[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
BERNARD RHODE Soldiers’ And Citizens’ Album, Biographical Record, Grand Army Of The Republic, 1888 Page 395: BERNARD RHODE, Manitowoc, Wis., member of G.A. R. Post No. 18, was born November 20, 1841, in Germany. His parents came with their family to America in 1854, and passed a year respectively in Chicago and Milwaukee. In 1855 they went to Two Rivers, Wis., where the son remained until 1863, and when he was of age he went to Menominee, Wis., and entered the employ of a lumber firm with which he remained until he enlisted. He enrolled August 31, 1864, in Company D, 16th Wisconsin Infantry at Menominee for one year. He enlisted as a recruit and joined the regiment at Atlanta. His first service was in the pursuit of Hood whom he helped to drive through Georgia into central Alabama. He was in the movement to destroy the railroad from Tunnel Hill to Alabama and was afterwards in the destruction of Atlanta and went thence on the Savannah campaign, marching through Georgia and the Carolinas. He was in the actions at Macon, Savannah, Beaufort, Columbia, Orangeburg, and Averysboro and went North after the surrender, to Washington where he was discharged after the Review and returned home. November 16, 1864, he was made Sergeant. He had received a promise to be made 1st Lieutenant, when he enlisted, but it was never fulfilled and he served in the ranks until the end of the war. At Orangeburg the men of his command forded a creek in the dead of winter and formed in the line of battle while they were wet and freezing and many of the regiment became so chilled as to be disabled. Mr. Rhode returned to Two Rivers after the war and resumed his former employment. He was married at Manitowoc before he enlisted, Aug. 20, 1864 to Mary Wasserer. They have seven children. Lizzie, the oldest, is the wife of Emil Teitgen, a hardware merchant of Manitowoc. Lillie is a clerk in the office of the Register of Deeds of Manitowoc county. Schiller, Vanda, Selma, Jessie and Norris are the names of the other children. In 1883, Mr. Rhode removed his family and interests to Manitowoc and has since been engage in the vocation of hotel keeper. (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) HENRY C. RICHARDS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.661-662. Henry C. Richards, who is proprietor of one of Manitowoc’s largest machine shops and foundries, was born in Troy, New York, June 9, 1854, and is a son of Jonah and Mary Ann (Johns) Richards, natives of Wales and Newport, England, respectively. The family on first coming to America settled in Virginia, from whence the grandfather of Henry C. Richards took his family to Wisconsin, locating first in Milwaukee, and later removing to Manitowoc, where Jonah Richards at first engaged in the blacksmith’s trade with a Mr. Roberts. After two weeks, however, he started in business on his own account, and some time prior to the Civil war his business developed into a machine shop and foundry. He was first located at the corner of York and Eighth streets, but in 1876 he erected a new building on the corner of Ninth and Commercial streets, and there he did the iron work for the Sea Gem, which vessel he later bought out from the other owners. He then built the tug Jonah Richards, which he traded for the schooner Sea Gull, and then built the Alice Richards, a “three~and-after;” the S. A. Wood, the tug Willie Richards and the City of Manitowoc. With Henry Berger as a partner he next built the H. C. Richards, a one thousand five hundred-ton ship and started the Manitowoc Dry Dock Company, of which he was president; purchased the Benton, a propeller, and the steamer Susquehanna and built the scow Mocking Bird. In 1880 he dissolved partnership with Mr. Berger and took Jsmes Butler as a master shipbuilder, building the steamer Reuben Richards and the barge May Richards. At one time he started to build a blast furnace and rolling mills at Manitowoc, but could not get enough persons interested, and consequently the enterprise went to De Pere, Wisconsin. He was one of the leading men in the boat business in Wisconsin, and had an interest in various vessels. He died at the age of fifty-three years, while his widow still survives, as do three of their six children: Henry C.; W. D., living in Los Angeles, California; and Alice, living in Manitowoc. After their father’s death, Henry C. Richards and his brother built the Edwin S. Tice, but since that time the boating interests have been disposed of and Mr. Richards now conducts a first-class machine shop, foundry and supply store, complete in every detail, and giving employment to thirty-four men. Mr. Richards was married in 1880 to Adah Turner, a daughter of Harvey Turner, an attorney of Manitowoc, and they have a family of four sons and six daughters. Mr. Richards is a member of the Knights of Pythias, while his wife is a consistent member of the Episcopal church. A. M. RICHTER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.186-187. A. M. Richter, who for many years was identified with the business interests of Manitowoc, Wisconsin, was born in Kemberg, Saxony, Germany, May 18, 1822, and died March 19, 1907. He came to the United States in 1850, settling in Sheboygan county, where he purchased a farm and resided for two years, and then removed to a tract in Newton township, Manitowoc county, which he cultivated and developed into a good farm. He had been a teacher in the old country, and in 1860 he started to teach school in Manitowoc, continuing as an educator until 1866, in which year he entered the drug business with Mr. Maklien, whose interest he purchased in 1868. He was identified with this business until 1873, but in that year sold out and became city clerk and county clerk for two years. On completing his duties in those offices he engaged in the vinegar business, in which he continued until his death, the firm having been known as A. M. Richter & Sons since 1886. He started in a small way, producing about four hundred and fifty barrels the first year, but the company now manufactures fifteen thousand barrels annually, the vinegar being made from corn, rye and barley malt, and the goods are shipped all over the United States. The concern has a four-story building, eighty by one hundred feet, and employs nine men. Mr. Richter was married to Miss Christina Richter, who survives him and resides in Manitowoc, and they had a family of nine children, as follows: Emily, who resides with her