[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
PATRICK CAHILL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.291-292. Patrick Cahill, who is the owner of two hundred acres of excellent farming land on section 32, town of Franklin, and section 5, town of Cato, is one of the successful agriculturists of Manitowoc county, Wisconsin. He was born in the city of Manitowoc April 27, 1856, a son of James and Mary (Egan) Cahill, natives of Ireland. Mr. Cahill’s parents were married in Milwaukee, and shortly thereafter settled in the city of Manitowoc, where James Cahill secured employment in the lumber mills until 1858. In that year he purchased eighty acres of wild land in the town of Franklin, where he cut logs and built a cabin, purchased oxen and started clearing land, and at the time of his death, in 1864, when he was fifty-two years of age, he had become one of the leading men of the town and a prominent democrat, being the candidate of that party in 1860 for the office of sheriff, and serving in the general assembly in 1862 and 1863. His widow continued to reside on the old homestead until her death, April 10, 1908, when she was eighty-two years of age, and both are buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery at Maple Grove. Patrick Cahill is the eldest of his parents’ four children, all of whom are living, and remained at home until his marriage, in i888, to Miss Margaret Meany, daughter of Patrick and Bridget (Green) Meany, natives of Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Meany were married in Steubenville, Ohio, and about seven years later came to Wisconsin, purchasing eighty acres of wild land in the town of Cato. There Mr. Meany built a house, developed his land, and spent the remainder of his life in agricultural pursuits, passing away in 1871, at the age of forty-eight years, his widow surviving until 1900 and dying when sixty-eight years of age, and both are buried at St. Patrick’s cemetery. Mrs. Cahill was the fifth of a family of ten children, and was born November 29, 1861. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Cahill: James F., Henry J., Mary J., Helen E., Margaret, William and George. James F. Cahill attended the high school for four years; Henry attended the Reedsville school and completed the ninth grade; Mary graduated from Reedsville high school and then attended the Oshkosh Normal School, preparing herself for teaching, in which she is now engaged; Helen was graduated from the eighth grade of Grimm’s school; and Mary, Helen, Margaret and James have been educated in music. Mr. Cahill has a tract of one hundred and ninety acres under a high state of cultivation, and he carries on general farming, markets dairy products, hogs, hay and grain, and milks twenty-four cows nearly all the year, they being mostly Holsteins. His frame barn, built in 1886, was enlarged to its present size, fifty-two by one hundred and eight feet, in 1905, and is equipped with patent stanchions, and the two-story, frame residence, built first in 1875, was remodeled to its present size in 1904. The water supply for all purposes is secured from drilled wells. Mr. Cahill has been very busy in his agricultural pursuits, but he has still found time to serve his town as chairman of the board for nine years and as clerk of the school board for ten years. He is a democrat in politics, and with his family attends St. Patrick’s Catholic church of Maple Grove. MARIA STONE CAMP From the Eagle Star, Marinette, Wis., August 5, 1913 AGED WOMAN TELLS OF "FATHER'S FLAG" Battle of Lake Erie is Described by Manitowoc Resident When the Niagara Touches that Port. HE FOUGHT UNDER PERRY James Stone's Daughter Visits Flagship and Touches Banner That Flew Above Parent's Head. Manitowoc, Wis., Aug. 4.-Just 100 years ago James Stone, a carpenter on board the Lawrence, Commander Perry's first flagship, fought the British, was wounded by one of their projectiles and fell to the blood stained deck among the others of the dead or wounder(sic) crew. Above him had floated the blue banner with its words, "Don't Give Up the Ship." On Monday Carpenter Stone's daughter, now Mrs. Parmene Camp, 82 years old and long a resident of this city, walked the deck of the Niagara, to which Commander Perry had gone when he saw that the Lawrence was of no longer use as a battleship, and gazed upon the very flag under which her father had fought and bled. Mrs. Camp was enabled to see this flag thru a whim of nature. The Niagara, with its consort of three ships-the Wolverine, Hawk and Tuscarora-had been forced by rough weather to lay to in Manitowoc bay Monday mornnig(sic). Boats from the vessel arrived from the vessels during the forenoon and plans for an informal celebration were at once made by the businessmen from the city. Each returning boat took many residents of the city to the historic Niagara, recovered from its bed in Lake Erie and when the boats left for Milwaukee late Monday night it was estimated that at least 5,000 persons had visited the boat. During the day a dinner had been arranged for the officers of the boats at the home of the Manitowoc Country club by State Senator S.W. Randolph and members of the Perry centennial commission. One of the visitors to the famous ship was Mrs. Camp and on its old wooden deck she told again the story of the battle as she heard it from her father. She told of the sighting of the British ships after having told how Commodore Perry had caused his famous flag to be nailed to the mast, of how the men had fought, bled and died under that flag, of how the British ships could not withstand the terrible effect of the broadsides poured into them from the Lawrence, the Niagara and sister ships and of the destruction on board the Lawrence. With tears in her eyes the aged woman described how Perry had at last decided to leave the Lawrence to go to the Niagara and there continue the battle, and win it, and how the deserted Lawrence, without guide or helmsman, with its burden of dead and dying seamen, had drifted almost under the flashing guns of the fighting ships and of how at last Capt. Perry had returned to his first flagship, the Lawrence, a victor, and there received the sword of the defeated British commander. During the telling of her story she held a corner of the old flag in her fingers and had as an interested audience many residents of this city, together with the officers of the fleet and members of the centennial commission. As the only child of a participant of the historic battle of Lake Erie she was given the place of honor at the Country club dinner. The members of the crew and of the fleet of vessels were given a last grand farewell as they left the harbor and steamed slowly for Milwaukee. MICHAEL CARNEY This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.204-205. Michael Carney, who owns and operates a fine farm of seventy-seven acres, situated on section 5, town of Cato, is one of the progressive farmers and public—spirited citizens of this community. He was born on the farm which he now cultivates, October 29, 1865, and is a son of Michael and Mary (Halloran) Carney. Mr. Carney's parents, who were natives of the Emerald isle, came to the United States as young people, and were married in Wisconsin, afterward settling on eighty acres of land on section 5, town of Cato, at that time a wild and uncultivated country. Here the father erected a log house, developed the land and continued to engage in agricultural pursuits until his death, about 1894. He was aged upward of seventy—five years at the time of his death, while his widow, who survived him until 1901, passed away at the age of sixty-two years, and both were buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery, Maple Grove. Michael Carney was the sixth of his parents’ nine children, and he was educated in the district schools and reared to the life of an agriculturist inheriting the home farm at the time of his mother’s death. He has forty acres of his land under cultivation, and it is fenced with barbed wire and very neatly kept. General farming and dairying have claimed his attention, and he markets dairy products, hay and grain, and milks eleven cows, raising graded cattle and Percheron horses. In 1902 he erected a basement barn, thirty-five feet by one hundred and ten feet, with cement floors, while the family home is a frame cottage, which was built many years ago. The water supply for all purposes is secured from drilled wells. In June, 1898, Mr. Carney was united in marriage to Miss Alice Norton, who was the seventh in order of birth of the nine children of George and Catherine Norton, natives of Ireland. Mrs. Norton died in Manitowoc in the spring of 1911, while her husband still resides in that city with one of his daughters. He was for many years a sailor on the Great Lakes, becoming a captain and owning his own vessels. Mr. Carney and his family are members of St. Patrick’s Catholic church of Maple Grove, where he has served three years as secretary of the congregation, and he is also connected with the Catholic Order of Foresters and the Modern Woodmen of America. His political beliefs are those of the democratic party. Mr. Carney is known as an excellent farmer, and also as a citizen in whom the most implicit confidence may always be placed. ERNST WILLIAM CARSTENS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.204-205. Ernst W. Carstens, who was born November 22, 1852, in Newton township on the farm upon which he now resides, is one of the most prominent and successful farmers of Manitowoc county. His parents were Herman and Mary (Bole) Carstens, both of whom were natives of Germany, the father born in 1824 and the mother July 17, 1825. They came to the United States in 1850, arriving in this county on June 21, while Ernst and Annie Carstens, the paternal grandfather and grandmother of the subject of this review, came a year later. The first year after his arrival in Manitowoc county, Herman Carstens resided on his brother’s farm, and subsequently purchased a farm in Newton township, which at that time was covered with timber. Here he erected a log cabin in which his family lived for several years, and in which the subject of this sketch was born. He cleared and improved the land, developing it until it became a fine farm and thereon resided until his death, December 19, 1907. His wife passed away January 18, 1884. From 1870 until the time of his death, a period of thirty-seven years, Mr. Carstens was blind, but nevertheless he was remarkable in his ability to do farm work and during the entire time of his blindness, except for the three months preceding his death, he fed the horses, cattle and other stock, and attended to the many chores of the farm. He was a very capable man, and in spite of his blindness, took much interest in the welfare of the community, although he never cared to hold public office. He had many friends throughout the county, and his death was deeply regretted by all his acquaintances. He was the second in order of birth of a family of eight children, his brothers and sisters being, Henry, Christian, Margarita, Annie, Sophia, Kathrina and Minnie. In the family of Herman and Mary (Bole) Carstens were ten children, the eldest of whom was Ernst W. of this review. The others are, Anna, Willie, Mary, Sophia, Johannah, Lena, Meta and two who died in infancy. Ernst W. Carstens obtained his education in the district school of the neighborhood and in the parochial school. He grew to manhood on his father’s farm and has always been associated with the cultivation of the home place which he purchased in May, 1880. Since that time he has made many improvements, having erected an excellent modern house and fine barns. He engages quite extensively in general farming and dairying and is counted among the leading agriculturists of the county. On the 10th of June, 1880, Mr. Carstens wedded Miss Annie Wehausen, who was born November 5, 1858, in Liberty township, the daughter of Frederick and Annie Wehausen, whose family comprised four children. The parents came from Germany in 1857, settling among acquaintances near Cedarburg, and in 1859 removed to this county, locating at Liberty. Mr. and Mrs. Carstens have become the parents of six children: Herman, who was born April 23, 1882, and is married to Annie Beckmann and is now the father of two children, Hertha and Irene; Edwin, who was born December 31, 1884, and is married to Bertha Nass and has two children, Elvira and Harold; and William, Ida, Emma and Charles, all of whom are now at home and whose natal days were respectively January 16, 1888, March 25, 1892, October 13, 1894, and March 7, 1897. Mr. Carstens has always been deeply interested in the general welfare, and he is well informed concerning questions and issues of the day, but he has never sought nor desired public office. Both he and his wife are of the Lutheran faith, holding membership in the German church of Newton. Living in this county all his life, Mr. Carstens has a wide circle