[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
ERNST SCHUETT This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.271-272. Ernst Schuett, who is counted among the prosperous farmers in the vicinity of Newton, is a son of Frederick and Mary (Kort) Schuett, who came from Germany to this country, arriving in New York on January 1, 1869. They proceeded direct to Manitowoc county, reaching there January 8, and settled in Newton where the father was employed for seven years as a farm hand, receiving only fifty cents per day for his labor, which meager wage had to support his family. He finally became owner of twenty acres of land where he erected a log house and barn, and rented some adjoining land which he also farmed. He remained on this tract of twenty acres for thirteen years, when he retired from active work, and made his home for the remainder of his days with his son Ernst of this review. The father passed away in 1902 and the mother in 1908. In their family were seven children: Frederick, who, being in the German army at the time his parents came to America, did not come to this country until the following year; John; William; Ernst; Henrica; Helen; and Minnie, all of whom came to this country with their parents. Ernst Schuett, being eight years of age when he was brought to America, had attended school for a short time in Germany, and after arriving in Manitowoc county, finished his education in the public schools of Newton. He remained with his father working for him on the farm until he was twenty-seven years of age, when he purchased the tract of land on which he now lives. He has greatly improved and developed this farm and there engages extensively in general farming and in dairying. In 1891, Mr. Schuett wedded Miss Minnie Waak, who was born in Newton, and was the daughter of Christian Waak. To Mr. and Mrs. Schuett have been born eight children, four of whom are now deceased. They were Frederick, Norma, Minnie and Walter. Those who are living are Helena, Arthur, Waldima and Elsie. Both Mr. and Mrs. Schuett are earnest and zealous members of the Lutheran church, and stand high in the regard of all throughout the vicinity. Mr. Schuett has always been deeply interested in the material, intellectual and moral progress of the community, in which he has so long made his home. He is active and industrious in his dairying business, and is very enterprising as a farmer, systematizing his work and carrying on the labors of the fields in harmony with the advanced ideas of modern agriculture. HERMAN C. SCHUETTE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.543-544. Herman C. Schuette, president of the Schuette Construction Company which carries on operations all over the state of Wisconsin, is one of the well known men in business circles of Manitowoc, where he has been located during the past seventeen years. Mr. Schuette was born in Manitowoc county, September 21, 1874, and is a son of August and Louisa (Fricke) Schuette, the latter a daughter of August Fricke, and the former a native of Germany who came to the United States and settled on wild land in Kossuth township about 1855. He cleared a farm, became a well known agriculturist, and died on his property, June 19, 1901, his widow surviving him until the year following. They were the parents of six children, all of whom are living, Herman C. being the youngest. Herman C. Schuette was reared on the home farm and educated in the district schools near his father’s place, but as a young man decided that he could better himself in other lines than farming, and in 1894 came to Manitowoc and opened a livery barn, which he continued to operate until disposing of it in 1910. In the meantime, in 1904, he had founded the Schuette Construction Company, with himself as president, John Bonsen as vice president and Henry Murphy as secretary and treasurer, and this firm now does business all over the state, engaging principally in cement construction work. From a modest beginning the business has grown to large proportions, principally through the enterprise and progressive spirit of the partners, who are young men of much ability and industry. Herman C. Schuette was married, November 19, 1895, to Miss Minnie Massmann, of Manitowoc county, and they are the parents of two sons and two daughters. while one child is deceased. Mr. Schuette holds membership in the Elks and the Royal League, and is popular with the members of both organizations. HON. J. SCHUETTE From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 532 Hon. J. Schuette, firm of Jno. Schuette & Brothers, general merchandise, Manitowoc, is a native of Oldenberg, Germany. Came in 1848, with his parents to Ozaukee County. The following year, they removed to Manitowoc. His father then opened a general store, which he continued till 1857, when the firm changed to J. Schuette & Sons. In 1870, the firm changed to J. Schuette & Bros. They are also proprietors of the Oriental flouring mill, which was established in 1867, together with a plaster mill and stave factory. This firm has been the most successful of any in the county. Commencing with a business of about $6,000 a year, they