[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
The first vehicle he owned. Taken in Two Rivers abt. 1910. Photo compliments of Gary Omernick
Two Rivers Military Band performs in front of the Union House in the city about 1915. Seventh from the left is Nic Taddy. Others unidentified. Photo compliments of Gary Omernick
NICHOLAS TADDY This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.278-279. Nicholas Taddy, one of Two Rivers township’s most highly esteemed citizens, is the head of a family that is known all over this section of the county. He is the owner of a three hundred acre tract of fine farming land and belongs to that sturdy class of Polish-Americans which have done so much toward building up and developing Manitowoc county. Mr. Taddy was born September 11, 1857, in Poland, and was ten years of age when he came to America with his parents, first securing work at the old tannery at Two Rivers. He has done most of the clearing on his property and now has three hundred acres of fertile land under cultivation, on which he is engaged in general farming and stock-raising. Mr. Taddy was married at the age of twenty-two years to Miss Mary Palm, a daughter of John Joseph and Nellie Palm, natives of Germany, who came to the United States in 1856. Mr. Palm died in 1889, when eighty years of age, and his wife passed away in 1908, having attained the advanced age of ninety-three years. Their children were: Katie, born in 1858, deceased; Mary, who is Mrs. Taddy, born January 17, 1861 and Frank, who died in infancy. On coming to this country, John Joseph Palm located on the farm now operated by Mr. Taddy, taking up eighty acres of wild land, on which he first built a log shanty. He started to work his place with an ox team and year by year added improvements, but the present residence was built in 1894 by Mr. Taddy, who also put up a basement barn forty by one hundred and twelve feet. Mr. and Mrs. Taddy have a right to be proud of their family, having had eighteen children, fifteen of whom are living, all strong and hearty, a credit to their parents and their community. Their names follow: Joseph, Nellie, Nicholas, Julia, Paul, William, Annie, John, Mary, George, Agnes, Katie, Celia, Antoine, Raymond, Rosa, Adeline and Genevieve, of whom Nellie, Annie and Raymond are deceased. Mr. Taddy has been prominent in political matters for some years, serving as road overseer, constable and school director of district No. 1, and in religious affairs the family is affiliated with the Catholic church. JOHN JOSEPH TADYCH This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.144-145. John Joseph Tadych, one of the most prominent business men of Two Rivers, Wisconsin, and the owner of the Empire Block, was born in New York state, May 15, 1866, a son of Paul and Josephine (Borsesky) Tadych, who came to the city of Two Rivers that same year. Paul Tadych was a brick moulder by occupation but worked in the sawmill for four years, at the end of which time he located on a tract of eighty acres of wild land in Two Rivers township, building a log cabin, fourteen by twenty feet, with two rooms, and a log barn. He experienced all of the hardships and privations of pioneer life, being compelled during the early days to carry flour on his back to the little home over the old Indian trails, and started to clear his land with an ox team. After clearing his original purchase, he bought eighty acres more, and added modern buildings, carrying on agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred August 27, 1903, when he was eighty years, two months and two day’s old. His wife passed away May 2, 1884, aged fifty-eight years, one month, thirteen days. Paul Tadych was known as a man who was exceptionally fond of his home, and he was also prominent in educational and religious work, being a consistent member of the Catholic church. Four children were born to him: Mary, who married Mike Milecki, and Nick, John Joseph and Paul. John Joseph Tadych received his education in the district schools and upon attaining his majority became a mechanic with the H. P. Hamilton Manufacturing Company, in the employ of which concern he continued for thirteen years. He then engaged in the hotel business at Two Rivers, conducting the Washington House, at Seventeenth and Washington streets, for eleven years, but eventually sold this hostelry and built the Empire Block, at the corner of Eighteenth and Washington streets. This handsome building is a two-story structure, in which are operated a buffet, drug store, confectionery, barber shop, novelty store and the Empire Theater, one of the most modern places of entertainment in Two Rivers, and the second floor is given over to a dwelling and lodge hall, the latter used for banquets and lodges. Mr. Tadych also owns the adjoining building, twenty-eight by sixty feet, in which is located the plant of the Weekly Chronicle. In addition he is interested in the Two Rivers Realty Company. In 1887 he was married to Miss Julia Schikoski, who was born at Chicago, Illinois, a daughter of Joseph Schikoski, a Two Rivers township farmer. Six children have been born to this union, of whom George, Antoine and Annie are deceased; and Rosa, Theresa and John Gilbert reside at home. Mr. Tadych was alderman for a number of years and also served as a member of the board of county supervisors, but has retired from political activities and now gives all of his attention to his business affairs. WILLIAM L. TAYLOR, JR. (From the Manitowoc Co. Chronicle, Tuesday, Dec. 9, 1884): The wedding of Mr. Wm. Taylor, Jr. and Miss Esther E. McNiel of Two Creeks of which our Mishicott correspondent made mention last week was a very pleasant affair. A large number of invited guests were present and after the marriage ceremony a sumptuous dinner was served and later dancing was begun and kept up until an early hour the next morning. The following is a list of presents received: Miss Lizzie Heidorf, a quilt; Miss Sarah Taylor, a glass set; Miss Mary J. Short, a pair of vases; John G. Buchanan, a lamp; Henry Taylor, a syrup dish; George Taylor Jr., glass fruit dish; Parents of the bride, set of dishes; Parents of the groom, set of dishes; Mr. and Mrs. Washer, lamp; Mr. and Mrs. D. Buchanan, pair of silver napkin rings and bed spread; Mr. and Mrs. S. McNeil, two dozen napkins; Mr. Wm. Taylor, cake stand; Mr. and Mrs. J. Miller, silver castor; Edward Taylor, cream pitcher; Mr. and Mrs. Reinhold, doz. silver spoons; Mr. Nic. Terens and Miss Rosa Nooker, doz. silver spoons; Mr. J. Schroeder, wash bowl and pitcher; Mr. Peter Schroeder, table spread; Miss Katie Schroeder, tidy; Miss Mary Schroeder, lamp mat; Mr. and Mrs. Beeker, bed stead; Mrs. J. C. Bohn and daughter Tillie, flower vase; Mr. and Mrs. Heidorf, meat platter and potatoe dish; Mr. and Mrs. Scheuer, bracket; Mr. and Mrs. Kumbalek, wash stand; Miss Josie Hessel, clock; Mr. and Mrs. Stewart, chamber set; Wenzel and Mary Resach, set of dishes; Wm. Elliott, water pitcher; Mr. Lewis Albertson, $1.00; Mr. L. Reth, $2.; Mr. L. Frasch, $1.; Mr. Lehrman, $1.; Mr. W. Blaha, $1.; Mr. T. Delille, 50c; Mr. J. Krause, 25c. CHRIST H. TEGEN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.488-492. Christ H. Tegen, architect and superintendent of Manitowoc, who has designed many of the largest and most beautiful buildings in the city, is a native of Germany, and was born in 1856, a son of P. and Mary (Finner) Tegen, who spent their lives in the old country, where Mr. Tegen was engaged in the glass business. Christ H. Tegen received a college education in his native country, attending the polytechnic school at Hamburg, Germany, and the Holtzmann Polytechnic Institute, and in 1883 came to the United States, settling in Manitowoc for two years and then going to Milwaukee for six years, after which he returned to Manitowoc, where he has since followed his profession. Among the buildings designed by Mr. Tegen may be mentioned the insane asylum, the Holy Family Hospital, the Manitowoc Court House, the Rhinelander Court House and the Luling schoolhouse the Williams and Dempsey blocks and many other business structures, and numerous residences. In 1878 he was married to Miss Ida Ohlen, who was born in Hamburg, Germany, and they have three children: Robert F., one of the leading architects of Portland, Oregon, and a graduate of the University of Illinois at Champaign; Paula, who serves as stenographer and assistant to her father and Martha, who married J. J. Healy, district attorney of Manitowoc county. Mr. Tegen is a prominent member of the Elks. ARTHUR TEITGEN, M.D. This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.478-479. Dr. Arthur Teitgen, who since 1907 has been successfully engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery, his office being located at 902 South Eighth street, is a native resident of this city. He was born April 2, 1881, the son of Theodore and Mary (Pleuss) Teitgen. The father came to America with his parents from Germany in 1850 and settled in Manitowoc county. He passed away in 1909 and is buried in Evergreen cemetery. His widow is now residing in this city. Arthur Teitgen received his primary education in the country schools and was graduated from the high school here in 1900. He then was engaged for two years in teaching school and in 1902 enrolled as a student in the medical department of the Northwestern University at Chicago, from which institution he was graduated in the class of 1907. He first located for practice in Chicago but after one year came to Manitowoc, where he has since been located. He is an extremely busy and successful practitioner and his deep interest and thorough knowledge of his chosen profession merit for him the high esteem and confidence which is justly given him. At Manitowoc, on February 22, 1909, Dr. Teitgen was united in marriage to Miss Mathilda Strupp, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Strupp, of Newton. Dr. and Mrs. Teitgen have become the parents of two children, Theodore and