CHRONOLOGY OF MANITOWOC COUNTY 1674 Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet, on their return from the discovery of the Mississippi River, by way of the Chicago Portage, paddled along the shore of our county on their way to Green Bay. 1675 Father Marquette on his way southward again passes our shores in canoes. 1679 La Salle with fourteen men leaves Green Bay, crosses the Sturgeon Bay Portage, and passes the Manitowoc county shore on his journey southward. 1693 Father Allonez voyaged on the West Shore of Lake Michigan on his way to Illinois. 1699 The Jesuit missionary St. Cosme and Henri de Tonty are the next travelers to see our shores; likewise southward bound. 1779 Pilot Samuel Robertson of the British sloop Felicity learns from the Indians of Milwaukee that Monsieur Fay, a trader, is stationed at Two Riv- ers. This is the first historic allusion to any locality of Manitowoc county. 1763 New France including Manitowoc county was ceded by France to Great Britain, as a result of the French and Indian war. I774 By the Quebec Act Manitowoc county was included in the Province of Quebec. 1783 By the Treaty of Paris, at the end of the Revolutionary war, all the Territory east of the Mississippi was ceded by Great Britain to the United States. 1784-5-6-Virginia, Massachusetts and Connecticut ceded to the federal gov- ernment such claims to trans-Alleghany lands (including Manitowoc county) as they inherited through royal charters. 1787 By the Ordinance of 1787 the Northwest Territory was organized including the present states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. Local government in Wisconsin was, however, still under the control of British fur traders, who were protected by the British garrison at Mackinac, this with other posts on the upper Great Lakes being retained by Great Britain until 1796, in violation of the Treaty of Paris. 1795 Jean Vieau, an employee of the Northwest Fur Company is sent from Mackinac to establish trading posts on the west shore of Lake Michigan. Land- ing at Two Creeks he proceeds to town Gibson establishing one on Jambo Creek, section 27, and another at Manitowoc Rapids. 1800 Indiana Territory organized including Wisconsin with General Wil- liam Henry Harrison as governor, Wisconsin becoming a part of St. Clair county. 1804 Captain Thomas G. Anderson journeys from Milwaukee to Green Bay on foot. Remains one night at the lodge of a Pottawottomie chief, Nanabonjon at Two Rivers, who entertains him with an account of the origin of his tribe. 1809 Illinois Territory created including what is now Michigan and Wisconsin. The lands of our county continued in St. Clair county. 1816-17 In this winter Mr. Bouteiller was the licensed trader among the natives at Two Rivers. 1818 Michigan Territory organized including Wisconsin, our county was then included in Brown county. 1818 Col. Abraham Edwards with seven canoemen pass Manitowoc and Two Rivers where the lake was lined with Indians spearing fish. 1821 Dr. William S. Madison, post surgeon at Fort Howard, while on a furlough, homeward bound for Kentucky, is shot from ambush by Ketauhah, a Chippewa Indian, near Francis Creek on the Green Bay Road. The murderer is hanged at Detroit in the following December. 1825 Colonel William S. Hamilton, son of Alexander Hamilton, with a drove of cattle for the Green Bay garrison, passes along the Green Bay Road. 1827 Chief Mexico signs the treaty of Butte de Morts. 1828 Chief Mexico signs the treaty of Green Bay. 1829 Chief Mexico signs the treaty of Prairie du Chien. 1830 The Menominee tribe sold to the United States all that territory including Manitowoc county east of Green Bay, Fox River, Lake Winnebago and the Milwaukee River. 1832 Joshua I. Boyd granted a traders license to trade at Two Rivers, Neeshotiwajoc, but was murdered by a drunken Chippewa before reaching his destination. 