of acquaintances, and his sterling traits of character command the confidence and good will of all. For more than a half century he has been an interested and helpful factor in the development and progress of the community and has witnessed the many changes that have here occurred. CAPTAIN EDWARD CARUS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.114-115. Captain Edward Carus, commander of one of the vessels of a Chicago freight line, is one of the best known representatives of the shipping interests of Lake Michigan. He has spent almost his entire life in this service. He was born in Manitowoc, in April, 1860. a son of Frederick Carus, who arrived here in 1848. The father was born at Halberstadt, Germany, in 1819, and was therefore about twenty—nine years of age when he sailed from his native country to America in 1848, establishing his home at Manitowoc Rapids, where he followed the occupation of furrier. He traded with the Indians, maintaining a regular trading post, and he used the furs thus secured in the manufacture of gloves, caps, etc. He was a very active man in business there for many years, and when the town of Manitowoc was being developed he removed to this city. He acted as the first city marshal, was also alderman and filled other positions of public trust and responsibility, the duties of which he discharged with promptness and fidelity. His business enterprise and his public spirit and activity made him a valuable factor in the city’s growth and advancement. He passed away in Manitowoc, May 21, 1896, having long survived his first wife, who bore the maiden name of Caroline Fisher, and was a native of Bohemia. She died in young womanhood and Frederick Carus afterward wedded Ernestine Tiel, who still lives in Manitowoc. By the first marriage there were two children, Edward and Mrs. Sophia Frischen, of Bremen, Germany. The only child of the second marriage, a son, Fred, is still living in Manitowoc. Captain Carus was reared in this city, where he attended the public schools until fifteen years of age, when he became a sailor on board a boat on Lake Michigan. He continued for some time on sailing vessels and afterward secured a position on a steamboat. The first vessel of which he became captain was the George A. Marsh, a freight boat. He afterward became commander of the steamer Muskegon, of the Goodrich line, and for thirty-six years sailed boats of that line up and down Lake Michigan. He is now in command of a boat for a Chicago freight line and is one of the best known captains on the lake. He knows every inch of shore and has become expert as a weather forecaster. He has been most loyal to the interests entrusted to his care and the positions which he has occupied have long been responsible ones. In Manitowoc, October 1, 1890, Captain Carus was united in marriage to Miss Mary Bahr, a daughter of John G. Bahr, who came to Manitowoc county from Germany and engaged in farming in the town of Franklin, where he made a home and developed a farm, clearing and cultivating the land. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary Lapour. Both Captain and Mrs. Carus are well known in Manitowoc, where they have many friends. His political support is given to the republican party but he has had neither time nor inclination to seek public office. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, to the Royal League and to the Ship Masters Association of the Great Lakes. He is sincere, out—spoken, frank, jovial and cordial. While on shipboard he maintained the dignity of his position in safeguarding the interests entrusted to his care, yet is at all times approachable. ________ From the "History of the Great Lakes" vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield 1899 Captain Edward Carus, master of the new Goodrich steamship Company's passenger steamer Georgia, built at Manitowoc by Burger & Burger during the winter of 1897-98, has been in that employ off and on since he first commenced to follow the lakes, in the several capacities from boy to master. The fact that he has been chosen to bring out the last elegant new addition to the fleet is evidence of the esteem in which he is held by the management of the company for which he works. Captain Carus was born in Manitowoc, Wis., on April 15, 1860, a son of Frederick Carus, who was one of the pioneers of Manitowoc, and for many years a fur trader among the Indian tribes in that region. The father was a German exile, having taken a leading part in the revolution of 1848 in that country, escaping to the United States soon after the uprising was quelled. Many of his comrades were cast into prison and some suffered death. Captain Carus' school days terminated when he reached the age of fourteen years, as he then shipped as porter on the steamer Alpena, owned by the Goodrich Steamship Company, plying in the passenger trade between Milwaukee and Ludington, and he went as watchman the next three seasons on the same steamer. In the spring of 1878 he transferred to the steamer F. J. Truesdale, plying between Chicago, Escanaba and Green Bay ports. This was followed by a season in the steamer Oconto, running over the same route, as wheelsman. In the spring of 1880 he shipped before the mast in the schooner C.C. Barnes, leaving her at Buffalo and joining the schooner Samuel J. Tilden. On leaving her, he went by way of the Erie canal to New York, where he shipped in the steamer Crescent City, plying between that port and Havana, touching at Charleston, Savannah and other intermediate ports. The next spring he returned to the lakes and shipped before the mast in the schooner C.C. Barnes, but afterward changed to the steamer Menominee as wheelsman; she being a winter boat, he remained in her until the spring of 1882, when he was appointed second mate, having taken out his license in 1880. During the next three seasons he was mate of the steamer Corona, plying between Manitowoc and Green Bay ports. In 1886 he was appointed mate in the steamer Joseph L. Hurd, of the Lake Michigan & Lake Superior line. In the spring of 1887 Captain Carus was appointed master of the passenger steamer Nellie, which carried the United States mails between Harbor Springs and the Beavers. In 1888 he again entered the employ of the Goodrich Steamship Company, as mate of the Depere. The next spring he came out as master of the steamer Hunter, owned by Mr. Booth, and sailed her until June, when he assumed command of the steamer Muskegon, and sailed her until the fall of 1892, going as master on the Sheboygan the next spring, but closing the season on the Menominee. He sailed the Muskegon again in 1894 between Chicago and Green Bay ports. His next command was the City of Ludington, which he sailed until the fall of 1897 over the same route. In the spring of 1898 the Captain fitted out the splendid new steamer Georgia, brought her out, and is in command of her at this writing. Socially, he is a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of Council No. 42, Loyal League. On October 1, 1890, Captain Carus was married to Miss Mary, daughter of J. G. Bahr, of Manitowoc, Wis. He has acquired a fine property in his native city, and has recently built for the occupancy of himself and wife a spacious modern residence. HON. JOHN CHLOUPEK This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" vol.2 by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.16-17. Hon. John Chloupek, judge of the county court of Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, was born in Kossuth township, Manitowoc county, July 20, 1861, and belongs to one of this section’s pioneer familes. Joseph Chloupek, the grandfather of Judge Chloupek, had five sons: John, Anton, Wenzel, Joseph and Emil, of whom Anton and Wenzel came to Wisconsin in 1847 from New York, and the others of the family followed during the next year. They were typical pioneers of Manitowoc county, there being but one pair of boots among the five sons, and the journey being made with their provisions strapped to their backs. Locating in Kossuth township, on Francis creek, the boys secured work at sixteen cents per day, in order to secure the means of purchasing implements to work their wild land, none of which had been cleared, and to furnish provisions for the family until the farm could be made to pay for itself. Later they built the first gristmill in Kossuth township, and some time after that Wenzel Chloupek built a gristmill and sawmill, the latter being the first sawmill in that township. All of these sons became prominent in politics and were well known and highly respected citizens, but they have all passed away with the exception of Joseph, the father of Judge Chloupek, who is now living retired. Joseph Chloupek was married in Manitowoc county to Mary Sullivan, daughter of Edward Sullivan, who brought his family to Manitowoc county in 1848, and she died in 1910, having been the mother of ten children, of whom six survive, as follows: Mrs. Anna Kumbalik, living at Two Rivers; Judge John Chloupek; Erwin, a San Francisco attorney; Mrs. Laura Brown, of Two Rivers; Charles, a physician and surgeon of Green Bay; and Edward, a civil engineer and graduate of Seattle University. John Chloupek received his early education in the country schools and then entered the Two Rivers high school. After his graduation he engaged in teaching, and so continued from 1879 until 1885. In 1886 he was elected clerk of the circuit court, serving in that capacity for six years, and in 1891 entered the law department of the University of Wisconsin, at Madison, being admitted to the bar in 1892. On his return to Manitowoc county he was elected district attorney and served in that office for four years, but met with defeat in the election of 1896. He then engaged in practice with Judge Baensch, and in 1901 was elected to the office of judge of the county court, being reelected to that position ever since. Judge Chloupek was married May 16, 1888, to Julia Bressler, daughter of Charles and Gabriele (Fischer) Bressler, who came to Manitowoc county in 1848, and to this union there have been born four sons and one daughter, all of whom survive. JOSEPH CHLOUPEK From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 541 Farmer, Sec. 10, Kossuth, P. O. Francis Creek. Was born, Feb. 3, 1833 in Bohemia; came to New York in 1848, with his parents. The following year he came to Milwaukee and worked at the harness trade for seven months. In 1850, he came to this locality, where he has since resided. The town was, in 1853, divided from the town of Rapids; he, with others, decided to name this town after the noted Gen. Kossuth. Mr. Chloupek was first employed at his father's saw mill for thirteen years, since which time he has been engaged in farming. He was Postmaster from 1864 to 1868, and has held various other offices. He married, in 1856, Mary Sullivan, of Ireland, by whom he has five children, three sons and two daughters. Their eldest son, John, is a young man of marked ability and is a school teacher. ERNST HUGO CHRISTEL From the Herald Times Reporter, Aug. 13, 1975 Christel Ernst Hugo Christel, 91, who had resided at Calumet Homestead, New Holstein, since February of 1973, died Tuesday morning at the homestead. Funeral services will be at 8:45 a.m. Saturday at Erbe-Evjen Funeral Home and 9:15 a.m. at Holy Rosary Catholic Church, New Holstein. The Rev. Ralph Ilermsen will officiate with burial in Evergreen Cemetery, Manitowoc. Mr. Christel was born Sept. 16, 1883, at St. Nazianz, son of the late Wendel and Christina Kaiser Christel. He married Eva Gintner Feb. 18, 1908, at Clarks Mills. He was a blacksmith at Quarry and Collins from 1910 to 1943 and was employed at Manitowoc Shipbuilding, Inc. from 1942 to 1952. Mrs. Christel preceded him in death June 17, 1946. He was a member of Holy Rosary Church. Survivors include a son, Leo, of Reedsville, three daughters, Mrs. Earl (Lila) Ninmer and Mrs. Edward (Evelyn) Kautzer, of New Holstein and Mrs. Fred (Marjorie) Rathert, of Brookfield; two brothers, Joseph, of St. Nazianz and Max of rural Kiel; a sister, Mrs. William Rappel, of St. Nazianz. 14 grandchildren and 18 great grandchildren. A son, two daughters, a grandson and a great grandson preceded him in death. Friends may call at Erbe-Evjer Funeral Home after 4 p.m. Friday. GERALDINE CHRISTEL (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) February 22, 1943 Postulant At Convent Passes Away Saturday Cleveland, Wis. - Geraldine Christel, 16, a postulant at St. Francis convent at Bay Settlement, near Green Bay, passed away Saturday night at St. Vincent hospital, Green Bay. Miss Christel was born September 7, 1926, in Manitowoc county, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Christel. Her mother, the former Ella Hertel, preceded her in death. She attended St. Fidelis parochial school at Spring Valley and entered St. Francis convent September 8, 1941, and was made a postulant on December 8, 1942. Survivors are her father and step-mother of Valders; two sisters, Mrs. Dean (Marion) Welsch of Manitowoc and Betty of Spring Valley; her grandfather, William F. Christel of Valders; and her grandmother, Mrs. Robert Hertel of Spring Valley, with whom she resided until the time she entered the convent. Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 9 a.m. at the St. Francis convent at Bay Settlement and burial will take place at the convent cemetery. Friends may call at the convent from this evening until the time of the services. HENRY C. CHRISTEL (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) From the Fond Du Lac Reporter, May 18, 1972 Henry C. Christel Henry C. Christel, 88, of 2126 Calumet Drive, New Holstein, a retired Town of Schleswig farmer, died Wednesday at Calumet Memorial Hospital at Chilton. He was a patient there three weeks. He was born Jan. 8, 1884, in the Town of Eaton, Manitowoc County, a son of the late Richard and Mary Stahl Christel. On Nov. 29, 1923, he married Adela Rusch of Milwaukee at Waukegan, Ill. The couple lived in the St. Nazianz area for several years and later located on a farm in the Town of Shleswig. Mrs. Christel died Dec. 5, 1937. He retired in 1956 and moved to New Holstein in 1963. Survivors include one son and one brother, Edward, of Kiel. He was preceded in death by 11 brothers and sisters. Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Friday from Meiselwitz Funeral Home at Kiel, with the Rev. John F. Baumann, pastor of St. Peter United Church of Christ, Kiel, officiating. Burial will be in Union Cemetery at Milwaukee. Friends may call at the funeral home from 4 to 9 p.m. today and until the hour of services Friday. -------------- From the Sheboygan Press, May 17, 1972 HENRY C. CHRISTEL (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) Henry C. Christel, 88, of 2126 Calumet Dr., New Holstein, a retired Town of Schleswig farmer, died today at Calumet Memorial Hospital where he was a patient for three weeks. He was born Jan. 8, 1884 in the Town of Eaton, Manitowoc County, son of the late Richard and Mary Stahl Christel. On Nov. 29, 1923 he married Adela Rusch of Milwaukee at Waukegan, Ill. The couple lived in the St. Nazianz area for several years and later located on a farm in Schleswig. Mrs. Christel died Dec. 5, 1937 (her obit has 1939. He retired in 1956 and moved to New Holstein in 1963. Survivors are a son, Harlan, New Holstein, and a brother, Edward, Kiel. Eleven brothers and sisters preceded him in death. Funeral services will be Friday at 11 a.m. at the Meiselwitz Funeral Home, Kiel, the Rev. John F. Baumann, pastor of St. Peter United Church of Christ, Kiel, officiating. Burial will be in Union Cemetery, Milwaukee. Friends may call at the funeral home from 4 to 9 p.m. Thursday and until the hour of services Friday. ---------------- From the Sheboygan Press, Dec. 6, 1939 Mrs. Christel Called To Rest Here On Sunday (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) Kiel - Mrs. Henry C. Christel, 45, a resident of the town of Schleswig, passed away at St. Nicholas hospital in Sheboygan at 1:45 a.m. Sunday, after a three months' illness. Mrs. Christel was born on Nov. 28, 1892, in Milwaukee, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Otto Rusch. She was united in marriage with Henry C. Christel of the town of Schleswig on Nov. 30, 1923. After their marriage, the couple lived at St. Nazianz for three years and then moved to the town of Schleswig where they have resided since. She is survived by her husband, one son, Harlas, at home; one sister, Mrs. Herman Lentz of Wauwatosa; and her parents in Milwaukee. Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the C.J. Meiselwitz Funeral home here. The Rev. A. George Schmid, pastor of St. John's Evangelical and Reformed church, New Holstein, will officiate and burial will be made in Union cemetery, Milwaukee. ISIDOR CHRISTEL (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) The Isidor H. Christels Are Married 60 Years The gathering at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Isidor H. Cristel, 620 St. Paul St., Kiel, at which the immediate family was present, marked the couple's 60th anniversary on Oct. 11, the date of the wedding. Both celebrants were born in Manitowoc County and have been life-long residents of that area. Mr. Christel is the eldest member of the family of the late Mr. and Mrs. William F. Christel of Valders, Township of Schleswig, where his birth occurred on July 8, 1883. His wife, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Gregor Jerger, was born on March 20, 1882 in School Hill, Town Meeme. Church affiliation of the Christels is with St. Peter and Paul congregation in Kiel. The bride of six decades ago is a member of Christian Mothers Society of the parish. Eleven sons and daughters were born to the couple and are the following: Mrs. Robert (Irma) Biederwolf, Brillion; Mrs. Norman (Edna) Orth, Kiel; Victor Christel, Manitowoc; Roman Christel, Sheboygan; Arnold Christel, New Holstein; Lawrence and Eugene Christel, both of Kiel; John Christel, La Crosse, Raymond, James and Omer Christel, all residents of Kiel. Numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren also are in the family. The Sheboygan Press, Friday, October 23, 1964 WILLIAM CHRISTEL (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) From the Sheboygan Press March 19, 1973 William (Sonny) Christel, 60, of 2310 Illinois Ave., New Holstein, died Sunday morning at Calumet Memorial Hospital, Chilton, where he had been for nine weeks. He was president of Christel and Ninmer, Inc. at New Holstein, an automobile and farm implement dealership. A resident of New Holstein the past 27 years, Mr. Christel was born at Quarry (Manitowoc County) on March 22, 1912, a son of Ernst (Hugo) and the late Eva Gintner Christel. He attended Quarry and Clark Mills schools. Mr. Christel had been a mechanic for 33 years. On Oct. 8, 1938 he married Laverna Kissinger at St. Mary Catholic Church, Clark Mills. He was a member of Holy Rosary Catholic Parish, New Holstein, and the New Holstein Association of Commerce. Survivors are his widow; his father, a resident of the Calumet Homestead in New Holstein; a daughter, four grand- children; a brother, Leo of Taus; four sisters, Mrs. Martin Andrastek of Manitowoc, Mrs. Earl Ninmer and Mrs. Edmund Kautzer, both of New Holstein, and Mrs. Fred Rathert of Milwaukee. A sister preceded him in death. Funeral Mass will be a(sic) 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Holy Rosary Church with the Rev. Ralph Hermsen, pastor, celebrant. Burial will be in the parish cemetery. Brief family rites will precede Mass at 10 a.m. at the Erbe-Evjen Funeral Home, New Holstein. Friends may call at the funeral home after 3:30 p.m. Tuesday until the time of services. Service of the wake will be at 8 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home. WILLIAM F. CHRISTEL (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) W.F. Christel Of Valders Has Birthday Party Manitowoc - William F. Christel, well known Valders businessman, celebrated his 77th birthday with a large gathering of friends and relatives at his home Monday night. More that 500 persons were in attendance. Mr. Christel, who has 13 children, 70 grandchildren and 24 great-grandchildren, started his business career in St. Nazianz at the age of 25, when he and his brother-in-law, Herman Lueloff, bought a sawmill and box factory. In 1900 he moved to Valders where he started a general store. Mr. Christel opened a pea cannery in St. Nazianz, Valders and Hilbert, and now owns controlling interest in them. He also went into the oil business and is now president of the Valders bank. Besides is business activities, Mr. Christel has found time to invent a pea texture meter, pea grader, bean filler, pea podder, bean cutter and many other gadgets. He is now a member of the Canned Pea Marketing Co-operative committee on economics and industry. Though 77 years of age, Mr. Christel's health is excellent and to prove it he executed a number of fancy dance steps at his party Monday night. The Sheboygan Press, Wednesday, November 16, 1938 ----------------------- William Christel, Prominent Valders Man, 77 Years Old Manitowoc. - W.F. Christel, Valders, prominent banker and manufacturer, celebrated his 77th birthday at his home with several hundred guests Monday night. Since starting out in Valders at the age of 25, Mr. Christel has been a leader in civic and business life. He now heads canning plants at Valder(sic), Hilbert and St. Nazianz, the Valders garage, general store and implement compnay, is president of the Valder(sic) State bank and Valders-Collins Oil company. The Sheboygan Press, Tuesday, November 15, 1938 HANS CHRISTENSEN From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 526 Wines, liquors, and cigars, 103 South Eighth Street, Manitowoc, was born March 26, 1852 in Denmark. In 1870 he came to Milwaukee; in 1872 removed to Two Creeks and worked for Pfister & Vogel, at their tannery six years. In 1878 he came to Manitowoc and commenced this business. Married in 1873 to Emma Burmaster, of Manitowoc County. They have three sons. CHRISTIAN CHRISTIANSON From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, July 20, 1871: Found Dead - A man called Christian Christianson, employed on the railroad near the Branch, was found dead in his bed at his boarding house last Thursday night. It appears he was complaining of illness about 4 o'clock in the afternoon and had quit work and went to bed. During the evening some of the men happening to think of him, went to his room and found him dead as above stated. A coroner's inquest was held at the Branch on Friday, before Squire Mason, by Dr. Simon, examining physician, and a verdict was rendered that he came to his death from apoplexy, caused by drinking too much cold water. He was a native of Norway and had been in this country only about four weeks. JACOB CHRISTOFFEL From the Two Rivers Reporter, Saturday, June 28, 1913: OLD TIMERS column. (picture with article) Husband and wife living together for fifty three years in peace and happiness is the case of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Christoffel. Three years ago they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. Jacob arrived at Two Rivers from Germany in May 1853. He says there were no houses on the South Side when he arrived except two or three little shacks near the pier. All the now populous district of the south-side was shrubs and swamp and woods. Mr. Christoffel remained here but a short time and then obtained employment at the saw mill in Neshoto. Two Rivers and Neshoto were at that time part of the town of Two Rivers. Just after their marriage the Christoffel's took charge of a lumber shanty at Denmark a short distance north of Neshoto. She did the cooking and he worked in the woods with the other men. There was an Indian settlement near there. One of the Indians who lived there, a leader of the band of Chippewas often made visits to this place. He was "Old Kadoose." Many people of middle age will remember him. This Indian and others often came to Mr. Christoffel's shanty and went away with a good measure of pork and beans and other eatables given them. The life among these indians and the woodsmen with the howling of wolves around the shanty at night was not a very pleasant one. But such was the life of the pioneer in the early days. About 1862 the Christoffel's went to Neshoto and soon after he having obtained employment at the chair factory, they moved to Two Rivers. Their belongings consisting of 4 or 5 chairs, a stove, a bed and some kitchen utensils were loaded on a scow and the scow was pushed down the river to this place with pike poles. The pioneer was content with very little in the line of household furniture as compared to present day requirements. Mr. Christoffel worked thirty years in the chair factory. He worked until its close in 1895 with the exception of a few years when he was pathmaster. His wages were meager but by practicing frugality characteristic of the early German settlers, he saved a snug sum with which he was able to build him a home and lay aside considerable for a rainy day. But when the Two Rivers Manufacturing Company went bankrupt he lost over $1,000. He like many others had placed implicite confidence in the soundness of "the company." Mr. Christoffel was the twelfth child of the family of which he is the only surviving member. His hearing and sight are very good but he is otherwise very infirm and is forced to lie in bed most of the time. His mind is clear. He informed the Reporter that he is ready to die and expects to die very soon. ANDREW CHRISTOPHERSON (this was in the family bible sent in by a researcher/see contributors page)
Andrew Christopherson and Louisa Rathsack wedding certificate
ANTON CIZEK (Photos and info from reseacher/see contributors page)
Anton B. and Anna (Stastny) Cizek. Anton is the son of Jan and Alzbeta (Cermak) Cizek and Anna is the daughter of John and Mary (Spevacek) Stastny.