Chester. Dr. Teitgen fraternally is a member or the Royal Arcanum, of the Royal League and of the Equitable Fraternal Union. He also is identified with the Order of Eagles, the Order of Moose and the Rangers. In politics he is independent and believes in casting his vote for the men best qualified for office. The family reside at No. 1307 Marshall street. AUGUST TEITGEN Another of Old Landmarks of Manitowoc Co. Passes With The End of Teitgen's Tavern One of the oldest roadside inns in Manitowoc county, a landmark that stood against the weather and inroads of the modern age for nearly three quarters of a century will pass into history when the Teitgen place at Teitgen's corners, southwest of this city on the Green Bay road, is torn down to make room for a modern dwelling. For sixty years it served as a tavern, hotel and dance hall closing down fourteen years ago when it was disposed of by a son of the former owner who had continued the business after the death of his father a quarter of a century ago. Just the name Teitgen’s will bring a flood of recollections to the older residents of the county but to the new generation will mean nothing at all because more modern dance pavilions have long since succeeded to the patronage which the old place used to enjoy. Back in the early 50's, August Teitgen, who was a nobleman in his native land found it expedient to leave Europe and seek his fortune in America. He brought with him a goodly sum of money and one "serf." In those days the contract system obtained in many European countries and the hired help was often almost chattels of the land owners. Mr. Teitgen with his family and the one retainer, William Vogtman, made his way to Wisconsin and picked the spot at the fork of the roads between a setting of small lakes for the location of a tavern where man and beast were to be properly cared for. A huge log house was constructed with tavern and living rooms on the first floor and a dance hall on the second. Became Social-Political Center Here in the early days the politicians were wont to gather and while the elder Teitgen sought public office yet he had a wide influence in county and state affairs. As the business increased the place was gradually added to until it became one of the social centers of the county. A brick school house was erected nearby that still stands. A little to the northwest later came an Irish settlement which was known as Shanahan's Hills and with these settlers Teitgen was as popular as he was with all the other people of the vicinity and for miles around. For Teitgen was a big man, physically and mentally. He enjoyed the advantage of an unusual education, was well read and a philosopher. And physically he was just about the biggest man in the state. Man of Unusual Physique That is a broad statement but the elder Teitgen was a man who stood better than six feet in his stocking feet and he weighed 560 pounds. He had strength in pro- portion to his weight and height and it was an easy matter for him to maintain order in his house at all times. Sometimes a fight would get started but it never lasted long. He, on more than one occasion, picked up one of the combatants with the one hand and the other with his other hand and then holding either upright or upside down, as he might elect, would hold them over the stairway and threaten to drop them unless they promised to behave themselves. Keeping order was about the easiest job in the world for Mr. Teitgen and order was always kept. In spite of the great weight Mr. Teitgen was an extremely active man and would hold his own in walking and in manual labor but because of his weight he had to have all of his furniture made specially for his use. There was a huge arm chair that eventually became almost too small because the man continued to gain in weight. A special team buckboard was built for his use with extra stout springs and this was a familiar sight in all parts of the county because Teitgen was a great traveler and knew his county well. Closed 14 Years Ago At this old log cabin tavern the Teitgen family grew to seven members, two sons and five girls. The two sons were Emil Teitgen former business and bank man of this city, who now spends much of his time in California and Theodore who conducted the business after the death of the father for a number of years. Now the old home, which for fourteen years has been closed to the old business and has served as a residence is to be torn down. The death of Mr. Teitgen brought the household face to face with a problem that had never been considered. A special coffin had to be ordered and then it was found that it would not go through the door even though the door was larger than that of the ordinary home. Measurements were taken and it was found that by taking the door off the hinges and removing the strips at the side the coffin would just pass through and this was done. And that tearing that old tavern down is some job. The house was most thoroughly built. The old logs are as good as ever and will furnish much firewood when the building is finally wrecked. The building was built close up to the road but the new modern nine room house which will take its place will set back fifty feet from the road. It will enjoy a full basement while under the old tavern there was only a beer cellar of the type that obtained in Europe. There will be a modern furnace while stoves were used to heat the tavern and the dance hall. There will be running water while the pump furnished the water for the tavern and it was outside. There will be a bathroom and back in the days when the old tavern was built such a thing was not thought of. Many Have Memories of Place Yes, the world does change and while to the modern generation the passing of Teitgen's does not mean anything to the old timers it will mean much. It was the place where the romance of many of the marriages in the county started. It was a meeting place for old and young. And it was deservedly the most popular place in the county. The new owner of the Teitgen property is Gustav Schrank and it is he who is tearing down the old tavern to replace it with a modern home. Schrank is a dairy farmer who is going in for pure breds and where once reigned joy unconfined will be a peaceful dairy farm with quiet grazing herds. Such is life. Manitowoc Herald, 13 June 1923 A.C. TERENS From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 541 Proprietor of Badger State House, Mishicott. Born Oct. 23, 1842 in Prussia. In 1847 came with his parents to Sheboygan County. Enlisted in 1862 in Company H, 2d Wis. V. C.; served to the end of the war. In the Spring of 1866 he entered the hardware business with his brother, continued until 1870, when he sold out his interest in that business, and bought this hotel, which he has since conducted. Married, in 1867, to Bertha Meyer, of Mishicott. They have six children, two sons and four daughters. JOHN H. TERENS From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 541 Hardware, etc., Michicott. Born Nov. 3, 1833 in Prussia. November 1847 he came with his parents to America, and located at Sheboygan. In 1856, he went to California, and two years later, he, with a partner, opened a tin shop, plumbing, etc., at Marysville; continued about one year, then closed out the business and worked as a journeyman. In 1862 he came to Mishicott, and enlisted in 1864 in Company C, 27th Wis. V. I.; served to the end of the war. Then returned to Mishicott, and opened a hotel, also a hardware store. Two years later, he sold out the hotel to his brother. He was married to Miss Ann Malone in 1853; she is a native of Ireland. They have one son and one daughter. CHARLES TESMER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.206-207. Charles Tesmer, vice president of the Standard Aluminum Company since 1908, was born in Two Rivers, on the 14th of July, 1882, and is one of the representative business men of this city. He is a son of Charles and Louise (Schulz) Tesmer, who have long been residents of this city, coming here from Germany. In the public schools of Two Rivers Charles Tesmer acquired his education, continuing in the grammar school until he arrived at the age of sixteen years. At that time he started as an apprentice in the machinist and tool-making business with the Aluminum Goods Company. He remained in their employ for twelve years and during that time became thoroughly acquainted with the various parts of the trade and desired to engaged in the manufacture of aluminum ware independently. Accordingly he purchased an interest in the concern with which he is identified at present. The company does an extensive business and has always conducted its interests independent of the trust. Mr. Tesmer has become recognized as an authority on all matters concerning aluminum not only as a metal useful in household wares but also in novelty goods. Through his energies and close application he has built up an enterprise of large proportions and derives therefrom annually a gratifying income. In politics Mr. Tesmer casts his vote for the republican party but has never desired nor sought office as a reward for party fealty. His religious affiliations are with the German Lutheran church. Mr. Tesmer takes great interest in out-of-door and athletic events and holds membership in the Quinn Athletic Club. His business interests are of an important nature, demanding the services of one whose ability is of a superior order and whose well balanced forces are manifest in sound judgment and a rapid and ready understanding of any problem that may be presented for solution. TETEAK SALOON (sent in by researcher/see contributors page) This is currently a tavern and rooming house in Manitowoc called FIB's, w/4 living units, built in 1890. This picture was in a photo album of pictures taken between 1920 & 1927. I don't know exactly what year, who any of the people are, or what the occasion was. Teteak's, at 916 Chicago Street, tavern, dining, and rooming house, operated by Henry & Joseph Teteak.
