[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
F. BECKER From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 524 Saloon and billiards, Manitowoc. Born March 29, 1823 in Prussia. He emigrated to Milwaukee in 1853, and the following year came to this city and opened a bakery, carrying on that business until 1861, when he raised a company, being himself commissioned captain, the 9th Wis. I. He remained in the service about two years, then returned to Manitowoc and opened his present business. He has been Chief of the Fire Department for two years. Married, in 1847, Miss Mena Boate of Prussia. They have three children, one son and two daughters.
FRANK BECKER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.175-176. (This is under the section called Becker Manufacturing Company in the book) The Becker Manufacturing Company, carrying on iron jobbing and a general foundry business in the city of Two Rivers, Wisconsin, is one of the large concerns of this section, where the proprietors and owners, Frank and Michael Becker, are well known as capable business men. Frank Becker was born November 9, 1873, in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, and is a son of Frank and Catherine (Reiman) Becker, who were married in the old St. Peter’s church of Manitowoc. Frank Becker, the father, had come from Germany at the age of twenty-one years, and his wife was a native of Poland. He was a shoemaker and followed his trade during his active years in Manitowoc, in which city he and his family are still residing, at No. 2305 Wollmer street. Seven children have been horn to Mr. and Mrs. Becker, Barbara, Joseph, Mary, Frank, Michael, John and George. Frank Becker, of the Becker Manufacturing Company, received his education in the public schools of Manitowoc and after completing his schooling learned the trade of a foundryman and moulder, occupations which he followed for fourteen years. He then associated himself with his brother, Michael, with whom he rented the place now owned by them, which they purchased the following year, the plant at that time being one hundred and ten by seventy-five feet, and having one furnace. Since that time the place has been increased by an addition, forty by fifty-five feet, with another furnace and a traveling crane, the capacity being thus increased from three to ten tons daily. A general foundry business is carried on, as well as iron jobbing, and the business of the firm is principally local. In 1900 Mr. Becker was married to Miss Louisa Simonis, who was born in Two Rivers, a daughter of Nickolas Simonis, an old settler of this city. Seven children have been born to this union, Roland, Clarence, Hildegard, Evelyn, Dolores, Paul and Edward. In political matters Mr. Becker is a democrat, and he is fraternally connected with the Catholic Order of Foresters and several protective orders.
OTTMAR ALBERT FRITZ BECKER MEMOIRS OF MILWAUKEE COUNTY, VOL. II, by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 Ottmar A. Becker, D. D. S., a promising young dentist of the Cream City, was born in Manitowoc, Wis., on Aug. 23, 1878, a son of Albert C. Becker, a native of Germany, and Alvina (Teitgen) Becker, born in Manitowoc county. The paternal grandfather, Major Frederick C. Becker, was a native of Germany, who came to Manitowoc county before the War of the Rebellion. During that struggle he served in one of the Wisconsin volunteer regiments, and after the cessation of hostilities organized Company A of the Second Infantry, Wisconsin National Guard. His death occurred in Milwaukee in 1900. The maternal grandfather was also a native of Germany and a pioneer of Manitowoc county. Albert C. Becker, the father, was a hardware merchant at Manitowoc for a number of years, but recently withdrew from active participation in business and is now living retired. He is a prominent member of the Democratic party, and a well-known fraternity man, being a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Royal Arcanum and the Royal League. His family of three sons and a daughter are all living. He was for a time captain in Company A of the Second Wisconsin infantry, the company which his father organized, and Ottmar A. Becker, the subject of this review, also served four years in the same company, from 1901 to 1905, as a private, corporal and sergeant. Dr. Becker attended the graded schools of Manitowoc and Oshkosh and completed a high school course in the latter city. For his professional training he went to Chicago, and there in 1900 was graduated at the Northwestern Dental College with the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery. He first opened an office in Oshkosh and for four years had an excellent practice in that city, but he desired a larger field, and removed to Milwaukee. He has developed an enviable clientage in this city, and his inherent skill and thorough knowledge of his profession assures him of an even larger success. Dr. Becker is not allied with any political party, believing that to exercise his right of suffrage for the best advantage of the community a man should not not be bound or hampered by party affiliation. Fraternally he is prominently identified with the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and is for the second time the incumbent of the office of worthy president of Milwaukee Lodge, No. 137. of that order. Dr. Becker has made many friends in Milwaukee, who predict for him a brilliant future in his chosen profession.
EDWIN S. BEDELL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.165-166. Edwin S. Bedell, one of the most prominent citizens of the town of Rapids, Manitowoc county, has been largely interested in farming and stock-raising here for many years, and has been closely identified with public affairs. He is a son of Edwin S. Bedell, Sr., and a grandson of Hiram Bedell, a hotelkeeper of Rutland, Vermont. Edwin S. Bedell, Sr., was born in 1830 in Vermont, and came to Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, in 1851, settling in the town of Manitowoc Rapids where he engaged in school teaching and became town superintendent of schools. He also served as under sheriff, Robert Blake being sheriff. Mr. Bedell married Miss Katherine Hubbard, daughter of Oliver Hubbard, who died during the early years of the Civil war, in which Mr. Bedell served as a member of the Thirty-second Wisconsin Volunteers. In 1868 occurred Mr. Bedell’s marriage to Jennie L. Steele, a daughter of Richard Steele, born in Libertyville, Illinois, in 1840. The Steeles came from Connecticut, and removed from Illinois to Wisconsin in 1842, settling in the village of Manitowoc, where the father engaged in lumbering. Afterward he purchased land in the town of Rapids, where he resided until the time of his death in 1877. One child was born to Mr. and Mrs. Bedell, Edwin S., September 17, 1869. The elder Bedell was a well known and prominent citizen, serving as town clerk for many years, as supervisor, and as a member of the school board for eighteen or twenty years. He was a great believer in the advantages of a good education, and sent his son to district school in the town of Rapids, the Second Ward school in the city of Manitowoc, and a business college at Sterling, Illinois. Mr. Bedell’s death occurred in Buffalo, New York, whither he had gone to attend an encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic. A fall through an open hatchway on the steamer John W. Moore, on which Mr. Bedell was making the trip, caused his death, which occurred August 23, 1897. He was a prominent member of the Grand Army of the Republic and was a charter member and commander of the post at Manitowoc. His widow still survives him and lives with her son, being seventy-one years of age. For a few years after he had completed his education, Edwin S. Bedell was engaged in farming with his father, whom he succeeded in the ownership of the property. He carries on general farming and dairy work, specializing in the raising of Jersey cattle and in the growing of vegetables. Mr. Bedell is president of the Rapids & Western Telephone Company. In 1897 Mr. Bedell was married to Miss Charlotte M. R. Steele, a daughter of Albert Beele and Elizabeth J. Steele. She was born in Manitowoc Rapids, on her grandfather’s farm, and spent her girlhood in Advance, Michigan, in which village she received her education. Her parents, who were married in Elmira, New York, now live in Michigan, and Mr. Steele is a veteran of the Civil war, having served as a member of the Fifth Wisconsin Volunteers. In his religious views Mr. Bedell is a Presbyterian, while his wife is affiliated with the Episcopal church. He has been prominent in political circles for a long period, and has served as school clerk for sixteen years, town clerk for five years, has been justice of the peace for fifteen years, chairman of the town, and deputy sheriff for two years under Sheriff Perry Burt.
