[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
PETER DALEIDEN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.382-383. Peter Daleiden, who has held the office of city marshal of Kiel for the past eight years, was born at Mequon, Wisconsin, on the 8th of December, 1859, and is a son of John and Margaret (Bott) Daleiden. The father was a native of Germany and there he was likewise reared and educated. Soon after the death of his first wife, he emigrated to the United States with his two children. Upon his arrival in this country he located in Milwaukee, and there for many years he followed the wagon maker’s trade. He next went to Mequon, this state, and engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1874. In the latter year he disposed of his farm and came to Kiel, where he established a saloon and a meat market, both of which he conducted until his death on the 22d of February, 1881, at the age of fifty-four years. The mother was forty-four when she died on the 22d of April, 1880. There were ten children born to Mr. Daleiden and his second wife, of whom our subject was the eldest. The others in order of birth were as follows: Elizabeth, the widow of H. Eastman of Milwaukee; Jacob, who also lives in Milwaukee; John, who is deceased; Helena, the wife of H. Hustlein; Frank, a resident of Milwaukee; Joseph who lives in northern Wisconsin; Margaret, of Chicago; Mary, who married Charles Saicheck, also of Milwaukee: and Henry, who is a resident of Kiel. After leaving school, Peter Daleiden assisted with the operation of the home farm until it was sold, after which he came to Kiel and engaged in business with his father until the latter’s death. He subsequently became sole owner of the meat market, continuing to operate it until 1904, when he retired from active business. Mr. Daleiden was married in 1881 to Miss Katherine Menne who was born in Rhine, Sheboygan county, on April 26, 1860 and is a daughter of Peter Menne. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Daleiden, as follows: Mamie, the wife of C. Grassolt, of Kiel, by whom she has had one child, Cora, who is nine years of age; Peter, a druggist at Chilton, who married Verona Peters; and Arthur, who is attending the dental college at Milwaukee. Both Mr. and Mrs. Daleiden are communicants of the Roman Catholic church, and he votes the democratic ticket. He has always taken an active interest in political affairs and was one of the first trustees of Kiel. Later he held the office of deputy sheriff for a year, and in 1904 he was elected city marshal, and has ever since been the incumbent of this office. He has proven a very competent officer and has discharged his duties in a manner entirely satisfactory to the community at large as is manifested by the length of his term.
Chas. DallmannThis is part of a large photo of men who belonged to the B.& M.I.U. No. 12 of Manitowoc. It can be found at the I-43 Antique Mall at Manitowoc B & M I U = Bricklayers and Masons’ International Union of America B&MIU was a successor to the Bricklayers International Union of the United States of North America, founded in 1865. In 1910 the B&MIU became interested in organizing plasterers and the union’s title then became the Bricklayers, Mason, and Plasterers’ International Union of America. W.E. DALLWIG W.E. Dallwig, manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes, No. 157 Farwell avenue [Milwaukee]. Commenced business October 1, 1880. Makes a specialty of custom work, of which he has established trade; employs two men. Mr. Dallwig was born in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, February 15, 1854, a son of F. and Amelia (Felker) Dallwig. Both natives of Prussia, who came to America over 30 years ago. He was raised a farmer. He learned the trade of shoemaker in Manitowoc. Came to Milwaukee in February, 1875, worked at the trade until he opened his shop. Married, September 20, 1877, to Miss Minnie Schoembs. They have two daughters and a son. (Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1451) GOTTLIEB DAMLER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Northern Wisconsin" published 1881, page 526. Gottlieb Damler, County Treasurer, Manitowoc, is a native of Germany, born Sept. 25, 1826; came to Sheboygan June 6, 1851, there he remained seven months, then removed to Two Rivers, followed there the boot and shoe business till 1873. He had learned this trade in his native country, having served there ten years; he has also been engaged in the manufacture of brick from 1873 to 1876, when he was elected County Treasurer, which position he continued to hold during his residence in Two Rivers. He held offices of Assessor, Town Treasurer four years, School Treasurer sixteen and a half years, has been Chairman of the Town and County Board of Supervisors during 1873, '74 and '75, and has been the recipient of many other public honors. (the following contributed by a family researcher, see contributors page) He was born on September 25, 1826 in Lippe Detmold, Germany to Wolrath and Christiana Damler. His siblings included sister Augusta and brother Carl. Both also immigrated to Wisconsin. Another brother is thought to have left Germany for the Netherlands. Nothing further is known of him. Gottlieb was trained as a shoemaker, probably after several years as an apprentice. Gottlieb Damler left the German port of Bremen on the ship Kosmos and arrived in New York on June 2, 1851, heading for Sheboygan, Wisconsin. The ship passenger list mentions that he was 24 years old. As a young man he was a shoemaker in Two Rivers, Wisconsin., later held several political offices in Manitowoc County, WI. He was also a deacon in a Methodist Church in Two Rivers, Wisonsin. On September 9, 1854 he married Christina Sachse in Two Rivers. She was the daughter of Gottlob and Augustena Sachse. They had five children, that we have records of, August, Fred, Matilda, Gretina ( Tina), Robert C. and Mathilde ? In an article in the Manitowoc County Chronicle, Two Rivers Newspaper on May 21, 1872; the following story appeared. Mrs. Allie, widow of the late Jno. V. Allie, called the Chronicle office last week, and requested us to make acknowledgement of the receipt by her of the whole amount due on the policy which her deceased husband held in the Northwestern Life Insurance company of Milwaukee. She tenders her thanks to the company and to their very efficient agent at Two Rivers, G. Damler, for promptness with which the amount of the policy has been paid, and gratefully recommends this company to the favorable consideration of the public generally. From an article in the Lakeshore Times on April 18, 1845. The new city board met and organized last night but transacted no business. They adjourned until Wednesday night at which time they will probably proceed to elect the various city officers. The following list comprises the names of the new board. First ward: H. Greve, J.G. Lehmkuhl, G. Damler, Second ward: Peter Johnston. J.S. Anderson and Thos. Torrison, Third ward: Henry Vits, John Schreihardt, Harry Hanson, Fourth ward: John Boecher, J.F. Dumke, G.I. Gilbert. Besides his social and political activities, he invested in land and according to Wisconsin land records in 1884 Gottlieb Damler owned 320 acres of land in Iron County, Wisconsin. He died in 1902 and is buried in the family plot in Evergreen Cemetery of Manitowoc, Manitowoc County, WI. (INFORMATION ON GOTTLIEB DAMLER CAME FROM FAMILY NOTES AND THE WONDERFUL WORK OF SHARI MILKS ON THE MANITOWOC COUNTY, WI WEB SITE.) Gottlieb Damler (sent in by family researcher, see contributors page.)