are now doing a business of about half a million a year. Mr. Schuette has been the recipient of many important offices. In 1866, he was appointed by the Legislature Harbor Commissioner; in 1874, he was elected State Senator; served two years; he was elected Mayor for the city of Manitowoc, on the Republican ticket, in the year 1878; re-elected in 1879, 1880 and 1881, which position he now holds, and has held many other important offices. JOHN SCHUETTE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.506-507. John Schuette, president of the Manitowoc Savings Bank and of the Manitowoc Electric Light Company, and one of the very prominent men of the city of Manitowoc, has been closely identified with its business interests for a long period of years, and has served his community in various high public offices. He is a native of Oldenburg, Germany, and was born September 25, 1837, a son of John and Katherine (Schade) Schuette, who came from that country to the United States in 1848, the father opening a grocery store during the following year and operating it until his death. There were seven children in the family of John and Katherine Schuette, namely: Gesine, who is the widow of Gus Bloquelle, residing in Manitowoc; Henry, deceased, who was a partner with John in the grocery business; John; Martha, the widow of Eugene Alter; and Fred, August and George, merchants of Manitowoc. After the death of their father, John and Henry Schuette took over the grocery business, but in 1884 John Schuette sold his interest to his younger brothers to organize the Manitowoc Savings Bank, buying the building on the corner of Eighth and Jay streets, the building having been erected in 1857 and formerly used as a bank. The institution was organized under the state laws with a capitalization of fifty thousand dollars, the first officers being John Schuette, president; C. E. Esterbrook, vice president; Joseph Staehle, cashier. The present officers are: John Schuette, president; Louis Schuette, vice president; Ed Schuette, cashier; Henry Detzen, assistant cashier. In 1868 Mr. Schuette built the second flour mill in Manitowoc, and this he is still conducting, its output being two hundred barrels daily, and during that year and the year previous he had the government contract for the building of the harbor at Manitowoc. In 1889 he organized the electric light company, of which he is still president, Ed Schuette being secretary and treasurer. He has various other business interests and is a stockholder in the Eastern Wisconsin Trustee Company. He has served as alderman, and for five terms was elected to the office of mayor of Manitowoc, and during 1875 and 1876 was a member of the state senate. He is a member of the National and State Bankers Associations, and is widely known in financial circles of the state. In 1867 Mr. Schuette was united in marriage with Rosa Stauss, who came to Manitowoc with her parents in 1855, and she died in 1904, having been the mother of five children; Louis and Edwin, associated with their father in the banking business; Gesine, who resides at home with her parents; Lillie, who married Dr. Walker, of Menominee, Michigan; and Rosa, the wife of Dr. Babcock, of Milwaukee. Mr. Schuette's career has been a long and varied one, but in every walk of life he has proven himself a man of the strictest integrity and highest ability. He has the confidence and esteem of his fellow townsmen in a degree that can only be won by a life of the most extreme probity, while his personal traits of character have won him a wide circle of warm personal friends. LOUIS SCHUETTE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.492-493. Louis Schuette, vice president of the Manitowoc Savings Bank and well known in financial circles of Manitowoc county, is a member of one of the old and honored families of this section. His grandparents, John and Katherine (Schade) Schuette, natives of Oldenburg, Germany, came to the United States in 1848 and settled in Manitowoc, where John Schuette carried on a grocery business until his death. He and his wife had seven children: Gesine, the widow of Gus Bloquelle, a resident of Manitowoc; Henry, deceased, who was engaged in the grocery business; John, the father of Louis; Martha, the widow of Eugene Alter; and Fred, August and George, merchants of Manitowoc. John Schuette, father of Louis, was born September 25, 1837, in Oldenburg, Germany, and after the death of his father formed a partnership with his brother, Henry, and engaged in the grocery business. He sold his interests, however, in 1884, and organized the Manitowoc Savings Bank. The building at the corner of Eighth and Jay streets, which had formerly been used for the same purpose, was purchased and the bank established under the state laws, the capital being fifty thousand dollars, and the first officers being as follows: John Schuette, president; C. E. Esterbrook, vice president; Joseph Staehle, cashier. At the present time the officials are: John Schuette, president; Louis Schuette, vice president; Ed Schuette, cashier; Henry Detzen, assistant cashier. John Schuette was also the owner of the second flour mill in