CHARLES BEERS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.640-641. Charles Beers, who for many years was proprietor of a sample room in Manitowoc, was born in Germany in 1847. At the age of fourteen years he started out in life on his own account as a sailor, and in 1870 he became a resident of Manitowoc. Here he engaged in the liquor business, but in the meantime laid the foundation for his success in the broad and practical experience which he had gained. He had made several trips around the world on ocean vessels and finally came to the Great Lakes where he sailed until 1870, being captain of several different ships. In that year he located in Manitowoc, and in conducting his sample room enjoyed the reputation of carrying on the enterprise along strictly business lines. That he prospered is indicated by his property holdings. He erected a number of buildings on South Eighth street and owned three business blocks from which he derived a substantial and gratifying income. At the time of the gold excitement in the Black Hills he and several companions walked the entire distance to that district, but he did not meet there with the success he anticipated and having lost all he took out with him he returned and was thereafter connected with Manitowoc and her interests. He was for several years harbor master and was well known by vessel men on the lakes. Mr. Beers is survived by his wife, his son Henry, and two brothers, his brothers still living in Germany, as does his aged mother. On the 8th of December, 1908, he was called from this life, and according to his expressed wish, Odd Fellows lodge in which he held membership, took charge of the funeral services. Henry Beers, his son, was born in Manitowoc and is one of the city’s prominent and honored residents. He, too, has been well known in business circles here for a long period, and also as a political leader, being at the last election his party's candidate for mayor. It is believed he would make a good officer in any position to which he might be called for he possesses executive force and an enterprising spirit, and in all matters of citizenship is loyal and public spirited.
DR. BEHENEK From the Manitowoc Pilot, JANUARY 27, 1870 Dr. BEHENEK, while coming into town from the country, one day last week, his horse became frightened at some obstacle on the roadside, and becoming unmanageable, dashed through the town at a furious speed, smashing the cutter all to pieces and throwing the doctor out against a pile of lumber near Chloupek's foundry. We regret to announce that the doctor was severely bruised about the head and body, besides maintaining internal injuries of an alarming nature. He is under the care of Dr. BROWN, and, although in a critical condition at present, hopes are entertained of his recovery.
MR. & MRS. CHRISTIAN BEHM abt 1931 See Pleuss Family Cemetery for more info on the family.
CARL BEHNKE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.569-570. Carl Behnke, a successful farmer of Rockland, owning one hundred and sixty acres of fine land on sections 13 and 14, was born in Germany, May 18, 1861. His parents Carl and Gustina Behnke came to the United States in 1872, settling in Manitowoc county, where they bought eighty acres of land, partly improved, located in Rockland township. There they resided until they died, the father in 1904, aged sixty-six years, and the mother many years before when our subject was only thirteen years old. The father married again and the second wife survives him, living in the town of Rockland. By his first wife, the father had eight children, and Carl was second in order of birth. When twenty years old Carl Behnke began working for wages in a sawmill, thus continuing for six years, when he bought thirty-five acres of swampland in Rockland. Moving upon it, he built a house and barn and lived there twenty years, when he sold and bought the place he now owns. Since 1906, it has been his home, and he has one hundred and thirty-five acres under cultivation. All the farm is fenced with barbed wire. He raises Chester White hogs, breeds to Percheron horses and milks twenty-five cows of graded stock, selling his dairy products. In addition, he raises grain and clover seed. His basement barn, forty by one hundred and thirty feet was built before he bought the farm, but he has remodeled it, completing his changes in 1907, putting in cement floors and patent stanchions. The two-story frame residence was built by a former owner. The water supply comes from drilled wells. On March 8, 1887, Mr. Behnke married Wilhemina Schultz, a daughter of Henry Schultz, a native of Germany. The latter came to the United States about 1867, settling in Manitowoc county, and is living today in the township of Rockland. His wife bore the maiden name of Alvina Gready, and he married her in Germany. She bore him six children, and died when Mrs. Behnke, who was the third in order of birth, being born September 23, 1866, was eleven years of age. Mr. Schultz married a second time, and this wife died in 1911. Mr. and Mrs. Behnke have had nine children, namely: Alvina, who married William Bratz of the town of Maple Grove and has two children; Charles, who is at home; Ida, who married Henry Mahnke of the town of Cato and has one child; and Amanda, Henry, Elsie, Ernest, Hilda and Orgain, all at home. In politics Mr. Behnke is a republican. He and his family are members of the Lutheran church, and are active in its work.