ALBERT W. DAMROW This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.405-406. Albert W. Damrow, foreman of the finishing department of the Kiel Furniture Company, has been employed in this plant ever since he left school, a period of almost twenty years. His birth occurred in the village of Wollin, in North Germany on the 17th of April, 1879, his parents being William and Christina (Blumreich) Damrow. The father is now fifty—eight years of age, having been born on December 22, 1853, while the mother is fifty—one. They have long been residents of Kiel, the father likewise being an employe of the Kiel Furniture Company. They are the parents of five children, of whom our subject is the eldest, the others being as follows: William, who is at home; Anna, the wife of William Bauman, who is employed in the power plant at Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Richard, who is a wood finisher working in Milwaukee; and Ernest, who is still at home. As he was still very young when his parents emigrated to the United States, in the acquirement of his education Albert W. Damrow attended the public schools of Plymouth until he was fourteen years of age. He then became an apprentice in the factory of the Kiel Furniture Company, where he has ever since been employed. As he was a very bright lad, possessing unusual mechanical skill and the faculty of concentrating his entire attention upon whatever he was assigned to do, he made rapid progress. His employers quickly recognized in him promise of more than average ability and promoted him from time to time in accordance with the aptitude he manifested, until, in 1904, at the age of twenty—five, he was made head of the finishing department, the duties of which position he has ever since discharged. That he is a capable and efficient workman as well as a trustworthy and competent foreman is evidenced by the long period of his connection with the firm. Mr. Damrow was married in 1901 to Miss Augusta Vogel, who was born in Germany on the 1st of October, 1877, and is a daughter of William and Wilhelmina (Ladwig) Vogel, natives of the province of Pomerania, Germany. They emigrated to the United States in 1880, locating in Kiel, where the father worked at the trade of a stone mason until he had a stroke of paralysis, since which he has been living retired. He now makes his home with his son—in—law, our subject. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Vogel numbers four, as follows: Herman and William, farmers of Schleswig township; Mrs. Damrow and Anna, the wife of Henry Ball, of Plymouth, Wisconsin; Mr. and Mrs. Damrow have five children: Remilda, who is eleven years of age; Alfred, who has passed the tenth anniversary of his birth; Mildred, who is eight; Dorothea, who is anticipating her seventh birthday; and Marcella, who is two years old. The family attend the Reformed German church, in which the parents hold membership, and Mr. Damrow belongs to Kiel Camp, No. 2838, Modern Woodmen of America, and he is also affiliated with the Equitable Fraternal Union, in which he holds the office of inside guard. His political support is given to the republican party and he has been holding the office of chief of the village fire department since 1909. He is one or the highly regarded citizens of the town and has a large circle of friends, many of whom were comrades of his boyhood days, which fact is a tribute to his character. PATRICK DANAHY From the Manitowoc Pilot, March 10, 1870: IN PROBATE - Manitowoc County court In the matter of the estate of Patrick C. Danahy, deceased. On reading and filing the petition of Mrs. Mary Danahy, of Manitowoc in said county, representing among other things that Patrick C. Danahy, late of said county, on the 9th day of April A.D. 1868, near Waukegan, Ill., died intestate, leaving goods, chattels and estate within this state, and that the said petitioner is widow of said deceased, and praying that license be to Michael Dooling granted, it is ordered that said petition be heard before the judge of this court on Wednesday the 16th day of March A.D. 1870, at 10 o'clock a.m., at my office in said county. Ordered further, that notice thereof be given to the heirs of said deceased, and to all persons interested, by publishing a copy of this order for three successive weeks prior to said day of hearing in The Manitowoc Pilot, a weekly newspaper printed and published at Manitowoc in said county. W.W. Waldo, County Judge Manitowoc, Feb. 23d, 1870 ALBERT WILLIAM DASSLER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.455-456. Albert William Dassler, secretary and general manager of the Kiel Furniture Company and one of the enterprising business men of Manitowoc county, was born in Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, being a son of Herman and Wilhelmina Dassler. Herman Dassler was born in Germany, as was his wife, and they came to the United States with their parents when they were about five or six years of age. The father was a carpenter and builder and found ready employment for he had been carefully trained in his work. The family had settled in Sheboygan county and from there came to the city of Manitowoc in 1872, when our subject was six years of age. Albert William Dassler received educational training, attending the high school of Manitowoc and that of Watertown and was graduated from the latter in 1883. Following his graduation, Mr. Dassler taught school in the country districts of Manitowoc county for five years, and was then made principal of the high school of Kiel in 1888, holding that position for four years. He then was appointed principal of the high school at Two Rivers and remained there from 1892 to 1894. His work as an educator had brought him before the public, and he was the successful candidate for county superintendent of schools in 1894. After serving three years in that office, Mr. Dassler became interested with J. B. Laun in the Kiel Furniture Company, and is now the secretary and general manager of that concern. Since then many important changes have been effected including the erection of a plant at Milwaukee, and the company give employment in their Milwaukee and Kiel houses to about three hundred men. In addition to these interests, Mr. Dassler is a director of the State Bank of Kiel. In December, 1891. Mr. Dassler was married to Miss Clara Heins of Kiel, a daughter of Carl Heins, a merchant and banker of this city. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Dassler, namely, Athlea, Helene and Gertrude. Mr. Dassler is a Mason and Odd Fellow and also belongs to the Turn Verein, Maennerchor and Kiel Harmony Band. Having been well trained for his work, Mr. Dassler has been able to push his concern to the front among others of its kind, and his position in the business world is one that has been won through earnest ettort. H. F. DASSLER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.483-484. H. F. Dassler is connected with a furniture store and undertaking establishment in Cleveland, where he has been identified with commercial interests for seventeen years. He was born in Centerville township on the 15th of February, 1866, and is a son of Ernest and Theresa (Hedrich) Dassler, both natives of Saxony, Germany. The father was born in 1836 and passed the first sixteen years of his life in his native land, whence he emigrated to the United States with his parents in 1852, locating in Manitowoc county. Here for many years he engaged in farming but he is now living retired and makes his home in Hika. He enlisted as a private in Company B, Ninth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, in 1861, and went to the front, remaining in the service for three years, receiving his discharge in 1864. The mother’s people also emigrated to the United States in 1852 and when they first came here settled in Pennsylvania, there remaining for three years but later removed to Mosel, Sheboygan county. Reared on the farm where he was born, while pursuing his education in the district schools. H.F. Dassler was also engaged in assisting his father with the work of the fields and care of the crops. After leaving school he entered a cheese factory and learned the trade, which he followed for eleven years. At the expiration of that time he decided upon a commercial career and came to Cleveland, where he took a position in the establishment of A. Stoltenberg. In 1890, Mr. Dassler was united in marriage to Miss Mary Bahr, a daughter of August Bahr, one of the pioneer settlers of Manitowoc county, and they became the parents of two children, Victor and Edna. Mrs. Dassler passed away in 1893, at Cleveland, and in November, 1899, Mr. Dassler married Miss Alvina Oemichen, a daughter of Louis Oemichen who came to this country in 1848, locating in Meeme. Three children have been born to Mr. Dassler and his second wife, as follows: Gertie, Cora and Melvin. The two elder are attending school. The family attend the German Reformed church in which the parents hold membership and fraternally Mr. Dassler is affiliated with Cleveland Camp, No. 8582, M.W.A. and has been a member of the council of that order for twelve years. His political support he gives to the republican party, and at the present time is discharging the duties of town treasurer. Mr. Dassler has always manifested upright principles and the highest integrity in his business transactions and is fully entitled to the esteem and respect he is accorded by his fellow townsmen. MRS. T. DELABEK From the Manitowoc County Chronicle December 1, 1906, Mishicot Column Mrs. T. Delabek and children have departed for Milwaukee at which place they will make thier future home. HON. AMBROSE DELOS DELAND Hon. Ambrose Delos Deland, a well-known dairy farmer of Sheboygan County, is now a resident of the Chair City. Through his public service and the active part he has taken in dairy interests, he has gained a reputation throughout the State. Mr. DeLand was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., March 30, 1831, and when nine years of age accompanied his parents, Eli and Sophia (Miller) DeLand, who were natives of the same State, to Wisconsin. The trop was made by wagon, the family first locating in Calumet County, but five years later located in Fond du Lac County. There the parents spent their last days. They were members of the Methodist Church, and were of that industrious, sturdy class of settlers who laid the foundation for Wisconsin's greatness. Only three members of their family are living. Prof. O. P. DeLand was an instructor in the university at Appleton, and is now Principal of DeLand's Commercial College in Appleton; Mrs. A. E. Hatch resides in Fond du Lac. A. D. DeLand, as he is familiarly known, grew to manhood when the schools of Wisconsin were much inferior to what they are to-day; however, he received a good education in the public schools and in the academy at Fond du Lac. When sixteen years of age he taught his first school, and for seventeen terms thereafter was engaged in that calling. Among the positions he held during that time was the principalship of the schools of Manitowoc, also of Two Rivers. At the former place he was married, May 27, 1863, to Miss Mary Swett, a native of Monroe County, N. Y. Her parents, John W. and Hannah D. (Scribner) Swett, came to this county in 1846 and located on a farm in Lima Township, being among the pioneer settlers. Both are now deceased. They were active members of the Baptist Church, and were held in high esteem by a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Mr. Swett was a Republican in politics, and for a time held the position of Chairman of his township. Mrs. DeLand is the only surviving member of that family. Like her husband, she was a teacher for a number of years in the public schools. Soon after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. DeLand located on a farm in the town of Lima, where they made their home until 1890, the date of their removal to the Evergreen City. In dairy farming Mr. DeLand has made a marked success. He owns one of the finest farms in the county, consisting of one hundred and seventy-four acres, on which he kept an average of thirty cows. He is also a breeder of Holstein cattle. For some twenty- seven years he was engaged in the manufacture of cheese, and has the distinction of having taken more premiums on dairy products than any other man in the State. At the organization of the Wisconsin Dairymen's Association, he became a member of that society, and in 1877 was chosen as its President. In the councils and conventions of the Republican party, Mr. DeLand is an active and influential man. For years he was Clerk of his town, and for twelve years was Chairman of the Town Board. In 1877, he was honored with the nomination and election to the Assembly, where he served his constituents faithfully and well, being Chairman of the Committee on Incorporations. In 1891 Mr. DeLand built a fine residence on a natural elevation on the lake shore, from which is had a commanding view of both lake and city. Mr. and Mrs. DeLand are unostentatious and unassuming in manner. They began their domestic life in moderate circumstances, and have accumulated a snug fortune, but have never failed to keep in sympathetic touch with the tillers of the soil, and with those who earn their bread by the sweat of the brow. Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Sheboygan County, Wis. - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago, Page 701 BERNARD DELSMANN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.261-262. Bernard Delsmann, who is engaged in general farming and the raising of stock on the old Delsmann home place, on section 34, town of Kossuth, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, is a well known and respected citizen of this part of the county, in which his entire life has been passed. He was born May 16, 1851, in the old log cabin that his father had built on this farm when he first came to what was then a wilderness. He is a son of Theodore and Carrie (Brown) Delsmann. They were born in Germany. The father came to America in 1848 and joined his brother, Bernard Delsmann, who had settled in the city of Milwaukee several years previously. Together the brothers went to the town of Kossuth, in Manitowoc county where Bernard secured eighty acres and Theodore one hundred and sixty acres of wild land. Theodore Delsmann was unmarried at that time and lived alone and took care of his domestic affairs for a while there being a little shanty on his place, which had been erected by the previous owner, who had also cleared about a half acre of land before he became discouraged and disposed of his property. Theodore Delsmann, however, was not a man to be easily disheartened by hard work or pioneer hardships. After securing his land he bought an ox team and with this necessary help began the clearing of his land and was permitted to live long enough to see fertile fields in the place of the forest he had found. About the time of his marriage he built a double log house, thirty by thirty-two feet in dimension, and here his four children were born: Bernard, Carrie, Dena and Joe, all of whom survive except Dena. In later years Theodore Delsmann built a handsome stone residence. When he was prepared to erect his barn with dimensions of forty-four by thirty-two feet, he cleared off two acres of his land in order to secure proper logs and this substantial structure still stands although a later addition with dimensions of thirty-four by one hundred feet was built. He was a fine man in every relation of life, a faithful Catholic and a stanch member of the democratic party in this section. He lived to an advanced age, his death occurring in 1898, when he was over eighty-one years, his wife died in 1884. Bernard Delsmann assisted his father very materially in clearing and putting the farm under cultivation. Prior to his father’s death he had been operating the farm under rental and afterward bought it and has made extensive improvements since it has become his own property, these improvements including the enlarging of the farm house, the building of a granary, wind mill and silo. He now has one of the best tilled and modern farms in the township and owns a fine lot of graded stock. Mr. Delsmann married Miss Mary Krais and they have had eight children, namely: Clara, Theodore, Rose, Leo, Bruno, Maude, Carrie and Ida, all of whom are living except Leo. Mr. Delsmann and family are members of the Catholic church.