Manitowoc, which he still operates; had the government contract in 1867 and 1868 for the building of the harbor at this point; is a stockholder in the Eastern Wisconsin Trustee Company; and president of the Manitowoc Electric Light Company. He has served as alderman and mayor of Manitowoc, and in 1875 and 1876 was sent by his fellow townsmen to the state senate. He married Rosa Stauss, and they had five children: Louis and Edwin, associated with their father in business; Gesine, residing at home with her parents; Lillie, who married Dr. Walker, of Menominee, Michigan; and Rosa, who married Dr. Babcock, of Milwaukee. The reputation of the Manitowoc Savings Bank is of the best, and all of its officials are men of known integrity. WILLIAM F. SCHUETTE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.249-250. William F. Schuette, who is engaged in general farming and stock-breeding, and also specializes in dairy farming, has resided on his present property on section 26, town of Kossuth, for eighteen years, and was born in this town, in the old Schuette homestead, May 12, 1869. His parents, August and Louisa (Fricke) Schuette, natives of Germany, were married in the fatherland, and two weeks thereafter started for the United States on a sailing vessel which took twenty-four weeks to make the journey. They located in Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, in 1855, the father securing employment at farm work for twelve and one-half cents per day, while his wife did sewing to pay their board. During the winter months, he threshed with a flail, and for this received every tenth bushel. In this way he saved two hundred dollars with which he purchased a forty—acre tract of wild land in Kossuth, where his son, Otto, now lives. Clearing the place from its timber, the father erected a log cabin and stable, later adding forty acres more. Eventually he purchased ninety—nine acres of the land on which William F. Schuette now resides, and here he died in 1905, at the age of sixty—seven years, his wife passing away in 1906, when she was sixty-five years old. He was a stanch republican, but never aspired to public office. He took a great interest in the Lutheran church, of which he was the treasurer for twenty-three years. When the church of Kossuth was being built, he assisted in the work by carrying lumber upon his back. A hard working, Christian man, he was respected by all with whom he came in contact, and at his death the town of Kossuth lost one of its most valued citizens. He was the father of six children: August, a farmer of Unity, Wisconsin; Otto, living in Kossuth township; Lizzie, the wife of William Fehring, of the town of Kossuth; Henry, farming in Unity; William F., and Herman, residing in Manitowoc. William F. Schuette secured only a limited education as a boy, but close observation and much reading have made him a very well informed man. He lived at home until he was twenty-four years of age, and on April 20, 1894, was married to Mary Reis, of Kossuth, daughter of Peter and Minnie (Stralo) Reis, natives of Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Reis came to the United States in 1860, settling first in Saxonburg, Wisconsin, where Mr. Reis worked in a tannery. Later he purchased wild land in the town of Kossuth, and there his wife died in 1885, while Mr. Reis now makes his home with his son-in-law, Mr. Schuette. He and his wife had eight children: Sophia, who resides at Antigo, Wisconsin; Kate, of Ironwood, Michigan; Joe, living in Athens, Wisconsin; Mary, Mrs. Schuette; Ferdinand, on the old homestead; August, deceased; Albert, of Antigo, Wisconsin; and John, who is deceased. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Schuette, namely: Mary, Ora, Darwin, Raymond, Helen, Lucinda and Kermit, of whom Raymond and Helen are deceased. Mr. Schuette located on his present farm in 1893, and in 1910 replaced the original log house with a beautiful two-story, twelve-room modern residence, with hot water heat, carbon lights and two bathrooms. He has made many other improvements on the place, and has one of the finest farms in the town. He raises draft horses, and keeps on an average twenty head of stock. During the past seven years he has conducted a private creamery which averages seventy pounds of butter per week, the product being disposed of in Manitowoc. He is an active republican and has served as a member of the school board for twelve years, and he also takes a great deal of interest in church work, having been treasurer of the Lutheran church for eleven years and trustee for six years. CHARLES F. SCHUETZE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.484-486. Charles F. Schuetze, one of the organizers of the Manitowoc Church & School Supply Company, of which he is the sole proprietor, is a worth representative of the industrial interests of Manitowoc. He was born at Two Rivers, Wisconsin, on the 28th of January, 1875, and is a son of William and Louise Schuetze, natives of Germany whence they emigrated to the United States in their early years. They resided in Two Rivers until 1879 when they came to Manitowoc, and here they have ever since made their home, the