1833 Chief Mexico signs the treaty of Chicago. 1833-36 Alexis Clermont carries mail along the Green Bay Road from Green Bay to Chicago on foot with an Oneida Indian for companion. The trip including return occupied one month. 1835 Survey of Menominee Purchase of 1831 complete and lands opened for settlement. 1835 - August 3 First entry of land in county that of Louis Fizette and William Jones at Manitowoc. 1835 - Sept. 10 First entry of land at Two Rivers by Daniel Wells, Jr., S. W. Beal and Morgan L. Martin. 1836 William and Benjamin Jones of Chicago and other land speculators organize the Manitowoc Land Company best known as Jones, King R Company. 1836 - July 3 Wisconsin set off from Michigan, becomes Wisconsin Territory. I836 - Dec. 7 Manitowoc county set off from Brown by act of legislature. 1837 A sawmill built by Thayer, Rouse & Thompson on Manitowoc River at Thayersville, now Heins Mill. Robert M. Eberts and Judge John P. Arndt built a sawmill at Two Rivers. A sawmill built at Rapids by Jacob Conroe. A sawmill built at Neshoto by Stringham & Burnham. 1837 - July First postoffice in county established at Manitowoc Rapids. J. W. Conroe, postmaster. Two mails weekly. Francis Flynn, mailcarrier. 1837 Population of county about 180. Manitowoc 60; Two Rivers and Rapids each about 40; Thayersville 20; dwindling to 6o in all in the fall when the panic of 37 was at its height. Lots sold at the enormous price of $1200, which at the end of the year were practically worthless. 1837 - July First wedding, ceremony performed by Benjamin Jones. E. L. Abbott to Marie Smith, sister of Perry P. Smith. 1837 - September First white child born in county, daughter of D. S. Munger at Two Rivers. 1837 - October First white child born in Manitowoc, Adaline, daughter of Benjamin Jones, later the wife of Dr. S. C. Blake. 1838 - Dec. 17 The whole of county set off into the single town of Conroe, and organized for county purposes. 1839 - March 4 First election in the county (town of Conroe) held at the house of Pliny Pierce, Rapids. 40 votes cast. 1839 The first private school taught by S. M. Peak at Manitowoc. 1840 Total population of county is 240. 1840 County House finished at Rapids by J. W. Conroe at a cost of $650. 1841 First public school taught in county by Mr. Beardsley at Rapids. 1842 Population of county, 263. 1843 County divided into four road districts. 1843 South Pier on Franklin street, at Manitowoc, built by Case 8 Clark. 1844 - Feb, 28 St. James Episcopal parish of Manitowoc organized, the oldest congregation of the county Rev. Gustavus Unonius holding divine services. 1844 - May 7 The county commissioners order the laying out of a road from the mouth of the Manitowoc River westerly to Oliver C. Hubbards mill at Rapids. 1844 County Commissioners grant five tavern licenses to five individuals at $5 each; one at Neshoto if applied for; one at the mouth of Two Rivers; one at the mouth of Manitowoc River, two at Manitowoc Rapids. 1844 Chief Mexico died and was buried at Rapids. 1846 Population of county, 629. 1846 Cooperstown postoffice established, then in Brown County, 1846 - February The legislature appointed a commission consisting of Paul Champlin, E. L. Abbott and Pliny Pierce, to lay out a territorial road from Mani- towoc to Fond du Lac. This was the beginning of the Calumet Road. 1846 Postoffice of Meeme established, Hy .B. Edson, postmaster. 1847 Manitowoc postoffice established, J. H. Colby, postmaster. 1847 - Feb. 11. The legislature appointed a commission consisting of Evander M. Soper, Loyal H. Jones and Jas. D. Doty to lay out a road from Manitowoc to Menasha, then known as Winnebago Rapids. 1847 - April 5 First bridge in county completed and accepted. Built by Ira Clark and Thomas Cunningham over the Manitowoc River at Rapids. 1847 - May 2 A private census of Manitowoc by Adolph Wallich gives Manitowoc a population of 89. 1847 - July 12 Pest house in Manitowoc completed. 