mother; two children who died in infancy; Mrs. Theckla Klingholz, of Chicago; a child who died April 16, 1860; Max, who is engaged in the vinegar business, has a wife and child; Hugo, also in the vinegar business, has a wife and a boy attending the University of Wisconsin; Arthur, the dean of the engineering department at the University of Montana; and Mrs. Fred Gehm, of Manitowoc. Mr. Richter was a prominent member of the Odd Fellows, while his son Max is associated with the Royal League and the Elks, and Hugo holds membership in the latter fraternity. ******* From the History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881, vol II, p.531 A. M. Richter, vinegar, mustard and pickle factory, Manitowoc. Born May 18, 1822 in Prussia. July, 1850, he came to Sheboygan. In 1854 came to Manitowoc County, followed farming four years; he then engaged in school teaching, which he continued about ten years; he also carried on the drug business, which he sold out in 1873, and at once established this business. He has held the offices of City Clerk, City Treasurer, and was County Clerk from 1872 to 1874. He also represented the County in the County Board. Has been County Supervisor, Alderman, etc. Married Miss Christina Richter, of Prussia. They have three sons and four daughters. B.F. RICHTER From the History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881, vol II, p.539 B.F. Richter, bookkeeper for the Two Rivers Manufacturing Company, was born, Jan. 20, 1836, in Saxony, Germany, February, 1851, he went to New Orleans, and afterward traveled through California and other States. In 1861, he came to Two Rivers and obtained employment in the chair factory, where he remained until January, 1865, when he enlisted in Co. D, 48th Wis. I.; served about thirteen months. After leaving the army, he went to Two Creeks, Wis., and was there employed in Pfister & Vogel's tannery, having a general supervision of all outside work. April, 1866, he returned to Two Rivers and had charge of the company's pier, besides occupying the position of agent for the Goodrich Transportation Co. In December, 1874, he was appointed to his present position. Married, in 1862, Miss Bertha Baum, also a native of Saxony. Three bright children gladden their home. DR. J.B. RICK From the Two Rivers Manitowoc County Chronicle, Tuesday, February 18, 1888: J.B. Rick of Gibson has recently returned home from the Rush Medical College at Chicago where he has been spending the past winter. He is a graduate of that institution and is now a full fledged M.D. He intends to open an office for the present at his residence, one mile north of Larrabee post office in Gibson. MICHAEL RIPLINGER
(NOTE: This photo had been mis-labeled, but has been labeled correctly now.)
ADAM ROBERTS History of Northern Wisconsin, 1881, vol II, p.542 Adam Roberts, general blacksmith, wagon and carriage manufacturer, Manitowoc. Was born in Montford Bridge, County Shropshire, England, Aug. 15, 1814. He emigrated to America in 1844, and landed in New York City July 1, of same year, and settled in Racine, where he lived about two years, and followed his trade. He moved to Manitowoc, June, 1846. He built a shop, and has followed blacksmithing since. Mr. R. counted the buildings soon after arriving in Manitowoc and found there were twenty-one, consisting of shanties and dwelling houses. The light house was built in 1836. He was married in England, in 1833, to Miss Eliza Worrall. She was born in England, and is now dead. They had two sons and three daughters. He was again married in Racine, in 1848, to Mrs. Anna Butcher, who was born on Isle Ely, England, July 27, 1815. They have had eight children, three sons and five daughters. JOHN H. ROBERTS From "A Century of Masonry 1856-1956" by Merle E. Hutchins (with permission) This is one of the founders served as Tiler during dispensation, as Junior Warden for 1856 after the granting of the Charter, and Senior Warden for 1857. He dimitted from the lodge on November 25, 1857. CARL ANTON ROBLEY This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.345-346. Carl Anton Robley, a prominent business man of Clarks Mills, Wisconsin, is the proprietor of a tonsorial establishment in this village, in connection with which he deals in stationery, periodicals and confectionery, and is also serving his third term as town clerk. He was born January 13, 1871, in the town of Cato, Manitowoc county, and is a son of Peter K. and Ingeborg (Aastad) Robley, natives of Norway, in which country they were married. In 1869 they came to the United States, and located at once in the town of Cato. Peter K. Robley, who was born April 24, 1842, was a tailor by trade, but after coming to this country worked for the first year as a farm hand. He then established a tailoring establishment in Clarks Mills, which he conducted until 1885. Prior to this time he had purchased twenty-seven acres of land in the town of Cato, and to this he added fifty-seven acres, and he is now engaged in general farming, dairying and stock-raising, and markets dairy products, hay and grain. Mrs. Robley, who also survives, was born March 6, 1843. They had the following children: Carl Anton; Sophia, born February 9, 1872, who died April 22, 1872; Martha Sophia, born March 17, 1873, who died November 12, 1873; Gustave Cornelius, born October 18, 1874, who died June 9, 1893; Hannah Maria, born June 15, 1876, who died October 12, 1900; Martin Severin, born September 10, 1877, who died December 3, 1901; Peter Herman, born August 10, 1879; Clara, born January 4, 1881, who died on the same day; and Clara Sabina, born June 4, 1882, who died November 10, 1900. Carl Anton Robley secured his education in the public schools and remained with his parents until he was twenty-five years of age, at which time he established himself in business, having learned the trade of barber. His brother, Peter H., who is the only other one of the children surviving, is unmarried and lives at home. Mr. Robley’s father was postmaster at Clarks Mills for several years, and also served as town treasurer and town clerk. He is a republican in his political views, as is also Carl A. Robley who is serving his third year as town clerk, and his second year as clerk of the school board. The members of this well known family are connected with the Norwegian Lutheran church—the Gjerpen church—of the town of Cato. Mr. Robley is unmarried. F. ADOLPH RODEWALD This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.381-382. F. Adolph Rodewald, who is