father now being connected with the business of his son, Charles F. The education of Charles F. Schuetze was acquired in the parochial schools of Manitowoc, which he continued to attend until he had attained the age of fourteen years, when he became a wage earner. On starting out in the world to make his own way he first worked as a farm hand, continuing to follow this occupation for several years. He was an ambitious youth, however, and aspired to achieve a higher position, and believing that better opportunities and advantages were afforded in commercial pursuits he left the farm and returned to Manitowoc. Subsequently he became office boy for the Manitowoc Manufacturing Company, and as he proved to be an efficient and painstaking employe, he was advanced from time to time in accordance with the development he manifested. He continued in the employ of this company until their plant was destroyed by fire and then obtained a position with their successors, The Manitowoc Seating Company, which factory was chartered by the American Seating Company. As he had concentrated his entire attention upon acquiring a thorough knowledge of the business and had always proven entirely trustworthy and reliable in every respect, his employers continued to promote him. Recognizing in him good powers of salesmanship, they later placed him on the road in the capacity of traveling salesman, where he evidenced the same efficiency and capability he had manifested in the discharge of his previous duties. He was subsequently taken off of the road and made office manager, creditably filling this responsible position during the remainder of his connection with the company. It had always been his ambition to have an establishment of his own, and feeling assured that he had the practical knowledge and executive ability to organize and develop such an industry, in 1896 he resigned his position to engage in business for himself. He started the operation of an independent church furniture factory himself by employing three men. This start was made in a barn on Washington street belonging to his parents. Power for said business was secured through the local traction company, whose tracks went by the place. The powers that Mr. Schuetze had manifested as an employe he was able to successfully exercise on his own behalf, and as a result his enterprise thrived from its incipiency. Its development was not remarkable in any way, but was characterized by the uniform, orderly progression that manifests stability and permanency and invariably inspires public confidence in the men who are directing it. As the firm gained recognition it was necessary for them to obtain larger quarters and they removed to the spacious building they are now occupying. This is a substantial, modern structure, located on Twenty—sixth street, and is well equipped with all necessary machinery and appliances needful in the manufacture of their products. During the six years of its existence the firm has become quite widely known in the middle west and they are being favored with a very good patronage, and it now requires the services of forty men to fill their orders. It was Mr. Schuetze’s desire to gain entire control of the factory, which he succeeded in doing, and he is now sole proprietor of the concern. Could he have foreseen at the start the trials and discouragements he was to encounter in his new undertaking, the seemingly impossible to be overcome, doubtlessly he would not have had the fortitude to have undertaken it, but the struggling days are now passed and his factory is well established and prospering. During the first years he met with the obstacles and set backs every man has to combat with who is striving to develop an enterprise on limited capital against strong competition, but he possesses the firm determination and resourcefulness that enabled him to weather all storms, and now he finds his greatest satisfaction in the thought that his achievement has been self-won. In Manitowoc in August, 1900, Mr. Schuetze was united in marriage to Miss Ruby May Melendy, a daughter of A. B. Melendy one of the pioneer and for many years leading photographers of the city. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Schuetze numbers four, as follows: Ellsworth, Edith and Russell, all of whom are attending school; and Rueben, the baby of the family, who has passed the third anniversary of his birth. They reside at 1214 South Thirteenth street, where Mr. Schuetze purchased a dwelling that he has remodeled, making it a very comfortable and pleasant residence. Fraternally he is a Mason, being affiliated with both the blue lodge and the chapter, and in 1908 he was master of the former. He was again elected master during the year 1912. For eight years he has served efficiently as a member of the school board. Mr. Schuetze is a man of sound integrity and upright principles, who is deserving of much commendation for his success, as it has been won through his own efforts. He began his commercial career without any capital save his own energy and ambition, nor has he ever been favored by any advantages other than those accorded all business men of recognized