FRANK BENISEK This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.37-38. Frank Benisek, one of the successful agriculturists of the town of Manitowoc Rapids, who is engaged in operations on the old Benisek homestead, was born October 22, 1860, in Bohemia, and is a son of Mathias and Paulina Benisek. In 1871 Mathias Benisek brought his family to the United States, there being eleven children in the family: Ignatz, Josephine, Anthony, Vencel, Mary, John, Jennie, Annie, Paulina, Frank and Barbara. They came directly to Manitowoc county, and made their home in a little log cabin on the present farm of Frank Benisek, in which they lived until the father could build a more modern home. His remaining years were spent on this property, and he died in 1900, when eighty-eight years of age, his widow surviving him nine years and being about the same age at the time of her death. Frank Benisek began his education in the schools of his native country and later attended the district schools of the town of Manitowoc Rapids. He has spent his whole life on the old Benisek homestead, and has made the property a well cultivated and paying one. In his farming operations he employs scientific methods and uses the most up-to-date machinery and labor-saving devices, taking keen interest in all inventions and discoveries which affect the agriculturist. In 1891 Mr. Benisek was married to Miss Emma Strouf, daughter of John and Anna Strouf, who came from the old country and settled first in the town of Kossuth, later removing to the town of Gibson, where Mrs. Benisek was born. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Benisek, namely: Antony, Edward, Frank, Charles, Adolph, Eleanor and Emil. Mr. and Mrs. Benisek are true adherents of the Roman Catholic faith.
VENCEL BENISEK This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.40. Vencel Benisek, who is successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits in the town of Manitowoc Rapids, is a native of Bohemia and a son of Mathias and Paulina Benisek, who came to the United States from their native land in 1871, bringing with them eleven children, as follows: Ignatz, Josephine, Anthony, Vencel, Mary, John, Jennie, Annie, Paulina, Frank and Barbara. On locating in the United States, the Benisek family came directly to Manitowoc county, settling on wild lands in the town of Manitowoc Rapids, where they resided in a log house built by the father until he could get a better home erected. Here Mathias Benisek died in 1900, while his wife survived him until 1909, both being well along in the eighties at the time of their demise. Until he was twenty-seven years of age, Vencel Benisek worked on his father’s farm, and he then went to northern Michigan, where for ten years he was employed in the iron foundries. Returning to Manitowoc county he bought the land on which he is now conducting operations, and he has greatly improved the farm in many ways, remodeling the house and erecting new barns. His land is very productive, and he has made a success of his agricultural ventures. Mr. Benisek was married in 1879 to Miss Barbara Halama, daughter of Joseph Halama. Mrs. Benisek was born in Bohemia, in which country her parents spent all their lives. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Benisek, namely: Jennie, Otelia, Sophia, Julia, Lydia, Agnes and Vencel, Jr.
PETER BENNETT Wisconsin Men of Progress (This is mostly about Peter's son, William H. Bennett.) BENNETT, William H., one of the younger members of the bar of Milwaukee, is the son of Peter Bennett, who was a native of Canada, but removed to New York state when a young man, where he followed railroading for a number of years. He suffered much from sickness, and finally came to Wisconsin, settling on a farm in the town of Meeme, Manitowoc county, where he spent the last twenty years of his life, dying in 1882. He had a good common school education, was fond of books, and was an intelligent, up-right citizen. W. H. Bennett's mother was a native of Ireland, whose maiden name was Catherine Elizabeth Sage. She came to New York when eleven years of age, and remained in that state until after marriage, when she came with her husband to Wisconsin. She was a woman of great physical vitality, very intelligent in business matters, and of great help to her husband in the management of his farm and all his business enterprises. She died in her forty-ninth year. W. H. Bennett was born in Cayuga county, New York, September 27th, 1864. He attended the common school in Manitowoc county until he was fourteen years of age, when he was obliged to leave his books and go to work on the farm and in the woods. The schools he attended were not such as to inspire a love of study or greatly enlarge one's mental scope; in consequence young Bennett did not make much progress in his studies, and was glad of any excuse for turning his back upon the school. As he came toward manhood, however, he received a taste for books, and read much of history and kindred literature. When a boy, he learned to speak the German language from his playmates, and later learned to read it. Thus, when at twenty-one years of age, he returned to school, he was fairly well informed. He entered the Oshkosh Normal School and was a student there from three years. He was a student at the state university for a time, but, owing to a lack of funds, he was, much to his regret, compelled to abandon his ambition for a university course. From his nineteenth to his twenty-first year he worked in the mines of Northern Wisconsin and Michigan, learned the carpenter's trade, worked in the lumber woods, in winter, as a teamster, chopper and scaler of logs, was a contractor and builder, and by industry and frugality accumulated about a thousand dollars, which paid his way at the normal school. His summer vacations while at the normal were spent in the northern part of the state working at his trade. In the fall of 1888 he became principal of the graded school at Boltonville, Washington county, which he taught for two years. His summer vacations at this time were spent in Madison at the university summer school. While a teacher his leisure hours were devoted to reading law. In July, 1890, he entered the office of Barney & Kuechenmeister, as a law student, and, after a year of intense study, passed an examination, was admitted to the bar, and took part, as assistant to Mr. Barney, in the trial of a couple of cases at that term of court. In the absence of any opening for beginning practice, he resorted again to teaching. In the meantime he did some legal work in the local courts. In 1892 he formed a partnership with John M. Clarke, which was dissolved at the end of that year. Then he took for partner W. H. Churchill, and after two years J. C. Kleist came into the firm. Not long after this he was appointed assistant district attorney by A. C. Brazee, and reappointed in January, 1897. He has had case involving the settlement of large estates, and his official duties have given him no little experience in criminal practice. Mr. Bennett is Republican in politics, has taken an active part in local, state and national campaigns as a speaker and worker; is president of the Twentieth Ward Republican club, and was a school commissioner for that ward. He is a member of the Milwaukee bar, a Mason, and a Knight of Pythias, of which order he is a past chancellor. He is not a member of any religious denomination, though an attendant at the Plymouth Congregational church. Mr. Bennett was married at West Bend, on the 24th of August, 1892, to Louise D. Glantz, daughter of Henry Glantz, an early settler of that region. They have one child.