John DemskyThis is part of a large photo of men who belonged to the B.& M.I.U. No. 12 of Manitowoc. It can be found at the I-43 Antique Mall at Manitowoc B & M I U = Bricklayers and Masons’ International Union of America B&MIU was a successor to the Bricklayers International Union of the United States of North America, founded in 1865. In 1910 the B&MIU became interested in organizing plasterers and the union’s title then became the Bricklayers, Mason, and Plasterers’ International Union of America. ANTON DENK This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.269. Anton Denk, a prosperous business man and public-spirited citizen of Clarks Mills, is the proprietor of a fine hotel in this village, and the owner of thirty acres of valuable farming land on section 34, in the township of Cato. He was born in the town of Cato, Manitowoc county, January 26, 1877, and is a son of Joseph and Frances (Huber) Denk, natives of Germany. Mr. Denk’s parents were married in Wisconsin and his father is now living with him at the age of seventy-one years, while his mother died in 1902, aged sixty years, and is buried in the Clarks Mills cemetery. Anton Denk was the fourth of a family of thirteen children, of whom nine are now living, and he remained at home until he was nineteen years of age, at which time he commenced working for wages. On November 20, 1900, he was married to Miss Margaret Remeker, who was born in 1879, the daughter of Joseph and Barbara Remeker, who were natives of Germany and came to the United States in childhood. They were married in Manitowoc county and settled in the town of Franklin, where they are now living, the father being sixty-five years of age and the mother sixty-three. They had a family of seven children, of whom Mrs. Denk was the fifth in order of birth. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Denk, namely, George, Edward, Ida and Raymond. Mr. and Mrs. Denk are members of the St. Mary’s Catholic church of Clarks Mills and he is connected with the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin. In politics he is an adherent of the principles of the democratic party. He enjoys a large and profitable patronage at his hotel, which is modern in every respect, and is very popular with the traveling public. JOSEPH DENK This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.310-311. Joseph Denk, who has been prominently identified with the agricultural interests of the town of Cato for some years, is now cultivating a tract of ninety acres, situated on sections 7 and 18, and was born in this town, April 11, 1872, a son of Joseph and Frances (Huber) Denk. At the age of twelve years Joseph Denk, Jr., began to work for wages among the farmers of his locality, bringing his wages home to his mother until he was twenty-one years old. On attaining his majority he commenced working for himself, and after three years had saved enough to warrant his renting a property and start farming on his own account. In 1900 he purchased the land which he is now operating, sixty-five acres of which are under cultivation, and he also owns twenty acres of undeveloped brush land on section 18. General farming has occupied his attention, and he markets dairy products, cattle, hay, grain and potatoes, while he milks on an average ten cows, of mixed breeds. The land is well fenced with barbed and woven wire, a plentiful water supply is secured from a drilled well, and the farm is equipped with good, substantial buildings, including a frame barn, forty by fifty-six feet, which was erected by Mr. Denk's father-in-law and a cement-floored horse barn, twenty-four by eighty, erected in 1905. The seven-room residence is the original log homestead, which has been framed over and with additions made thereto. In 1897 Mr. Denk married to Miss Eva Eigenberger, who was born September 3, 1874, the only child of Wenzel and Eva (Fritch) Eigenberger, the former a native of Germany, and the latter of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Eigenberger were married in Manitowoc county, and shortly thereafter settled on the farm now operated by Mr. Denk, where Mr. Eigenberger's death occurred October 26, 1884. He was buried in St. Mary's cemetery at Clarks Mills. Mrs. Eigenberger subsequently married Anton Bohman, and died March 6, 1904, being buried beside her husband. Mr. and Mrs. Denk have had eight children, Anton, Agnes, Joseph, Lucy, Lawrence, Richard, Bernard and Mildred. Mr. Denk is a member of the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, and he and his family attend St. Mary's Catholic church of Clarks Mills. Politically a democrat, he has served for two years as a member of the school board and is now secretary thereof.
JOHN DENWAY From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 526 Manufacturer of hosiery, etc., Manitowoc, employs forty-five hands, and manufactures on an average fifty dozen hose per day. He was born in Oswego, New York, Dec. 23, 1845, and lived there until he was about seventeen years of age. He enlisted in 1861, Company B, 8th Missouri Zouaves, and served four and a half years, and was mustered out at St. Louis, Mo., in 1865. He participated in the battles Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Arkansas Post, and the first charge of Vicksburg, under Gen. Sherman; he was in nearly all of the western battles of any importance; after being mustered out he went to Chicago, and went into the business of hose manufacturing for eleven years, then he went to Janesville; was there some time in same business. He came to Manitowoc in January, 1880, and began his present occupation. He was married in Chicago, March 9, 1876, to Miss Minnie Pautz; she was born in Manitowoc County, May 1857.
Aug. DetroisThis is part of a large photo of men who belonged to the B.& M.I.U. No. 12 of Manitowoc. It can be found at the I-43 Antique Mall at Manitowoc B & M I U = Bricklayers and Masons’ International Union of America B&MIU was a successor to the Bricklayers International Union of the United States of North America, founded in 1865. In 1910 the B&MIU became interested in organizing plasterers and the union’s title then became the Bricklayers, Mason, and Plasterers’ International Union of America.