worth and responsibility. CATHERINE SCHULER Marshfield News Herald - Oct. 31, 1951 Mrs. Schuler, 79, Dies Tuesday Funeral Services to be Held on Friday Mrs. George Schuler, 79, died at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at the home of her son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Schuler with whom she had made her home. Death was attributed to a heart attack. Funeral services will be held at 9 a.m. Friday in St. John's Catholic Church. The Rev. Hugh J. Deeny will officate and burial will be in Hillside Cemetery. The body will repose at the Rembs Funeral Home from this evening to the time of service. The Altar Society and the Missionary will meet at the funeral home at 3 p.m. Thursday to hold a rosary service and that evening at 8 p.m. the general rosary is scheduled. Mrs. Schuler was a member of the Altar Society. Mrs. Schuler, nee Catherine Aigner, was born Feb. 10, 1872 in Frankenberg, Austria, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Aigner. She came to the U.S. with her parents at the age of eight, settling in Kiel. Her marriage to George Schuler took place there in 1888. Before coming to Marshfield in 1916, they lived in Sheboygan for a few years. Mr. Schuler died in 1926. Mrs. Schuler is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Mike (Stella) Berg and Mrs. F. X.(Lydia) Schneider, Marshfield; Mrs. F. F. (Hilda) Fuller, Green Bay; and Mrs. Kurt (Evangeline) Bentz, Milwaukee; a son Ray, Marshfield, 18 grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren, a brother Frank Aigner, Marshfield; and a sister, Mrs. Anna Noll, Madison. A son, four brothers and a sister also preceded her in death. FRED SCHULTZ From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 532 Tannery and leather store, Manitowoc, was born May 5, 1830 in Germany, emigrated to America in 1852, locating in Manitowoc. He secured employment as foreman with L. Sherman, where he remained till 1856; he then opened a boot and shoe store, which he continued till 1861. He then built his tannery, which he has since operated. He has been School Treasurer of District No. 2 six years, Town Treasurer in 1859-60, and four years City Treasurer and other offices. He was married, in 1856, to Matilda Bruns of Hanover; had six children, four daughters and two sons. JOACHIM SCHULTZ This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.456-457. Joachim Schultz, one of the well known agriculturists of Liberty township, where he has resided for over sixty years, is one of the pioneer settlers of Manitowoc county. He was born in Germany on December 21, 1840, and is a son of John and Mary Schultz, natives of the fatherland, whence they emigrated in 1850 with their four eldest children to the United States. They arrived in New York just seven weeks and five days after sailing from the German port and came directly to Wiscousin. Upon their arrival in this state they located in this county and very soon thereafter purchased the farm now owned and operated by our subject. Pioneer conditions yet prevailed throughout this section and their land was covered with a dense growth of timber as was that in all the vicinity about them. There were but few settlers and they lived at some distance from each other and as the only roads were blazed trails very little visiting was done. Those first years were fraught with hardships and privations for the entire family, such as life in a strange land with but limited means under such conditions necessarily entails. Mr. Schultz erected a log cabin on his place that served as a residence for him and his family for several years, and then with the aid of his sons began clearing and placing his land under cultivation. Although their mode of living was crude, as it was in all pioneer households, they lived comfortably, their garden providing them with all vegetables while the woods abounded with all kinds of game, and thus they had a large variety of fresh meat. The father engaged in the operation of his farm during the remainder of his active life, passing away in 1892, just twenty—one days prior to the celebration of the one hundredth anniversary of his birth. He had excellent health and was in very good spirits up to the time of his death. The mother survived him for about a year, her death occurring in 1893, at the age of seventy-nine years. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Schultz numbered six, of whom our subject is the eldest. In order of birth the others are as follows: Frederick, Theodore and Henry, who were born in the old country and Ernest and Sophia who were born on the old homestead in this township. The father was a wagon maker by trade but he never followed this occupation after coming to America, having given his entire time and attention to his agricultural pursuits. The early years of Joachim Schultz were distinguished by few of the joys and little of the freedom that are the inalienable right of every child. He was only a lad of ten years when the family located on the farm, but upon him devolved the most of the work connected with the clearing of the land. He began his education in his native land before coming to America, but