HERBERT LESLIE BENSON (The following information sent in by family researcher-see contributors page) Herbert later moved to Coupville WA. He died in 1934 and is buried in Sunnyside Cemetery his wife, Addie A. Tufts died in 1954 and is buried next to him. His mother is indeed Maria Stone. She was married to his father, Valentine Benson but later remarried to Parmenas Camp. Valentine and Maria had two other sons, Milton and William Wallace both of whom also moved to Coupville. William died in 1919 in Seattle Washington and is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery of that city. He is buried with his Wife, Eliza who lived from 1864 to 1954. I think From another researcher: (see contributors page) The researcher was "actually" referring to brother Milton H. Benson, who died in 1919. Milton is listed as being buried (with wife Eliza) in MOUNT PLEASANT CEMETERY, SEATTLE, King County, WA Benson, Milton H. 1858 - 1919 Eliza S. 1864 - 1954 http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/wa/king/cemetery/mtpl.txt
JOHN BENSON (Maiden name of Sarah Fox and the following information supplied by a family researcher-see contributors page) John Williams & Sarah moved with their family, including Jane E & her husband John Benson to Schuyler Nebraska. Jane E Benson (Fox) later (around 1900) moved with her husband and children from Schuyler NB to Coupville WA (Island County) She had a bunch of children, one of them, Samuel F. Here's the death info for John & Jane Benson John Benson 1835-1919 Jane Benson 1848-1932 They died in Coupevill (Island County) WA and are buried in Sunnyside Cemetery. Samuel F. also listed above, later married Nellie E. Hendrick in Schuyler Nebraska. They also moved to Coupville WA. Samuel died in 1939 and is also buried in Sunnyside cemetery with his wife, and parents.
FRIDOLIN/FRIDOLEN BENZINGER (These pictures were sent in by researcher/see contributors page)
A copy of his Civil War certificate from Madison
Fridolen's sons. Seated left to right: Joseph, and Hugo - Standing left to right: Fridolen Jr. and John
JOHN BENZINGER FAMILY (This picture was sent in by researcher/see contributors page)
John Benzinger and Family
Names of the people in the picture above.
JOSEPH BENZINGER (This picture was sent in by researcher/see contributors page)
Joseph Benzinger and Theresa Komorowski
OVE ZACHARIASEN BOE-ODEGAARDEN BERGE
This sketch was submitted by Ruth Hackett, a descendant from Iowa, 9 May, 1998. The church records from Vang Parish, Valdres District, Oppland County, Norway show that Ove Zachariasen Boe-Odegaarden was born 5 Sep. 1816 and baptized 29 Sep. 1816. His parents were Zacharias Oistensen Boe-Odegaarden and Ingelev Boiesdatter Stele. Known brothers include Oistein Zachariassen Boe-Odegaarden, born in 1803; Boie Zachariassen Boe-Odegaarden born in 1809; and Andris Zachariassen Boe-Odegaarden born in 1811. The oldest brother, Oistein, took over their parents farm in 1838. About 1840 Ove was married to Marit Olsdatter Berge, born 25 Sep. 1821 to Ola Gullikson (Golikson) Berge and Anne Ivarsdatter Tune. Ove was a tailor and when he moved to the Berge farm he took the name of Berge for his last name. Ove and Marit had four children born on the Berge farm in Norway. They were: (1) Tosten O. Berge, b. 20 Apr 1841, d. 22 Dec. 1917 m. Thuri Paulson Fladland (2) Anne Ovesdtr. Berge, b. 16 Feb. 1844, d. 24 Jan. 1928 m. Iver O. Myhre (3) Zacharias O. Berge, b. 4 Mar. 1846, d. 1932 m. Ingrid Johnston (d. 2 Jul. 1878) both buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Manitowoc, WI (4) Ingelev Ovesdtr. Berge, b. 29 Mar. 1851, d. 5 Dec. 1865 The emigrant pages for Vang Parish show that in 1852 leaving that parish for America were Ove Zachariasen Boe, 36; Maritte Olsdatter, 30; Tosten, 11; Anne, 8; Zacharias, 6; Ingelev, 1. The family settled on a farm near Valders in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin. Ove and Marit had three more daughters after arriving in Manitowoc County. They were: (1) Annie Berge, b. 22 Sep 1856, d. in Chicago, IL m. David Thompson (2) Marit (Mary) Berge, b. 28 Jun 1858, d. 1931 at Wallingford, IA m. K.K. Skattebo (3) Caroline Marie Berge, b. 21 Dec. 1861, d. 28 Nov. 1865 in Manitowoc Co., WI. Ove died 21 Nov 1886 at the age of 70 in Liberty, WI and is buried there. His wife died in Emmet County, Iowa and is buried there. "Ove Sakariasson Oydgarden, (1816-), var innerst og husmann(?) her (Oydgarden) og pa Berge. G. 1844 m. Marit Olsdotter Berge, (1821-). Born: Torstein (1841-), Anne (1844-), Sakarias (1846-), Ingeleiv (1851-) Heile huslyden reiste til Amerika varen 1852." from Valdres Bygdebok av Anders Froholm. Ove and Marit were 3rd cousins, 1 generation removed. Their common ancestor was Endre Ivarson Ellingbo.
MRS. GODFRIED BERGER From the Two Rivers Reporter, Saturday, May 24, 1913: OLD TIMERS - (photo with article) Probably the earliest settler of Two Rivers now living here is Mrs. Gotfried Berger. She arrived in the summer of 1848 with her husband. They came by sailing vessel from Milwaukee. Mrs. Berger had been there sinc 1846 when she came from Hanover, Germany. The vessel on which they arrived landed them at one of the south piers of which the remains may still be seen about 400 feet south of the harbor. They found here only six houses. There was a saw mill at work which was located on the Southside near Washington Street bridge. The men working in this saw mill boarded at one of these six houses in the settlement which was located on the site of the Urban Niquette property. Mrs. Berger and her husband boarded for a few weeks in the building near Washington Street bridge which has been torn down. It was for years the Winkelmiller tannery. They then erected their own home near where the Musial shoestore is located. Here Mr. Berger engaged in making shoes. Within a few years he employed six men in his business. As stated in a previous article footwear was nearly all made by hand in those days. When they arrived the present site of the Eggers Veneer Seating Company as well as a large tract directly across the river was occupied by many Indian wigwams. The Indians were always friendly. The trouble and danger came from lawless white men. There was a gang of roughs in the settlement who ran things to suit themselves. They engaged in drunken brawls and frequently turned the town topsy turvey. Anyone attempting to interfere would receive rough treatment. The amusement in those days consisted in canoeing up the river, and picking berries in the dense forest that closely surrounded the few houses in town. Mrs. Berger relates how the neighbors and friends, who were then very few, used to go in those very early days to meet the side wheel steamer. The steamer called twice a year at the pier once in the spring and once in the fall. When she arrived at this part of her narrative she showed signs of emotion. She was probably thinking of those good old times and the friends long since departed. These visits of the steamer twice a year kept the settlement supplied with clothing and provisions. The price of flour was $12 per barrel. Within three or four years after Mrs. Berger's arrival the boat called more frequently. During the cholera epidemic of 1850, Mr. and Mrs. Berger like a great many others moved back into the country for a few weeks until it was over. The epidemic lasted only a short time and Mrs. Berger has a recollection of only three or four persons whom she knew dying of the plague although quite a number succumbed to it. Mrs. Berger's husband died 20 years ago. She is still in good health at 83. Her sight is excellent and she reads much. She has probably read every German book in our Public Library.