Ernst DetroisThis is part of a large photo of men who belonged to the B.& M.I.U. No. 12 of Manitowoc. It can be found at the I-43 Antique Mall at Manitowoc B & M I U = Bricklayers and Masons’ International Union of America B&MIU was a successor to the Bricklayers International Union of the United States of North America, founded in 1865. In 1910 the B&MIU became interested in organizing plasterers and the union’s title then became the Bricklayers, Mason, and Plasterers’ International Union of America. HUGO DHEIN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.454-455. One of the energetic and respected young agriculturists of Centerville township is Hugo Dhein, who is operating his farm of one hundred and twenty acres, upon which he has lived since boyhood. He has a thorough knowledge of his business and is successfully handling all its details. He was born in Mosel township, Sheboygan county, October 25, 1881, the son of Joseph Dhein, a native of Sheboygan county, whose parents emigrated to the new world in 1848. On coming to this country the grandparents took up agricultural pursuits and in 1882, Joseph Dhein settled in Manitowoc county on a farm which originally contained eighty acres. He later increased his holdings to one hundred and twenty acres and is still a resident of Centerville township. The eldest in a family of three children, Hugo Dhein wasreared on a farm and is indebted to the common schools of the community and St. Wendel’s parochial school for the educational advantages he enjoyed. He assisted his father with the farm work until 1907, when he started in farming on his own account on the old homestead, where he has since lived. He is cultivating the entire place of one hundred and twenty acres and handles it in a very successful manner. On April 16, 1905, Mr. Dhein was united in marriage to Miss Lena Leonhard, a daughter of George and Genevieve Leonhard, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father on coming to this country engaged in agricultural pursuits, an occupation which he has always followed. To Mr. and Mrs. Dhein three children have been born: Elbert, Elnora and Joseph. The members of the family are affiliated with the Catholic church. Mr. Dhein has always given his undivided attention to his agricultural pursuits, finding very little time to devote to other matters, yet he takes a genuine interest in measures affecting the welfare of the state and votes with the democratic party. He is recognized as being among the better class of farmers of his community and his life is such that he is universally respected wherever known and particularly esteemed by his close personal friends. DIEDRICH DICKE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.396-399. Diedrich Dicke, one of the hardy pioneers and later one of the prosperous farmers of Two Rivers township, Manitowoc county, was born in Hanover, Germany, on January 31, 1820. Taking into consideration various lines of endeavor and seeing no opportunities ahead of him, such as he desired, he decided to emigrate to America and in 1846 arrived in New York city. He was practically without means when he came to this country, as all the money he could obtain was spent to pay his passage to the new world. For a short time he located in New York, proceeding from there to St. Louis and six months later made his way to Chicago, driving a team and wagon. From there he came to Cedarburg, Wisconsin, and subsequently worked in Kewaunee and Two Rivers, where in 1850 he acquired title to a tract of government land in Two Rivers township. Shortly after he married, and the early years which he spent on his land were taken up with clearing and grubbing. To support themselves the family during the first years of their residence engaged in making shingles, which they sold for building purposes, and also in gathering bark, which they disposed of to a tannery. Later the shingle timber gave out and by that time the land was sufficiently cleared to permit of farming. One of his purposes when coming to America was to find a location for the family of his future wife's parents and shortly after settling in Wisconsin he wrote them a letter about the promising conditions of the country and they came directly to Newton township, Manitowoc county, where they were one of the first families to locate. Maria Hempschemeyer had been his sweetheart in the fatherland where they had been engaged to marry, and soon after coming here with her parents the young couple walked to Manitowoc Rapids, which at that time was the county seat, and there were married. They immediately located on his land in Two Rivers township and there made their home until the death of Diedrich Dicke, which occurred March 2, 1895. The mother, who survives, is now living in Two Rivers. Mr. Dicke gave his political support to the democratic party and when the town of Two Rivers was set apart from the city he was elected as its first treasurer, 1878-79. He was truly one of Manitowoc county's earliest pioneers and endured all the hardships and privations incident to the life of those early days and contributed his full share toward the development of this district, making possible the conditions that now exist. Diedrich Dicke and Family
F. W. DICKE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.400-401. F.W. Dicke, who for twelve years discharged the duties of city attorney in Two Rivers, has been engaged in practice in Manitowoc county for fifteen years, and is recognized as one or the worthy representatives of his profession. He was born on his father's farm in Two Rivers township, this county, October 15, 1873, a son of Diedrich and Maria (Hempschemeyer) Dicke. F.W. Dicke was reared on the farm where he was born and when old enough to begin his education he entered the Tannery school, in the town of Two Rivers. After his graduation from the high school in 1890, he turned his attention to teaching, his first place being at Silverlake, this state, where he remained for a year. At the expiration of that time he secured the position in the school at Centerville, this county, and there he likewise taught for a year. In 1892 he returned to the farm and assisted his father until the autumn of the following year. Having decided to become a lawyer in 1893 he went to Madison and matriculated in the law department of the University of Wisconsin. There he pursued his professional studies for a year, at the end of which time he once more assisted his father on the farm. In 1895 he resumed his legal studies, remaining at the university until he was graduated on the 24th of June, 1896. Immediately after his admission to the bar, Mr. Dicke opened an office in Two Rivers and has ever since been engaged in general practice here. During the intervening years he has studiously applied himself to acquiring a fuller and more comprehensive understanding of legal principles, and is now recognized as one of the best read attorneys in the town. He prepares his cases with exceeding care and thoroughness and through his skill and efficiency always protects the interests of his clients in the courtroom. His integrity and trustworthiness together with his conscientious devotion to his profession and recognition of its highest ethics have enabled him to build up a large and lucrative practice, and he numbers among his clients many of the leading business men of the town. In addition to his profession Mr. Dicke has been associated with Peter H. Scherer in building and selling residences. They bought and erected houses on block 32, located between Madison and School streets and Twenty-first and Twenty-second streets, which they sold, and at the present time Mr. Dicke is erecting three houses on block 33 that he intends to sell. Mr. Dicke is not married and resides at 2111 Monroe street, where he has a very attractive residence, and his office is located at 1623 Washington street. He is a Royal Arch Mason and also belongs to the Two Rivers Gun Club, while he gives his political support to the democratic party. In the early years of his practice he was elected city attorney, the duties of which office he discharged with efficiency for twelve years. Mr. Dicke is highly regarded in both professional and business circles and is numbered among the substantial citizens of the town, where he has many stanch friends. GEORGE H. DICKE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.399-400. George H. Dicke, who engages in the real—estate, loan and insurance business at 1621 Washington street, Two Rivers, has passed his entire life in this immediate vicinity. He was born on a farm in Two Rivers township, Manitowoc county, on the 23d of April, 1856, and is a son of Diedrich and Maria Dicke. George H. Dicke attended the public schools of Two Rivers until he was fourteen years of age. He then laid aside his text-books and took charge of the farm, which he purchased from his father in 1887. His energies were thereafter devoted to agricultural pursuits with very good success until 1902 when he sold his farm and located in Two Rivers, where he has since been engaged in the real—estate, loan and insurance business. His efforts in this direction have been substantially rewarded, and as he is a capable man of enterprising methods he has every reason to feel assured of increasing prosperity. On the 23d of December, 1887, Mr. Dicke was united in marriage to Miss Ella Gebler, a daughter of August and Johanna Gebler, one of the pioneer families of Two Rivers. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Dicke, as follows: Nora, who is living at Milwaukee, this state: and Elsie, who is attending business college at Manitowoc. The family live at 911 Seventeenth street, where they own a very pleasant residence. Mr. Dicke has taken the degrees of the blue lodge of the Masonic fraternity, and he also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Equitable Fraternal Union. The chief recreation of Mr. Dicke has always been hunting and he is one or the active members of the Two Rivers Gun Club. He is identified with the social democratic party, and although he takes an active interest in all public and governmental affairs, has always given his support to such men or measures as he deems most likely to meet the exigencies of the situation. WILLIAM F. DICKE The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 526 Firm of Lehmkuhl & Dicke, general merchandise and sewing machines, Manitowoc, was born Aug. 30, 1857, in New Bremen, Auglaize Co., Ohio. When a child he came to Manitowoc with his parents. After completing his schooling he worked at various kinds of employment, was clerk for J. Schutte & Brothers from 1872 till the Fall of 1877, when this firm was established; married in the Spring of 1880 to Miss Bertha Wagner, of Manitowoc; they have one son, Kurth. FRIEDRICH DIEM
NICHOLAS DITTMAR From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 542 Nicholas Dittmar, farmer, Sec. 29, P.O. Meeme, was born Apr. 14, 1810, in Prussia; in 1840, came to Illinois; Nov. 19, 1847, he located this land, having owned one section. He has since deeded off 160 acres to his son. He was a member of the Assembly during 1866-67. Married, May 9, 1848 to Caroline Eck. This was the first marriage in the town of Meeme. They had three children, two living, one son and one daughter. FRANK DOBECK picture sent in by researcher, see contributors page