CHAUNCEY R. THAYER From the "History of the Great Lakes" vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield 1899 Captain C.R. Thayer, the captain of the tug Arctic, of the Goodrich line, is one of the younger captains on Lake Michigan, and has worked his way up to his present position by faithfulness and attention to duty in less responsible service. He is a native of Wisconsin, born September 7, 1867, in Ahnapee, now Algoma, and is a son of C. R. Thayer, who was a captain on the lakes for many years. The latter was born in Monroe, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., where his father, Enoch P. Thayer followed farming, and came west when a young man. He became a sailor in early life, and had held the position of captain for some years, when, in April, 1861, he enlisted on the first call for three-months' men. Later he volunteered for three years' service with the 33d Wis. Vol. Inf., serving as captain of Company H. of that regiment, and was with Grant in the Western Army until the close of the war, being mustered out with the rank of major. Captain Thayer was a well-known man in his day, and during the period of the Civil war showed his patriotism in many ways. He was a strong character, energetic and self-reliant, and was highly esteemed by all who know him. For six years he filled the office of fishwarden in the State of Wisconsin. He passed the last six years of his life in Allen county, Kansas. Up to the age of twelve years C. R. Thayer, Jr., lived in Claybanks, Wis., receiving the advantages of the common schools and later attending school in Egg Harbor, Wis.; but he has for the most part been self-educated, picking up a great deal of general information of practical value by observation and reading. When fourteen years of age he commenced fishing in Green Bay, and between the ages of sixteen and eighteen he went before the mast on sailing vessels, serving on the Westchester, the Peoria and the Belle Laurie. His first experience on a tug was as fireman of the Piper, on which he made two trips one season, on Sturgeon bay. For one season he was with the Jessie Spaulding, as linesman, and from her he went into the tug George Pankratz, of Manitowoc, on which he remained three seasons, first as wheelsman and later as mate. For the three succeeding seasons he was deckhand on the George Cooper, at Ashland, Wis., after which he was made captain and for two seasons sailed the tug Pacific, of Ashland, as such. In 1891 he worked ashore, being employed in a boiler shop until August, when he went on a tug, as fireman, and in the spring of 1896 he was appointed to his present position, that of captain of the tug Arctic, of the Goodrich line, in whose employ he has since remained. Captain Thayer is an enterprising young man in every way, and he has advanced steadily in his calling by "push" and competent service in any capacity in which he has been employed. In social connection he is a member of the Knights of the Maccabees. In February, 1891, the Captain was married to Miss Emma C. Barritz, of Manitowoc, Wis., and they have one daughter, Goldie Ethel. EMMA THAYER: From the Green Bay Advocate, Thursday, May 15, 1851: Hard to Beat - Miss Emma Thayer, a young lady of 15, living at Rowley's Bay, near the town of Two Rivers, while walking on the beach in company with another young lady, on the morning of the first day of May, saw a wolf a short distance off, watching a deer that he had driven into the lake; and, with a courage rarely equalled, she drove the wolf away, and wading into the lake, brought the deer on shore by the ear; but after petting him a short time, the ungallant fellow made several attempts to get away, and finally carried matters so far as to knock her down and tear her dress, when becoming justly incensed by such behaviour, she took a stone and dashed out his brains, the wolf all the time standing a short distance off, a silent spectator of the fight, in which he took no further part than by showing a formidable row of teeth occasionally, to show his disapprobation of her interference. It is safe enough to predict, that if this girl lives a few years longer, she will be able to whip her weight in wild-cats, out-scream the catamount, give a young "badger" the heartache, or what is better, preside with grace and dignity over some "wild Wisconsin home." MRS. HENRY THIEDE From the Two Rivers Reporter, Saturday, Dec. 13, 1913: OLD TIMERS - (photo with article) The cruel hand of war parted many loving hearts forever when the boys of '61 and '62 set out in answer to Lincoln's call for volunteers. Among those who responded to that call was Henry Mandel. He had been married two years before to Fredericka Schwantes. He and two of his brothers enlisted in company D 27th Regiment, Captain Rankin in 1862. He never came back. Fatally wounded in battle he died in the hands of the enemy and his remains were interred in far away Kansas. Henry Thiede who had served four years in the Civil war then became married to Mrs. Mandel in 1867. Mrs. Thiede who is in good health at 76 came to this vicinity in 1856 with the entire Schwantes family consisting of six boys, four boys, the father and mother. The father bought a farm of eighty acres a few miles west of here soon after. He was proprietor of a hotel in Pomern, Regen Walde, Germany where Mrs. Thiede was born. To satisfy his children who did not like the business he sold out for a good price and they emigrated to America. Left alone during the war with her two babies Fred and Henry who are now upright citizens of this vicinity, Fredericka went back to live with her father on his farm. The Schwantes boys, Carl, August, Fred and William had all gone to the war and she and her sister helped harvest the crops and did all they could to take their place. There was much work to do. And besides, they made home spun garments which they gave in exchange for help in farm work from the neighbors. The Thiedes lived on a farm a few miles north of this city for eight years and then sold out and took up their residence in Two Rivers. Here the family has since resided. Since the death of Mr. Thiede eight years ago Mrs. Thiede has lived with her son Ernst, contractor. F F THIELKE In 1906 F.F. Theilke & Son bought their first Guernsey cow from William Morgan, of Cato, Wis. Our Herd consists of 30 pure breds. Primrose 2nd took the honor at the Wisconsin State Fair in 1917; the first prize at the cow testing exhibit and in 1918 she took fifth prize. She produced 8885 pounds of milk, 6.57 test; 583.5 pounds butter fat, and her daughter, Alice, as a 2 year old, produced 9138 poinds of milk, 5.72 test, and 522.4 pounds of butter fat, and as a 3 year old, produced 10833 pounds of milk, 5.83 test, and 617.3 pounds of butter fat. And a grand daughter of Primrose 2nd, Evelyn as a 2 year old, produced 8809 pounds of milk, 5.7 test and 511.5 butter fat in 1920. We had the honor to take the first prize on young herd at the Wisconsin State Fair at Milwaukee, and we also took in 1919, first prize and champion and grand champion on young sire at the county fair in Chilton, Wisconsin.
JOHN THOMAS From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 539 Principal, Two Rivers Public School, was born May 28, 1852 in Winnebago County, Wisconsin, where he attended school until the age of nineteen, when he went to Albany, N. Y., and entered the Normal School of that city, graduating in 1874. He went to Ft. Howard, occupying the position of principal of the high school for three years, and was also principal of the Green Bay High School for three years. January, 1881, he moved to Two Rivers, and was appointed to his present position. Mr. Thomas married, in 1874, Miss Christine Powers, of Brattleboro, Vt. Their union has been blessed by three lovely little daughters.