MRS. NICHOLAS BERNERS From the Manitowoc Co. Chronicle June 18, 1872 A little six-year old son of Mrs. N. Berner, of this village, was missing from home last Saturday evening, and the belief became general that he had fallen into the river and drowned, as he was last seen playing about the East river, near Hamilton's brick yard. Search was commenced early on Sunday morning, and it was not until about half-past 1 in the afternoon that the body was recovered near that place. This is the second son Mrs. Berner has lost by drowning, and is a sad warning to parents allowing their children to frequent the river so much. ------------------- From the Two Rivers Reporter, Saturday, July 6, 1913: OLD TIMERS - (photo with article) The Old Timers' stories of coming over the ocean to America are much alike in as much as the journey was always by sailing vessel and very tedious, requiring several weeks. Such was the experience of Mrs. Berners who had a very stormy voyage on a sailing vessel in 1847. She reached New York with her parents, 3 sisters and a brother 7 weeks after starting from Germany. After a journey by coach to Buffalo she came by boat to Sheboygan and then went on foot to Newton this county. There was no wagon road to Newton and no boat to be had for Manitowoc. There was only a narrow foot path which she traveled all day with her brother-in-law and at night fall they reached the settlement in the backwoods. Four years later Mrs. Berners was married to Nicholas Berners and they moved to Two Rivers. Mr. George Hallauer of this place brot (sic) them into town on a wagon after an all day journey. Mr. Berners obtained employment in the saw-mill of Aldrich Smith & Co. as engineer. This is the mill which burned in 1903 when the large dry kiln of the Two Rivers Company was destroyed. The Berners's built them a small house in 1853 and Mr. Berners engaged in the saloon business which he continued until his death in 1869. Mrs. Berners still resides in this house which has been added to and rebuilt. She lives here with her son E.C. Berners who now conducts an Ice Cream Parlor and Confectionery. Mrs. Berners remembers well the great 4th of July celebration of 1852. On this occasion elaborate arrangements were made. There was an excursion from Milwaukee, Sheboygan and Manitowoc. A picnic was held in the pines just north of the village, on the ground now occupied by the St. Luke's School. Games were played, speeches made and a free lunch was served. A great catastrophe marred the celebration however. It seems that some of the younger element were engaged in shooting fire crackers and began throwing them promiscuously about. Suddenly one of the lighted fire crackers was thrown into a keg containing the loose powder which had been used for priming the cannon. Instantly a sheet of flame shot forth igniting the other powder contained in the bags, which, igniting all at once, exploded and flames and powder were shot out in every direction for a distance of 100 feet or more. When the smoke had cleared away it was found that 36 people had been more or less severly injured, the clothes catching fire in many instances, adding to the horror. Of those most severly injured were the following: Henry Decker, Henry Rife, Albert Jackson, Oliver Pilon and Moses Bunker. Several of the victims died and many were disfigured for life. Mrs. Berners is in the best of health at the age of 85. She is in possession of all her faculties. She reads a great deal in both English and German. She still assists in the housework. -------------- From the Two Rivers Reporter, Saturday, November 21, 1914: (photo with article) Mrs. Berners celebrated her 87th birthday anniversary Monday. Relatives and friends called congratulate her. She is in excellent health and besides working in her garden and keeping herself busy about the house she never fails to go to church on Sunday. She has been a resident of Two Rivers 60 years or more.
IRA BEYER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.267-268. Ira Beyer, president of the State Bank of Mishicot, and one of the leading men of the village, has been connected with various business enterprises here for many years, and is now the owner of a large farm in the town of Mishicot, proprietor of a cement works and an electric light plant, and a contractor of bridges. He was born on the old Beyer homestead farm in the town of Mishicot, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, and is a son of Hans and Caroline (Runge) Beyer. Hans Beyer was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, and came to the United States as a young man in 1852, on a sailing vessel, and settled in Manitowoc county, where he worked at farming and as an employe in the mills until he himself became a mill owner and an extensive agriculturist. He first took up eighty-nine acres of land on section 36, Mishicot, cleared and improved the place, erected a large cheese factory, and here spent the remainder of his life, dying July 15, 1890, at the age of sixty-two years. He was a prominent democrat, but never aspired to public office. He was married in Mishicot to Miss Caroline Runge, who was born in Holstein, Germany, a daughter of John and Caroline Runge, who came to the United States in 1847, and settled in Mishicot, purchasing land on section 30. They were among the first settlers in this part of the county, there being but two small houses and a sawmill in Mishicot at that time, and wolves and other wild animals were numerous. Mr. Runge and his wife spent their lives here and died in the faith of the Lutheran church. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Beyer: Ira; and Emma, who is single and resides at home. Ira Beyer received his education in the district schools of the town of Mishicot, and he has always lived on the old home place. For the past four years he has manufactured cement blocks, and has also done some bridge contract work. Since its organization he has been president of the State Bank of Mishicot, an institution with a capital stock of fifteen thousand dollars, the officers of which are: Ira Beyer, president; August Rhode, vice president and Herman Stehn, cashier. These gentlemen and those whose names follow form the board of directors: Dr. Karnopp, A. Hoist, F. Witte, Fred Eisenman, Peter Rouiller, William Mueller and Chris Rhein. In addition to these interests Mr. Beyer is engaged extensively in raising Shorthorn cattle. On January 3, 1887, Mr. Beyer married Rose Nocker, who was born in Mishicot, a daughter of August and Catherine Nocker, natives of Germany, who settled in Mishicot and spent the remainder of their lives in farming. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Beyer: Ahlva, who was married March 20, 1912, to Louis Heyroth; Hans H.; and Eunice, all residing at home. Politically a democrat, Mr. Beyer has served two years as chairman of the town board, and his fraternal connection is with the Masonic Blue Lodge No. 200, at Two Rivers.