Frank Dobeck and Lena Meyer
AUGUST C. DOERSCH This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.311-312. August C. Doersch, who is successfully engaged in the grain and flour and feed business at Cleveland, was born at Granger, Minnesota, October 12, 1869. His parents were John W. and Henrietta (Mill) Doersch, both of whom were natives of Germany. The father, who was born in 1839, was brought to this country by his parents in 1848, when he was nine years of age. The family settled in Manitowoc county, where the grandfather engaged in farming. The father also began the occupation of farming and later took up the trade as a miller, which he followed in Granger, Minnesota, until 1878, when he located at Hika, Wisconsin, and engaged in the hotel business. He was thus employed up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1900. His wife, Henrietta (Mill) Doersch, passed away in 1911. August C. Doersch received his education in the common schools and after putting aside his text-books went to work for his father in the grain and flour and feed business. He continued in this work and in 1898 started out in the business for himself, in which work he is now actively engaged. He is very successful in this work and is carrying on an extensive business. In his political views Mr. Doersch is a republican, and he is a man of marked energy, of strong purpose and of unquestioned fidelity to every trust reposed in him. His genuine worth and fidelity to principle have gained him a high standing in the public regard and his work as a grain dealer has added to the commercial prosperity and the advancement of Cleveland. JAMES DONNELLY This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.50-51. James Donnelly, who for the past four years has been engaged in agricultural pursuits in Manitowoc Rapids township, this county, was born in Tonawanda, New York, on June 28, 1854. His father, Daniel Donnelly, was born in County Clare, Ireland, and there he was reared and educated, emigrating to the United States in 1845. Upon his arrival in this country he settled in the state of New York, where he lived during the greater part of the time during the succeeding twenty-one years. For his wife he chose Miss Maria Cummings of Toledo, Ohio, also a native of Ireland, and unto them were born eleven children. They made their home in New York until 1866, when they removed to Wisconsin, settling in the vicinity of Berlin, the parents passing the remainder of their lives in this state. The education of James Donnelly was begun in his native state, where he lived until he was twelve, and completed in the schools of Wisconsin. At the age of fourteen years he laid aside his text-books and was employed on the boats on the Fox and Wolf rivers, in various positions until he was made engineer. In 188o he entered the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company as locomotive engineer. He continued to follow this vocation for twenty-seven years and acquired sufficient means to purchase the farm, where he now resides. Upon his retirement from the railroad in 1907, he removed to the country and has ever since devoted his energies to the cultivation and improvement of his land. Although he had had little or no experience in agricultural pursuits, Mr. Donnelly has met with a reasonable degree of success in his venture and has a very attractive and comfortable place, that is well equipped and yields him a good annual income. In 1885, Mr. Donnelly was united in marriage to Miss Helen Booth, a daughter of Isaac and Louise Booth, of Minneapolis. Mrs. Donnelly is a native of Minnesota, having been born in Freeborn county on the 17th of October, 1866. In the paternal line she is of English extraction, her grandfather, Moses Booth, having come to America from the mother country, where he was born and reared. During the period of their residence in Manitowoc Rapids township both Mr. and Mrs. Donnelly have made many friends and are highly regarded in the community. J. DONOHUE From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 526 Assistant superintendent Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad, Manitowoc, was born in Ireland May 12, 1845. He emigrated with his parents to America, December, 1845, they settled in Pennsylvania, and lived until 1853, when they moved to Sheboygan Falls. The subject of our sketch lived there until Spring, 1861. He was station agent at Glenbeulah until 1862. He then went to Milwaukee in the employ of Milwaukee & Prairie du Chien Railroad as fireman until March, 1865, and returned to Sheboygan County and went in employ of the Sheboygan and Fond du Lac Railroad as baggage master, Fall, 1866, and bought grain for same company until 1868; was superintendent also. In the meantime the railroad went into the hands of S. M. Barrett, Cincinnati, Ohio, when Mr. Donohue went in his employ until Spring 1871. The railroad again changed hands to T. F. Strong, of Fond du Lac. Mr. D. remained with him until August 1871, after which he went into the employ of M., L. S. & W., at Sheboygan, taking charge of grading and laying the iron. After completing the same, he took charge of the passenger and freight train until Spring, 1873, then took charge of grading and laying the iron from Sheboygan to Manitowoc City; after completing the same to latter city, he was appointed roadmaster and assistant superintendent in fall 1873, and held the same until Fall, 1876, since which time he has held the position as above mentioned. He was married to Miss Abbie A. Clark, May 12, 1874, in Sheboygan County. She was born near Providence, R. I., June 1844. They have two children, Abbie A. and Hazel B. MICHAEL DOOLAN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.340-341. Michael Doolan, the owner of a well cultivated property of eighty acres situated on section 18, town of Franklin, is one of Manitowoc county's good agriculturists, and has the distinction of being the oldest living settler in his part of the county. He is a native of Massachusetts and was born June 9, 1842, a son of John and Julia (Noonan) Doolan, who were born in Ireland and there married. John Doolan came to America in 1832, and eight years later sent for his family, who settled in Massachusetts in 1840, and after four years removed to Hartford, Connecticut, where they remained until July, 1849. They then came to Wisconsin and spent two months in Milwaukee and two mouths in Manitowoc, after which Mr. Doolan purchased 160 acres of land, a part of which is the present farm of Michael Doolan. It took the family two and one—half days to make the journey from Manitowoc, they being moved by a Mr. McIntosh, who owned an ox team. Mr. McIntosh also hauled lumber from a lumber camp, situated on what is now section 8, town of Franklin, and with this lumber Mr. Doolan built a shanty to house his family, while with only his axe he started to clear his land from the heavy timber. A hard and faithful worker, Mr. Doolan continued to develop his land and at the time of his death, in 1874, when he was seventy—one years of age, he had a well-cultivated and productive property. His widow survived him until 1879, and was seventy—two years of age at the time of her death. Both are buried in St. Patrick's cemetery at Maple Grove. Mr. Doolan took an active interest in politics, but never aspired to public office. Mr. and Mrs. Doolan had a family of five children. Mary, who married William Falvey, and died July 13, 1903, being buried at St. Patrick’s cemetery, left a family of five children. Michael is the subject of this review. Bartholomew, who is married and living in Brown county, Wisconsin, has ten children. Ellen, who married John Moran, of De Pere, has four children. John, married and living in Minnesota, has two children. At the age of twenty years Michael Doolan engaged in the lumber business, and worked in the woods and on the rivers until 1870. He was married February 23, 1873, to Miss Mary Mullane, born April 29, 1856, the only child of James and Mary (Connell) Mullane, natives of Ireland who were married in Pennsylvania, shortly after which they came to Wisconsin and purchased eighty acres of wild timber land on section 18, town of Franklin. Mr. Mullane died on this land in April, 1890, at the age of sixty-eight years, and his widow passed away in March, 1903, when living with her son-in-law, Mr. Doolan, and both are buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery of Maple Grove. Mr. and Mrs. Doolan have had ten children. Mary married James O'Hearn, of Franklin, and has four children. Catherine, a graduate of Oshkosh Normal School, is now teaching at Kasson, Manitowoc county. Ellen, who lives at home, is engaged in keeping house for her father. John is the owner of the old homestead. Julia is living in Milwaukee. Bridget died at the age of five years. James is a graduate of the Manitowoc County Training School. Bartholomew, a graduate of Reedsville high school (1906) and Marquette College (1908), was employed on the Milwaukee Journal for two years in the circulation department, and later by the American Express Company for two years, and is now in the train service of the Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad at Mason City, Iowa. Agnes, who is a student at the Stevens Point Normal School and a graduate of Reedsville high school, is preparing herself for a career as a teacher. Clara is also preparing herself for teaching in the same institutions as her sister. Mrs. Doolan died September 18, 1895, and is buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery at Maple Grove. Mr. Doolan has all of his land under a high state of cultivation, and carries on general farming, dairying and stock-raising. He markets dairy products, grain and hay, and milks on an average fifteen graded cows, and breeds to Clyde horses. His basement barn which is forty-five by one hundred feet, was built first in 1870 and remodeled in 1910, when it was equipped with cement floor and patent stanchions. The frame house was built in 1864 and was remodeled in 1899, and it now consists of ten rooms and is up-to-date in every respect. The farm is well fenced with barbed and woven wire, and a plentiful water supply is secured from drilled wells. Mr. Doolan is a member of the Catholic Knights of America and the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, and with his family attends St. Patrick’s Catholic church of Maple Grove. He is independent in political matters, and has served as town treasurer and as treasurer of the school board, of which he was a member for about fifteen years. THOMAS C. DOREY From the "History of the Great Lakes" vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield 1899 Thomas C. Dorey, a reliable and experienced engineer sailing out of Manitowoc, Wis., is a descendant of a line of sailors, both branches of the family having followed the lakes. He was born in Cornwall, Canada, January 1, 1861, a son of Leon and Catherine (Smith) Dorey. The