KNUTH H. THOMPSON This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.447-448. Knuth H. Thompson, whose fine farm of two hundred acres in Rockland and Cato, reflects credit upon him both as an agriculturist and a business man, was born in the town of Liberty, Manitowoc county, June 23, 1854. He is a son of Thomas Olson and Carrie (Evenson) Thompson, natives of Norway. They were married in their own country and afterward came to the united States, arriving here in 1846, and settled immediately in the town of Liberty. There they purchased eighty acres of wild land and, moving upon it, made it their home until they died, the mother passing away in 1882, in her seventy-third year, and the father ten years later, in his eighty-second year. Both are buried in the cemetery of the Valders church. In politics, the father was a republican and took an active part in the public affairs of his town. Knuth H. Thompson is the youngest of the seven children in his father’s family, and received a limited education. When but fifteen years old he began supporting himself, and was employed by others until nineteen years old, at which time he bought eighty acres of land in the town of Liberty, and for ten years operated the farm, improving it as he went along. He then sold it at a profit and bought two hundred acres on section 36, town of Rockland, and section 31, town of Cato. Of this, one hundred and forty acres is cultivated, and all is fenced with barbed wire. He carries on general farming, raising hay, grain and sugar beets, and milks fifteen cows, selling the dairy products. His graded stock is comfortably housed in a basement barn, fifty-four by ninety—six and thirty-two by fifty-four feet, built in 1902. It has all modern improvements including cement floors and patent stanchions. The two story frame residence contains fourteen rooms and was also built in 1902. The present owner has made many improve- ments, all of which embody modern ideas. On May 20, 1879, Mr. Thompson was married to Ida Olson Gigstad, a daughter of Ole and Ragneld (Stokbren) Gigstad, natives of Norway. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Gigstad came to America, about 1848, and first located in Two Rivers, where the father worked in the sawmills. Later he bought eighty acres in the town of Liberty, and developed a good farm from the wild land. At the time he settled here, very primitive conditions prevailed-there were no roads, trails had to be blazed and Indians were frequently encountered. Passing through the usual experiences of the pioneers, these sturdy Norse people persevered, adding to their holdings until they owned one hundred and seventy acres, and died in comfortable circumstances. Mrs. Thompson was the fourth of eight children in the Gigstad family, and was born December 30, 1853. Eight children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Thompson namely: Cornelia, who married John Hewitson, of New Mexico, and has one child; Thomas, of Chicago, who is engaged in the hay and grain business; Richard, who also lives in Chicago, being a partner of Thomas; Kenneth, who lives in Oregon; Alvin, who also lives in Oregon, both he and Kenneth having taken up land claims; and Arthur, Elma and Melvin, at home. Mr. Thompson is a republican and has served on the school board for twenty-one years, and for eighteen years has been its clerk. He and his family are members of the Lutheran church of Walders. While Mr. Thompson has been unusually successful, his prosperity is but the natural outcome of his industry and thrift, and what he has accomplished has not only benefitted him, but has raised the standard of agriculture in his neighborhood. MRS. THOMPSON From the Manitowoc Pilot, 7 July 1870: Broke Her Arm - A Mrs. Thompson, residing on Sixth street, North Side, was up in a barn connected with her dwelling, on Thursday, engaged in pitching hay, and on descending the ladder she missed her footing, and her arm from some means was caught between the rounds, breaking it off just above the elbow. The unfortunate lady is getting along as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. N. THOMPSON From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, August 21, 1884: N. Thompson was at work on a vessel Tuesday morning filling seams with pitch. He carried a bucket of boiling pitch and was walking on a floating platform. He stumbled over something and the pitch flowing over him scalded his abdomen and hands quite badly. A physician was immediately called. CHRISTIAN TIEDEMANN Christian Tiedemann was one of Kiel's earliest pioneers. When Henry Belitz optioned to have the village platted he hired Christian, an experienced surveyor to do the work. The original plat of Kiel is dated February 26, 1859 and included 20 acres. Kiel must give him credit for his foresight providing squared off, wide and straight streets. November 22, 1856, Tiedemann and Herman Schlichting collected $39.00 for constructing a wooden bridge across the Sheboygan River at 1st Street. This photo and several others were furnished by Ms. Trotter, Tiedemann's great grand- daughter, living in Springfield, Missouri. ********* In Thorp, Clark County, died on Sunday, Mr. Christian Tiedemann, as earlier inhabitant of Kiel, following a stroke. The deceased was in the year 1829 in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, born, was there as a surveyor educated and participated in 1852 in the War of Independence against Denmark as a volunteer. In the year 1852 he came with his parents to America and settled in the town of New Holstein near Kiel. In the year 1857 he united in marriage with Helene Langemak and acquired a farm a mile west of Kiel. 1863-1864 he participated in the Civil War. In the year 1869 he exchanged his farm for the Kiel Hotel (now the property of Ph Muller) and operated it until the year 1883. Meanwhile he was also active as a surveyor, and in addition was for many years Town Clerk of Schleswig. In the year 1883 he moved with his family to Thorp, where his wife of long years preceded him in death. He reached an age of 82 years, and left behind eight children, namely: Mrs. John Greve of Abbotsford, Mrs. John Ibeling from here, Mrs. Steel in Thorp, Mrs. Labarge and Mrs. Kasper Krupp in Seattle, Mrs. Herbert Bristnell, Mrs. John Krupp and Herman living in the northern part of the state. The burial took place on Wednesday; in Thorp. Mrs. John Ibeling and son Herman from here were in attendance. (1911 handwritten on article-no source named) ******** Regarding Helen(e) Tiedemann, the obituary with Christian's photo is misleading. There is an obituary posted on the Calumet Page for him from Thorp, Clark County, where he died that is also slightly inaccurate but fills in some gaps. Christian was married on 15 January 1859 to Magdalena Langemak, daughter of Peter Langemak and Elsabe Selk. Here is photograph I have of Magdalena, with a child on her lap, who I believe to be Helen Tiedemann-- based on the style of their clothing and the fact that Helen was their first child, born in 1859, I think it's a good bet. The H. Tiedeman in the glass negative looks the right age for Helen at around the time that she married John Greve, on 31 March 1881. (from researcher/see contributors page) Christian Tiedemann Magdalena Tiedemann Photo of his daughters Casper-Johanna wedding Christian Tiedemann Family standing- Bertha, Herman, Aurelia or Christina; sitting middle - Aurelia or Christina, Johanna, Helen, Rosaline, Hermine (Minnie), sitting with fan - Elsie. AUGUST TILLS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.133-134. August Tills, one of the prosperous agriculturists of Manitowoc Rapids township, was born on the farm that he now owns and operates, on May 22, 1865. He is of German extraction, his parents, David and Doris (Link) Tills, having been born, reared and married in the old country, where they also passed the early years of their domestic life. David Tills was a laboring man, but above the average in intelligence and aspired to a higher position. Unsurmountable barriers, however, seemed practically to preclude all possibility of his realizing his ambition in his native country and therefore he determined to come to the new world, convinced that he would stand better chances of advancing in the virgin states of the west. In 1852, together with his wife and one son, David, he emigrated to the United States, Milwaukee being his destination. The family resided there for about eighteen months, during which time the father worked as a laborer, but even though his wages were low, they succeeded by thrifty management to save enough for their removal to Manitowoc county and here they purchased the tract of land now owned by their son, August. Practically all of the land in this vicinity was then covered with timber, and Mr. Tills cleared a small tract on his holding and erected thereon a log cabin, now being used for a granary, that the family occupied for many years. The pride in possessing a home of their own, although of crude construction, proved an incentive to yet greater effort on the part of the family, and from dawn to dark they worked incessantly to clear and prepare their land for planting. The first years were discouraging and filled with hard work, but in due course they began to prosper and were able to afford more of the comforts of life and a better home. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Tills, five of whom are still living, as is also the father, who has now attained the venerable age of ninety years, his birth having occurred on the 14th of January, 1822. The mother, however, passed away on the farm in 1872, and here the father still lives, making his home with his son August. During the early years of his life August Tills shared with the other members of his family the hardships and privations of pioneer life. He has always been a hard worker, the many duties of the farm leaving little time for play, even in his boyhood when he was mastering the common branches of English learning in the district schools. As the years passed he assisted more and more with the work of the fields, relieving his father of such responsibilities as he was able to undertake until he eventually took over the entire management of the farm, which he purchased in 1895. Since acquiring the title to the property, Mr. Tills has made such improvements as his circumstances warranted and his judgment suggested. He is a progressive man, who uses intelligence and discretion in the direction of his undertakings and as a result is meeting with success. His place is well kept up and fully equipped with all modern implements and appliances required in agricultural pursuits, while his fields are in a high state of productivity. In 1885, Mr. Tills was married to Miss Doris Pevlow, a daughter of John Pevlow, and a native of Germany, where her parents always resided. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Tills as follows: William, who is a resident of De Pere; Charles, who is living in Manitowoc; Minnie, the wife of William Knack; and Emma, who is living at home. The parents hold membership in the German Lutheran church in the faith of which they reared their family. Mr. Tills is one of the highly respected native sons of Manitowoc Rapids township, in the up—building and development of which he has contributed his quota, being one of the enterprising and progressive citizens of the community where his family have resided for more than half a century.