JOHN BIBINGER From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 524 Of the firm of Bibinger & Day, wholesale and retail dealers in all kinds of farm machinery, Manitowoc, was born in Germany, July 23, 1846. He came with his parents to America in 1848, and they lived in Pennsylvania about eight years. Moved to Milwaukee and lived four years. He went into business in 1873 in Manitowoc. He was married in that city, Sept. 22, 1873, to Miss Augusta Teitgen. She was born in Newton, Manitowoc Co., 1855. They have two children, Ellma A., born Oct. 8, 1874, and Arthur J., born June 9, 1876.
(sent in by a researcher/see contributors page)
JOHN BIEVER Manitowoc Tribune, Vol. 18 No. 42, Thursday, February 1, 1872, Page 4 Column 6 Serious accident. - John Biever from Cooperstown, met with quite an accident in this City last Monday afternoon. He had transacted some business with the County Judge and going out from the office, had the misfortune to fall down the stairs, striking his head and breaking his right arm and dislocating his wrist. He was taken to Dr. Schallern, where all aid possible under the circumstances was administered to him, and he was sent home, we hope, a wiser and better man than when he came.
DANIEL BIRKHOLZ From the Manitowoc Pilot, Jan. 18, 1894 Daniel Birkholz of Maple Grove was arrested last week at the instance of Frank Kautsky of this city. Birkholz sold Kautsky a hog weighing 400 lbs. on the 3rd of January. The hog was frozen at the time of the purchase but when it began to thaw out it was found to be almost putrid and had to be removed from the shop.
Town of Two Creeks businessmen gather at the local blacksmith shop. Photo taken early 1900s. Photo compliments of Gary Omernick
WENZEL BLAHA This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.652. Wenzel Blaha, a substantial citizen and practical business man of Two Rivers, Wisconsin, who is junior partner of the firm of Knipfer & Blaha, fish dealers, was born in Two Creeks, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, September 1, 1863, and is a son of Frank and Anna (Chavhaur) Blaha. Frank Blaha was born in Bohemia, and came to the United States during the late ‘50s, traveling on foot from Manitowoc to the mills in Two Creeks. Securing forty acres of wild land in that section, he proceeded to clear and cultivate it, gradually adding to his holdings until he had one hundred and twenty acres of finely cultivated land, on which he spent the remainder of his life. He was a progressive worker in church circles, assisting to build the two churches in Two Creeks, and his death occurred in 1904 when he was eighty-three years of age, his wife still surviving on the old homestead, being sixty-eight or seventy years old. They had seven children: Wenzel, Mary, Frank, Anton, Annie, Ignatz and Joseph, the last named being deceased. Wenzel Blaha received his education in the district schools of Two Creeks after leaving which he started out for himself and secured employment in the lumber woods. He was married in 1889 to Miss Mary Short, a school teacher, born at Two Rivers, a daughter of John Short, a native of Ireland, who enlisted for service in the Civil war from Two Rivers and spent his active years in farming in Manitowoc county. After his marriage Mr. Blaha located at Two Creeks, where for three years he was the proprietor of a saloon and hotel, and during the next four or five years he was engaged in handling grain for Schroeder Brothers. At this time he formed a partnership with George Knipfer, under the firm name of Knipfer & Blaha, in the fish business, in which they have been successfully engaged to the present time. Mr. and Mrs. Blaha are members of the Catholic church, as are their two children: Ethel, who resides at home; and Bessie, who is attending college at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
SAMUEL COLEMAN BLAKE, M.D. From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 524-525 One of the representative men of Manitowoc County and one of the best read, and the most eminent physician and surgeon in Northern Wisconsin, was born in the city of Bath, Me., July 25, 1826. He was the oldest child of the Rev. S. P. Blake, of the Maine Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was educated at the Maine Wesleyan Seminary at Kents Hill, from which he graduated at the age of twenty with honors. During this time, his father's pecuniary circumstances were such that he could give his son no aid in paying his way through his educational course, and he was obliged to earn sufficient money for that purpose by his own efforts, during the time that he was prosecuting his studies. In 1850 he entered the Tremont Medical School, Boston, where he read medicine. In the years 1852-53, he was "house pupil" in the Massachusetts General Hospital, of Boston, and July 22, 1863, he graduated in medicine from the medical department of the Harvard University, having entered that institution three years earlier. After graduating, Dr. Blake became a member of the Massachusetts State Medical Society and of the Boston Medical Association, to gain a membership in which required a most thorough knowledge of medicine and surgery. He settled in the city of Boston, where he practiced his profession between three and four years. In 1856 the doctor removed to Chicago, and immediately became a leader in his profession in that great metropolis, which position he maintained through an active and extensive practice until 1877, when, on account of poor health, he removed to Manitowoc. Since living here, he has also been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. In the second year after going to Chicago, he was connected with the Spring course of lectures in Rush Medical College. Oct. 27, 1857, he was united in marriage with Miss Adaline Jones, an estimable lady of fine mental qualities, a daughter of the late Hon. Benjamin Jones, one of the earliest settlers of Chicago, and the founder of the city of Manitowoc. She has borne him 3 children, who are all living - the oldest Charles C., born April 1, 1859; the next Benjamin J., born Aug. 22, 1864, and the youngest Otis Henry Tiffany, born Nov. 19, 1872. They were all born in Chicago. In 1858, Dr. Blake was associated with Prof. Daniel Brainard, De Laskie Miller and J. P. Ross, of the Rush Medical College, in organizing the old City Hospital of Chicago, and with them composed its medical and surgical staff until he entered the medical service of the United States, at the commencement of the late Rebellion. The outbreak of the war found Dr. Blake in the midst of a large and lucrative practice, and the occupant of many high and honorable positions in his profession, but with true patriotism, marked with that large-hearted generosity and forgetfulness of self-interests which has always characterized his acts through life, he was appointed by Gov. Richard Yates surgeon of the 19th Regiment Ill. V. The regiment was immediately ordered to Missouri, passing via Quincy, Ill. At the latter place, through appreciation