1847 Capt. Joseph V. Edwards built the first schooner, the Citizen, of 64 tons. 1848 - Mar. 2 Manitowoc county judicially separated from Brown county and included in the third judicial district, Judge A. W. Stow, presiding for first time, Sept. 15, 1848. O. C. Hubbard was chosen sheriff and E. Ricker, clerk. E. K Ellis, J. W. Colby and J. L. Kyle were admitted to the bar. 1848 - May 29 Wisconsin admitted to statehood. 1849 - Jan. 9 The county commissioners divide the town of Conroe into four towns: Two Rivers, Manitowoc, Manitowoc Rapids and Meeme. First town meetings soon after are held at the house of Sebastian Boldus, American House, County House and at the house of Hy B. Edson, respectively. 1849 Bridges built at Manitowoc, Little Manitowoc and East Twin River. 1849 - June 18 System of County Commissioners superseded by the County Board of Supervisors. First meeting held June 28, Andrew J. Vieau representing Manitowoc; John Stewart, Two Rivers; Chas. McAllister, Rapids; Thos. Cunningham, Meeme, the first named being chosen chairman. 1849 - Dec. 11 Jail completed and accepted. 1850 - Feb. 9-By act of legislature, the northern tier of towns including Cooperstown, Gibson, Two Creeks and that part of Mishicot within Town 21, taken from Brown and added to Manitowoc county. 1850 - Feb. 18 Town of Newton, (including Liberty and Eaton) set off first election held later at house of F. Truettner. Town Centerville set off from Meeme, first election held later at house of W. N. Adams. Chas. Koehler, first supervisor. 1850 - September Town of Maple Grove, including Franklin, Cato and Rockland, set off from Manitowoc Rapids; first election held later at house of A. E. Sherwood. M. C. Brown, first supervisor. 1850 - Nov, 30 The Manitowoc Herald, the first newspaper of the county established with C. W. Fitch as editor. 1850 - Nov. 30 - The Manitowoc and Rapids Plank Road will be passible through by the first of January. It is planked across the swamp, and graded as far as the bluffs. The ravine bridge is completed, and the river bridge is considerably advanced. The planks will be laid early in the spring. Manitowoc County Herald, Manitowoc, Wis. November 30, 1850 P. 2 1850 Population of county 3,702. 1850 First cholera invasion of county. Cholera first appeared in Two Rivers. Among the victims were Judge Ezekiel Ricker, District Attorney J. L. Kyle, John Plumb and Rev. Geo. W. Thompson, the Episcopal rector. 1850 Full set of county officers elected for the first time. 1851 - March 6 Manitowoc incorporates as a village. At the succeeding election George Reed is chosen president; Gustavus Richter, treasurer; A. Wittmann, marshal. First village board consisted of C. Hottlemann; J. F. Zinns, Evander M. Soper, of the first ward; and Michael Fellows, J. Bennett and Jarvis E. Platt of the second ward, and these selected S. A. Wood as clerk. 1851 - March 15 Manitowoc & Mississippi railroad incorporated by act of legislature, the incorporators being George Reed, H. McAllister, Peleg Glover, Gustavus Richter and Charles Esslinger of Manitowoc; and Charles Doty, Curtis Reed, and J. Keyes of Winnebago county; and T. Conkey, J. Hanchett and Oscar Clark of Outagamie county. Capital stock $1,500,000. Internal dissensions and mutual recriminations among the stockholders retarded work until 1872, when its successor the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western railroad was completed from Manitowoc to Appleton. 1851 - Apr. 16 Chickerming Lodge No. 55, I. O. O. F. instituted in Manitowoc, the first lodge organized in the county. 1851 The Wisconsin Leather Company, Cyrus Whitcomb, Rufus & Geo. W. Allen, erected the largest tannery in the Northwest in section 25, town Two Rivers. It was 315x5o feet long, consumed 7,000 tons of bark and tanned 60,000 hides annually, the hides being obtained from Texas. 