father was a St. Lawrence river pilot of considerable note, and was in the employ of Hiram A. Calvin a number of years, during which time he was master of the steamer Hiram A. Calvin, America, Young Traveler, Gildersleeve and numerous other vessels hailing from Garden Island. His uncle, Thomas, is still in Captain Calvin's employ as engineer of the steamer D. D. Calvin, as are also two other uncles, John and James Smith, the former being chief engineer of the Denver, the latter first assistant of the Hiram A. Calvin. In the spring of 1879, after acquiring a liberal public-school education, Mr. Dorey shipped as fireman in the steamer Hiram A. Calvin. The next spring he fired in the mail steamer Algerian, plying between Hamilton and Montreal, but held that berth only four weeks, and closed the season on the tug Jessie Hall. In 1881 he went to Chicago and shipped in the passenger steamer Sheboygan as fireman, followed by a season in the F. & P. M steamer No. 2. In January, 1883, he received an engineer's license, and was appointed second in the side-wheel passenger steamer Corona, remaining in her three seasons. He then transferred to the steamer Sheboygan as second engineer, holding that berth two seasons. The next year he joined the steamer Muskegon in the same capacity. In 1890, after running the tug Arctic about a month, he was appointed chief engineer of the passenger steamer Muskegon, which office he held seven consecutive years, or until September, 1896. He then assumed charge of the tug Arctic as engineer, and ran her until May 28, 1898, when he was made chief in the side-wheel steamer Chicago. He has been in the employ of the Goodrich Transportation Company fifteen consecutive years, without mishap of a serious nature occurring to the machinery under his charge. He is an honored member of the Marine Engineer's Beneficial Association at Manitowoc, having held the office of vice-president and treasurer of the lodge. In November, 1885, Mr. Dorey was united in marriage with Miss Margaret, daughter of James and Catherine (Kelley) Barry, of Manitowoc, and the children born to this union are, John Leo, Catherine Naomi, Loretta May, James T. and Charles Earl. The family residence is at No. 505 Chicago street, Manitowoc, Wisconsin. JOSEPH D. DOUCETT Manitowoc Pilot, April 17, 1868 JOSEPH D. DOUCETT. Was of Scotch descent, and aged about 37 years. He came to this county some ten or twelve years ago to follow his occupation, that of lumberman, but a wound received in the service incapacitated him for severe manual labor, and at the time of the disaster he was keeping a boarding house for the employes of Vilas & Co.'s woolen mill, four miles up the river. He was on his way to Chicago on business relating to an application he had made for a pension. In October, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Co. E, Fourteenth Regiment, and was subsequently promoted to be a corporal and detailed as one of the regimental color guard. At the battle of Corinth, in October 1862, while his regiment was being driven from its position by the overwhelming numbers of the enemy. Doucett, in endeavoring to save the colors from capture, was borne to the ground by a bayonet thrust, and left for dead on the field. He was taken and cared for by the enemy, and when he recovered and returned to his friends in the January following, was welcomed as one from the dead. Always prompt and faithful in the execution of his duty, brave even to rashness, and upright and honorable as a man, the army rolls do not contain the name of a better soldier than was Jo. Doucett. May his memory be ever green. He leaves a wife and two children, who live near Vilas & Co.'s mill. From the Manitowoc Pilot, March 10, 1870: IN PROBATE - Manitowoc County court In the matter of the estate of Joseph D. Doucett, deceased. On reading and filing the petition of Chloe Doucett, of said county, representing among other things that Joseph C. Doucett(sic), late of said county, on the 9th day of April, A.D. 1868, near Waukegan, Ill., died intestate, leaving goods, chattels and estate withing this state, and that the said petitioner is the widow of said deceased, and praying that administration of said estate be to T. C. Shove granted, it is ordered that said petition be heard before the judge of this court on Wednesday the 30th day of March A.D. 1870, at 10 o'clock a.m., at my office in said county. Ordered further, that notice therof be given to the heirs of said deceased, and to all persons interested, by publishing a copy of this order for three successive weeks prior to said day of hearing, in the Manitowoc Pilot, a weekly newspaper published at Manitowoc in said county. W.W.Waldo, County Judge Manitowoc, March 3d, 1870 PETER DRESE Manitowoc Tribune, Vol. 17 No. 52, Thursday April 13, 1871, Page 1 Column 7 A lunatic, raving mad, was brought to town last Saturday from Cooperstown; he had been insane before, was in the Asylum in Madison and discharged from there a year ago as being cured. He attended church in Cooperstown last Friday but got so unrly and wild, breaking the windows in the priest's house and striking all that came near him, that he had to be tied, and is now in jail. The man's name is Drese, he owns a good farm in Gibson, and has a wife and six children who are now again left without protection. *** Manitowoc Tribune Vol. 18 No. 1, Thursday April 20, 1871, Page 4 Column 1, under Local & Miscellaneous Sheriff Wittenberg and Deputy Heinnemann have been to Madison with the insane man, Peter Traest, whose case we mentioned last week, and who is still a raving maniac. FREDERICK DREWS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.340-341. Frederick Drews, for many years a successful farmer in the town of Mishicot, a veteran of the Civil war, and a citizen of this town who has served in various official capacities, is now living retired on a part of his old homestead on section 5, at the edge of the village of Mishicot. He was born in Holstein, Germany, August 12, 1834, and is a son of John and Anna (Rheinholdt) Drews, who spent their lives in the fatherland. Their children were: Christian, Joachim, John, Herman, Henry, Mary, Lena and Frederick. Mr. Drews’ sister, Lena, was the first of the family to come to the United States, and she was followed by Mary, and later by Frederick, who came to Two Rivers, Wisconsin, in 1855. There were no roads at that time and Frederick Drews walked to the present site of Mishicot to work in the sawmill that had been erected by Dan Smith. For twenty-five years he worked in the sawmills and lumber woods, and then located on sixty acres of land on section 5, adjoining the village of Mishicot, at that time a tract of wild timberland. Erecting a log house, sixteen by twenty feet, he started in to clear his land, and this first cabin has now been replaced by a modern residence, occupied by Nick Eller, who married Mr. Drews, daughter, Anna. Mr. Drews later added twenty acres to his land on which he is now living retired, and became one of the substantial men of his locality, serving as the first constable of the village of Mishicot, a position which he held for twenty years, and was also town treasurer three years and town assessor for a like period. He has done much toward developing this section, and can be ranked among its most public-spirited citizens. As a member of Company E, Twenty-seventh Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, Mr. Drews served from June, 1864 to October, 1865, when he was discharged on account of disability, and the injuries received during the war have incapacitated him to some extent ever since. Mr. Drews married Miss Anna Ott, a native of Germany, and they have become the parents of eight children, Henry, Richard, Rudolph, August, Otto, Josephine, Anna and Catherine, the latter of whom died in 1874. In political matters Mr. Drews is a faithful adherent of the republican party, is in full sympathy with their platforms and measures and indorses their candidates by his vote on election day. HENRY DREWS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.627. Henry Drews is a representative of both industrial and agricultural interests in the northern part of Manitowoc county. He makes his home at Cooperstown, where he follows the stone mason’s trade and at the same time he has farming interests. He was born in Mishicot township, in 1851, and is a son of Fred Drews, of whom extended mention is made on another page of this volume in connection with the sketch of Richard A. Drews, a brother of our subject. Henry Drews mastered the branches of learning taught in the public schools and then turned his attention to the brewing business, with which he was connected at Mishicot for eight years. He afterward went to Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, and for five years was in the employ of Arnold Wagner, a well known brewer of that place. He then returned to his home and afterward followed the same business in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and in other places, until 1890, when he turned his attention to the stone mason’s trade, which he now follows. He is a capable workman, energetic and diligent, and his success follows untiring effort, intelligently directed. In addition to industrial pursuits he is also engaged in farming and is making progress along both lines. Henry Drews was united in marriage to Miss Anna Miller, a native of Manitowoc and a daughter of William and Henrietta Miller, the former engaged in the coal business in the county seat. Mr. and Mrs. Drews have become parents of two interesting little sons, Harry H. and George. The family hold membership in the Lutheran church and Mr. Drews’ political faith is that of the democratic party. He keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day but has never sought nor desired office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs which, capably conducted, are bringing to him substantial success. He has been a witness to the growth and development of this county for a period of fifty-four years, although at times he has resided elsewhere, but has always while living here, taken an active part in the general advancement and upbuilding. RICHARD A. DREWS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.535-536. The consensus of public opinion numbers Richard A. Drews with the leading and prominent citizens of Cooperstown, where since 1891 he has successfully carried on business as a furniture dealer. He is also a funeral director and is engaged in the manufacture of cheese and the different branches of his business are bringing to him substantial returns. He was born in Mishicot, Manitowoc county, January 17, 1859, and as the family name indicates comes of German ancestry. His father, Fred Drews, a native of Holstein, Germany, is now living retired in this county at the age of seventy-eight years. He came to America in 1852 and settled in Mishicot, where he wedded Anna Ott, who had come to the United States at the same time as Mr. Drews. They began their domestic life upon a farm and in connection with its cultivation Mr. Drews engaged in the lumber business. He has continuously resided upon