it was five years after they located here before he was afforded another opportunity of attending schools. Owing to the remoteness of the settlers and the wild state of the country, but little provision had been made to educate the children living in the country. When he was fifteen years of age a school was opened which was near enough for him to attend, and when he could be spared from home he went, thus acquiring some knowledge of the elements of English learning. In 1869 he purchased the farm from his father, and industriously applied himself to its further improvement and cultivation until 1907, when he in turn sold it to his two sons. During the long period of his ownership, Mr. Schultz wrought many and extensive improvements in the property, including the erection of the present residence in 1878 and a fine large barn. He always took great pride in his place, keeping the buildings in good repair, while his fields were substantially fenced and under high cultivation. As his circumstances warranted from time to time he added to his equipment and installed many modern conveniences and comforts in keeping with the spirit of progress he manifested at all times. His fields were always cultivated under his personal supervision and annually yielded abundant harvests that amply rewarded him for his hard labor. In connection with general farming he also raised stock and this likewise brought him lucrative returns. Although he continues to live on his farm, he has retired from the active work of the fields and is now enjoying the ease and comfort denied him in his youth. In 1869, Mr. Schultz was united in marriage to Miss Othelia Krueger, who was born in Germany, where her father passed away after which she and her mother, Mrs. Minnie Krueger, emigrated to the United States. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Schultz: Carl, Ida, Ernst and Louis, all of whom are living. In matters of faith the family are Lutherans and hold membership in the German church of that denomination in Liberty township. Although he is public spirited and progressive in matters or citizenship, Mr. Schultz never had either the time or inclination to seek political honors or the emoluments of office, but he always goes to the polls on election day and casts his ballot. He is one of the self—made men of Liberty township, who deserves much credit for his achievements, as he has attained his present position through much self—denial and long years of indefatigable labor. HENRY A. SCHULZ This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.423-424. Henry A. Schulz, a farmer who has met with more than usual success in his work, owns one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 16, town of Rockland. He was born in Brazil, South America, January 6, 1877, a son of William and Augusta Schulz, natives of Germany. They were married in the fatherland and moved to Brazil, where their son, Henry A., was born. On their return journey from South America, in 1880, both parents died of yellow fever. The eldest and the youngest of their four children were with them on the ship, yet did not catch the dread disease. An uncle, Gottfried Fisher, took Henry A., while another uncle took the elder brother, William, and brought him up in the state of Washington, where he still resides. Henry A. Schulz was brought to Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, and here reared, remaining with his uncle until he was twenty—six years old, when he married. Following this event, he settled on the farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Rockland, which he now owns, all of which is fenced with barbed wire. One hundred and twenty acres are under cultivation, and the remainder is used for grazing purposes. He has thirty-six sheep of Shropshire strain, milks fifteen cows of graded stock, breeds to Percheron horses and keeps fifteen colonies of bees. His land annually produces fine crops of grain and clover seed. The basement barn, forty feet by seventy-two feet, was built before Mr. Schulz bought the farm, but in 1909 he put in cement doors and patent stanchions. His two-story frame residence was also built by a former owner. On November 12, 1903, Mr. Schulz married Clara Haelfrisch, a daughter of Taylor and Alvina (Haese) Haelfrisch, natives of Wisconsin, but of German parentage. Mr. and Mrs. Haelfrisch were married in the town of Rockland, and located upon a farm of one hundred and sixteen acres in the town of Cato, where they are living today, the mother being fifty-three years old and the father about the same age. Mrs. Schulz was the eldest of the eleven children born to her parents, her birth occurring October 3, 1881. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Schulz. Cina aud Lillian. Active in the republican party, Mr. Schulz has been elected by it to serve as superintendent of roads, and is now holding that office. He and his family belong to the Evangelical Association of Reedsville. While he has already made some excellent improvements, and has a good farm, Mr. Schulz is planning a number of new features, for he is ambitious, and anxious to have his land produce as much as possible.