1851 - May 24 The superintendents of poor were authorized by the county board to purchase the S. E. 1/4 of section 16, Rapids for a poor farm, and appropriated $3oo for erecting a suitable house and furniture and provisions for same. Town system of poor abolished. 1851 First Lutheran congregation organized by Rev. C. F. Goldammer in town Newton. 1851 - November Town of Kossuth set off (including Cooperstown) from Manitowoc Rapids. First election held at schoolhouse, near the tavern of Joseph Paquin in French Creek; William Eatough, elected chairman. 1851, November Town of Eaton set off from town Newton. At the ensuing election at the postoffice in Chaunceyville, George Monroe was elected supervisor. 1852 Wisconsin Demokrat first German paper of Free Soil proclivities established by Chas. Roeser. Later became the "Union Demokrat and discontinued in 1866. 1852 First congressional appropriation for Manitowoc harbor, $8,000. 1851-2 First Catholic churches built at Manitowoc Rapids, Two Rivers, Cooperstown, Meeme, Maple Grove and French Creek. 1852 Town of Mishicot separated from town of Two Rivers. At the ensuing election Albert Borcherdt was elected chairman and Lorenz Peterson clerk. Name changed to Saxonburgh in 1853, but restored in 1854. 1852 South river road completed. 1852 - April 3o County house at Rapids destroyed by fire. County records saved. 1853 - April 14 By a vote of 498 to 60 the county seat was removed from Rapids to Manitowoc. 1853 - May The first burial at Evergreen cemetery in Manitowoc, that of J. H. Colby. Bodies removed from farmer cemetery, corner of Eighth and Park streets. 1853 - Nov. 16 Resolutions passed by county board to print its proceedings in German as well as in English, Chas. W. Fitch and Chas. Roeser to print such for one year, until Nov. 20, 1854. 1854 - April 25 Manitowoc Tribune established, S. W. Smith, editor. 1854 A bridge pier built at Two Rivers. 1854 Manitowoc was made a port of entry, C. W. Fitch deputy collector. A fog bell also placed at the rivers mouth. 1854 Second cholera invasion. 1854 - June Mishicot postoffice established, F. M. Falrich, postmaster. August Maple Grove postoffice established, Joseph H. Cheney, postmaster. October Branch postoffice established, W. R. Williams, postmaster. 1854 - August Arrival of colonists at St. Nazianz under leadership of Rev. Ambrose Oschwald, from province of Baden, Germany. 1855 - Jan. - Our Lumbermen are making extensive preparations for the winter's business. Notwithstanding the hard times, the exports for the ensuing year will not be any less than those of the past. Operations have already commenced in the neighborhood of Two Rivers, and considerable has already been done. Shipbuilding is one of the most promiment features in the business of both places, the Shipyards resound with the merry notes of the saw and hammer, and large skelton frames are rising, and assuming the appearance of a dead horse. Some new buildings are going up and they are rented as soon as completed. Manitowoc Tribune, Manitowoc, Wis. Monday, January 8, 1855 P. 2 1855 - Jan. - INCREASED MAIL SERVICES-We understand that the people of Two Rivers, Manitowoc Co. are hereafter to have a mail three times a week, instead of once as heretofore. This increase should have been made long ago, the large amount of mail matter passing over that route demanding it; but we suppose the people ought to be thankful for any favors in this ??? and say nothing.