a native resident of Manitowoc county, was born near Newton, September 25, 1858, the son of Ernst and Henrietta (Meyer) Rodewald. Ernst Rodewald was born in Lippe-Detmold, Germany, and came to the United States in 1847, when he was thirty-one years of age, settling in Pennsylvania, where he worked on a farm for about one year. While there he married Miss Henrietta Meyer, whom he had known in his native country and who had come to America and was living in Boston. He journeyed to that city for the purpose of seeing her and there they were betrothed. Soon afterward he came to Wisconsin, settling in Newton, on the farm on which the subject of this review was born. Here he built a log cabin, cleared some land and then returning to Boston, brought his wife back to this farm, where they spent the remainder of their lives. The father died October 4, 1892, and the mother, November 6, 1889. In their family were six children, Theodore, Ernst Jr., F. Adolph, William and twins, who passed away in infancy. F. Adolph Rodewald received his early education in the district schools of his neighborhood and for one term attended the public schools at Herman, Sheboygan county. Later he was a student for three and one-half years in the Mission House College, near Franklin, Sheboygan county. On leaving college he went to Wausau, where he was employed for one summer in a sawmill, in which the men worked eleven and one-half hours per day, the mill being in operation night and day and there being only two shifts of hands. During his leisure hours there he prepared to take a teacher’s examination, which he successfully passed the following fall. That winter he taught a seven months term of school at Wien, seven months being the longest school term then in the county. The following spring he taught in a German school at Rhine, where he had been engaged the previous spring. In the fall he returned to the same school at Wien, teaching there that winter, and by the spring term he was again teaching at the German school. He then retired from the profession of teaching having been in that work in all for three terms in the German school and two terms at Wien. In 1883 he purchased his present farm, to which he has since devoted his time and energy. He has greatly improved the same and now has on it excellent farm buildings and a beautiful modern home. He engages quite extensively in farming but gives most of his attention to dairying, which industry he carries on quite extensively. Ever since his residence on the farm he has been a member of the board of directors of the Mutual Farmers Fire Insurance Company of Newton, has held several offices in the same and is now serving as secretary. In 1884 Mr. Rodewald married Miss Eliza Tasche, who is a native of Sheboygan county and a daughter of August and Mary Tasche. The parents emigrated from Germany in 1855, settling in Sheboygan county, where the mother still lives, at the age of seventy-three years, the father having passed away in 1885. To Mr. and Mrs. Rodewald have been born eight children, three of whom are deceased, namely August, who died at the age of seventeen months; Emma, who died at the age of nineteen years; and Maria, who died aged thirteen. Those living are, Zilla, Ida, Lydia, Hattie and Paul. Politically Mr. Rodewald belongs to the democratic party and he has given much attention to local party work. At the age of thirty he was elected town clerk and served for two terms. In 1891 he became town chairman, which office he held for ten consecutive terms and then, being out of office for four years, was again elected for three terms in succession. He has taken a most careful and helpful interest in the schools of his district and since 1885-a period of over twenty-six years—he has served as clerk of the school district. Mr. Rodewald has resided in this county all his life and has not only seen the progress and development that have here occurred but has been a cooperant factor in all measures of reform which were instituted for the good of the public. Able and energetic, he has many friends both in the business and social world. In youth, while engaged in teaching, he always gave his work careful consideration, discharging his duties in the most efficient manner, and was, therefore, a highly successful teacher. Turning his attention to farming and dairying, he pursued that vocation with the same thorough interest in his work that has always been so characteristic of him and as a result he is one of the substantial business men of his community today. WILLIAM A. ROEHR This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.432-433. William A. Roehr, foreman of the shipping department of the Kiel Furniture Company, is a native of the town, his birth having occurred at his present residence on the 7th of August, 1879. His father, Albert Roehr, was born in the province of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, on the 2d of February, 1835. When a youth of sixteen years he emigrated to the United States with his parents, Franz and Minnie (Huebner) Roehr. They came direct to Manitowoc county, settling on a farm in Schleswig township, and there passed the remainder of their lives. Albert Roehr remained on his father’s farm until he was twenty-three years of age, when he left home and came to Kiel. He found employment in the Kiel Lye Factory, and was identified with this enterprise for many years. During the latter period of his life he was village custodian, and had charge of the town lights. He married Minnie Mathes, a daughter of William Mathes, a pioneer of Potter, which contained but two settlers when he located here. Albert Roehr passed away in 1898, at the age of sixty-three years, but his wife, who was sixty-five at the time of her death, survived him until 1908. Their family numbered fourteen, seven of whom are still living. In order of birth these are as follows: Rosa, the wife of H. Munier, a resident of Kiel; Frank, who is living in Chicago; Mary, who married William Berhend, of Plymouth, Wisconsin; Lottie, the wife of Louis Meixner, of Milwaukee, this state; Ida, who married Elmer May, of Galena, Illinois; Herman, who is a resident of Kiel; and William A., our subject. William A. Roehr pursued his education in the public schools of Kiel until he was thirteen years of age, when he laid aside his text-books and became a wage earner. He began work in the factory where he is now employed and has ever since been in the service of this company, a period of twenty years. At first