of the eminent ability of the surgeon of the 19th, Gen. Stephen A. Hurlbut detailed him from his regiment to act as surgeon on his staff. While in Quincy, the doctor organized a large division hospital, which remained in that city until the close of the war. In July, 1861, Dr. Blake was transferred to the 39th Reg. Ill. V., and with his regiment went to St. Louis, and from there to East Virginia, and was with General N. P. Banks in his celebrated campaign through the Shenandoah Valley. During the several bloody battles of this campaign, the doctor was always found promptly on the ground, ministering to the many and grievous necessities of the wounded. Later in this campaign, the doctor was detailed from his regiment by Gen. Banks, and placed in charge of the general hospital of the division, which responsible position he occupied during the remainder of that campaign. As a proof of the estimation in which the doctor was held by his companions in arms, we take the liberty of inserting the following extracts from among letters received by him during and immediately after his service. They will explain themselves. Headquarters, 1st Div., Dept. of Shenandoah, near Edinburg, Va., April 12, 1862. Dr. Saml. C. Blake, Surgeon, 39th Reg. I. V. - Dr. Sir: I have had ample opportunity of estimating your services as a hospital surgeon, and feel much pleasure in being able to testify to the care and attention bestowed upon the man, and to the professional skill displayed on many occasions, when the service required it. In field hospitals, where many things needful for the comfort of the sick soldier have to be improvised, a faithful devotion of duty and self-sacrifice are qualities eminently needed; in your display of these I have also been witness, and put on record here my complete approval of, and satisfaction with, your conduct at the Brigade Hospital, Hancock. I am, doctor, Yours Respectfully, Thomas Antisell, Brigade Surgeon Vols. and Medical Director 1st Division, Dept. of the Shenandoah. The next, which will suffice, is from Gen. Osborne, the first colonel of the 39th Ill. V., afterward promoted to major general, and now Minister Plenipotentiary from the United States to the Argentine Republic. Headquarters 39th Reg. I. V., Harrison's Landing, James River, Va. Army of the Potomac, Aug. 5, 1863. Dr. S. C. Blake - My dear old surgeon: If at any time you should need my good offices, they shall be freely given you for the good name and reputation which you won for yourself and my regiment in the medical department of the army in the field, as I cannot forget that high and never to be forgotten compliment paid me as your commanding officer by Maj. Gen. Williams, in your behalf, for your distinguished services when in charge of the general hospital. Please accept the kindest wishes of, Yours truly, Thomas O. Osborne, Major General In 1862 Dr. Blake was compelled to resign his position in the army on account of chronic diarrhea, which he had contracted in the service during the severe and fatal winter and spring campaign preceding. After returning home to Chicago, the doctor was incapacitated from any active labor in his profession for more than a year. In 1863, having sufficiently recovered from his illness to go into active practice, he was honored with the appointment of County Physician of Cook County, Ill. In 1865, he was appointed City Physician of the City of Chicago, which responsible position he held two years, discharging the duties thereof with credit to himself and to the city. He was one of a number of prominent gentlemen and ladies in Chicago who founded the present flourishing Women and Children's Hospital of Chicago, and was one of the consulting physicians and surgeons until he moved to Manitowoc in 1877. In 1869, he, in association with Dr. W. H. H. Byford, and other prominent physicians of Chicago, organized the Women's Hospital Medical College of Chicago, and became one of its faculty, occupying the chair of professor of diseases of the mind and nervous system, a position of eminent honor and usefulness, for about seven years. In 1868, Dr. Blake, while a member of the Board of Supervisors of the County of Cook, in connection with the late Hon. James H. Reese, after long and faithful urging, prevailed upon the Board to occupy the old City Hospital as a county hospital, and this was the beginning of the present magnificent Cook County Hospital, which is the pride of Chicago, and an honor to the State. After the doctor left Chicago to live in Manitowoc, recognizing his eminent ability in his profession and worth as a gentleman, the physicians and surgeons of his old home, Chicago, at a meeting of their society, elected him an honorary member thereof, and the following extract from a letter from his old and time-tried friend, Dr. Byford, will attest: Chicago, Ill., Jan. 15, 1878. Dear Dr. Blake - The Society of Physicians and Surgeons took great pleasure in electing you an honorary member of that body. Several of the gentlemen spoke in terms of warm friendship, and with great good will wished you prosperity and happiness in your new home. I am, as ever, your very true friend, W. H. H. Byford Dr. Blake has been a member of the Massachusetts State Medical Society, Boston Medical Association, Illinois State Medical Society, Chicago Society of Physicians and Surgeons and the American Medical Association. He has many times been elected to represent his profession in both the State and national associations of physicians, and has always been an active and loyal member of his profession. In religion he is a Methodist, having been an active and conscientious member of that organization since he was a young man. He has ever sustained an enviable reputation as a man of honor and integrity, as well as for rare skill and success as a medical practitioner. No considerations of policy, professional or mercenary, affright him from the exercise of righteous judgment, or deter him from the expression of a conscientious opinion. He sturdily adheres to the path of rectitude in his profession, and looks upon quackery as an impious tampering with human life, and puts it aside with scornful detestation. Such a course has its reward, and gains the applause of all who behold it. It shames the mountebank, strengthens the young physician and crowns the profession with an honorable reputation. But the doctor is as highly esteemed for his qualities of heart as he is admired for his qualities of mind, talents, and attainments. He is a gentlemen of a kind and generous nature, with warm impulses, and generous to a fault. His charities are open-handed as well as open-hearted, and he is held in equal estimation by dwellers in cots and in palaces. He mingles with the latter with ease and grace, and associates with the former without endangering his dignity. He has no affectation or egotism to alienate the one, or haughtiness of behavior to repel the other. He has served his generation so well that its prayers would continue his term of service for many years to come.