-??? Sentinal Journal. Through the courtesy of the stage ?????? at this place, we have but the advantage of a daily mail, but the neighbors at Two Rivers, have not shared its benefits, so that the information contained in the above, will not be without ??? ???them at least. Manitowoc Tribune, Manitowoc, Wis. Wednesday, January 24, 1855 P. 3 ******** We copied an article last week from the Sheboygan Journal, containing a slight misrepresentation, which we overlooked at the time. The article intimated that Two Rivers had received only one mail per week whereas they have never been without a semi weekly, and part the time have had a tri weekly mail. We make the correction in justice to the contractor. Manitowoc Tribune, Manitowoc, Wis. Wednesday, January 31, 1855 P. 3 1855 - Feb. - WANTED. Ten good Shingle-weavers, to whom constant employment will be given through the winter and good wages paid. Apply to H.G. HAMILTON Two Rivers, Sept. 26, 1854 Manitowoc Tribune, Manitowoc, Wis. Wednesday, February 14, 1855 P. 5 1855 - The new Pier. We visited the location of this new enterprise last week. The ground is strewed with timber, which Messrs Hughes & Rand were shaping for future use. The pile driver is nearly completed and will commence operations early in April. Manitowoc Tribune, Manitowoc, Wis. Thursday, March 15, 1855 P. 3 1855 - Navigation opened The first Steamer. Navigation opened. Quite a number of people were on the pier of E.C. Hubbard last Sunday Morning to welcome the Steamer Superior Capt. Tompkins on her first trip this season. She had the familiar look of an old friend and a proof that apearances (sic) were not deceitful in this respect may be found in the pile of frieght unloaded at the pier. We learn that she will make regular trips from Chicago to this place and Two Rivers for the present but her next arrival will of course depend upon the kind of weather which she has to encounter. As soon as possible she will run to Green Bay. Manitowoc Tribune, Manitowoc, Wis. Thursday, March 22, 1855 P. 3 1855 - April 9 - The German Evangelical Luther church was established by Pastor Goldammer at Manitowoc. In 1860 the name was changed to First German Evangelical Lutheran church. 1855 - April 21 Freier Saengerbund organized at Manitowoc and kept up ever since. 1855 - August Newtonburgh postoffice established. John Meyer, postmaster. 1855 Oslo postoffice established. 1855 - Nov. 16 Town of Schleswig set off from town of Meeme, and as first organized known as town of Abel. First election at the house of Henry Belitz. Hy Belitz elected chairman. 1855 - Nov. 19 Town of Franklin (including town of Cato) set off from Maple Grove, Alanson Hickok being elected chairman, First election held at schoolhouse in District No. 1. 1855 Goodrich Transportation Company organized. Daily trips between Milwaukee and Two Rivers. 1855 Population of county 3,018. 1856 - January Postoffices established at Eaton, Niles, Francis Creek and Centerville. November Cato set off from town of Franklin, and organized at the ensuing April election, Alanson Hickok chosen chairman. November Rockland set off from Maple Grove. At the ensuing election Louis Faulhaber elected chairman and John B. Burke clerk. November Cooperstown set off from Rapids. At the organization of town J. R. Weber was elected chairman, John Seger clerk, 1856 - Feb. 16 Manitowoc Lodge No. 65, F. & A. M., receives charter. 1857 - October Manitowoc County Agricultural Association holds the first annual fair in Washington Park square. Jacob Lueps was the first president. For nine successive years the fair was held at the same place. 1857 - Nov. 16 Town of Buchanan set off from Eaton and organized next year with O. O. Oppen as chairman. 1858 - March 31 Two Rivers incorporates as a village. In May, H. C. Hamilton is chosen first president. 1858 - May 31 Messrs. Smith and Stone change the Weekly Tribune to the Manitowoc Daily Tribune. After 1861 it was published tri-weekly. 1858 T. C. Shove Banking Company organized, continuing in business until 1892 when it closed its doors. 1858 - Nov. 9 Town of Gibson set off from Mishicot. At the next spring election held at the schoolhouse in District No. 3, Jason Pellet was chosen chairman, Luther Pellet treasurer; and Byron Markham clerk. 1858 - Dec. 22 Bank of Manitowoc organized, C. C. Barnes, president; J. C. Barnes, cashier In 1866 it became the First National Bank of Manitowoc. It failed in 1892. 