his hours were long and his duties hard for a boy of his age, and he received only a dollar and a half a week. He was diligent and faithful and applied himself intelligently to acquiring a fuller knowledge of the business. His employers recognized his worth and promoted him in accordance with the ability he manifested. In 1900 he was made foreman of the shipping department, and has ever since held this position. In 1905 Mr. Roehr was united in marriage to Miss Ella Prueter, who was born in Sheboygan county, on the 10th of April, 1885, the only daughter of Carl and Sophia (Somner) Prueter. Her mother passed away in 1887, but the father is living retired in Plymouth, Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Roehr are members of the Reformed church and number among its congregation many friends of long years’ standing. JACOB ROEMER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.57-58. In the death of Jacob Roemer Manitowoc lost one of the representative business men and public-spirited citizens who was long well established in the regard of his fellow townsmen. He was born August 26, 1839, in Germany, and was twelve years of age when brought by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Roemer, to the new world, the family home being established in Manitowoc. The father spent his remaining days here. He was a cooper by trade and engaged in business along that line, becoming a prominent factor in commercial circles. His wife, Mrs. Catherine Roemer, died in this city on the 18th of March, 1902. Jacob Roemer began his education in the schools of the fatherland and continued his studies in the public schools of Manitowoc after coming with his parents to the United States. In early life he began learning the tinner’s trade under the direction of his uncle and followed it for some time. In 1881 he became a partner of E. K. Rand and they were associated in the hardware business for some years. Mr. Roemer’s thorough preliminary training well qualified him for the work and after starting out on his own account he made a creditable record for his reliability, his enterprising methods and his earnest desire to please his patrons. As the years passed his business grew and brought him substantial returns. He became recognized as one of the leading merchants of the city and at all times commanded the respect and confidence of those with whom he was associated. In 1865 Mr. Roemer was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Hessel, and they became the parents of ten children, of whom six are now living: Anna; Charles, who is a resident of Crookston, Minnesota; Elizabeth, the wife of Dr. Max Staehle; Mrs. Agnes Kuchera, of Warsaw, Wisconsin; Richard, who is living at Green Bay; and Theophilla, the wife of William Copus. The mother of these children died in 1885, and in 1889 Mr. Roemer was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Anna Kirscher, by whom he had one child, Olive, who is still with her mother. Mrs. Roemer’s father came to Manitowoc county at a very early day and settled on a farm here. The tract was wild and unimproved but he cleared the land and built thereon a log house. He contended with all the hardships, trials and privations which fell to the lot of the pioneer but as the years passed these were overcome by persistent effort and in course of time he won a substantial measure of success, spending his remaining days in this county. Mr. Roemer was a member of St. Boniface church and gave his political allegiance to the democratic party. Wherever he was known he was held in high esteem and most of all, where he was best known. He was loyal to his honest convictions, faithful to the ties of friendship and devoted to his home. He passed away in March, 1902. DIEDRICH ROEPKE From the History of Northern Wisconsin. 1881, vol II, p.542 D. Roepke, firm of D. Roepke & Bros., Silver Creek Mills, Sec. 34, P.O. Manitowoc, was born, March 23, 1853, in Germany. His father was a miller, and he was brought up to that business, and has always been engaged in it. His present mill, built of stone and brick, was erected in 1880, costing about $8,000. They also have a saw-mill attached to it, which has a capacity of 10,000 feet a day. In June, 1879, he married Miss Annie Wernecke, of Newton Township. They have one son. HERMAN ROETHEL Photos Photo from obit JAMES ROLLAND
James Rolland and Sadie Ebert, 1917 Photo compliments of Gary Omernick
JEREMIAH ROLLAND This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.311. Jeremiah Rolland, one of the enterprising young farmers of Franklin township, who is now operating eighty acres of land located on section 29, was born in Franklin township, Manitowoc county, January 1, 1884, a son of Richard and Mary (Dugan) Rolland, natives of Wisconsin. Mr. Rolland’s parents were married in St. Patrick’s church at Maple Grove, shortly thereafter settling on sixty acres of land, which has since been increased to one hundred acres. They both survive, the father being fifty—one years old and the mother fifty—three, and they are the parents of four children, of whom Jeremiah is the eldest. Jeremiah Rolland was educated in the district schools, but at the early age of seven years began working for wages, continuing thus until his marriage, in October, 1908, to Miss Mary Peppard, a daughter of Michael and Jane (Dorsey) Peppard, natives of Wisconsin, who were married in St. Patrick’s church of Maple Grove. They then settled on a farm near Cooperstown, where they are still living, the father being fifty—nine and the mother forty—nine years of age. Mrs. Rolland was the second of a family of eight children and was born October 3, 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Rolland have had two children: Edward, who died in infancy; and Elizabeth Florence, born July 18, 1911. After his marriage Mr. Rolland located on the farm which he now operates, which he had purchased a month before, and he has the land under a high state of cultivation. He does general farming, markets dairy products, hogs, cattle, grain and some hay, and milks ten cows and breeds Berkshire hogs. He has a frame barn, forty by ninety feet, built in 1910, equipped with patent stanchions and cement floors, and a two-story log house, which was on the farm when Mr. Rolland purchased it. His water supply is secured from drilled wells, two hundred and twenty-three feet. In political matters he is independent, and he and Mrs. Rolland are faithful members of St. Patrick’s Catholic church of Maple Grove.