URY BLAKE From "A Century of Masonry 1856-1956" by Merle E. Hutchins (with permission) A relatively unknown member who served the lodge as Senior Deacon during dispensation, Junior Warden in 1857 and Senior Warden in 1858. He was also one of the founders of Manitowoc Chapter. No further information can be found in regard to his life or membership with our lodge after 1858.
ADOLPHUS BLAZIER Both Milton and Adolphus Blazier were born in Gibson, Manitowoc co. WI
ERNST BLEICHWEHL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.194-195. Ernst Bleichwehl is numbered among the native sons of Manitowoc county, his birth having occurred December 8, 1878, near Newton, on the farm where he now resides. His father, Henry Bleichwehl, was a native of Germany, born in 1840, and served there in the Hanoverian army. In 1867, when he was twenty-seven years of age, he came to America, settling in Manitowoc county, where for about four years he followed the trade of carpentering. In the same year he married Miss Anna Wahlers, who died four years later. She was a daughter of John Wahlers. In 1878 Mr. Bleichwehl was again married, his second union being with Miss Meta Schlueter, who was born in Newton township and was a daughter of Ernst Schlueter, a native of Germany. In 1878 Mr. Bleichwehl purchased the farm in Newton township, on which he has since lived and where his son Ernst, of this review, now resides. Here his wife, Meta (Schlueter) Bleichwehl, passed away in 1893. Ernst Bleichwehl received his education in the district schools and grew to manhood on his fathers farm, where he has always resided with the exception of two years, during which he worked at the masons trade. In 1903 he purchased the homestead and is now operating the same. Having given so much time and attention to farming, he proceeds along the most scientific lines and his well tilled fields yield annually a good income. In 1903 Mr. Bleichwehl wedded Miss Ida Nagel, who was born in Liberty and is a danghtcr of Ludwig Nagel. Mr. and Mrs. Bleichwehl have become the parents of two children: Henry, born July 1, 1905 and Ludwig, born August 1, 1908. Mr. Bleichwehl has spent his entire life in this county and although still a young man, he has contributed greatly to its agricultural progress. He is practical and systematic in all that he does and has gained that measure of prosperity which follows earnest, persistent and well directed labor. Both he and Mrs. Bleichwehl have many friends throughout the community, and they are prominent members of the German Lutheran church at Newton.
P.J. BLESCH From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 526 General merchandise, Manitowoc, born Jan. 6, 1827 in Germany; in 1848, came to New York; in 1849, came to Milwaukee; in 1850, removed to Manitowoc, carried on the business of cabinet making three years. In 1853 he opened this store, and with the exception of about four years, has continued in this business since. Mr. Blesch held the office of County Treasurer during 1861 and '62. He was married in 1853, to Margaret Kellner, of Germany. They have three children - two sons and one daughter.
ADAM BLESER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.365-366. Adam Bleser, who, during a long and useful life, was closely associated with the business, political and church interests of Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, was born in Germany, June 26, 1821, and came to the United States in 1845. He located first in the state of Pennsylvania, and after traveling to a number of other points made his way to Manitowoc county in 1847, first opening a store at Manitowoc Rapids, where he was engaged in business until 1861. In that year he came to Manitowoc, opening a general store on Eighth street, continuing there for several years and then moving to another location, where he was engaged in business until his establishment was destroyed by fire. During his latter years he was engaged in selling sewing machines, and also was the owner of a farming property in Rapids township. On April 27, 1851, Mr. Bleser was married to Mary Elizabeth Pauly, who was born in Neunkirchen, Prussia, a daughter of James and Katherine (Justen) Pauly, who came to the United States in 1842 and first located at Green Bay, later going to Little Chute and also spending some time in Vanderbroek township, Outagamie county. Mr. Pauly then purchased wild land in Outagamie county, when the country was in its virgin state and wild animals and Indians were still to be found in plenty. There Mrs. Bleser’s parents resided during the remainder of their lives. They had four daughters and a son, of whom Mrs. Bleser and a sister survive. Mrs. Bleser came to Manitowoc as a young woman, in 1847, and spent one year with her sister, and again in 1851 located in Manitowoc, where she met Mr. Bleser. Eleven children were born to them: Adam Joseph, register of deeds, of Milbank, South Dakota; Daniel Bernard, the owner of a large brewery in Manitoba, who married Bertha Hoyer and has four children; Nicholas James, bank president, business man and land owner, of Milbank, South Dakota; Minnie E., deceased, who married (first) Dr. Seeger, and (second) Mr. DuVal of Kewaunee; Henry John, who lost his life at the age of eight years by drowning; William C., who died at the age of one and one-half years; Marie C., who died when twelve years of age; Ida J., who married Frank Miller; Theresa Agnes, who married J. P. Staehle; Margaret L., who is deceased; and Josephine, who married N. N. Knutzen. The members of this family are all connected with the Catholic church. Adam Bleser was prominent in school work, was one of the first postmasters of Manitowoc, and in 1850 was county treasurer. He was a devout member of the Catholic church, and he assisted in building one of the first structures of that denomination in Manitowoc Rapids. From the time of its organization he was a member of the Catholic Knights. He and his family were all great lovers of music and were instrumental in establishing one of the first choirs in this part of the county. Mr. Bleser’s death occurred September 16, 1895, and he was mourned by all who had known him. Always a man of strict honesty and integrity, he was conscientious in his efforts to what he believed to he right, and he stood high in the esteem of his fellow townsmen who had the utmost confidence in him.
G. BLOQUELLE From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 526 General merchandise, Manitowoc, is a native of Germany; was born June 27, 1833. Came to this place in 1856, and opened a gun shop; continued this business till 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, 9th Wis. Inf.; served his enlistment and returned to Manitowoc, and carried on his gun shop till 1867, when he established this business; he has been City Marshal one year. Married in 1867, to Kesena Schuette, of Germany; she has one son by a former marriage, Emil Bench, now practicing law.