1859 Manitowoc Pilot established by Jere Crowley. 1859 Town of Rowley set off in 1859 and organized in 186o with P. Luebke chairman, Aug, Zerlant clerk. Name changed to Two Creeks in 1861. 1860 County office building adjoining courthouse built by Benjamin Jones. 1860 Population of county, 22,416; village of Manitowoc, 3,065, village of Two Rivers, 1,340. 1860 The Collingwood line steamer Lady Elgin burned oft W'aukegan; 297 persons perished. 1860 - November Presidential vote: Lincoln, 2,041; Douglas, 1,947. 1861 - March 28 By act of legislature, county board was made to consist of three members, one for each assembly district. John Carey, Lyman Emerson and Nels Sorenson were members of the first board. In 1869 board made to consist of seven members. 1861 Township system of schools abolished, and the office of county superintendent of schools created. B. J. Van Valkenburgh the first incumbent. 1861 - May 31 The first grain shipment east to Buffalo, in schooner Joseph Vilas, Captain Albrecht, with a cargo of 8,000 bushels. 1861 - June 23 Capt. Temple Clarks company embarks on the steamer Comet bound for Camp Randall. Was mustered into the United States service as Company A, Fifth Wisconsin Infantry. Participated in the first battle of Bull Run, Corinth, in the Virginia campaigns on the Rappahannock and at Gettysburg. In its three years of service of 106 men who left Manitowoc, 23 were killed, 10 reported missing, and 27 seriously wounded. Only 36 returned. 1861 The second full company to leave for the front was Company E, of the Fourteenth Regiment. After being mustered in at Camp Hamilton, Fond du Lac, they left for St. Louis. It was commanded by Capt. Geo. E. Waldo, who was killed at Shiloh. Also participated at Vicksburg, Champion Hills, Corinth and other battles. The survivors returned to Manitowoc in 1864. 1861 The third company, consisting wholly of Norwegians, commanded by Capt. Chas. Gustaveson of the Rapids, gathered at Madison, was mustered in Feb. 14, 1862. This was Company F, Fifteenth Regiment. Engaged at Stone River and the battles before Atlanta, and in Tennessee. 1862 - Sept. 2-3 The Indian scare of eastern Wisconsin, particularly in Manitowoc county, caused great alarm. Supposed to have been produced by the Copperheads to prevent recruiting. 1862 Company K of the Twenty-first Regiment, was the next to leave, Capt. C. H. Walker. Mustered in at Oshkosh Sept. 5, 1862. Engaged at Perryville, and various battles under Sherman on the march to the sea. 1862 Company F of the Twenty-sixth Regiment, Capt. Hy Baetz, was the next to leave. Saw service at Gettysburg, Mission Ridge, Resaca, Atlanta, and with Sherman to the sea. 1862 Company K, of the Twenty-first Regiment, was the next to leave, com-manded by Capt. Peter Mulholland, also left this year, both a part of the Twenty-seventh Regiment. Took part at siege of Vicksburg, and in Arkansas at the battle of Jenkins Ferry, 1862 Half of Company G of the Thirty-second Regiment was also recruited from Manitowoc. 1862- September The first draft of the war to secure 397 men in the county. 1863 - Nov. 23 The second draft, the countys quota being 388 men. 1864 - Sept. 28 The third draft of the war. 1864 Company B, Forty-fifth Regiment, Capt. Leiser, mostly from Newton and Centerville, sent to Nashville. 1864 - November Presidential vote: McClellan, 2,248; Lincoln, 1,179. 1865- February United States Telegraph Company completes line from Manitowoc to Milwaukee. 1865 - February Company D, Forty-eighth Regiment, Capt. A. Wittmann, dispatched to Kansas. 1865 - April 29 Imposing ceremonies in honor of the returning soldiers, and of the tragic death of President Lincoln, in Manitowoc. 1865 Population of county, 26,742. 