Early 1900s photo likely taken in Chicago and sent home to relatives in Maple Grove. - Photo compliments of Gary Omernick
ELIZABETH MARY WALDO ROSS The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Volume 67 page 317 Mrs. Mary Waldo Ross. DAR ID Number: 66868 Born in Manitowoc, Wis. Wife of Edward Hancock Ross. Descendant of Major Daniel Wood, Lieut. Jesse Waldo, Jesse Waldo, Jr., Ezekiel Ricker, and Lieut. Jethro Hurd. Daughter of William Williams Waldo (1825-91) and Dorothy Wood (b. 1828), his wife, m. 1855. Granddaughter of Mark Wood (1795-1877) and Dorothy Ricker, his wife, m. 1819; Albigence Waldo (1797-1876) and Elizabeth Williams (1803-72), his wife, m. 1824. Gr-granddaughter of Enoch Wood (1774-1856) and Dorothy Hurd (1777-1857), his wife, m. 1795; Jesse Waldo, Jr. and Martha Hovey (1768-1849), his wife. m. 1786; Ezekiel Ricker and Molly Hanson, his wife, m. 1777. [p.317] Gr-gr-granddaughter of Daniel Wood and Mary (Plummer) Roberts Philpot, his wife; Jesse Waldo and Bridget Thompson (1735-1805), his wife, m. 1760; Jethro Hurd and Sarah ? (1745-1815), his wife. Daniel Wood (1739-1819) was major of Col. James Scammon's York County regiment, and in 1776 served in the Continental infantry. He was born in Boxford, Mass.; died in Shopleigh, Me. Also No. 8730. Jesse Waldo (1736-1823) was appointed by the General Assembly lieutenant of the train band, 1777. He was born and died in Mansfield, Conn. Also No. 45948. Jesse Waldo, Jr. (1761-1826), served short tours, 1777-80, in the Connecticut State troops. His widow applied for pension, 1839, in Plattsburg, N. Y. Her claim was allowed. He was born in Mansfield, Conn.; died in Plattsburg, N. Y. Also No. 45948. Ezekiel Ricker (1757-1804) enlisted in 1775 and served until discharged in 1779. He was born before 1757 in Berwick; died after 1804 in Lebanon, Me. Jethro Hurd (1740-1815) served in Colonel Poor's regiment in 1776. His service terminated after the surrender of Cornwallis. He died in Acton, Me. G.P. ROTH History of the Great Lakes, Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899 G.P. Roth is a genial, broad-minded man, and as an engineer enjoys the fullest confidence of the people by whom he has been engaged since he attained to the rank of chief engineer. He was born at Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany, October 3, 1843, and is a son of Michael and Mary (Liebach) Roth, with whom he came to the United States in 1849, locating first in New York City. After eighteen months the family removed to Milwaukee, Wis., where the parents made their home up to the time of their deaths, the father passing away in 1871 and the mother two years later. Mr. Roth, or "Phil," as he is familiarly known, acquired his education in the public schools of Milwaukee. At the age of sixteen years he determined to become a sailor, and his first berth was that of cabin boy in the side-wheel steamer Traveler, plying in the passenger trade between Chicago and Milwaukee under command of Capt. Barney Sweeney. In the spring of 1858 he shipped as porter in the passenger steamer Gazelle, the next season going as watchman in the steamer Sunbeam and learning to wheel at the same time, as, through his invariable good nature, he would relieve the regular wheelsman at times. He was thus able in the spring of 1860 to ship as wheelsman in the passenger steamer Comet, holding that berth throughout the season, and in the spring of 1861 he was appointed second mate of the same boat. During the next three years Mr. Roth worked in the engineer's department of the Goodrich Transportation Company at Manitowoc, Wis., with the purpose of becoming a marine engineer, and in 1865 he shipped as oiler in the passenger steamer R. N. Rice. He followed with a season in the steamer Orion as second engineer, with a license which he had taken out the previous winter, and in 1867 he was appointed second engineer of the steamer Sheboygan, after three years in that berth receiving promotion to the office of chief of the same boat, which he ran successfully for six consecutive seasons. In 1877 Mr. Roth purchased the side-wheel steamer Isabella at Oshkosh, Wis., and started for the Yazoo river, where he and his companions in the enterprise expected to make a fortune. They went by way of the Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers as far as St. Louis, where they were quarantined, and they eventually gave up the Yazoo river expedition, returning north up the Illinois river to Peoria, where they established themselves in the passenger and freight business, plying between that city and Beardstown. The Isabella being finally sold, Mr. Roth returned to the lakes and was given the appointment as chief engineer on the steamer Chicago, of the Goodrich Transportation Company, in whose employ he had passed many seasons. In 1881 he brought out the new passenger steamer City of Milwaukee, and when she was sold to the Milwaukee & Grand Haven Co., he went with her as chief, running her five years. During this period he was chief of the winter boat of the line, and in the winter of 1883-84 was in the steamer Michigan when she was frozen in the ice in mid-lake, where she was confined forty days, the crew subsisting during the latter part of their imprisonment on very short rations. At the breaking up of the ice in the spring the Michigan sank, the crew succeeded in getting on the ice, however. They walked ashore, a distance of twenty-five miles, having no food for many hours, and arrived at Saugautuck, Mich. In the spring of 1886 Mr. Roth returned to the employ of the Goodrich Transportation Company as chief engineer of the Chicago, which he ran until the close of the season of 1890. The next spring he went to Cleveland and brought out new the steamer Atlanta, remaining in her until the twin-screw steamer Virginia was completed, when he brought her out as chief, and he has retained that office to the present time. Socially Mr. Roth is a member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, No. 77, at Manitowoc, and represented that body as delegate to Washington in 1896; he was presiding officer in 1897, and is now past president. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workman. In June, 1863, Mr. Roth was united in marriage with Miss Annie Burkhardt, daughter of Philip Burkhardt, of Manitowoc, Wis., and their new and modern home is located at No. 414 Eighth street, that city. PETER ROTH Manitouwoc [old spelling] County Herald September 6, 1851 Vol. 1 No. 41 2nd page Column 5 Selling liquor without license -- Peter Roth was indicted for selling liquor at Two Rivers without license, and tried before Justice Kuehn. He was fined one hundred dollars, and in default of payment committed to prison. MOSES ROUEL Marriage Record Vol 3. Page 72 Husband Moses Rouel Father Francis Rouel Mother Mary Rouel Occupation Farmer Residence Mishicott Birthplace Wisconsin Wife Josephine Martell Father Mitchell Martell Mother Harriet Martell Birthplace ---- Date of Marriage December 15, 1866 Place of Marriage Town Of Gibson Color of Parties White Type of Ceremony Statutory Subscribing Witnesses ---- Clergy or Other A. Hudson - Town Of Gibson JOHN ROUSCH From the Manitowoc Pilot, February 29, 1872: Guardian Sale In Probate - Manitowoc County court In the matter of the estate of John Rousch, deceased. Notice is hereby given that by virtue and in persuance of an order of license, made in said matter, on the 19 day of February, A.D. 1872, by the county court of said county, the undersigned, Christian F. Kroeger, administrator for the estate of John Rousch, deceased, will, on Monday, the 11th day of March, A.D. 1872, at ten o'clock in the forenoon of said day, at the office of the County Judge, in the city of Manitowoc, in said county, offer for sale, at public vendue, the following described lands, to-wit: The south half of the northwest quarter of section ten(10), township nineteen(19), range twenty-one(21). The terms of sale, cash. FRITZ RUDOLPH History of Northern Wisconsin. 1881, vol II, p.532 Fritz Rudolph, wholesale liquors, Manitowoc. Born March 8, 1813, in Arnstadt, Germany. In 1848, he came to Philadelphia, was clerk in a drug store one year, then came to Manitowoc County; followed farming five years. He then removed to the city, and was clerk in wholesale liquor store two years. In 1856, he opened a store which he has successfully continued since. He built his residence in 1869, which is beautifully surrounded with shade trees, graveled walks and flowers, and is one of the pleasantest locations on the South Side. In 1875 he built a block of two stores, corner of Eighth and Franklin streets; cost about $11,000. He was married, in 1860, to Dora Solomon, sister of the en-Governor(sic) Solomon of Wisconsin. She was born in Halberstadt, Germany. They have one adopted son, William, now employed in a wholesale store in St. Louis, Mo. Mr. Rudolph has in his parlor a very fine painting of his grandfather, Christopher Rudolph, who was born May 27, 1750, and died in 1826. He was a dyer by trade. His son was also brought up to the same business. LOUIS RUELLE Picture sent in by family researcher/see contributors page Wedding picture of Louis and Doris Prudhomme Ruelle
HERMAN RUH Herman Ruh was born in Kiel, Wisconsin, June 8, 1872. His parents were farmers of German descent. There were four boys and one girl: Chris, Rudolph, Adam, Herman and Minnie. When Herman was a little boy, he liked to climb to the hilltop, call out and hear his echo return his words to him. At age 10 he became very ill with, what was then called, brain fever; from this illness he became deaf. After his strength returned, he went to the hills, called out, but a very disappointed boy did not hear his echo again. German and English were spoken by his family. After he became deaf, Herman learned to read lips in these two languages. He spoke German and English well with a pleasant toned voice. His parents, brothers and sisters talked to him in these two languages and he used his voice all of his life - that is why he spoke so well. His parents sent him to the Wisconsin School for the Deaf, Delavan, Wisconsin, where he studied several subjects and learned the sign language. He did not have a German accent like his sister, Minnie. Herman liked outdoor sports, such as, fishing, camping and bicycle riding. He also like to waltz and could feel the vibration of the music to keep in step. There were many deaf people in Wisconsin and they all had jobs. Do not know what kind of work Herman did after he left school. ********* Melinda Errard was born in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, Sept. 19, 1877. Her parents were Calixte Errard and Delaphine Le Duc of French descent. There were five boys and four girls: Joseph, Charles, George, Edmund, Israel, Melinda, Selina, Isabelle and Delima. Calixte Errard operated a grocery store and adjoining feed store on Scott Street, Fond du Lac. Years later this building became a landmark. Errard was an active church member and city alderman. Melinda was a tiny tot when illness left her deaf. French and English were spoken by all of her family. Melinda learned to read lips. Her parents, brothers and sisters talked to her in these two languages and she used her voice all of her life. That is why she spoke so well with a warm, clear voice and a bit of a French accent. Later Melinda and all of her family learned the sign