Joseph And Mary (Shara) Cizek
The tallest one, 2nd from right, is Mary (Shara) Cizek. The rest are unknown.
Joseph The Beekeeper
JOSEPH CIZEK (Photos and info from reseacher/see contributors page)
Joseph And Rose Cizek, 8 May 1895 Maternal great-grandparents, parents of Clara (Cizek) Krainik, wife of Otto
Front of Postcard
Back of Postcard
Four generations pictured.
ANTHONY J. CLARK This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.82-83. Anthony J. Clark, clerk of the circuit court of Manitowoc county, who has been identified with industrial and public affairs of this section for many years, belongs to one of Manitowoc county’s old and honored pioneer families and was born in Liberty township in 1864, a son of Anthony and Bridget (Welsh) Clark. Anthony Clark was born in Ireland, a son of Jeremiah Clark, who brought his family to the United States in 1823, settling in Buffalo, New York, where his death occurred. Anthony Clark was married in Buffalo about 1851 and two years later came by sailing vessel to Chicago and thence overland to Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, homesteading government land in Liberty township. His brother, Darby Clark, also came to Liberty township at that time and purchased land here, there being only one other family in the township then—the Stephenson family—and but few families in the whole county. Wild game was to be found in plenty, and Mr. Clark, after much trouble, succeeded in bringing two pigs to his farm all the way from Kenosha, only to have them stolen by the wolves shortly afterward. Anthony Clark was a great friend of education, was active in establishing new schools, and he was also well known in democratic politics. His brother Darby, before mentioned, was the first clerk of Liberty township and held that office for many years. Mr. Clark died in 1888, and his widow survived him until April, 1896. They were the parents of nine children, as follows: John, who is engaged in the real-estate and loan business in Sioux City, Iowa; Martin, a fruit grower of Menlo Park, California; Michael, an employe of the Grand Trunk Railway, residing at St. Paul, Minnesota; Bridget, who married Patrick O’Neill, a farmer of Newton township; James, an engineer of the Northwestern Railroad, residing at Green Bay; Anthony J.; Patrick, a conductor on the Milwaukee street car lines; Mary, who married Lawrence O’Grady, a farmer of Meeme township; and Catherine, a professional nurse of Milwaukee. Anthony J. Clark received a public-school education and later attended the State University Agricultural School, making a specialty of studying cheese and butter making. He embarked in that business in 1886 and continued therein for eleven years. In 1893 he was appointed state cheese and butter instructor. From February, 1896, until January 1, 1909, he was in the employe of Schuette Brothers, and in the latter year was elected clerk of the circuit court and for his excellent and faithful services during his first term was presented with a handsome watch. In the fall of 1910 he was elected to the same office by a majority of one thousand, eight hundred and ten votes. On October 26, 1886, Mr. Clark was married to Agnes Peppard, a daughter of Thomas and Mary Peppard, the former of whom came to Meeme township in 1847 with his father, James Peppard, from Ohio, James Peppard was the first white settler in that township and was the first white person buried there. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Clark, namely: Edwin, who is deputy clerk of the circuit court; John, who is engaged in school teaching; and Mary, Walter and Fintan, at home. Mr. and Mrs. Clark are members of the Catholic church, and he is a member of the Foresters, is president of this branch of the Catholic Knights and is a member of the Knights of Columbus, of which his son Edwin is financial secretary. He also holds membership in the National Fraternal League. Mr. Clark has always interested himself in educational work and was school clerk while a resident of Newton township. OSCAR E. CLARK (From the Manitowoc Pilot, 23 Sept. 1875) Married - At the Windiate House in this city, this morning at 11 o'clock, by the Rev. Joseph De Forrest, Miss Augusta E. Wallis to Mr. Oscar E. Clarke of Two Rivers. The Happy couple leave on the noon train for a short wedding trip, carrying with them the good wishes for their future life of their many friends and acquaintances. No invitations were extended except to the near relatives of the bride and groom. JOHN H. CLASEN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.238-238. Among the native sons of Manitowoc county who yet remain within its borders is John H. Clasen, who was born June 13, 1864, on the farm in Newton township on which he now resides. His grandfather, John Clasen, Sr., a native of Germany, came to the United States in 1856, accompanied by his wife, Frederica (Free) Clasen and three children, John, Jr., the father of our subject, Louisa and Sophia. Mr. Clasen settled in Newton township, where he purchased a farm upon which he resided until within four years of his death, which occurred in 1900, at the age of ninety-two. John Clasen, Jr., was born in 1834 and was twenty-two years of age when he came to this county. He also bought a farm in Newton township, which is the home where the subject of this sketch now lives. For a time after his arrival in America he worked in Illinois, being able to secure better wages in that state. While there he met Miss Maria Buchholz, whom he married in 1861. She was a native of Hanover, Germany, and came to America with a sister, settling in Illinois. After his marriage the father resided on his farm in Newton township until 1893, when he sold the same to his son, John H., of this review, and he now lives on a small tract of adjoining land, being practically retired. In his family were five children, two of whom are deceased, namely: Sophia, who died at the age of nine months; and Louisa, who died at the age of twenty-two years. Those living are John H., Frederica and Johanna. John H. Clasen received his education in the district schools and in the parochial school, and at the age of fifteen he learned the carpenter’s trade, which he followed until 1893. At that date he bought his present farm, which he has since operated. Besides farming he engages extensively in the bee industry and is considered an authority on bees in this county. He is treasurer of the English Lake Telephone Company and president of the Newton Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company, having held the latter office since 1908. In 1887 Mr. Clasen wedded Miss Louisa Lemke, who was born in Liberty township. She is a daughter of Michael and Wilhelmina Lemke, the father a native of Pomerania and the mother of Saxony. The parents on coming to the United States settled in Liberty township. To Mr. and Mrs. Clasen have been born four children, Maria, Adolph, Herman and Matilda. In politics Mr. Clasen belongs to the democratic party and he has served for two years as township treasurer. Both he and Mrs. Clasen are members of the German Lutheran church at Newton. Progressive and energetic, Mr. Clasen makes a thorough study of whatever he undertakes, and this fact has made him a successful farmer, an authority on the keeping of bees, and prominent among the business men of his community. REINHOLD CLUSEN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.29. Agricultural methods in Manitowoc county have changed to a remarkable degree in the last decades, and the successful farmer of today is one who studies land conditions, pays attention to crop rotation, and brings into the operation of his property the latest power farming machinery. Reinhold Clusen, a scientific farmer of the town of Manitowoc Rapids, is a son of William Clusen, a native of the fatherland who came to the United States in 1850 with his father, being at that time three years of age. Henry and Eleanor Clusen, the grandparents, brought five children to the United States, Elizabeth, Flora, Henry, Ernst and William, and another son, Robert, was born in Wisconsin. Locating in the town of Kossuth, the family took up unbroken land, and here the grandfather died at the age of forty-eight years. William Clusen worked on the Kossuth property until he was thirty-one years of age, at which time he bought land across the line from that farm in Manitowoc Rapids, and a few years later purchased the property which is now being operated by his son Reinhold, where he died in 1895. He married Johanna Pitz, daughter of Nicholas and Julia Pitz, who came to the United States from Germany in 1852. Mrs. Clusen died on this farm, April 4, 1911. Reinhold Clusen was born April 1, 1882, on the farm that had just been purchased by his father. He secured a common-school education, and when he was twenty-two years of age he took a course at the State Agricultural College at Madison, spending two winters there. In 1910 he purchased the home farm, on which he has always resided, and he is operating it along scientific lines. He is considered one of the enterprising and up-to-date agriculturists of his section and is an excellent judge of stock and farming conditions. He is a progressive republican and for two years he has served very acceptably as path-master. AUGUST COCHENET This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.251-252. August Cochenet, the popular proprietor of the Mishicot Home, one of the well known hostelries of Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, was born in Gibson township, Manitowoc county, April 1, 1866, and is a son of Joseph and Catherine (Crittidon) Cochenet, natives of Switzerland. Mr. Cochenet's parents were married in Switzerland, in 1855 set sail for the United States with two children, an infant who died soon after coming to the new country, and a son, Emil. Locating in the town of Gibson, Manitowoc county, on eighty acres of wild land, Joseph Cochenet built a log cabin and log barn, and started to clear his land with an ox-team. Later he added forty acres to the farm and erected a substantial residence and other buildings, becoming one of the prominent men of his town, and serving as supervisor for a number of years. He died in 1891, while his widow still survives him at the age of seventy-eight years, residing in Oconto county. In politics Mr. Cochenet was a democrat, and he was a veteran of the Civil war, having served in Company H, Twenty-fifth Wisconsin Volunteers, during the latter part of the war. There were four sons and four daughters in the family, of whom three of the former and two of the latter are still living. August Cochenet received his education in the district schools of Gibson township, and at the age of twenty-three years purchased the old homestead, which he conducted for twelve years. He then sold the property and for two years worked at the trade of carpenter, at the end of