1868 - Feb. 29 Jones Library Association formed. C. H. Walker, president; Peter Johnston, treasurer; O. B. Smith, secretary. Maintained until 1888, later on the books formed the nucleus of Manitowoc City Library. 1868 Manitawoc Zeitung established, Otto Troemmel, editor, later becoming the Journal, but suspended in 1877. 1868 Presidential vote: Seymour, 2,640; Grant, 2,605. 1868 - April 9 The burning of the Goodrich steamer Seabird, en route for Chicago, eight miles from Waukegan. Out of a crew of 35, including passen- gers, all from Manitowoc and Sheboygan, only three escaped. 1870 - March 12 Legislature grants city charter to Manitowoc. At the en- suing election Peter Johnston was elected mayor, Otto Troemmel, treasurer. 1870 - April 12 County incurs a bonded indebtedness of $216,000 to aid the Appleton & New London Railroad. 1870 County Board from being composed of seven members is again changed to one representative from each town. 1870 Population of county, 33,364; of Manitowoc, 5,168; Two Rivers, 1,365. 1871 - June 7 A further sum of $75,000 was voted by Manitowoc and $25,000 by Two Rivers for the completion of the railroad. 1871 Postoffice established at St. Nazianz. 1871 Defalcation of $20,000 of county money by P. P. Fuessenich, county clerk, who fled and was never heard from again. This matter created much excitement at that time. 1871 - June 22 The first locomotive named the Ben Jones arrives on the schooner Mediterranean from Buffalo. A constant stream of visitors gazed upon this herald of a new day. 1871 - October Extensive forest fires in northern part of the county. 1871 - Oct. 9 Chicago fire. 1871 Town of Schleswig voted $15,000 aid to the Milwaukee & Northern Railroad. 1872 The Appleton & New London Railroad completed to Appleton. 1872 The Manitowoc County Chronicle established in 1872 at Two Rivers, H. S. Pierpont, editor, soon after purchased by W. F. Nash the present proprietor. 1872 Presidential vote: Greeley, 2,627. Grant, 2,289. 1873 Father Ambrose Oschwald of St. Nazianz died. 1873 Milwaukee & Northern Railroad completed through Kiel. 1873 - Sept. 22 Railroad connection between Milwaukee and Manitowoc completed. 1873 The Appleton & New London Railroad and the road to Milwaukee united under one management, as the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western railroad. 1874 Two Rivers branch of the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad completed. 1874 The Central Agricultural Society organized; holding fairs at Clarks Mills for a number of years. 1875 Population of county 38,456 1876 Presidential vote: Tilden, 3,908; Hayes, 2,700. 1877 - Nov. 8 Schooner Magellan of St. Catharines, Canada, with a cargo of 20,000 bushels wheat and a crew of nine men, lost with all on board off Two Rivers, 1878 - March 18 City charter granted to Two Rivers. At the ensuing elec- on M. Maloy was chosen mayor and E. Hammel treasurer. 1878 Government life saving station established at Two Rivers. 1880 Population of county 37,506; of Two Rivers 2,052; Manitowoc, 6,367. 1880 - November Presidential vote Hancock, 3,676; Garfield, 2,988. 1881 The winter of high snow drifts. No mail for nine days. 1881 - April 22 Horace M. Walker Post No. 18, Wisconsin G. A. R. instituted at Manitowoc, J. S. Anderson, commander. 1881 - Aug, 11 Death of Benjamin Jones, the father of Manitowoc. 1883 Divisional railroad shops of the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad removed to Kaukauna, a severe blow to Manitowoc. 1883 - Jan. 10 Newhall House, Milwaukee destroyed by fire, about 70 persons perished, among these George Reed with many valuable railroad records. 1883 - November Manitowoc Industrial Association formed: President, F. Schuette; secretary, W. A. Walker; treasurer, O. Torrison. 1884 - November Presidential election: Cleveland, 4,203; Blaine, 2,525. 1885 - January Manitowoc County Insane Asylum opened. Gustave Mueller, superintendent. 1885 Population of county: 38,692. Of Manitowoc, 6,881; Two Rivers, 2,564. 