friendship of his colleagues. Shortly after, he was appointed U.S. Deputy Revenue Collector for the Third District. This office he held continuously until January 1, 1882, when he was sworn in as County Judge, to which office he was elected by a large majority last spring. As Revenue Collector Mr. Smart made a model officer, and there is reason to believe that he will make a similar record as County Judge. During the time intervening between his election and his entering upon the duties of the office, he has applied himself diligently to the study of probate law. This, added to his natural sound judgment, renders him exceptionally well qualified for the position to which he has been chosen. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, January 3, 1882 P. 1 ************ FRED P. MUELLER, REGISTER OF DEEDS. Mr. Mueller was born in Humberston, Ontario, on March 3, 1849. From here his parents removed in 1849 to Ozaukee county, in this State, where he resided for about 17 years. During the time of the war, he passed two and a half years in study at the Theological College of Buffalo, N.Y. In 1868, he completed a full course at the celebrated Bryant & Stratton's Business College. Mr. Mueller started in life as a school teacher at Detroit. He afterwards succeeded in obtaining a position in a wholesale drug house in New York City. This position he held for seven years and finally quit it to enter the perfumery business "on his own hook" so to speak. He was engaged in this business for about a year, when he determined to try his luck West. He came to Manitowoc on September 18, 1876, and in February, 1877, was appointed duputy in the office of Register of Deeds. This position he has occupied until last fall, when he was elected Register of Deeds by an overwhelming majority. It is unnecessary to predict that he will perform the duties of his office in a business-like and correct manner,-that is a foregone conclusion. The Register's office without Fred in it, woul (sic) seem strange and lonely. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, January 3, 1882 P. 1 ************ HUBERT FALGE, CLERK OF THE CIRCUIT COURT. Mr. Falge is a Bohemian by birth and has received an excellent classical education. He came to Manitowoc some years after the war. He edited a German paper for some time and was engaged in the manufacture of glue. At one time he was employed as teacher of German in the First Ward school. He has held various town offices and in 1877 was elected Clerk of the Circuit Court. To this office he has been re-elected twice, which makes him a "third-termer." Mr. Falge is always gentlemanly in the performance of his duties, and no complaint on this score has ever been made. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, January 3, 1882 P. 1 *************** W.H. HEMSCHEMEYER, U.S. REVENUE COLLECTOR. Mr. Hemschemeyer was born in Stolzenan, Hannover, on May 19, 1835. He received a common school education. In 1848 he came with his paretns to this country and settled in the town of Newton, Manitowoc county. He worked on his father's farm but afterwards caught the Western fever. After spending a few years in the far West, he returned to Manitowoc. When the war broke out, he enlisted as a private in Co. F, 26th Wis. Vols., and was immediately appointed sergeant. He was afterwards promoted to first lieutenant and then to captain, and held this rank when he was mustered out. He took part in the battles of Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Lookout Valley, Lookout Mountain, Lot Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, Savannah, Averesborough and Bentonville. His military record is one that any man may well be proud of and alone entitles him to the office to which he has been appointed. Returning from the war he was engaged in various kinds of business. In 1868 he was the republican candidate for sheriff. He has been alderman, city clerk and justice of the peace. He represented his district in the Assembly of 1878 and again in 1879. He was a delegate to the National Republican Convention that nominated Garfield. His record as a soldier and as a representative of the people, gives ample assurance that his record as a government officer will be equally satisfactory. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, January 3, 1882 P. 1 ************ JOHN NAGLE, COUNTY SUPERINTENDENT. Mr. Nagle was born in Canada, but soon removed to Memee, Manitowoc County. He is self-educated, having never attended anything but a county school. He has taught in Sauck (sic) City, Two Rivers and other places throughout the county. When he quit teaching, he entered upon the study of law. On the death of T.G. Olmstead, he took charge of the Pilot, which afterwards absorbed the Tribune. In the spring of 1880, he was appointed County Superintendent, Mr. Viebahn having resigned. Last fall he was elected, after as bitter a political fight as ever occurred in this county. As an editor Mr. Nagle is acknowledged as a graceful and clean writer; as an educator, he has a state reputation and undoubtedly will keep the schools of our county up to their present excellent standard. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, January 3, 1882 P. 1