language. Melinda's parents sent her to the Institution des Sourdes-Muettes, Montreal, Canada; a convent school. Among subjects studied, as well as sign language, the Sister Superior suggested art to her parents. Melinda's artistic ability produced beautiful pictures with charcoal and ink. A beautiful charcoal sketch of St. John (14" x 18") hung in the living room of her parents' home. Melinda did this work when she was about 14 years old. (This cherished possession is now in the living room of Isabelle Ruh Kersey.) She also did beautiful embroidery work and sewing, which she later taught her daughters. *********** Many years later when Melinda's father, Calixte Errard, became very ill, he called his eldest son, Joseph, to him and said, "Joseph, I will not be with you much longer. You will find there are many people who owe us money. There are some who will pay you and some who will not - but let them settle with God. The poor ones - forget about them." He was truly a good man. Sons, Joseph and Charles ran the businesses for many years. ********** Herman Ruh married Miss Schultz. They had a daughter, Mabel. Herman's wife died when Mabel was a little tot. (Do not have any other information.) ********* Melinda Errard and Herman Ruh were married July, 1902. Their children: Joseph, Harry, Ruth, Elizabeth, Isabelle, Bill and Madelyn grew up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Herman Ruh: For many years Dad Herman worked for the Paine Lumber Co. He was very handy at home and did all the repairs to the house, including plumbing. He and his deaf friend, Mr. Wesenberg, ("Wezie" as we kids called him) dug a well. We had good drinking water. Dad had a metal form for shoes and on this he soled the shoes of his children. He also had a small machine on which he stitched our shoes. In the Spring he put in a backyard garden. There were always potatoes. The kids part was to put a little kerosene in a small can and with a stick plop the potato bugs in the can. Sometimes in the evening, when the light was just right, he would put his hands together in such a way to make the form of a rabbit on the wall. He made its mouth open and close, and the ears wiggle. When son, Joe, got a job, he saved money and bought Dad a used Overland car. He bought a used one for himself, too. Dad did all the repairs on this car. He rode his bicycle to work every day and took Mother Melinda and children out on Sunday. Little Madelyn sang as he drove along a country road. There were many deaf people near and in Oshkosh. Mother Melinda and Dad Herman enjoyed the companionship of many loyal and devoted friends. Early 1931 Dad Herman became ill and had to leave work. Later he was hospitalized, had surgery, returned home and never recovered. It was said to be cancer of the liver. He left us Dec. 8, 1931. He was 59 years old. In those days there were no such things as sick leave, unemployment compensation or other benefits. There were devoted friends and good neighbors - kind, thoughtful people. *********** Mother Melinda, sweet, gentle angel with a deep abiding faith in God. She kept the home fires burning with a serene atmosphere and security. Her work was hard - washing clothes on a washboard and boiling the whites on the stove in a big copper bottomed boiler. She baked delicious bread, apple dumplings et cetra. Her sewing was professional and the nurse at school remarked about the "beautiful patch" on underwear. On a winter night, sitting around the dining room table, Mother brought us wooden clothes pins to play with. She inspired us to form houses. If we had peanuts, we added a pig pen and put the peanuts in it. Then invited our neighbors to butcher a pig and eat a peanut. Unaware, she invented the Tinker Toys. She was very imaginative. Could make something out of almost nothing. Of an evening she and Dad read the newspaper. She always read the art section. Her gentle manner of correcting a child was such one did not forget - in fact, one would rmember all the days of her life. There is so much more that could be said about this gracious, beautiful person. Ruth made cute dresses for Madelyn - dotted Swiss with lace. She made a lovely dress for Isabelle - a special school event. When Dad went away, Mother Melinda, with her deep abiding faith made us feel secure. Joe, Harry, Ruth and Betty were married at this time. Betty was having a hard time and Mother offered her home. Their little son, Jerry, was a great joy to his dear Grandmother. Later they moved and Harry had no job. Harry, wife Dorothy and baby Bobby moved in with Mother Melinda. September 1980, Betty said, "My Mother supported me." That she did! Mother Melinda supported all of us: Harry, Dorothy, baby Bobby; Betty and Jerry; Isabelle, Bill and Madelyn. No taxes were paid on her home all these years. Mother was concerned only about her children's welfare. She made all of us feel secure. ************* When Mother Melinda left her home in Oshkosh, she received $300.00 for it. (Three hundred dollars.) Mother, Madelyn and Isabelle moved to Milwaukee because Isabelle was offered a job there, but she had a job in Oshkosh. (This move was unnecessary and something Isabelle always regretted.) Bill was in the Army. Mother Melinda had many devoted friends in Oshkosh. A little over a year leater Mother Melinda died - May 29, 1941 at age 64. At this time Mother received monies from her late Father's long-pending estate (Calixte Errard.) This money paid her doctor, funeral expenses, and a double headstone for the graves of Melinda and Herman Ruh. Her relatives sent or brought money gifts which were taken to St. Peter's Church, Oshkosh and Milwaukee. No Mother ever did more for her children than this beautiful soul.