which time he engaged as a driver for a delivery wagon of the Mishicot Brewery, a position he held for three years. About six years ago he purchased his present hotel, which is well known to the traveling public as the Mishicot Home, where the excellent service and home-like comforts have attracted a large patronage. In 1891 Mr. Cochenet was married to Mary Feley who was born in Gibson township, a daughter of Morris Feley, an early settler of that township, now deceased, and the following children have been born to this union: Walter, who is deceased; and Maggie, August, William, Mabel, Carrie, Raymond and Milton. Mr. Cochenet is of the Roman Catholic faith and in political matters votes the democratic ticket. JOSEPH EMIL COCHENNET The following was sent in by a family researcher/see contributors page. The biographical sketch about Joseph E. Cochenet from "History of Door County", page 137. Joseph E. Cochennet has won gratifying success as a farmer and has also been connected with industrial interests of Nasewaupee township. He was born in Gibson, Wisconsin, April 17, 1858, but his parents, who were of Swiss descent, passed the greater part of their lives in Manitowoc county. He received a public school education and in 1876, when about eighteen years old, came to Door county, where for four years he worked for A. W. Lawrence. In 1881 he invested his savings in one hundred and twenty acres of state land and erected a fine two story brick house, a large barn and other buildings and has also bought a farm for his son of two hundred and twenty acres on section 21, Nasewaupee township. The improvements on his place are thoroughly modern and everything is kept in the best of repair. His labors as a farmer have yielded him a competence and he is also a director and a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator at Sawyer. He likewise helped to organize the local telephone company and in the '90s erected a cheese factory in his locality. It was also due in part to his efforts that rural route N° 3 was secured. In the spring of 1881 Mr. Cochennet was married to Miss Ellen Lusier of Mishicot, Wisconsin, who was born in 1859. Their children are : Julia, who is now Mrs. John Mossemann, of Milwaukee; Louis, who is a farmer in Nasewaupee township; John, a resident of Oconto Falls; Adeline, the wife of John Schultise, of Nasewaupee township; and Oscar, Lucy, Elizabeth and Elmer, all of whom are at home. Mr. Cochennet endorses the principles of democratic party and for twenty- two years served as assessor while for one year he held the office of side supervisor. He has invariably discharged his official duties capably and conscientiously and the confidence reposed in him has been well merited. Fraternally he is connected with the Masonic Order and with the Eagles. In many ways his community has profited by his enterprise, sound judgement and public spirit and he is deservedly held in high esteem. My note : The right spelling was Joseph Emil Cochenet and every one called him by his middle name Emil. His parents (Joseph Marie Cochenet and Catherine Cretton) were born in Switzerland, but his paternal greatparents were French and maybe Joseph Emil was born in Switzerland and not in Gibson. Joseph Emil died in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, May 11, 1947. CAPTAIN DAVID M. COCHRANE From the Manitowoc Pilot January 2, 1919 CAPT. COCHRANE RETIRES Capt. David M. Cochrane, who succeeded the late Capt. Gilman as superintendent of the Goodrich fleet nineteen years ago has doffed the harness and gone into retirement. Capt. Franklin, who has been assistant superintendent will take his place. Capt. Cochrane has been actively connected with the lake marine probably longer than any man now in active service. He began over 60 years ago when a lad and served his apprentice-ship in the hey-doy(sic) of the gallant sailing ships. He was empolyed(sic) on the lakes when but nine years of age on a boat commanded by his father. At 16 years he was first mate of the brig "Pilgrim." He had before that been second mate on eight ships. His father had been master of Scotch ships for many years and the boy was a seaman in his cradle. Capt. David became a New York harbor pilot which he followed winters when lake navigation was closed. His first command was the schooner "Dick Somers" in 1863. He later commanded the schooners "Orkney Lass," "Bes Flint" and "Neshota." He then entered steam service as master of the big towing tug "Bismark" in 1871. When in the Bismark he made the first tow of barges from the head of Lake Michigan to Buffalo. Entering the services of the Engelmann line Capt. Cochrane commanded the steamers "Messenger," "Manistee," "Minneapolis," "Flora" and others of the fleet. As owner of the steamer John A. Dix he commanded her for sixteen years. He was manager of the World Fair Steamship Co. in 1893 and after the fair he joined the Goodrich fleet as a master. In 1900 he was appointed superintendent which position he has held with credit to himself, and to the advantage of his employers, until now. A superb seaman and officer, and efficient manager and, withal, a man of surpassing magnetism and deserved popularity goes into retirement. Almost the last, if not the last, of the ante-bellum lake men goes over the side and the last view of him at work brings a pang to many who cherish memories of the romance of long ago on the Great Lakes with which his presence is still linked them. MISS CODY Miss Cody, a nice little school "mam" of the town of Liberty, had a pic-nic in the woods near the school house in which she is teaching, on the 25th inst. Miss Cody is a girl of taste, sensibility and refinement, and I am sure she spared no pains, on her part, to make the occasion a pleasant one for those who attended. She had pie and cake for the little ones, and "chat" for those of maturer years. --Hand Some From the Manitowoc County Chronicle Two Rivers Wisconsin, June 1875 CHARLES D. COLE Charles D. Cole, one of the very earliest pioneers of Sheboygan County, was born in Schenectady, N. Y., October 19, 1806, and was a son of Nathan and Chloe (Rowley) Cole. The subject of this sketch attended the public schools until sixteen years of age, and at intervals spent more or less time on the canal-boats. At sixteen he was made captain of a canal-boat and made his home in Cleveland, Ohio. During the running season he was employed on the canal, and in the winter in the warehouse of a Mr. Winslow. On the 22d of August, 1831, Mr. Cole was united in marriage at Ithaca, N. Y., with Miss Sarah W. Trowbridge. Mrs. Cole was born in Worchester, Mass., October 6, 1813, and was a daughter of Deacon William and Dorthea (Chapin) Trowbridge, of whom see sketch elsewhere in this work. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cole. The two elder were born in Cleveland, Ohio, and the younger members in Sheboygan County, Wis. George T., the eldest, married Emeline Rublee, and resides at Sheboygan Falls. William H. married Helen Brainard, and died on the 2d of October, 1862. James R. was born in Sheboygan Falls, May 25, 1837, and is said to have been the second white child born in Sheboygan County. He was twice married. His first wife was Rosella E. Moore, who died March 11, 1863, leaving one child, Rosella, now the wife of Stedman Thomas, of Sheboygan Falls. His second wife was Mary Giddings, a daughter of Charles Giddings. She died May 20, 1868, leaving one child a son, Willard C., an attorney of Sheboygan. James R. Cole died in Two Rivers, Wis., February 13, 1877. He served two years as a soldier in the late war for the Union. Nathan, the next in order of birth, resides in Sheboygan. (See sketch.) Charlotte is the wife of Charles A. Spencer, of Wapaca, Wis. Hattie, the youngest of the family, died in childhood. Mr. Cole became the owner of some canal-boats, which he ran successfully until 1836, when he sold out and, with his family, removed to Wisconsin Territory, then almost an unbroken wilderness. They went by sailing-vessel up the Lakes, and in 1836 landed near the mouth of the Sheboygan River, on the site of the present city of Sheboygan. They camped at first on the beach, where they built a shanty of slabs, but shortly afterwards removed to the Sheboygan House, which had but just been completed. Without much delay, he and Mr. Farnsworth built a warehouse, where they engaged in merchandising and buying furs of the Indians. Their goods and provisions were brought in boats from Milwaukee during the season of navigation. Sometimes birch-bark canoes were the only conveyance by water, while at other seasons trips were made by land to Milwaukee and return with ox-team and wagons. Mr. Cole made many trips to Milwaukee and returned in the manner described, enduring many hardships at times, both by water and land. The winter trip with oxen sometimes consumed two weeks. In 1836, Mr. Cole was appointed Postmaster at Sheboygan, while keeping hotel, he being one of the first to hold that office in the territory embraced by the county of Sheboygan. On the organization of Sheboygan County, Mr. Cole was chosen the first Register of Deeds, and went to Green Bay, Brown County, where he made a transcript of the records pertaining to the new county. He was a Whig in politics in the days of that party, and joined the Republican party on its organization in 1856. In 1838 Mr. Cole removed to Sheboygan Falls, where he made his permanent home. He bought in that town three hundred and twenty acres, which contained considerable pine, that he cut and made into lumber and shingles. He became familiar with the location of many tracts of Government land in Sheboygan County, and entered a great deal of it for the early settlers, and for himself, buying and selling as opportunity afforded. In 1848, he built a sawmill on the Pigeon River, in what is now the town of Sheboygan, which he operated for a time. Later he bought the water power at Sheboygan Falls, where he owned and operated a sawmill and a gristmill. Both institutions proved of great use to the settlers, then rapidly opening up the wilds of Sheboygan County to civilization. Mr. Cole bought saw-logs from the farmers of both Sheboygan and Manitowoc Counties, the money they received from him being of great assistance in procuring teams, tools and household supplies in those early days. Much of the lumber he manufactured was rafted down the Sheboygan River to Sheboygan, where it was in demand for building purposes in that growing hamlet, or for shipment by vessels to Milwaukee and Chicago. At the same time, Mr. Cole carried on farming. He was aided by his sons in these various occupations, in which he was engaged until the close of his life. His death occurred March 20, 1867, at the age of sixty years. Mrs. Cole survived her husband, and died March 24, 1887, aged seventy-four years. She was a member of the Baptist Church, and a woman possessed of many excellencies