1886 - June 11 Manitowoc waterworks franchise ratified at the polls, 713 to 156. 1887 - Oct. 29 Steamer Vernon en route from Charlevoix, Michigan, to Chicago, founders off Two Rivers Point. Of 41 on board only one, Alfred Stone, saved, and he remained insane ever after. 1888 Saloon licenses increased to $200 in cities and incorporated villages; $100 in towns. 1888 Presidential vote: Cleveland, 4,218; Harrison, 2,713. 1889 - John Schuette given franchise for electric lighting of Manitowoc. 1890, Jan. 10 Arrival of the first Flint & Pere Marquette Carferry No. 1. 1890 Building and Loan Association of Manitowoc organized. 1890 Population of county: 37,831; of Manitowoc, 7,710; Two Rivers, 2,870 1891 Joseph Mann Library opened in Two Rivers. 1892 - Jan. 29 Village of Reedsville incorporates, W. H. Noble, president. 1892 - March Manitowoc Humane Society formed at Manitowoc, Emil Raensch, president; P. J. Pierce, officer. 1892 - April 11 Manitowoc Manufacturing Company plant burned. Loss $175,000. 1892 - April 12 T. C. Shove Banking Company closed its doors, as a result of the Manitowoc Manufacturing Companys fire, a severe blow to Manitowoc 1892 - June 6 The First National Bank bankrupt, the creditors finally getting 62 per cent. 1892 - June 15 Village of Kiel incorporated, Charles Heins, president. 1892 - November Presidential vote: Cleveland, 4,349; Harrison, 2,276. 1895 Municipal Court of Manitowoc county established. 1895 Population of county: 1896 Ann Arbor Carferry line instituted between Manitowoc and Frankfort, Michigan. 1896 First carferry slip constructed, 450x110 feet. 1896 - June 24 Wisconsin Central Railroad completed between Manitowoc and Menasha, with stations at Wells, Collins, Valders and Madson. 1896 - November Presidential vote: McKinley, 4,43I; Bryan, 3,9I7; Palmer, I63. 1898 - April 28 Company H, Second Regiment leaves Manitowoc. Mustered in at Milwaukee May 5, 109 men, transported to Chickamauga Park, then to Charleston, South Carolina, embarked on army transport Grand Duchess, arrived at Ponce, Porto Rico. Returned to Manitowoc September t8, where a grand ovation was given in their honor. Lost in all four men. 1900 - Feb. 10 Camp Hy W. Lawton, Spanish-American war veterans instituted at Manitowoc, commander, Ernst Heide. 1900 - March 15 First rural mail delivery in the county established, John Houghton, carrier. 1900 The Kiel and Sheboygan turnpike purchased and the last to be made free. 1900 Soldiers monument dedicated to the soldiers of the Civil war at Two Rivers. 1900 - March 21 Death of John Nagle of typhoid fever. 1900 Census of county, 42,261. Manitowoc, 11,786; Two Rivers, 3,784; Kiel, 924; Reedsville, 528. 1900 - November Presidential election. McKinley, 4,3I7; Bryan, 4,167; Debs, 16g. 1901 - September Manitowoc County Training School for teachers instituted. 1902 Installation of waterworks and electric light plants at Two Rivers. 1902 Manitowoc & Northern Traction Company between Two Rivers and Manitowoc completed. 1903 Carnegie Library opened at Manitowoc. 1904 Presidential vote: Parker 3,274; Roosevelt 4,62o; Debs 687. 1905 Census of county, 44,796. Manitowoc 12,733; Two Rivers, 4,602. 1908 Presidential vote: Taft, 4,125; Bryan, 3,952; Debs, 947. 1909 Consolidation of the four independent school districts of Manitowoc and adoption of a city system. 1909 - Aug. 8 Unveiling of monument to Chief Mexico at Rapids. 1910 Arrowhead type of harbor in Manitowoc completed. Total cost of harbor to government to 1910 is $946,812. 1910 Census of county, 44,978. Manitowoc, 13,027; Two Rivers, 4,850; Kiel, 1,244; Reedsville, 550. 1910 - Sept. 9 Carferry No. 18, of Flint & Pere Marquette Line founders in Lake Michigan, off Port Washington with a loss of 32 lives. 1910 Green Bay extension of Chicago & North Western Railroad completed. 1911, November County board appropriates $15,000 for a County Tuberculosis Sanatorium.