MNAITOWOC (sic) MUSKETS. COMPANY F. FIFTHEENTH (sic) WIS. VOLS. "For God and Our Country." As the Ninth was exclusively a German regiment, so the Fifteenth was made up almost wholly of Scandinavians, men whose ancestors, centuries ago, crossed the stormy Atlantic in their open boats and were the first Europeans to land on America's shores. The regiment was organized at Camp Randal, Madison, Kiler K. Jones, a former citizen of Manitowoc, superintending its organization, as Lieutenant Colonel (sic). Hans C. Heg, who had been appointed Colonel, was kept busy attending to his duties as State Prison Commissioner. The regiment left the State on the 2nd of March, Col. Heg, commanding. Most of the men from Manitowoc were assigned to Company F, and Chas. Gustaveson, the well-known veteran, placed in command. The company was accepted into the service of the U.S. for the term of three years on the 14th day of January, 1862, by R.L. Lammot, Capt. 13th Inf., mustering officer. The following will show the condition of the company, as appears from a copy of the muster-in-roll, kindly furnished us by Capt. Gustaveson: Charles Gustaveson, captain; Thor Simonson, second lietenant (sic); Swen Samuelson, second lieutenant; John P. Johnson, first sergeant; John Ober, sergeant; Neils I. Gilbert, sergeant; R. Murry House, sergeant; Knud Torreson, sergeant; Christen J. Lawsen, corporal; Ole B. Johnson, corporal; Even Gjeraldson, corporal; Gilbert Paulson, corporal; Charles Hultman, corporal; Andrew Thompson, corporal; Erick Knudson, corporal; Wm. A. Fischer, corporal; Ole K. Knudson, musician; Torry Larsen, Wagoner. PRIVATES. Einer Anderson, Reinhard Bauer, Johannes Bergum, Andreas Berg, Sver Bjorgoson, Peter Bloom, Ole Christenson, Hans Christenson, Ole L. Christianson, Olans H. Dahl, Hedlge C. Ellingbo, Eling Elingson, Knud Erickson, Joseph G. Fisher, John Flack, Rose Fredenburg, Tosten I. Gilbert, Gulbran Gilbert, Trond Neilson, Albert Olson, Gustav Olson, Thomas Olson, Knud Olson, Gudman Olson, Ole W. Olson, Ole S. Olson, Ole B. Olson, Tosten O. Oppen, Salve Osolfson, Ole Runberg, Olson Rumberg, William Seavit, John Seymore, John Grell, Ole Gunstenson, Ole Halderson, Niels Halverson, Hans Hanson, Lemnel S. House, Knud Iverson, Gunder Jorgenson, Gulick Knudson, Ole N. Knudson, Trund Knudson, Michael Larson, Hans H. Lerum, Albert Mickelson, Andrew Mickelson, R.G.T. Morbeck, Christ. Mullen, Ole Nielson, Jacob Siler, Wm. Speckeman, Reinhard Steffs, Knud Syverson, Thomas Thompson, Torkel Torgersen, Tove Torkelsen, Gilbert Trondsen, Christ Tostenson, Ole Tostenson, Ole K. Viegen, Peter Vinson, Wm. Wilson, Mads Williamson, Conrad Weckler. The oldest member was Reinhardt Morbeck, aged 49 ysars (sic). The youngest were Einer Anderson, Reinhardt Bauer, Ole K. Vigen, each one about 17 years old. Joseph G. Fisher was appointed Adjutant's clerk, Dec- 14, 1861. As before stated, the regiment left the State on March 2, 1862. At Chicago the Scandinavian society "Nora" presented the regiment with a splendid flag. On one side were the American colors, with gilt stars in a blue field; on the other was the American eagle beside the Norwegian lion. On the flag was inscribed, "Presented by the Society Nora, of Chicago, to the Scandinavian Regiment, March 1, 1862." The motto on the flag, "For God and our Country," was indeed expressive of the sentiments of the brave men who were to march, fight and, perhaps, die with its silken folds waving over them. The colors were accepted by Col. Heg in an appropriate speech. But the regiment had no time to tarry and immediately hastened on to St. Louis, where they were ordered to proceed to Bird's Point, opposite Cario, Ill. Here they were comfortably quartered in barracks. But soon they were again on the move. On the 14th of March Col. Heg with six companies embarked on transports, and joined Commodore Foote in his expedition against Island No. 11. The Fifteenth was kept busy performing picket and siege duty until the surrender of the rebel garrison, when the 15th was left to garrison the Island. Here they were joined by the other companies which had been left at Bird's Point. Manitowoc Lake Shore Times, Tuesday, January 3, 1882 P. 4