of character. Other members of Mr. Cole's family joined him in Sheboygan shortly after he settled there. His brother, John Beekman Cole, who was also employed on the Erie Canal in early life, was one of the first conductors on the old Erie Railroad, the first railroad that was built from Albany to Buffalo, N. Y. He came to Sheboygan in 1845, and for a time was interested with Charles D. in milling on the Pigeon River, and was also engaged in farming, and in the grain business in Sheboygan. He was the first to keep the Beekman House, which was named after Mr. Cole, and was in its day the leading hotel of the Chair City. Mr. Cole was recognized as an active business man, of good repute. His death occurred January 27, 1886. In 1842, another brother, George C. Cole, arrived in Sheboygan, accompanied by his mother and sisters, Mary, Sarah and Clara. Mary, now deceased, was the wife of James L. Trowbridge, of whom see sketch; Sarah married Henry Willard, and resides in Ripon, Wis.; Clara is the wife of Hon. John E. Thomas, a banker of Sheboygan Falls. George C. Cole has continued to reside in Sheboygan, and is largely interested in real estate in the city and county. Charles D. Cole was liberal in his views regarding religion, and, while liberal in contributing toward the support of churches, was never associated with any church in particular. He was a man of broad views and kindly disposition. A good business man, enterprising yet conservative, in the early settlement of Sheboygan County, he was unquestionably its most prominent and influential citizen. He did much to encourage emigration to this county, and to assist the early settlers in securing comfortable homes. His integrity was above question, and his course of life such as to command the respect and esteem of all with whom he had business or social relations. Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Sheboygan County, Wis. - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago, Page 695 ELA CONE ELA CONE, of Sheboygan, whose office is at No. 1801 Sixth Street, does an extensive business in moving houses. He was born in Lewis County, N. Y., February 10, 1843, and is a son of John and Mary (Fradenburgh) Cone, both natives of Oneida County, N. Y. The father was a carpenter and millwright, and also worked considerably at the business of house moving. He came to Wisconsin in 1850, locating in Lyons, Walworth County, and after living there a number of years removed to Janesville, where he died in 1890, at the age of seventy-seven years. His wife, whose death occurred in 1893, had attained the good old age of seventy-eight years. They were both members of the Methodist Church, and in politics he was a Republican. They were the parents of eleven children, two of whom died in infancy, and seven sons and two daughters are yet living. The subject of this record is the fifth in order of birth in his father's family. His education was obtained in the common schools, and from the age of sixteen he worked with his father and acquired a good knowledge of his trade. On the 15th of August, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Twenty-second Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, under Col. Utley, of Racine. He went to Cincinnati and Louisville, Ky., thence to Nashville and Franklin. In the battle of Spring Hill, Tenn., many of the Second Brigade, Second Division of the Twentieth Army Corps, were captured, but Mr. Cone, in company with some three hundred soldiers, made his escape under cover of the darkness. He was placed at Brentwood to guard Government supplies, and was there captured and sent to Libby Prison, Va. Very fortunately for him he was paroled at the end of eighteen days. The regiment was re-organized at St. Louis, and his next battle was at Resaca, where the gallant Twenty-second lost seventy-three men in about ten minutes. For about forty days he was under fire while on the Atlanta campaign, and on the 18th of June, 1864, while placing pickets near Kenesaw Mountain, he was wounded near the hip joint, a minie-ball passing from the front and glancing around the bone, being extracted at the back. He was sent to the field hospital at Nashville, and some four months later to Madison, Wis., but has never entirely recovered from the injury. He returned to Nashville, and thence to Chattanooga, where in the convalescent camp he was cut off by Hood, who was besieging Nashville. Railroads being torn up, they were obliged to go on short rations until relieved with fresh supplies. Later he joined his regiment with Sherman at Goldsboro, N. C. He remained with the Twenty-second until March 22, 1865, when he was mustered out. He received a commission dated March 16, 1865, as First Lieutenant of Company H, Fourteenth United States Colored Infantry, and was on detailed duty, having charge most of the time of the military prison at Knoxville, Tenn. He was present at the Grand Review in Washington, and on the 26th of March, 1866, when he was discharged, he had served three years and eight months. Mr. Cone returned to Walworth County, Wis., and engaged in the business of carpentering and house-moving. In the spring of 1867, he removed to Manitowoc, where he engaged in the same business for twenty years. Since 1887, he has been a resident of Sheboygan, and does the leading business in his line in the city. He has moved many wooden structures and three brick buildings since locating here. While a resident of Walworth County, Mr. Cone was married, August 9, 1866, to Miss Abbie R. Balcom, a native of that county. They have had five children: Clarence B., who is in the office of the Crocker Chair Company; Luella M., Blanche M., Charles H. and Harold Clyde. Mrs. Cone is a devoted member of the Methodist Church. For two terms our subject has served satisfactorily as Alderman in Manitowoc. Fraternally, he belongs to Gustav Wintermeyer Post No. 187, G. A. R., of which he is now Quartermaster, and he was formerly Commander of Walker Post No. 18, Manitowoc. Wintermeyer Post has given more than any other in the State for the Soldiers’ Home in Waukesha, Wis. Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Sheboygan County, Wis. - Published 1894 by Excelsior Publishing Co., Chicago, Page 408 JOSEPH CONNELL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.592-593. Joseph Connell, assessor of incomes for Calumet and Manitowoc counties, was born in Meeme township, Manitowoc county, July 30, 1865, and is a son of John and Margaret (Ryan) Connell, natives of County Clare and County Limerick, Ireland, respectively. Mrs. Connell came to the United States with her mother and Mr. Connell came here alone. They were married in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, whence they came to Meeme township in 1852, settling on wild land. Here with the help of neighbors Mr. Connell built a log house, after which he cleared his land and continued to engage in its cultivation until his death in 1886, his widow surviving him ten years. They were members of the Catholic church and the parents of nine children beside Joseph of this review: Michael, who is deceased; Patrick, residing in Manitowoc; William, who is deceased; Mary, who married Daniel Gillis, a farmer of Antigo, Wisconsin; Margaret, who is deceased; John, a civil engineer of Los Angeles, California; James, a physician and surgeon of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin: Sarah, deceased, who was a school teacher; and Daniel, a physician and surgeon of Beloit, Wisconsin. Joseph Connell received a common-school education and was reared on the home farm, on which he remained until 1909, when he sold out his interests and came to Manitowoc. For one year he was employed in the clothing department of 0. Torrison & Company and in the spring of 1910 he accepted the position of supervisor of assessments for Manitowoc county, a position which he held until January 20, 1912, upon which date he was appointed assessor of incomes under civil service for Calumet and Manitowoc counties. On June 16, 1896, Mr. Connell was united in marriage to Miss Nora Morris, of Liberty, a daughter of Bartley and Nora Morris, who came to this country from Ireland in the same year as did the Connell family. Both parents are now deceased. The members of their family were as follows: James, deceased; Mary, deceased, who was the wife of M. Broderick, of Chicago; Margaret, who married P. J. Whyte, of Newton, Wisconsin; Nora, who is the wife of Joseph Connell; Katherine, who married T. F. Branham, of Chicago; and Nellie, who was the wife of C. E. West, of Moline, Illinois, and is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Connell are devout members of the Catholic church and Mr. Connell holds membership in the Knights of Columbus. BERNARD CONWAY From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, July 6, 1871: Married - At the St. John's Cathedral, Milwaukee, July 4th, 1871, by the Rev. Mr. Donohue, Mr. Bernard Conway, of Manitowoc, and Miss Anna M. Keogh, of Milwaukee. We give place to the above notice with unalloyed pleasure, and tender to the young bride and bridegroom our heartfelt congratulations and sincerest good wishes for their well being and happiness, for we know of no man more highly deserving of a fair, refined and intelligent young bride than our esteemed friend. Ed.-all of which qualities he obtains possession of in the choice he has made of a partner for life May the smiles of heaven go sweetly with them through life's journey, and domestic comfort and serene felicity be theirs forever. ********** Manitowoc Tribune, Vol. 18 No. 12, Thursday, July 6, 1871, Page 4 Column 5 Married. Conway--Keogh--July 4th, 1881 [sic, misprint, pub date of paper is 1871], At St. Johns Cathedral, Milwaukee, by the Rev. Mr. Donahoe. Mr. Edward Conway, of Manitowoc to Miss Annie M. Keogh, of Milwaukee. No cards. EDWARD CONWAY From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, September 13, 1888: Edward Conway announces himself as a candidate for sheriff. He has been here twenty-one years, engaged in the grain business. Was the first one to establish a cash market in Manitowoc. During the time he has been here he paid out to farmers about six million dollars. He is looked on as a strong farmers candidate. HON. PATRICK J. CONWAY This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.530-531. Hon. Patrick J. Conway, who has been a resident of Meeme township, Manitowoc county, for more than fifty-five years, has taken a prominent part in the development of this section from an almost impenetrable pine forest to one of the garden spots of Wisconsin and has also been identified with public life here for some years. Mr. Conway was born in Geneseo, New York, February 11, 1849. His father, Charles Conway, was born in Ireland, April 18, 1812, and was married in that country, his wife, Celia Conway, being also a native of Ireland, born in 1813. They came to the United States in 1840, settling in New York. Of their ten children only three are now living. Charles Conway was a contractor on Erie canal work in New York state until 1856, in which year he moved to Meeme township, where he and his wife died several years ago, being buried in this township. Patrick J. Conway accompanied his parents from Geneseo to Buffalo, New York, and later to Gasport, in that state, and he received a common-school education in the schools of Meeme township, where the family arrived November 11, 1856. He was married, June 14, 1874, to Susan O’Grady, whose parents were born in Ireland and came to the United States in 1848, settling first in Claremont, New Hampshire, and moving to Meeme township in 1854, where Mr. O’Grady died, May 29, 1855. His wife passed away December 18, 1873. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Conway who are living in Wisconsin are as follows: Mary, aged thirty-five years; Celia, thirty-three; Agnes, twenty-eight; Susan, twenty-five; James, twenty-three; and Monica Rose, a teacher in Manitowoc. Mr. Conway was state representative from his district in 1891 and 1893 and was also employed by the department of the interior as timber estimator during President Cleveland’s second administration, but he has always maintained his residence here and has followed farming as a means of livelihood with the above exceptions. In political matters he is a democrat, and for fourteen years he was town clerk and for five or six years chairman of the board. He and Mrs. Conway are faithful members of the Catholic church. GEORGE COOPER The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 526 Firm of Truman & Cooper, merchant millers and wholesale dealers in flour, feed, hay, coal, etc., Manitowoc, is a native of England. Emigrated to America in 1855, and located at Neshota, Wis. There he was employed in the lumber business till 1863, when he, with Mr. Jones, bought the property, consisting of one steam mill, one water mill, and a large quantity of land, store, etc., and continued in the manufacture of lumber very successfully till 1877, when he removed to Manitowoc, and has since been a member of the above firm. JAMES CORLEW From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 535 Farmer, Branch Station. Has eighty acres of land in Sec. 6, forty-five acres improved. He was born in Springfield, Windsor County, Vt., Feb. 6, 1826. He lived in Vermont until he was seventeen years of age, then went to Ticonderoga, N. Y., and lived there, and in Crown Point ten years. He worked by the month at lumbering and farming and saw milling. He then went to Pennsylvania, and was there about a year and followed sawing. He then returned to Orwell Tp., Vt., and farmed a year, then moved to Sun Prairie, Wis., lived there a short time, and went to Medina Tp., Dane County, and farmed the following season, then moved to Manitowoc Rapids Township, and since has followed farming and lumbering. He also dealt considerably in improved stock horses. He was married in Orwell Tp., Vt., April 10, 1853, to Miss Evaline Pierce. She was born in that place Dec. 12, 1828. They have three children - Adelia S., Charles F. and Albert J. HENRY COUTLY From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 535 Farmer, Sec. 10, Manitowoc Rapids Township. Owns 68 acres, 62 improved. He was born in Cedar, Upper Canada, Nov. 14 1827. He settled in Neshota, Manitowoc County, May 14, 1851, worked in a saw mill and lumbered twelve years in succession, after which he lumbered in Winter, and in Summer farmed, since which he has made farming his exclusive business. He is one of the pioneers of this county. He was married in Neshota, Aug. 25, 1860 to Miss Henrietta Lehmann. She was born in Milwaukee, Aug. 13, 1833. They have three children living - Anna M., Ida M. and Flora R. Mary J., the second daughter, died. CAPTAIN ELMER W. CRAINE (From History of the Great Lakes by J.B. Mansfield p. 1899) Captain Elmer W. Craine, of Manitowoc, is one of the youngest captains on the lakes, but his ability and skill have already won him an enviable reputation. A believer in heredity might point to his case as an illustration of that theory, as his ancestors associated more or less closely with marine interests, and his grandfather was a teacher of the science of navigation. The ancestral home was at Douglas, in the Isle of Man, and Thomas Craine, our subject's grandfather, resided there throughout his early manhood. He was a man of unusual mental gifts, and his fame as an instructor in navigation was wide- spread. In the fall of 1842 he came to America, locating first at Painesville, Ohio, and after residing temporarily at various places he removed to Sand Beach, Mich., where he was among the earliest settlers. Craine's Point, in that vicinity, was named in honor of this family. After his arrival in America he gave his attention to fishing on an extensive scale, and at one time he owned several boats which were engaged in that business on the lakes. He and his wife, whose maiden name was Esther Gellon, had eleven children as follows: John, William, Daniel P., Charles, Margaret, Mary, Ann, Lydia, Nessie, Jane and Elizabeth. Capt. Daniel P. Craine, the father of our subject, is a native of Painesville, Ohio, but during his boyhood accompanied his father to Sand Beach. The steamer Northerner, on which the trip was made, was sunk near that point. He assisted his father in the fishing business until his marriage, and for some time afterward he ran a boat belonging to the latter, being engaged in fishing along the lakes from Traverse Bay to Pentwater, Mich., where he made his home. Later he bought the schooner Souvenir and engaged in the lumber trade, which he followed until the vessel was lost in 1872, with all on board, including Charles Craine, master, a brother of Daniel P. Craine, owner, who was at the time sailing the schooner North Star between various ports on Lake Michigan. For some time he was employed as a captain on various sailing vessels, viz.: - the bark Hamilton, the Souvenir, the North Star, the Beloit, the Moses Gage, the Lottie Wolf, a schooner, the James Mowatt, built by Wolf & Davidson, but in the spring of 1888 he took charge of the steamer Thomas Davidson, then newly launched. When the Fred Pabst was built he became the first captain, and in 1891 he left that boat to take charge of the Ferdinand Schlessinger, a new boat, of which he has ever since been captain. He is regarded as one of the most reliable and successful masters on the lakes, having never met with but one accident. His wife, Elizabeth Underhill, a native of Detroit, Mich., is a descendant of Queen Elizabeth, of Holland, and is also related to the family of Anneke Jans. They have three children: - Nellie, deceased; Elmer W., the subject proper of this sketch, and Arthur, a bookkeeper in Chicago. Elmer W. Craine, first saw the light March 17, 1865, at Pentwater, Mich. His mother died when he was nine years old, and as his father took him with him on his trips he had but few school advantages. His reading and observation have enabled him to gain a good store of information on general subjects, and since his marriage he has taken a course in Devlin's Business College, at Bay City, Mich., thus securing a practical business training. He remained with his father until he reached the age of nineteen when he shipped as second mate on the schooner Pewaukee, in which he sailed during the season of 1884. He then went as mate with his father on the James Mowatt, remaining during the seasons of 1885, 1886 and 1887, and in 1888 he was second mate on the steamer William H. Wolf, under Captain Thorp. In 1889 he was made master of the George H. Dyer, now the Hennepin, and during the next two seasons he was master of the William H. Wolf, then the largest boat on the lakes, while he was at the time the youngest captain. In 1892 he had a position in a hotel in Chicago, and in the following year he went to the Pacific coast, where he spent a season as first mate on the steamer Libbie Thompson, a Puget Sound steamer, plying on the coast as far north as Juneau. In 1894 he returned to the lakes and during the summer and fall was employed as mate on the steamer Josephine, under Captain Massie, and the Fred Pabst, under Captain Young. In 1895 and '96 he served as mate with his father on the Ferdinand Schlessinger, and in 1897 he became captain of the John Duncan. In the winter of that year he was captain of the Pere Marquette, and during the season of 1898 was master of steamer John Duncan. HON. ISAAC CRAITE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.84-87. Hon. Isaac Craite, formerly judge of the municipal court of Manitowoc, exmember of the state legislature, and now one of the leading members of the Manitowoc county legal profession, was born at Manitowoc Rapids, Wisconsin, April 26, 1856, and is a son of Eusebe and Zoe (Ruelle) Craite. Eusebe Craite came to Manitowoc county in 1849, and Mrs. Craite with her parents, from Canada, about 1850, and they were married in this county, after which Mr. Craite purchased about one hundred acres of government land. He became one of the leading agriculturists of his section, and was prominent in democratic politics, serving in various township offices. He was interested in educational and religious work and assisted to build the first Catholic church in Manitowoc county, which was also one of the first in the state, and served for a number of years as a member of the school board. In his latter years he moved to Mishicot, Wisconsin, where his death occurred, while his widow still survives, being eighty-one years of age and making her home with her son, Judge Craite. They had a family of ten children, seven sons and three daughters, and of these eight are still living. Isaac Craite received his education in a log schoolhouse situated four miles from his home, and later attended Oshkosh normal school, after graduating from which he received a certificate to teach, and from 1877 until 1885 was engaged in educational work. In the latter year he engaged in the mercantile business at Mishicot, and while there was elected township clerk and justice of the peace. He read law by himself, and during 1887-9 was a member of the state legislature, and in 1890 was admittted to the Manitowoc county bar, before which he has been practicing ever since. The high esteem in which he was held by his fellow townsmen was evidenced by his election, in 1895, as the first judge of the municipal court at Manitowoc, and he served ably and efficiently in that office for six years, since which time he has given his entire attention to his large law practice. Judge Craite was married December 29, 1879, to Miss Addie Fortier, who was born in Centralia, Wisconsin, a daughter of Nelson and Martha (Johnson) Fortier, early settlers of Manitowoc. Judge Craite is a popular and prominent member of the Elks.