P.S. TILSON From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 534 Livery, Manitowoc, was born April 23, 1843, in Waukesha County. After attending school he assisted on the farm and managed a livery; in 1868 he came to Manitowoc, bringing with him his livery stock, and has since been engaged in this business; he, with other partners, own two stables with about forty horses; they also have a contract for sprinkling the streets of the city. Married, April 5, 1870, to Carrie L. Emerson, of Ohio; they have four children, one son and three daughters. ******** Manitowoc Tribune Tuesday, August 25, 1874, Vol. 21 No. 38, Page 4 Column 2, Under "Local and Miscellaneous" Burglary. -- Mr. P. Tilson's wagon factory was entered last Friday night, by taking out the lower sash of a window, and the money drawer robbed of thirteen dollars. Mr. Tilson is pretty sure who is the thief.
JOSEPH TISHLER From the Manitowoc Pilot, February 10, 1870: SUMMONS - Manitowoc County Circuit Court Joseph Tishler, against Margaret Tishler The State of Wisconsin, to Margaret Tishler defendent. You are hereby summoned and required to answer the complaint in this action which will be filed with the Clerk of the Circuit Court, County of Manitowoc at his office in the Village of Manitowoc and to serve a copy of your answer to the said complaint on the subscribers at their office, in said Village of Manitowoc within twenty days after the service of this summons on you, exclusive of the day of such service; and if you fail to answer the said complaint within the time aforesaid, the plaintiff in the action will apply to the Court for the relief demanded in the complaint. Walker & White Plaintiff's Attorneys Dated September 29, 1869 The complaint in this action was filed in the office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Manitowoc Couty on the 12th day of January A.D. 1870 Walker & White Plaintiff's Attorneys
John TomasThis is part of a large photo of men who belonged to the B.& M.I.U. No. 12 of Manitowoc. It can be found at the I-43 Antique Mall at Manitowoc B & M I U = Bricklayers and Masons’ International Union of America B&MIU was a successor to the Bricklayers International Union of the United States of North America, founded in 1865. In 1910 the B&MIU became interested in organizing plasterers and the union’s title then became the Bricklayers, Mason, and Plasterers’ International Union of America. CHARLES TOMCHEK From the "Souvenir Book of The Diamond Jubilee of St. Casimir's Congregation At Northeim (Newton) Wisconsin 1868 - 1943" Post Office Employee Born in 1901 at Northeim, Charles graduated from Manitowoc High School in 1920. His present employment is with the Post Office at Milwaukee, Wis., for the last twenty-two years. Social activities: Sec'y of St. Monica Holy Name Society. Also Sec'y and Treas. of St. Monica Choir. Member of Board of Directors of St. Gabriel League. CLARENCE J. TOMCHEK From the "Souvenir Book of The Diamond Jubilee of St. Casimir's Congregation At Northeim (Newton) Wisconsin 1868 - 1943" Police Officer at Manitowoc, Wis.
Mr. Clarence J. Tomchek was born February 2, 1903, on the Tomchek farm in the town of Centerville, better known as Point Creek Park. After having completed the eight (sic) grade, he stayed home on the farm until he reached the age of 16. Then he started to shift for himself, in order to make room for the other children at home as they were growing up. He worked for several other farmers in the vicinity until he reached the age of 18. Thereupon he decided to see what city life was in a big town. So he went to Milwaukee. There, he first took a job at the Rex Chain Belt Co., where he worked for three years. When his mother died, his father requested him to return home and stay with his family on the farm. At the age of twenty-one, he accepted a position as a bus-driver for the Lake Shore Transportation Co., better known as the Sheboygan Bus Company, where he stayed for six years, doing a great deal of driving. Induced by his big brother, Frank Tomchek, Captain of Detectives, to join with him the Police Department of Manitowoc, and encouraged by Mr. Trochell, then Chief of Police, he received his appointment on March 1, 1930 at the age of twenty-seven. In those days, a shift meant twelve hours a night, and for less money than at the present time. Thus he worked nights for six years until a State Law was passed for policemen to work 8 hours a day only. By this change, he was transferred to the day shift. By a queer coincidence, the Chief gave him Number 13, and his new appointment happened also be on a Friday. For him, it proved to be a lucky number.
FRANK TOMCHEK From the "Souvenir Book of The Diamond Jubilee of St. Casimir's Congregation At Northeim (Newton) Wisconsin 1868 - 1943" Captain of Detectives, Manitowoc, Wis.
Captain Frank Tomchek spent his boyhood on his father's farm at Northeim. At the age of fifteen, he set out to shift for himself. When World War I broke out, he was then working on a farm at Decorah, Ia. Being drafted as a private, he later was honorably discharged as a corporal at the age of twenty-six. For a short time he was working at the Manitowoc Ship Yards. Induced by Charles Laskowski, an ex-Marine and a former school mate, he applied for a position at the Police Department of Manitowoc. At first, he was on the night force until 1925, except for a short period during which the Tenth Street bridge was being built, being assigned to direct the traffic at Tenth and Franklin Streets. In 1925, he has been assigned to the day shift and became court officer, a post which required him to take all prisoners to court. In September, 1928, he was assigned to plain clothes duty with the rank of detective. He was made captain of detectives by Chief J.J. Kuplic in June, 1939. Captain Tomchek has worked on three murder cases, all of which resulted in convictions. He also worked on the first and only case instituted by the local police department to be appealed to the State Supreme Court, in which the conviction was upheld. On one murder case he worked 21 months before it was finally solved. His work has covered everything from boys stealing apples to murder. After Captain Tomchek was assigned to plain-clothes duty, the detective bureau was a one-man affair, he being the only man. Today it consists of a captain, a sergeant, and a special officer. In the early days of his career. Capt. Tomchek recalls, it was a case of feeling his way carefully and working out problems for himself. He recalls that he and Capt. Christiansen were the first Manitowoc officers ever to attend a police school. That was about 11 years ago. Today every member of the present police force has attended some type of police school and the course of instruction is specialized in some particular phase of the work. With former Sheriff Norman Berkedal, Captain Tomchek organized the American Legion band, and has served as drum major of that organization ever since
LUDWIG TOMCHEK From the "Souvenir Book of The Diamond Jubilee of St. Casimir's Congregation At Northeim (Newton) Wisconsin 1868 - 1943" Post Office Employee Ludwig was born in 1898 at Northeim and graduated from Manitowoc High School in 1916 and afterwards from Normal School, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He has been employed for the last twenty-two years at the Post Office, in Milwaukee. He is a member of the American League and the St. Gabriel League, which consists of Catholics employed at the Post Office. During the time of World War I he was in the Students' Army Training Corps at Madison, Wisconsin. PETER TOMCHEK From the "Souvenir Book of The Diamond Jubilee of St. Casimir's Congregation At Northeim (Newton) Wisconsin 1868 - 1943"
The son of Anton and Gertrude Tomchek in Northeim, Wisconsin, Peter Tomchek was born September 3, 1883. He was educated in Catholic and public schools of Manitowoc, Wisconsin, and left Northeim in 1906. His first occupation was in the capacity of stock man for Mills Novelty Co. in Chicago and was made foreman of the stock-room in a few months. Peter Tomchek took an examination for postal clerk which he passed successfully, and was called to report February 4, 1910. While in the employment of the United States Government, Peter took an examination for police officer in the Chicago Police Department, and the successful passing of that examination put him in the employ of the City of Chicago Police Department on February 4, 1911. Three years later, on the 13th of February, 1914, he was made Police Sergeant and on August 2, 1924, was promoted to Lieutenant of the Police. On December 19, 1931, he was promoted to Captain of Police by the late mayor of Chicago, Anton Cermak, which position he held until his death on December 2, 1935, just two months before his 25th anniversary with the Chicago Police Department. For many years Peter held the office of recording and financial secretary of the Police Lieutenant's Welfare Association. In 1933 Peter organized the Polish American Chicago Police Club with a membership of 250 policemen of Polish descent and served as the first president until his death. The club held interesting meetings and socials. The proceeds of their public affairs were used for charitable purposes. Capt. Tomchek was a member of the Chicago Society Gr. 1450 Polish National Alliance, of which he was also an officer for several years.