Henry SchumannThis is part of a large photo of men who belonged to the B.& M.I.U. No. 12 of Manitowoc. It can be found at the I-43 Antique Mall at Manitowoc B & M I U = Bricklayers and Masons’ International Union of America B&MIU was a successor to the Bricklayers International Union of the United States of North America, founded in 1865. In 1910 the B&MIU became interested in organizing plasterers and the union’s title then became the Bricklayers, Mason, and Plasterers’ International Union of America. HUGO SCHURRER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.353-354. Hugo Schurrer, who conducts a hotel with bar attached in Centerville township, Manitowoc county, has been in his present location for twelve years. He is well and favorably known in the county and has held the office of constable and deputy sheriff under officers Eckert and Willinger. He was born in Stuttgart, Wurttemberg, Germany, May 17, 1867, a son of Antone and Caroline (Ramboldt) Schurrer, both natives of the fatherland. They spent their entire lives in that country. The son received a high-school education in Germany and after leaving school obtained a position in a bank, a vocation which he followed until he emigrated to America in 1885. On coming to the new world he settled at St. Wendel and later in Cleveland. He began life in America as a farm hand and later worked in a lumberyard, afterward securing employment in a grain elevator. He also for a time worked as a section man on the railroad and for six years conducted a saloon at Cleveland. Then, in 1900, he came to his present location where he commenced business by conducting a hotel and saloon, being still thus employed. He has held the offices of constable and deputy sheriff of Manitowoc county. Mr. Schurrer was married in 1895 to Miss Mary Kohn, a daughter of Martin Kohn, a farmer of Manitowoc county and a veteran of the Civil war. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Schurrer one child has been born, Theodore, who is yet at home. The wife and mother died in 1898 and on January 12, 1899, Mr. Schurrer was again married, his second union being with Barbara Diener, whose family are residents of Austria. She emigrated to America in 1894, being accompanied by a brother, and they settled at Clarks Mills, in Manitowoc county. Unto Mr. Schurrer’s second marriage four children have been born, Edwin, Elsie, Anna and Arthur. Mr. Schurrer and his family are well known residents of Manitowoc county where he has so successfully conducted business for many years. He stands well in the community and is regarded as a most estimable citizen. HARMON SCHUSSER From the Manitowoc Pilot, July 20, 1871: Fatal Accident - A boy named Harmon Schusser, aged about 12 years, while engaged in running a lath machine in a saw mill at Neshoto, last Saturday afternoon, was struck in the abdomen by a piece of lath, producing internal injuries from the ___ of which he died on the following day. SCHWANTES This is a ship's list from the ship Rudolph, Captain's name K.I. Dieckmann and port of entry New York, June 23, 1856. It sailed from Hamburg. The last name is spelled Schwantesih, but I've been assured by my volunteer Sue that this is the same family that is in Two Rivers Pioneer Rest Cemetery called Schwantes in [3-95] Frdih. Schwantesih....54....male....farmer....Meiklenbg (Mecklenburg) Frdke " ....45....female............ " Carl " ....27....male.............. " August " ....20....male.............. " Frdke " ....18....female............ " Emilie " ....17....female............ " Wilhelm " ....14....male.............. " Sophia " ....12....female............ " Ferdinand " .... 7....male.............. " Ida " .... 4....female............ " ERNST SCHWANTES This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.247. When father is succeeded by son in any enterprise, the latter is apt to display the same sterling characteristics in handling the business that made the former successful, and rarely is an exception to be found to this rule in the agricultural communities. Ernst Schwantes, who is successfully cultivating the farm first settled by his father, on section 33, Two Rivers township, is one of the progressive and enterprising young agriculturists of Manitowoc county, where he was born September 26, 1881, on the farm he now owns. He received his education in the district schools of Two Rivers, and was reared on the old homestead, being brought up to the life of a farmer, which has been his vocation ever since attaining his majority. He cultivates his land along scientific lines, getting the best results from his labors, and in addition to carrying on general farming, he raises a fine grade of cattle, Poland China hogs and Percheron horses. In 1909 Mr. Schwantes was united in marriage to Miss Rosa Krause, a daughter of August Krause, one of the early pioneer settlers of Kossuth township, Manitowoc county, and to this union there has been born one child: Ernst, Jr., who was born April 1, 1911. Mr. Schwantes takes an active interest in local politics, and has served for some time as director of school district No. 5. CARL SCHWEITZER GEORGE SCHWOERER (SCHWORER)