(sent in by researcher/see contributors page)
GUSTAV RUSCH This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.311. Gustav Rusch is an enterprising agriculturist of Liberty township, where he owns an attractive and highly improved farm. He has always been a resident of Manitowoc county, his birth having occurred in the township where he now lives on the 25th of September, 1871. His father, William Rusch, was born in Germany in 1840, and there he was reared and educated and also learned the carpenter’s trade, continuing to reside in his native land until he had attained the age of twenty-six. From his early boyhood he had heard of wonderful opportunities and advantages available in the United States, so in 1866 he determined to put them to the test and took passage for this country, with Manitowoc county as his destination. Upon his arrival he located in Liberty township, where for two years he worked at his trade. He was very anxious to acquire some land and during that period he lived economically, saving as much as he could of his earnings in order that he might the sooner become a property owner. In 1868 he had accumulated sufficient means to buy a portion of section 15, this township, which in common with the greater portion of the land in this vicinity at that period was still covered with a heavy timber growth. About that time he was married to Miss Wilhelmina Luebcke, a daughter of Herman Luebcke, for many years a resident of this county but a native of Germany as was likewise the daughter, whose birth occurred in 1851. Mr. and Mrs. Rusch began their domestic life in a log cabin amid the pioneer conditions that prevailed throughout the rural districts in this vicinity at that period. Twelve children were born to them, but one daughter, Martha, died in infancy. Those who lived to attain maturity are: Otto, Gustav, Elizabeth, Pauline, Emma, Ida, Bertha, William, Reinholdt, Maria, and Linda. The parents are still living and continue to make their home on the old farm. Gustav Rusch was reared amid the scenes which have been familiar to him from his infancy. At the usual age he entered the district school, where he mastered the common branches while qualifying himself for a future agricultural career by assisting his father with the work of the farm. When he was eighteen he learned the carpenter’s trade under the supervision of his father, continuing to follow this occupation until he was twenty-four years of age, when he purchased the farm that he is now operating. Mr. Rusch is a man who applies himself energetically and intelligently to whatever he undertakes and as a result his efforts are correspondingly rewarded. His personal attention has always been given to everything about his farm, much of the work having been performed by him, and he is meeting with success in both the cultivation of his fields and his dairying, of which he makes a specialty. He has always made a careful study of his land, using good judgment in its fertilization and drainage and planting it to such cereals as are best adapted to the soil, and his endeavors are annually rewarded by abundant harvests. As his circumstances have warranted during the period of his ownership he has installed various modern conveniences and improvements on his place, characteristic of the spirit of progress he at all times manifests in his business. In 1900 he erected a fine, large barn with a cement floor, which enables him to house his stock comfortably, and he has also made ample provision for the protection of his grain and machinery and implements, his place being well equipped with various appliances to lessen the drudgery and expedite the work connected with the cultivation of the land. This summer he completed a modern residence that has greatly enhanced the appearance and value of his property, being one of the most attractive farm houses in the community. Mr. Rusch is in every way a thoroughly progressive man, taking pleasure in the development of his business and the making of money but finds equal delight in using it for the comfort and pleasure of his family and friends. In 1894 Mr. Rusch was united in marriage to Miss Maria Commings, a daughter of William and Wilhelmina (Lippert) Commings, who in the early years of their domestic life emigrated from Germany to America, locating in Liberty township, where Mrs. Rusch was born and reared. Of the four children born to Mr. and Mrs. Rusch three are living, Lydia, Arnold and Adelheit. One little daughter, Martha, died in infancy. The family affiliate with the German Lutheran church in which the parents hold membership. Mr. Rusch has always been one of the public-spirited men of the township, who takes an active interest in promoting the welfare of the community and assumes his share of the governmental responsibilities. He served as treasurer for three years and for five he was school clerk, and gave efficient service in both capacities. In connection with the administration of his own business at the present time he is acting as agent for the Mutual Newton Fire Insurance Company. Mr. Rusch is a man of intelligence and high standards of conduct, whose success is the result of industry and close application. He is held in high regard in his community where he has been known from boyhood and numbers among his closest friends many of the comrades of his school days. WALTER RUSCH
Photo taken in 1914 on Eda's wedding day to Walter Rusch. From left, Eda Haese, unknown, Irene Rusch, and Freida Haese. Photo compliments of Gary Omernick
WILLIAM RUSCH This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.552. William Rusch, owner of eighty acres of good land in Rockland, where he was born, May 8, 1882, was the second child of the five born to Herman and Amelia (Moede) Rusch, both natives of Germany. William Rusch attended district and parochial schools, and laid a good educational foundation by close study, to which he has added by observation and experience. From the time he was fifteen he worked for his parents and was thus employed for six years. On November 1, 1907, he became the owner of his present farm upon which he raises barley, wheat, oats and rye. He milks twenty graded cows, selling his product to the cheese factory, and his horses are bred to Percheron strains, and he raises hogs for market. The water supply is provided by a drilled well as good as any in Manitowoc county. The barn, forty by ninety-two feet, has a basement under a part of it, and was built in 1884, as was the grainary. The thirteen-room house is two stories in height and was also erected by Herman Rusch in 1891. On February 16, 1910, Mr. Rusch was married to Ida Schmidt. Her parents celebrated their silver wedding anniversary on April 14, 1911, and have always lived in their present house. Mr. and Mrs. Rusch have an infant son. In politics Mr. Rusch is a republican, and served on the school board from 1905 to 1911. He belongs to the American Society of Equity, serving as treasurer of it from February, 1909, to February, 1910. The family are members of the Avon Evangelical church. Always willing to work, and knowing how to save thriftily, Mr. Rusch has prospered and stands well in his community.