the old homestead and as the years have passed he has gathered in the harvests which have made his labors profitable. His wife is now eighty years of age and in 1906 they celebrated their golden wedding. They were reared in the Evangelical Lutheran church and have always been loyal to its teachings. In 1863 Mr. Drews enlisted for service in the Civil war and for a year was on active duty with the Twenty-first Wisconsin Regiment. In their family were eight children, of whom seven are yet living, namely: Richard A.; Henry; Josephine, who is the wife of August Stuck; Rudolph; August; Anna, the wife of N. Eller, living on the old homestead; and Otto, who for twenty-four years has successfully engaged in teaching. Richard A. Drews, spending his youthful days in his father’s home, acquired a good English education in the public schools and afterward learned the miller’s trade at Two Rivers, spending three years in that place. He then operated a grist mill on his own account for a year and at the end of that time took up carpentering at Two Rivers, where he resided until 1891, when he removed to Cooperstown. Here he established a furniture business and later added an undertaking department. He also increased his line of goods to include general merchandising and he now has a large and well equipped store, drawing trade from a wide territory. He receives a liberal patronage as a funeral director and utilizes two hearses in this work. In 1909 he began the manufacture of cheese in addition to his other activities and like the majority of citizens of this locality finds it a profitable undertaking. He displays sound business judgment and unfaltering enterprise and carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes. Mr. Drews was united in marriage to Miss Amy Kahrs, a native of Mishicot township, Manitowoc county, and a daughter of George and Regina (Miller) Kahrs. The mother is now deceased but the father, a retired farmer, is living at Two Rivers, He came from Hanover, Germany, when nineteen years of age, and settled at Manitowoc, where he engaged in milling, while later he took up the occupation of farming. His wife was a native of Prussia and was a daughter of Mathias Miller, who at a pioneer period in the history of Manitowoc county came to Wisconsin, and located on what is well known as the old Miller homestead. Mrs. Drews was one of a family of four children, the others being: George, living at Two Rivers; Mary, the wife of William Keil, of Whitelaw, Wisconsin; and Louis, whose home is in California. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Drews have been born eight children: Oscar, twenty-eight years of age, now a bookkeeper in North Dakota; Nora, twenty-six years of age, the wife of Dr. de Neveu and the mother of two children, Mildred and Elwood; Walter, twenty-four years of age; Olga, twenty-three; Roland, who is twenty-one years of age and is now in North Dakota; Elva, aged twenty; Luella, eighteen; and Iona, fifteen. The parents are members of the Lutheran church and Mr. Drews holds membership in the Modern Woodmen camp at Cooperstown, in which he is serving as clerk. His study of the political issues and questions of the day has led him to give his allegiance to the democratic party and he has been somewhat prominent in its local ranks, serving as chairman of the township board for three years, beginning in 1902, and as clerk of the school board for ten years. For the past eight years he has been township treasurer and is still the incumbent of that office. He regards public duty as a public trust and it is well known that no public trust reposed in Mr. Drews has ever been neglected in the slightest degree. He is well fitted for leadership in community affairs, being deeply interested in the welfare and progress of his town, county and state. Along legitimate lines of trade he has sought success in business and his dealings have always conformed to a high standard of commercial ethics. FRED DUECKER From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p 540 Of the firm of John Duecker & Company, hardware, stoves, etc., Kiel, was born March 17, 1854, in New Holstein, Calumet County, Wis.; there he attended school, and assisted on the farm. In about 1874 he was employed as clerk in a hardware store in New Holstein; held that position about two and a half years. In 1877 he came to Kiel, and has since been connected with this firm. AUGUST DUENO Marriage Record Vol 5. Page 60 #60 Husband August Dueno Father Fred Dueno Mother Charlotte Rubich Occupation Engineer Residence Manitowoc Birthplace Germany Wife Louise Kicker Father Heinrich Kicker Mother Karoline Toff Birthplace Germany Date of Marriage January 3, 1886 Place of Marriage City of Manitowoc Ceremony Justice of The Peace Color or Race White Witnesses Robert Boeder and Wenzel Hallada Person Performing Marriage Carl H, Paulus, Jr. Date of Certificate January 3, 1886 Date of Registration April 13, 1886 JOHN DUENO Marriage Record Vol. 5 Page 404 #95 Husband John Dueno Father Friedrich Dueno Mother Minnie Krueger Occupation Laborer Residence Manitowoc Birthplace Manitowoc Wife Mary Lestina Father Frank Lestina Mother Theresa Bauman Birthplace Neshoto, Manitowoc County Date Of Marriage April 21, 1888 Place Of Marriage Manitowoc Color Or Race White Ceremony Contracted Statutory Witnesses Ernst Dueno and Gusta Steffan Person Performing Ceremony John O'Hara, J.P. Date Of Certificate April 21, 1888 Date Of Registration May 26, 1888 F. FRIE CHRIS DUENOW note:(Chris could very well be Chas.) Marriage Record. Vol. 5. Page 176 Husband F. Frie Chris Duenow Father Friedrich Duenow Mother Wilhelmina Duenow Occupation Laborer Residence Manitowoc City Birthplace Wife Louise Friedricka Wilhelmine Steffen Father Carl Steffen Mother Auguste Steffen Birth Place Pomerania Germany Date of Marriage June 26, 1884 Place of Marriage Residence Of Carl Steffen..City Of Manitowoc Color or Race White Ceremony By Clergy Ceremonies Witnesses Wilhelmina Doerfil and Rosa Olp Name of Person Performing Marriage L.P.P. Piefer, Pastor Date of Certificate June 26, 1884 Date of Registration June 28, 1884 CHRISTINA DUERWACHTER From the Manitowoc Pilot 29 April 1875: In Probate - Manitowoc County Court In the matter of the estate of Christina Duerwachter deceased. On reading and filing the petition of Phillip Schilling Administrator of the estate of said deceased, representing among other things, that he has fully administered said estate, and praying that a time and place be fixed for examining and allowing his account of his administration, filed in this court. It is ordered that said account be examined by the Judge of this Court on Monday, the 31st day of May A.D. 1875, at 10 o'clock A.M. at my office in said county. (rest of notice consists of publishing rules) T.G. Olmsted, County Judged. MICHAEL DUGGAN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.309-310. Michael Duggan, whose well cultivated farm of one hundred and twenty-acres on sections 9 and 10, town of Maple Grove, is one of the best in Manitowoc county, was born in the town of Franklin, this county, April 14, 1876. He was the youngest of nine children born to his parents, and was sent to the public school until sixteen years old, in the meanwhile assisting his father in farm work. At that age he commenced earning his own living, being employed in various ways, and continued to work for others until 1907 when he bought his present farm. This has continued to be his home ever since, and he is proud of it, and takes pride in keeping it in good condit- ion. The seventy-five acres he has under cultivation, are highly developed, and all of the land is fenced either with barbed wire or rail. On this land he carries on general farming, raising hogs, grain, clover seed and milking ten cows of graded stock, marketing the dairy products. He specializes on Chester White hogs, and breeds to Percheron horses. The basement barn is commodious, measuring forty-two by sixty feet, and has patent stanchions. The two-story frame house is comfortable and suitable for the use of the family. Drilled wells supply water for all the needs of the farm as well as for domestic purposes. On the 7th of March, 1905, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, occurred the marriage of Mr. Duggan with Anna Haas, a daughter of Joseph and Mary (Yanda) Haas, natives of Germany and Bohemia, respectively. The parents were married in this country, and for a few years thereafter Mr. Haas worked for wages, then bought eighty acres in the Town of Franklin, to which several years later he added forty acres more. There he died, in February, 1902, when he was fifty-five years old, and he is buried at Kellnersville. His widow survives, and is making her home on the family farm. Mrs. Duggan was the third in a family of seven children born to her parents, her birth occurring in 1881. One child, Gertrude, was born on January 7, 1909, to Mr. Duggan and his wife. He is a republican in political faith. Both he and his wife are members of St. Patrick's Catholic church of Maple Grove. Understanding thoroughly the work he has in hand, Mr. Duggan is succeeding in it, and deserves praise for the industry and thrift which have enabled him to secure his own farm and stock it as he has done. THOMAS DUGGAN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.355-356. Thomas Duggan, a successful agriculturist and public-spirited citizen of the town of Franklin, who is giving his attention to the cultivation of the soil on one hundred and twenty acres on section 7, was born in the town of Franklin, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, January 11, 1872, and is a son of Jeremiah and Catherine (O'Hearn) Duggan. Mr. Duggan’s parents, who were natives of Ireland, were married in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and shortly thereafter purchased eighty acres of wild land in the town of Franklin, where they erected a log house, in which Mrs. Duggan died in 1878, at the age of forty-five years, and was buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery, where her husband also was interred, he having died at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Roland, in 1906, at the age of seventy-eight years. Thomas Duggan was the seventh born of a family of nine children, and he remained at home until his father sold the homestead in 1897. Mr. Duggan was married in 1900 to Miss Mary Mangin, daughter of Paul and Mary (Madigan) Mangin. Mrs. Duggan was the sixth of eleven children and was born May 21, 1878, and died December 6, 1907, being buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery. Three children were born to this union: Maria and Florence, at home; and Myrtle, who died in infancy. In 1909, Mr. Duggan was married to Miss Christina Veighart, who was born May 28, 1884, the fourth of the ten children of Frank and Rosa (Ronike) Veighart, natives of Bohemia, who were married in Wisconsin and settled in Manitowoc county, where the mother died in 1886, when forty-one years of age, while the father still resides on the property and is sixty-one years old. Two children were born to this union; Joseph and Arthur. Mr. Duggan settled