The marriage of Carl Schweitzer (1842-1932) to
his third wife, Anna Bettele Stahl (1848-1941)
GERALD N. SCOVE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.509-510. G. N. Scove, who is an engineer of the hull department of the Manitowoc Dry Dock Company, was born in Manitowoc, May 5, 1879, and is a son of Hans and Lena (Burger) Scove. The father came to Manitowoc about 1860 and engaged in the shipbuilding business, he being one of the pioneer shipbuilders of Manitowoc. He was a member of the firm of Hansen & Scove, who built many of the early schooners and steamers and were instrumental in developing the shipbuilding industry of Manitowoc and Two Rivers. During the Civil war Mr. Scove assisted in building the fleet which was sent down the Mississippi river and took part in the capture of Vicksburg. Mr. Scove’s death occurred in 1888 when he was fifty-two years of age. His wife passed away in 1881 when she was thirty-five years of age. She is buried at Two Rivers cemetery. The father is interred at Evergreen cemetery. G. N. Scove acquired his early education in the public schools and high schools of Manitowoc, and at the age of seventeen left the high school. He immediately accepted employment with the Northern Grain Company as assistant superintendent and remained with them for seven years. He was afterward traveling salesman for the Northern Grain Company and also for the Manufacturers Appraisal Company of New York. After he had been thus employed for two years he accepted a position with the Manitowoc Dry Dock Company and is now chief draftsman of the concern. He acquired his knowledge of drafting during the time he was traveling for the two concerns. He early learned the fact that in self-development lies strength, and he tested his own powers by actual work, doing faithfully and efficiently every task which was assigned to him or which seemed to him a stepping stone in the path of progression, thus working his way upward to larger responsibilities and more important duties. His advancement has resulted through the development of his talents and powers, and the position of distinction and trust which he holds today is the logical outcome of his own efforts. In Manitowoc, on the 5th of July, 1906, Mr. Scove was married to Miss Irma Schuette, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. August Schuette, the former of the firm of Schuette Brothers. Mr. Scove is a progressive republican and holds membership in the blue lodge of the Masons. He is also a member of the Country Club. Those who meet him in social relations respond readily to his genial and cordial manner, and thus his circle of friends is constantly enlarging. HANS M. SCOVE From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, pp. 532-533 Firm of Hansen & Scove, ship builders, Manitowoc, is a native of Denmark, born Feb. 15, 1837. Having reached the age of manhood, and being anxious to improve his circumstances, he emigrated to America; worked a short time on Long Island, and then removed to Manitowoc. Mr. Scove has, however, traveled through many of the Southern States, engaged in business of ship building. During one of these trips, he assisted in building Porter's squadron. In 1868 he became a member of the firm Hansen & Scove. From 1876 to 1880, he was captain of the Life-saving Station at Two Rivers. Resigning this position, he engaged in rebuilding the United States revenue cutter, "Andy Johnson."
Gregor Schwoerer and Katherine Fessler family from late 1893. Anton Schwoerer is tall person in center of back row. The baby in Katherine’s arms is Theodore Schwoerer, born Sept. 17, 1893.
Back row; L to R – Peter, Joseph, George, Anton, Katherine, Frederick, Ulrich and Otto Front row; L to R – Frank, Gregor (father), Theodore, Katherine Fessler (mother) and John Note: Both Gregor Schwoerer and Katherine Fessler are among the first people of St. Nazianz -- arriving there in the 1850's as children.