Hon. Isaac Craite
******** "Blue Book Of The State Of Wisconsin" by Wisconsin, Thomas Jefferson Cunningham, Industrial Commission of Wisconsin, Thomas Jefferson, Wisconsin State Printing Board, Wisconsin Dept.of State Copyright 1889 Page 511 Manitowoc County. Second District - The towns of Coopertown, Gibson, Franklin, Kossuth, Maple Grove, Mishicott, Two Rivers, Two Rivers City, Two Creek in Manitowoc county, and towns of Franklin and Carllon in Kewaunee county. Population, 1885-18,895. ISAAC CRAITE (Dem.), of Mishicot, Manitowoc county, was born at Manitowoc Rapids, Manitowoc county. Wisconsin, April 25,1856; attended the common school and high school at Manitowoc city, and one term at the Oshkosh Normal School; is by profession a merchant and justice of the peace; moved to Mishicot in 1875, and has resided there ever since; was elected town clerk of the town of Mishicot, in the spring of 1880, and held that position until 1886; was elected justice of the peace in the spring of 1880, and has held that position ever since; taught school for eight years previous to 1882; was delegate to the democratic state convention in 1884, and to the congressional convention in 1884 and 1886; in 1886 was elected to the assembly from the second assembly district of Manitowoc county, and re-elected in 1888, receiving 2,426 votes, against 637 votes for H. Riley, republican, and 43 votes for A. Danforth; 6 votes for H. Rushuke, and 3 votes for J. Wery. JOHN M. CROCKER John M. Crocker, senior member of the firm of Crocker & Hudnutt, architects, contractors and builders, and proprietors of the Falcon planing mill, has been a resident of Big Rapids since 1875. He is a son of Wm. H. and Mary A. (Holloway) Crocker, and was born in the city of London, Eng., July 28, 1848. His parents came to the United States when he was two years old, and went to Milwaukee, Wis., where his father operated as an architect and builder until 1858, putting up some of the principal buildings of the "Cream City." In the year named the family removed to a farm in Manitowoc, Wis., where the parents yet reside. Mr. Crocker naturally inclined to mechanical arts, and at 12 years of age commenced to prepare for the vocation of his father, in whose shop he was trained seven years, meanwhile obtaining an education. He first went to the union school at Milwaukee, and afterwards to the common school at Manitowoc, and also attended the union school at Ypsilanti, Mich. The civil war broke out when he was 13 years old; and the consequent discussion of the absorbing topic, and intense feeling which prevaded all classes at the North, aroused the boy's spirit, and in June 1864, he enrolled at Manitowoc as a private soldier in Company G, 39th Wisconsin Vol Inf., under Capt. Patchen. He was in the service six months and participated in several engagements. His regiment was detailed to guard Memphis, and was involved in some severe skirmishes with the rebel Gen. Forrest. He was discharged at Milwaukee. When 19 years old he went to Grand Rapids and commenced his career as a contractor; remained eight years and left a substantial record of his work there in the form of a number of fine buildings. During the period of his residence at Grand Rapids, he fulfilled a number of contracts for stair-building in Chicago. On coming to Big Rapids in 1875 he at once entered upon the prosecution of his trade, and erected the brick school-house and the magnificent dwelling of Thomas D. Stimson, corner of Elm Street and Warren Avenues, now owned by Wiltre Stickney. He also constructed the building for the Northern National Bank. Not long after locating here he formed a partnership with E. W. Hudnutt, bought the planing mill of C.S. Hanks, and commenced the manufacture of of sash, doors, blinds, mouldings and building materials generally. Their rapidly extending business has necessitated two additions to the establishment. As evidences of the enterprise and architectural skill of the firm, Big Rapids boasts of the Smith Block, the Northern Hotel, Hood, Gale & Co.'s Block, Telfer, Morrissey & Stickney's Block, and Furniture Block, Fairman & Newton's Block, the Mercy Hospital, Moody and Moore's Livery Stables, and a number of fine residences. They employ at this writing 53 men, and find demand wholly for their products within the limits of the State. Mr. Crocker was married at Coldwater, Mich., Dec. 23, 1877, to Dora A. Stout, a native of the State of New York. He was a member of the School Board at Big Rapids, two years, and belonged to the Common Council the same length of time. Taken from the 1883 Mecosta County Portrait & Bio Album, Chapman Bros., Chicago THOMAS R. CROCKER Thomas R. Crocker, overseer for Crocker, Hudnutt & Co., builders at Big Rapids was born at Milwaukee, Wis., March 18, 1854. He is a son of William H. and Mary (Holloway) Crocker. When he was four years old his parents removed to Manitowoc, Wis., where his father was engaged in the occupation of a builder, and constructed several fine buildings there and at Milwaukee, being also engaged in building steamer cabins for Goodrich, Ward and Co., at Manitowoc. Mr. Crocker was a school-boy until 14 years of age, when he commenced learning his father's trade, which has been the calling of his life. He came to Big Rapids in 1874, and was for a time connected with his brother to building. When the firm of Crocker and Hudnutt was formed in 1877, he took charge of their outside business, and has since supervised the construction of a number of the principal buildings of the City of Big Rapids. Taken from the 1883 Mecosta County Portrait & Bio Album, Chapman Bros., Chicago
DAVID CRONIN From the Manitowoc Pilot, 29 April 1875: In Probate - Manitowoc County Court In the matter of the estate of David Cronin deceased. On reading and filing the petition of John Cronin of Iowa representing among other things that David Cronin late of said County died intestate, leaving goods, chattels, and estate within this State of Wisconsin and that William Cronin of Butler County, Iowa is the administrator of the estate of said deceased, and praying that said William Cronin be removed as such administrator for the reason that said William Cronin is a non-resident and that administration of said estate be to Don A. Shove be granted, it is ordered that said petition be heard before the Judge of this Court, on Monday, the 10th day of May, A.D. 1875, at 10 o'clock A.M. at my office in said county. (the rest consists of publishing rules) T.G. Olmsted, County Judge JOHN CRONIN From the Manitowoc Pilot, February 29, 1872: State of Wisconsin - County of Manitowoc, ss: Probate office, Feb. 23, A.D. 1872. In the matter of the proof and probate of the last will and testament of John E. Cronin, deceased, late of the county of Manitowoc. Whereas an instrument in writing, purporting to be the last will and testament of John E. Cronin, deceased, late of the county of Manitowoc has been filed in this office, and whereas application has been made by James Cronin, praying that the same be proven and admitted to probate according to the laws of this state: Therefore it is ordered that said application be heard before me at the probate office in the city of Manitowoc in said county, on the 25th day of March, A.D. 1872, at 10 o'clock a.m. (rest of notice is publishing rules) ************* Manitowoc Tribune Vol. 18 No. 44 February 15, 1872 Page 4 Column 6 Obituary. It becomes our painful duty to record the death of one of our best citizens in the prime of life and in the midst of great usefulness. John Cronin died at his residence in Maple Grove, last Friday, Feb. 9th, at the age of 27 years, of consumption, leaving behind his mourning parents loving, now disconsolate, young wife and two small children. John, whom we have known and respected from his boyhood up, learned the printer's trade in he[sic] Pilot office, then was employed for a long time in the Paper Warehouse of Hon. J.A. Noonan, in Milwaukee, and returned about four years ago to this county, where he started a country store in Maple Grove, and had soon established a thriving and profitable business; he was appointed Post Master at Maple Grove and honored with all the public offices he was willing to accept. But that insidious destroyer soon made itself felt by its victim, who, bravely bore and finally resignedly yielded to its deadly influence. (NOTE: There is a John Cronin in cem. #55 who died on this date, but the age is way off, so I'm putting this in with the entry above instead of as an obit.) JOHN R. CURRENS, M. D. This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.141-142. There is no better known figure in the medical profession of Manitowoc county than John Randolph Currens who has been engaged in practice in Two Rivers for more than thirty years, during which time he has not only been appointed to positions of honor and trust in his profession, but has also been one of the leading men in civic affairs of his community. Born January 26, 1855, in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, Dr. Currens is a son of Charles M. and Ann Eliza (Randolph) Currens, natives of Pennsylvania, the latter being, through Nathaniel Randolph, a descendant of the Fitz-Randolphs. In 1860 the parents of Dr. Currens moved to Plymouth, Illinois, where the father became interested in political circles, serving the town as president of the council. John Randolph Currens was only seven years of age when his mother died, and he secured his preliminary education in the schools of Plymouth, the high school there and the college at Carthage, Illinois. He taught school for a short time, and in 1873 began studying medicine under Dr. Sapp, of Plymouth, two years later entering Rush Medical College, Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1878. In April of the same year he came to Two Rivers, where he has since carried on an extensive practice. Dr. Currens belongs to that old school of physicians, so rapidly disappearing, that are ready to sacrifice themselves in every way for their patients, answering calls at any time of the day or night, driving far into the country, and making themselves generally beloved by all who know them, not only as physicians, but as counsellors and friends. His abilities have been recognized in various ways and he has served as president of the Manitowoc County Medical Society and the Wisconsin State Medical Society, holding each office for one year. For eight years he was a member of the Wisconsin State Board of Medical Examiners and for six years of that time its president. He was one of the organizers and the first president of the American Confederation of Reciprocating Medical Licensing and Registering Boards and the local health officer for twenty years. From 1905 until 1909 he served Two Rivers as mayor, was president of the State Municipal League in 1908, and has always taken an active part in republican politics. In 1882 Dr. Currens was married to Miss Julia Pierpont, who was born at La Salle, Illinois, a daughter of Judge and Mrs. H. S. Pierpont. Her death occurred in 1889. She was a prominent member of Two Rivers society, was identified with the organizing of the Joseph Mann Library and was a public-school teacher for ten years. Dr. Currens was also a charter member and one of the organizers of the library, which was built by private subscription. One child was born to Dr. and Mrs. Currens: Carrie P., born in 1883, who graduated from the University of Chicago in 1905, and married John N. Wallace. Mr. and Mrs. Wallace, who are now on an extended trip through Europe, are the parents of two children: Julia N., four years of age and John Thomas, aged one year. Since June, 1879, Dr. Currens has been affiliated with the Masonic order at Two Rivers, holding all the offices in the lodge, and he is a charter member of the Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, of which he was the organizer in 1890.
Photo from "From Notable Men of Wisconsin 1901-1902" J.R. CURRENS: J.R. From the Manitowoc County Chronicle December 1, 1906 Mayor J.R. Currens and a committee of four shippers consulted with government engineer departement at Milwaukee retative(sic) to the involvement of our harbor the other day. JOSEPH CUSHINETT From the Two Rivers Manitowoc County Chronicle, Tuesday, February 19, 1889: Joseph Cushinett a veteran of the late war died at his home in Gibson February 16th. He had been sick since early in the summer and complained of pains in his lungs while breathing. He and his wife came to this country from Switzerland in 1854. He leaves a family of eight children all of whom are able to take care of themselves with the exception of the two youngest boys. His family and many friends will mourn his loss. Deceased was 61 yrs. old.