on his present farm shortly after his first marriage, he having bought the property some time previous, and he now has seventy acres under cultivation. He does general farming, stock-raising and dairying, markets dairy products, hay and grain, milks fifteen cows and keeps Percheron horses. He has a barn thirty-four by seventy-eight feet, built some time before he took the property and remodeled by him in 1910, and another frame barn forty-two by eighty feet, built in 1904, with cement floors and patent stanchions. There is also a two-story log house, framed over, and the water supply is plentiful and secured from drilled wells. Mr. Duggan and his family are members of St. Patrick’s Catholic church. JOSEPH DUMASS (from descendant) postcard to Emma from Mrs. or M.S. ? Falge, postmarked April 7, 1909: "Dear Emma, I was very glad to hear from you. When I come south I'll come to see you. Reedsville is changing very much. Perhaps you know as much about it as I do. We are having cold, disagreeable weather but hope better soon. I have the garden started and work on mild days. Write again please. With love and warmth, Mrs. or M.S. ? Falge The front of the card is a picture of a row boat with two adults, a young man and a boy aboard. It reads as follows: In the Water Lillie on Michigan. You will recognize the boys. John is at Annapolis at the U.S. Naval Academy. #441, U.S.N.A. Mailed to Miss Emma Dumas, Foley Alabama. A.F. DUMKE From the Manitowoc Pilot, 22 April 1875: A.F. Dumke, one of the most skillful machinists in the State, is engaged at present in building two large steam engines, one for Mssrs Guttmann & Grabo, of this city, and the other for a brother who is about to start a planing mill at Kewaunee. The engine for Mssrs Guttmann & Grabo is to be a 25 horse power and is intended for their tannery which is now in process of construction. AUGUST F. DUMKE From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p 526-527 Manitowoc Iron Works, first settled in Township Newton, Manitowoc Co., 1853, and farmed five years. In 1858 he moved to Manitowoc City and worked at millwrighting and as a miller in a grist mill. In October, 1861, enlisted in Company B, 9th Reg., Wis. V. I., going as first lieutenant. In Spring, 1862, he was promoted to the captaincy of his company; he resigned in March 1863, on account of failing health; he returned home and built the machinery for a planing mill; put the same in operation and followed the business until 1865, sold out, and in Fall, 1865, began his present large works in company with John Kline. This partnership continued two years, and Messrs. Haverland and Wilharms bought the interest of Mr. Kline. Mr. Dumke continued in company five years, and then bought the entire interest, and has since operated alone. He was born in Prussia, Dec. 8, 1824. He was married in 1851 to Miss Wilhelmina Guhr; she was a native of the same country, born June 20, 1825. *************** Soldiers’ And Citizens’ Album, Biographical Record, Grand Army Of The Republic. 1888 Page 437: AUGUST F. DUMKE, Manitowoc, Wis., and a member of G.A.R. Post No. 18, was born Dec. 8, 1824, at Rostin, Prussia. He came to America in 1853 and remained in Milwaukee a few months after reaching that place, to which he came direct from New York. He went thence to Manitowoc which has been his home since. He was married in 1851 to Wilhelmina Guhr and brought his family with him to the New World. He enlisted Sept. 29, 1861, in Company B, 9th Wisconsin Infantry at Manitowoc for three years. On the organization of the company he was made its 1st Lieutenant and went to the field as such with the regiment. He was made Captain, May 13th following, on the resignation of the former line officer, Frederick Becker, whose career as a civilian and soldier appears on another page. He accompanied his command to Kansas and took part in the fight at Newtonia. Previously he was in several skirmishes and in actions to disperse Indians who had espoused the rebel side. He was once placed under arrest because some of his command had shot several sheep while on a forced march, but his request for trial by court martial was unheeded and the charge dropped. At Newtonia, where he commanded the company, the regiment was drawn into ambush and suffered severely. A rebel officer was captured and became a warm friend of Captain Dumke, the two whiling away the tedium of camp life by playing chess. Captain Dumke became partially deaf and contracted rheumatism from the exposure to which he was subjected and his health otherwise becoming so much impaired as to unfit him for active duty in the field, he tendered his resignation Nov. 27, 1862, and received honorable discharge in December. He returned to Manitowoc and as soon as recruited in health resumed connection with active business life. He is in the employ of the Richards Iron Works as accountant and draughtsman. His portrait may be found on page 432. (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) CARL FRIEDERICH DUMKE C.F. Dumke, New Holstein Miller, Dies Friday Night New Holstein - C.F. Dumke, 93, passed away here Friday at 9 p.m. following a heart attack. He had been a miller here for the past 68 years. He was born in Roadin, Germany, on October 13, 1850, the son of Mr. and Mrs. C.F. Dumke, and the family came to America in 1854 and located at Newton. His father operated a mill at Richville. In 1875 the family moved to New Holstein and in 1876 Mr. Dumke's father built a flour mill here. The following year the mill burned and a new feed and flour mill was immediately erected. Mr. Dumke's father died in 1891 and Mr. Dumke took over the business. In 1899 he formed a partnership with Hugo and August Soldas and in 1902 August Soldas returned to Germany and in 1894 Hugo Soldas moved to Milwaukee and the partnership was dissolved. In 1896 he entered into partnership with Louis Weber and that partnership was dissolved about 10 years ago. Last summer Mr. Dumke sold the mill to Edgar Depies. Mr. Dumke was married to Bertha Lindow of Franklin on June 30, 1876, and she passed away December 4, 1920. Also preceding him in death was a son, Edwin, who died in infancy. Survivors are three daughters, Mrs. Richard Marken of Kenosha, Miss Emma Dumke of Hibbing, Minn., and Mrs. H.H. Lauson of New Holstein; four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren; a brother, Emil Dumke, Sr., of New Holstein; two sisters, Mrs. Emma Meilke of New Holstein and Mrs. Edward Puchner of Lewiston, Idaho. Funeral services will be held Monday at 2 p.m. at the Erbe-Hoffmann funeral home here, with the Rev. A.G. Schmid of St. John's Evangelical and Reformed church officiating. Burial will be made in the New Holstein city cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home beginning this evening. (1944 handwritten on the obituary, no newspaper cited.) Photo (Note from researcher: the partnership was with Hugo and August Soldan) W.O. DUMKE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.123-124. W.O. Dumke, who is engaged in the photography business in Manitowoc, is a native of this country, born in Newton township October 21, 1856. His parents were Frank and Louise (Stater) Dumke, both of whom were natives of Prussia, Germany, and in their family W.O. Dumke was sixth in order of birth. The father was a miller by trade and on coming to Manitowoc county in 1855, he settled on a farm in Newton township. He came to this country with three of his brothers, one of whom also located on a farm in this township. One engaged in sawing logs and the other, the youngest, started a foundry in the city of Manitowoc. The father resided on his farm until 1881, when he retired from active life and moved to this city, where he passed away in 1897. His wife died several years later. W.O. Dumke was educated in the public schools of this county and in the high school at Milwaukee. He afterward remained on his father's farm for four years and then took up the profession of school teaching, which he followed in Newton and Centerville townships for about three or four years. He then started in the photography business in Clark county and in 1901 came to this city and engaged in the same business, having since resided here. He is the oldest photographer in the city of Manitowoc and now has an extensive and most successful business. Mr. Dumke resides with his sister, who has ever kept a home for him, he and she being the only members of the family that are now living in this county. His youngest sister died leaving five children, who have also resided with him and his sister until quite recently, all being now grown except the youngest, who yet makes her home there. In his political views Mr. Dumke is a democrat, having always supported the men and measures of this party. He is progressive and energetic and has won the regard and admiration of the best residents of this city, and the increase of his business from year to year has brought him a gratifying competence. ERNST DUNOW Marriage Record Vol 5. Page 403 #87 Husband Ernst Dunow Father Friedrich Dunow Mother Wilhelmine Dunow Occupation Laborer Residence Manitowoc County Birthplace Manitowoc County Wife Auguste C. E. Steffan Father Carl Steffan Mother Auguste Steffan Birthplace Germany Date Of Marriage May 12, 1888 Place Of Marriage Manitowoc Color Or Race White Ceremony Contracted Clergy Witnesses Wilhelm Steffan and Emma Klander Person Performing Ceremony L.R.P. Piefer, A. B. Date Of Certificate May 14, 1888 Date Of Registration May 23, 1888 WILFRED DUPREE From the Two Rivers Reporter, Saturday, November 21, 1914: STUNTS OF A SLEEPWALKER Two Rivers has a somnambulist capable of performing more hazardous stunts in his sleep than he would dare to undertake when awake. Thursday night Ed. Brault who keeps roomers on 16th st. was awakened by a noise shortly after midnight. He arose opened a window and looked out. He was just in time to see a person leap from the second story window in a night shirt. The person alighted apparently safe and walked hurriedly up town. Brault dressed and followed the man and caught up with him at the Bank of Two Rivers, three and one half blocks distant. He found it was his roomer Wilfred Dupree. Brault accosted the latter by name, enquiring the reason for the strange performance. Dupree seemed dazed and greatly surprised and at first did not comprehend where he was. The fact was that, notwithstanding his severe exercise and exposure in the cold, night air, he was still asleep when accosted. Dupree then explained that he had dreamed the house was on fire and not being able to open the window in his own room he had gone into another room in the house and jumped out. He did not know where he was going. Possibly he intended running down to the lake. The man sustained no other injuries from his high jump thru the window than biting his lip slightly, although the shock forced him to remain in bed the next day. MRS. JOHN DUSING From the Manitowoc County Chronicle December 1, 1906, Mishicot Column Mrs. John Dusing and children of Cooperstown are visiting with Mr. and Mrs. J. Brandenburg this week. HERMAN AUGUST DUWE
Herman (Hans) Duwe and Emily (Krajnik) Duwe, February 07, 1927