J.W. TOOMBS From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 534 Agent, Goodrich Transportation Company, Manitowoc, is a native of Cumberland Co., Me; came with his parents to New York when a boy; in 1849 they removed to Menasha, Wis.; February, 1854, he came to Manitowoc, was employed as bookkeeper for B. Jones & Company, manufacturers of lumber, continued with the firm till 1861, when he went to Nevada, where he was employed as cashier in a bank; held that position two years, then returned to Manitowoc and was engaged in the drug business one year. In 1865 he was appointed to his present position, having also held the position of clerk on their steamer several seasons. Mr. Toombs has held the office of District School Clerk eight years, and has also been County Superintendent. NORMAN TORRISON
Photo taken in Sturgeon Bay around 1890. Standing left to right are Norman Torrison and H. Walton Hubbard reclining are Dr. George Patchen and John L. Smalley
Photo courtesy of the Manitowoc Public Library
OSCAR TORRISON From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, August 21, 1884: Oscar Torrison, a young man whose splendid physique and mental endowments are a guaranty of future distinction in his chosen profession, has completed the course in the Columbia law school and is now looking up a suitable place in which to begin active practice. No young man ever made more thorough preparation or began life under more favorable auspices. That he will earn fame as well as command a large practice all who know him believe. ******** TORRISON, Oscar M., judge; born Manitowoc, Wis., Aug. 29, 1861; son Osuld and Martha (Findal) Torrison; grad. Manitowoc High School, 1878; A.B., Luther Coll., Decorah, Ia., 1881; LL.R, State Univ. of Ia., 1882; LLB., Columbia Univ., New York, 1884; married Ida Michelson, of Chicago, Feb. 27, 1889; 3 children; Margaret, Osuld, Helen. Practiced at Elbow Lake, Minn., 1886-90, and was mayor Elbow Lake 3 terms; removed to Chicago 1890, and practiced until 1906, when was elected judge Municipal Court for 2-year term; reelected in 1908 for term of 6 years; Republican. Mem. Bd. of Edn., Chicago, 1896-7. Served as mem. educational com. Civic Federation, and several years dir. Chicago bureau of Charities and pres. of its northwest district. Mem. Chicago Bar Assn., Ill. State Bar Assn., Lutheran Clubs; University, Preas, Hamilton, Westward Ho Golf. Recreation: golf. Residence: 2129 Alice Pl. "The Book Of Chicagoans: A Biographical Dictionary Of Leading Living Men Of The City Of Chicago" Published 1911 Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Page 746 OSCAR TORRISON From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, September 4, 1884: On Friday evening last Oscar Torrison had a little accident. The bolt in his buggy came out and the horse ran away with the fore wheels. Mr. Torrison was thrown out but was not injured. OSULD TORRISON This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.488-492. While almost two decades have passed since Osuld Torrison was called to his final rest, his work yet remains in the large mercantile establishment which still bears his name and which is a monument unto his enterprise and ability. To say that he arose from a humble position to rank among the foremost business men of the city may seem trite to those familiar with his life but it is only just to say in a history that will descend to future generations that his was a business record that any man might be proud to possess. He never made engagements that he did not fulfil nor incurred obligations that he did not meet, and at all times he enjoyed the confidence and respect of colleagues and contemporaries. He came to America in early manhood and during the greater part of his residence in the new world made his home in Manitowoc. He was born on the 6th of March, 1828, and when about twenty years of age sailed for the United States, locating at Port Washington, Wisconsin, where he remained for one year, attending school. He also engaged in clerking there and afterward went to Manitowoc Rapids, where he secured a position as salesman in the general store of Baker & Birdsley. Two years were there passed, after which he came to Manitowoc and again he secured a clerkship, this time entering the employ of E. R. Smith, with whom he continued for one year. On the expiration of that period, in partnership with H. Nordvi, he purchased the business of his employer and in partnership relation conducted the store for a few years. At the end of that time Mr. Torrison became sole proprietor and thus started in business alone about 1853. The store was then located on Sixth street, where the Smalley Manufacturing plant now stands. Soon afterward, however, a new location was obtained on York street between Sixth and Seventh, and in the ‘60s Mr. Torrison erected a building at the southeast corner of Commercial and Eighth streets. This was a two—story frame structure about thirty by ninety feet. He occupied that building until 1882, when he located at the southwest corner of Eighth and Commercial a brick building three stories in height, with basement. its dimensions being eighty-six by one hundred feet. Still his enlarged quarters did not prove adequate to the growth of the business and he afterward enlarged the building by the erection of an addition on the south, twenty—six by one hundred feet, and two stories in height. Again the growth demanded more commodious quarters and a three—story structure, fifty by one hundred and fifteen feet, was built on the west. The store is now one hundred and twelve by one hundred and fifty feet and with the exception of the building to the south is three stories in height. It is an all brick structure with basement under the whole and a general line of merchandise, save furniture and hardware, is carried. The moving spirit that developed the growth of this enterprise was Osuld Torrison, and his success resulted from his close application and his well defined and carefully executed plans. Mr. Torrison had comparatively few opportunities in his youth. After the father's death he brought his mother, one brother and two sisters to the United States, paying their passage with funds which he had saved from his own earnings. It has been well said that the man who is a good son always makes a good husband. The truth of the statement was proven in the life of Mr. Torrison, who was ever most devoted to his own family. In 1854 he married Miss Martha Hanson Findal, a native of Norway and a daughter of Isaac Findal, who brought his family to the United States in 1850 and located in Rapids township, Manitowoc county, where he purchased land and began the development of a farm but died soon afterward. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Torrison were born ten children. Thomas E. is now the head of the Torrison company. Inanda is the wife of the Rev. A. Bredesen, residing in Deerfield, Wisconsin, and is the mother of two sons and two daughters. Isaac B. resides at Decorah, Iowa, where he is pastor of the Lutheran church. He married Elizabeth Koren of that place, a daughter of Dr. V. Koren. Oscar M., now municipal judge in Chicago, married Ida Michelson, a daughter of Captain H. Michelson, of Chicago, and they have three children, a son and two daughters. George A. is a Chicago physician, specializing in the treatment of diseases of the nose, ear and throat. He married Emma Johnson, of Chicago, and they have two daughters. Gustave, who is a member of the 0. Torrison Company, married Tilla Mandt, a daughter of the late T.G. Mandt, of Stoughton, Wisconsin, and they have two sons. Norman G. is also connected with the firm of 0. Torrison & Company. Aaron J. is in charge of the clothing department of the company. He married Agnes Dreng, a daughter of J. 0. Dreng, and they have two sons. William L. has charge of the grocery department of the company. Agnes is the wife of Charles Stewart, of the Chicago Veneer Door Company, and resides in Chicago. All of the children have been afforded excellent educational privileges. After attending the public schools of Manitowoc the eight sons attended Luther college at Decorah, Iowa, from which six were graduated. The daughter Agnes is a graduate of Wellesley College near Boston, Massachusetts. William also attended the State University of Wisconsin, Isaac was a student in the John Hopkins University and in Concordia College, of St. Louis, and Oscar after completing his course in Luther college, pursued a course in law in the Iowa State University and in Columbia College, of New York. George A. is a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, medical department of Columbia College of New York, and spent several years at the University of Vienna, Austria, doing special post-graduate work on the ear, nose and throat. The death of Osuld Torrison occurred November 2, 1892, at his home in Manitowoc. Throughout the entire period of his residence here he was engaged in merchandising and by industry and enterprise he succeeded in building up one of the largest retail stores in the state. He also branched out along other lines, in all of which he was very successful. When not busy with his mercantile interests he gave his time to his home and family and found his greatest happiness at his own fireside. No other man has done more for the city than he, for his cooperation and aid could always be counted upon in liberal measure for the support of any public project. He helped the needy and was always a friend to the unfortunate. He gave not from a sense of duty but from a deep interest in his fellowmen, which prompted him to extend a helping hand at all times. He had a very wide acquaintance and was loved and respected by all who knew him, for his life ever measured up to the highest standards and was proof of the fact that success and an honored name may be won simultaneously. ************** From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, pp. 533-534 Wholesale and retail dealer in general merchandise, real estate, lumber, ties, timber, wood, pressed hay and grain, Manitowoc; was born in Norway, March 6, 1828. He emigrated and settled in Port Washington in 1848, and attended school there one year. He settled in Manitowoc Rapids 1849, which was then county seat of the county, and clerked in general store two years, after which he settled in Manitowoc City, then in its infancy, and clerked one year for Baker & Beardsley; worked for E. R. & S. W. Smith in same store one year, as they had purchased the same. Mr. Torrison, in company with H. M. Nordvi, bought the goods and rented same store in 1853, under name of O. Torrison & Company, which they continued for five years, at which time Mr. Torrison bought the entire interest, the store then located on York Street, which he continued until he built the store in the Fall of 1862, where he has since carried the largest stock of goods in the city, and doing an immense trade. He was married in Manitowoc, Dec. 26, 1856, to Miss Martha Hanson, who was born in Norway. They have ten children: Thomas E., clerking in his father's store; Inandi A., married to Rev. A. Bredesen, and living in Stoughton, Dane County; Isaac B., who is a graduate of the Decorah College in Iowa, and now attending a theological seminary at St. Louis, Missouri; Oscar M., a graduate of the Decorah College, and now attending Iowa City Law School University; George A., attending the Decorah College; Gustav H., Norman G., Orrin J., William L. and Agnes M., at home, attending city schools. Mr. Torrison has the finest residence and grounds to be seen in Manitowoc County. Osuld Torrison
THOMAS E. TORRISON This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.443-444. The name of Torrison has long been prominently and honorably associated with commercial activity in Manitowoc and he whose name introduces this review has been continuously connected with one of the leading mercantile establishments of the city since 1876. In that year he was graduated from Luther College at Decorah, Iowa, after which he returned to Manitowoc and has since bent his energies to administrative direction and executive management in connection with the conduct of the business. About six decades ago his father, Osuld Torrison, established a store here and the trade has grown with the growth of the city. The establishment is today thoroughly modern and attractive in its appointments and in the line of goods carried, while the business methods employed commend it to the liberal patronage of the public. Mr. Torrison has ever pursued the honorable, straightforward policy instituted by his father and in carrying forward to success the business long since established he has proven that prosperity is not a matter of genius or of fortunate circumstances, as held by some, but is the outcome of clear judgment, experience and unfaltering industry. While actively concerned in commercial interests, Mr. Torrison has at the same time taken helpful part in public affairs. That he is a warm friend and stalwart champion of the cause of education has been indicated in his service as a member of the school board from July, 1890, until July, 1910. He has also been alderman for the second ward, a member of the county board of supervisors and mayor of the city for four terms, giving to Manitowoc a public-spirited, business like administration, characterized by needed reforms and improvements. In political matters he is a republican, believing firmly in the principles of the party as effective forces in good government. Mr. Torrison was married to Georgina Tostensen, a daughter of Captain Tostensen, a lake captain who came to Manitowoc in the '50s and since 1890 has been living on his farm near the city. Mr. and Mrs. Torrison became the parents of a son, Anker, who is a graduate of Luther College of Decorah, Iowa. He also attended the Culver Indiana Military Academy for two years and then took a law course in the Minnesota State University, from which he was graduated in 1910, since which time he has been engaged in practice in St. Paul. Mr. and Mrs. Torrison, like all the other members of the family, belong to the Lutheran church and are much interested in every thing that pertains to the moral progress of the community. There have been no spectacular phases in his life record but the consensus of public opinion places him with those men who are the real strength and stability of the communmty—men who are active, reliable and progressive in business and yet do not allow individual interests to monopolize their time to the exclusion of helpful cooperation in public affairs. The following is from Wisconsin Men of Progress. TORRISON, Thomas Esaias, engaged in general merchandising in Manitowoc, is the son of Osuld Torrison, who came from Heirefos, Norway, to Wisconsin, in 1847, at the age of nineteen years. He began work in a country store, at Manitowoc Rapids, three miles west of the city of Manitowoc, which at that time was the county seat. After a few years he went to Manitowoc and secured a position as clerk in a store there, and subsequently, in company with H. Nordvi, he engaged in the business of general merchandising. In 1853, when twenty-five years of age, he bought out his partner; and, up to the time of his death, in 1892, he continued the business with steadily increasing success. Martha Findal, a native of Bamle, Norway, where she was born in 1834, came to Wisconsin in 1849, and was married to Osuld Torrison in 1854. Of this marriage was born Thomas F. Torrison, in Manitowoc, on the 10th of October, 1855. He received his primary education in the public schools of Manitowac; and after that he took a six years' course in Luther college, Decorah, Iowa, from which he graduated in June, 1876. After leaving college he began work in his father's general store, and, in time, acquired such knowledge of the business that for the last eight years he has had entire management of it. Besides this mercantile business, he has been president of the Manitowoc Seating company since its organization. In politics he is a pronounced Republican, but not an "offensive" one, as shown by the fact that his fellow-citizen have elected him to the county board of supervisors, the board of aldermen and three times mayor of the city; and last spring he was endorsed for re-election by both the Republican and Democratic city conventions for a fourth term of two years, which is a remarkably flattering testimonial to the efficiency of his official service and to his character and popularity as a citizen. He has also held the position of member of the city school board for six years. He is a member of the Lutheran church of Manitowoc. Mr. Torrison was married on the 2nd of June, 1884, to Jorgine Tostenson, at Manitowoc. They have had three children, but only one of them is living--Anker Osuld, eleven years old.
Photo from From "Notable Men of Wisconsin 1901-1902"
JOSEPH TOUCIAL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.322-323. Joseph Toucial is engaged in general farming and stock-raising on section 21 of Cato township, where he owns one hundred and twenty acres of land, that is well improved and under high cultivation. He is a native of Manitowoc county, his birth having occurred on the 9th of September, 1857, and the only son of Barbara Toucial. Of his father he knows absolutely nothing, but his mother was born and reared in Germany, where her parents passed their entire lives. In 1856, she emigrated to the United States coming directly to this county and purchasing twenty acres of land in Cato township, where she lived until her death on October 28, 1909, at the age of eighty-four years. She is buried in St. Mary’s cemetery at Clarks Mills. Joseph Toucial was reared by his mother until he had attained the age of twelve years, obtaining his education in the district schools of this township. He became a wage earner in 1869 and for ten years thereafter he worked for the farmers in this vicinity. As he was ambitious and wished to acquire a place of his own, he carefully saved a portion of his earnings until he had accumulated the means to purchase land. In 1879, at the age of twenty-two years, he bought forty acres on section 21, of this township, that formed the nucleus of his present farm. He industriously applied himself to the cultivation of his land, in connection with which he also raised stock, meeting with such success in both branches of the business that he was later able to extend the boundaries of his farm until he had acquired one hundred and twenty acres. Ninety-five acres of this is under cultivation, his principal products being grain and clover seed, and in connection with general farming, Mr. Toucial is engaged in dairying, and is now milking seventeen cows of graded stock including some pure bred Holsteins. He is also breeding and raising Percheron horses and this undertaking is proving to be lucrative. His supervision is given to everything about the farm in the operation of which he uses intelligence and good judgment as is manifested by its general appearance, and he is meeting with substantial returns. He takes great pride in his place which is well kept up and splendidly equipped and provided with various modern conveniences and comforts to lessen the drudgery and expedite the work. In 1898 he erected a barn forty-two by seventy-six feet with cement floors and patent stanchions and he has also built substantial outbuildings, thus providing ample shelter for his stock, grain and machinery. His residence is a two-story frame building, which was erected before he bought the place but was remodeled in 1903. Mr. Toucial has also built a silo and he has installed a water system, for all purposes, the supply being drawn from drilled wells. As his means have warranted he has introduced various improvements about the place consistent with the spirit of progress he at all times manifests, and he now has one of the most attractive and valuable properties in Cato township. In April, 1880, Mr. Toucial was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Schmidt, a daughter of Wenzel and Mary Schmidt, natives of Germany and there they were also reared and married. About 1846 they emigrated to the United States, settling in Manitowoc county. The father purchased forty acres of uncultivated land in this township, and applied himself to its further improvement for many years. He and the mother continued to live there until about two years before his death when they removed to Rockland to reside with their son. There he passed away on the 12th of November, 1884, at the age of sixty-five, but the mother was eighty-three at the time of her death on September 13, 1902. They were both laid to rest in the cemetery at Clarks Mills. Their family numbered seven, of whom the fifth was Mrs. Toucial, whose natal day was June 29, 1858. Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Toucial, as follows: Mary, the eldest, who is the wife of Michael Dent, of Wood county, by whom she has had two children; Frank, likewise a resident of Wood county, who is married and has two children; Annie, who married Robert Gensky and is living in Brillion, Wisconsin; Emma, who is at home; Theresa, the wife of John Schad, of Quarry, who has one child; Edward, who is a cheese maker; and Anton and John, who are also at home, as is likewise Agnes, the youngest member of the family. Joseph, who was the ninth in order of birth, died in childhood. In matters of faith the family are communicants of the Roman Catholic church, being members of St. Mary's parish at Clarks Mills, and Mr. Toucial belongs to the Knights of Wisconsin. His allegiance in matters politic he accords to the men and measures of the democratic party, but he has never been an office seeker, although for three years he served on the school board. In every sense of the word Mr. Toucial is a self-made man and deserves much credit for what he has achieved, as he began his independent career at the age of twelve and has made his way alone, receiving no assistance save such as is accorded every business man of recognized standing and integrity. He is respected in the community where he has resided during the greater part of his life, being known as a man of upright principles and industrious habits who conducts all of his transactions in an honorable manner. JACOB TROSSEN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.196-197. Jacob Trossen, who is now living a retired life in his comfortable home at No. 1606 Twentieth street, Two Rivers, Wisconsin, was for many years one of the leading agriculturists of the town of Mishicot, and has seen the country grow and develop from a wild waste of timber land to a flourishing farming and commercial center. He was born April 23, 1830, at Crov, Germany, and is a son of Jacob, Sr., and Frances (Kline) Trossen. Jacob Trossen, Sr., was the owner of a vineyard in Germany, and in 1847 brought his wife and five children, Jacob, Nicholas, Kate, Emma and Mary, to the United States, the ocean journey consuming fifty-two days. The family came to Two Rivers by way of Milwaukee, arriving on the old sailboat Henderson on the 20th of July. For three or four days they resided at the home of Deacon Smith and then went up the Mishicot River, seeking land, finally locating on a tract in section 8, where the father erected a log cabin. During the early days, at the time when there were no roads cut through, the boys made many trips to Two Rivers, returning with flour and other provisions which they received in exchange for the oats, potatoes and rutabaga that they raised on the farm, and they also made a trip to Milwaukee and bought an ox team. Preeminently courageous and resourceful, these struggling settlers on the raw farms of the town of Mishicot displayed a wonderful readiness in adapting themselves to conditions and in meeting emergencies, and the hardihood and energy displayed in upbuilding and preserving a comfortable home has had its reward in the knowledge that their lives had not been lived in vain and that their community is the better for their having lived in it. Jacob Trossen was reared to the life of an agriculturist, and although his chances for an education were not very extensive he made the most of his opportunities and became a well-informed man. He was continuously engaged in farming up to the time of his retirement, and is known as an authority on matters agricultural. In September, 1856, Mr. Trossen was married to Christina Herges, who was also a native of Germany and came to the United States to join her brother, Peter. She died in 1862, at the age of thirty-two years, having been the mother of four children: Anna, Nicholas, Jacob and Catherine, of whom the sons are deceased. In 1863 Mr. Trossen was married to Barbara Wenner, who was born April 1, 1845, a native of Germany who came to the United States with her parents, Peter and Lucy Wenner, old settlers of Denmark. To this union there were born the following children: Peter, Lizzie, Joseph, Louis, May, Rose, Clara and George. Mr. Trossen’s political faith is that of the democratic party and he has served on the town board two years and as assessor one year. With his family he attends the Catholic church. NICHOLAS TROSSEN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin", by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.170-173. Nicholas Trossen, who for many years was one of the leading agriculturists of the town of Mishicot, died August 15, 1911, and Manitowoc county lost in his passing one of its pioneers who assisted materially in the development of his community. Mr. Trossen was born May 24, 1836, at Crov, Germany, a son of Jacob and Frances (Kline) Trossen. Jacob Trossen was the owner of a vineyard in Germany, and in 1847 came to America with his wife and five children, Jacob, Nicholas, Kate, Emma and Mary. Fifty-two days were spent in crossing the ocean, and they arrived in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, on July 20, on the old ship “Henderson” from Milwaukee. For three or four days they resided in the old house of Deacon Smith, and they then went up the Mishicot river looking for land, eventually locating on section 8, where the father erected a log cabin. Nicholas Trossen grew up on this farm, attending the parochial schools for a short time, although his educational advantages were somewhat limited, as he was needed to work on the home place. On September 26, 1864, Mr. Trossen enlisted for service in Company E, Twenty-seventh Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, for one year, and on his return he settled on a farm of eighty acres on section 36, in the town of Mishicot. He first lived in a log house and during the early days carried flour on his back from Two Rivers. Later he took vegetables to that point to exchange them for the needed family provisions, which he hauled by ox-team to the little home. As time went on he erected better and more substantial buildings, and at the time of his death was one of the leading agriculturists of his community. On May 30, 1863, he was married to Mary Ternes, who was born September 7, 1844, in Germany, came to America at the age of three years, and died August 29, 1878, having been the mother of the following children: Mary, born August 4, 1864; August, born April 12, 1866; Isabel, born November 24, 1867, who died February 11, 1868; Kate, born November 22, 1868, who died January 9, 1869; Rose, born January 14, 1870; Isabel, born January 21, 1872; John, born June 18, 1873; William, born October 9, 1874; Clara, born August 12, 1876, who died July 14, 1877; and Arnold, born August 18, 1878, who died April 1, 1879. On February 24, 1880, Mr. Trossen was married to Minnie Burgwald, who was born September 17, 1859, in Mecklenburg, Germany, a daughter of John and Christina (Monk) Burgwald, who came to America in 1871, settled first in the town of Gibson and then located in the town of Mishicot, where Mr. Burgwald died in 1901, at the age of eighty years, his widow still surviving at the age of eighty-four. In the Burgwald family were three children, Minnie, Henrietta and Hannah, deceased. Of the union of Nicholas Trossen to Minnie Burgwald one daughter was born, Lillian, on April 2, 1889. In political matters, Mr. Trossen was a democrat, and he was fraternally connected with the Masonic fraternity at Two Rivers, and the Sons of Herman.
FRANK TUPPER Husband: Frank Tupper Father: Mark Tupper Mother: Welthy Wet Occupation: Laborer Residence: Two Rivers Birthplace: Prospect, Fond. Co., Wisconsin (That would be Fond Du Lac County) Wife: Agnes O'Connell Nee O'Donnell Father: John O'Donnell Mother: Mary Wilson Birthplace: Anto Creek, Jackson Co., Iowa Date of Marriage: May 15, 1907 Place of Marriage: Two Rivers, Manitowoc Co. Color of Parties: White Type of Ceremony: Catholic Suscribing Witnesses: Collins and Mary Gauthier Clergy or Other: Claude C. Sfuga, Two Rivers HARVEY GRISWOLD TURNER Harvey Griswold Turner, Manitowoc. Joseph and Mary Griswold Turner were the parents of H.G. Turner and at the time of his birth they were living at East Oswego, New York, the town in which young Harvey passed his boyhood, and in which he received all the educational advantages that he ever enjoyed. He was born June 7, 1822, and as soon as it was feasible was sent to the Oswego Academy. His stay at that institution of learning was for a brief time, as he immigrated at an early age from his native town and became, in the spring of 1840, an inhabitant of the then territory of Wisconsin. He entered the law office of Finch & Lynde in Milwaukee when the firm first organized, and applied himself to the study of the law. In the year 1844 he was admitted to the bar, and has since had an extensive practice, and among others in the counties of Milwaukee, Washington, Ozaukee and Manitowoc, as also in the supreme court of the state. Mr. Turner was a member of the second constitutional convention, has also been state senator, county judge, district attorney, and has filled various local offices. (The Bench and Bar of Wisconsin: History and Biography, with Portrait Illustrations by Parker McCobb Reed, publ. 1882, page 290)