[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
ROBERT BUBOLZ This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.101-102. Robert Bubolz, the efficient and hard-working treasurer of Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, has been identified with agricultural interests many years and is now the owner of a fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres situated in Maple Grove township. Mr. Bubolz was born in Manitowoc county, May 30, 1862, and is a son of Fred and Augusta (Mueller) Bubolz, and a grandson of Daniel and Charlotte (Bergemann) Bubolz. The grandparents of Mr. Bubolz came to the United States in 1856 with their sons, Fred, Daniel and Ferdinand; Charles, their eldest son, who was married and had children, followed them one month later, the family going through the woods to Reedsville, where the grandfather purchased a tract of wild land in Rockland township, Manitowoc county, of which but one acre had been cleared. In 1861, Daniel and Ferdinand Bubolz enlisted for service in the Civil war, and in 1864, Fred and Charles joined the Union army, and Charles and Ferdinand lost their lives during that struggle. In 1861 Fred Bubolz was married to Augusta Mueller, who was a daughter of Michael and Eva (Birkholz) Mueller, natives of Germany, who brought their family to the United States in 1854 and settled on wild land near Reedsville, Manitowoc county, where both died. Mr. Mueller was a wagon maker by trade, but in this country followed farming as a means of livelihood. Fred Bubolz died in October, 1909, while his widow still survives and makes her home on the old farm. Ten children were born to them: Robert; Amelia, who married Louis Grinn, a farmer and merchant of Cato, Wisconsin; Bertha, who married Louis Klessing, a resident of Rockland township; Ida, who married John Wordel, a farmer of Maple Grove township; Augusta, who married Otto Mahnke, of Rockland township; Rosalina, who married August Reschke, a resident of that township; Henry, who is engaged in farming in Rockland township; Fred, on the old homestead; and William and Adolph, who are also engaged in cultivating the home farm. The family is connected with the Lutheran church. Robert Bubolz received his education in the country schools, and at the age of twenty-five years purchased his present farm in Maple Grove township from his father. He now has a well cultivated tract of one hundred and twenty acres, on which he conducts a general and dairy farm, having a fine herd of Holstein cattle. He has served as township assessor for ten years, and has also been prominently identified with educational work. In 1908 he was elected on the democratic ticket to the office of county treasurer, running nineteen hundred votes ahead of his ticket, and was reelected to that office in 1910, when he ran twenty-one hundred votes ahead. On June 19, 1887, Mr. Bubolz was married to Bertha Bergemann, who was born in Germany, daughter of Charles Bergemann, who brought his family to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1869. Mr. and Mrs. Bubolz have had six children, namely: Clara, William, Ida, Freda, Annie and Bertha. Mr. Bubolz is a member of the Lutheran church.
ROBERT F. BUBOLZ This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.319-320. Robert F. Bubolz, a native of this county, where he was born February 25, 1858, and now a prosperous farmer of sections 9 and 14 in the town of Rockland, owns two hundred acres of land, and is a representative agriculturist. His parents were Charles and Wilhelmina Bubolz, natives of Germany, who came to the United States in 1856, buying forty acres of wild land on which they settled. After six years they bought eighty acres which is now comprised in the farm of their son, Robert F., and on it the father died when the latter was seven years old. The mother made her home upon the farm until she died August 24, 1910, aged eighty-one years. Robert F. was the fourth of their seven children, and looked after his mother until her demise. At present he has one hundred and sixty acres under cultivation, and has all his fields fenced with barbed wire or rail. Hogs, grain and clover seed form his chief products, aside from his dairy, for which he milks twenty cows. One barn is thirty-six by ninety-eight feet, and was built thirty years ago, while another one, thirty-two by ninety-six feet was put up eighteen years ago. In 1881, the two-story frame residence was erected, and provides a comfortable home for the family. In 1885, Mr. Bubolz married Mary Haese, a daughter of Charles and Fredricka Haese, natives of Germany. Coming to America in 1856, they settled in Manitowoc county, where the mother still lives at the age of about sixty-five years, but the father died in 1891. There were nine children in the Haese family, Mrs. Bubolz being the second, and born August 24, 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Bubolz have had seven children, as follows: Otto, John, Reinhart, Freda, Walter, Lena and Sophia who died when four years old. In politics, he is a republican, and has served two terms on the board of supervisors. He and his family are members of the Lutheran church of Reedsville. Industrious, thrifty, and intelligent, he is a successful farmer and worthy citizen. JOHN BUENZOW From the Two Rivers Reporter, Saturday, Jan. 24, 1914: OLD TIMERS - (photo with article) The most interesting period in the life of John J. Buenzow is his four years service in the Civil war. He came to America with his parents in August 1856. Besides John, two other children, sisters came along. They landed at Two Rivers and were quartered at the Boldus house several days. Then they moved up to Neshoto. Here John found employment in the saw mill for a time. When the war came he went to Manitowoc in October 1861 and enlisted in company A., first battalion U.S. infantry. His war experiences include many battles, narrow escapes from death and long imprisonment in southern dungeons and filthy stockades. At the battle of Chickamauga Mr. Buenzow was wounded in the arm just as he was about to discharge the rifle at the enemy. Then he lay on the ground and feigned death as the enemy swept past and one said, "there lies one dead Yankee." But he started to crawl around to the other side of a log to escape the bullets which were flying thick and while doing so was discovered by a rebel who marched him to the rear a prisoner. Mr. Buenzow's imprisonment lasted nineteen months at different places including Libbey, Andersonville, Blackshere, Savannah, Thomasville and Millen. The longest period of his imprisonment was at Andersonville. He says that at one time a well perfected plan of escape was almost carried out by about 2500 of the prisoners at Andersonville. They had dug a tunnel underneath the stockade which was not discovered by the sentries. Every able bodied man was provided with a club and ready to make a break for liberty through the tunnel and attack the guard to get possession of arms outside. But a few hours before the time set a traitor reported the facts to the rebels. This man was a cripple who could therefore not take advantage of the opportunity to escape. He came to a bad end for his meanness. His comrades rushed at him intending to hang him. To escape them he crossed the "dead line" and was shot dead by the sentry. After long months of insufficient food and shelter and scant clothing and terrible hardships the prisoners were exchanged and in June 1865 Mr. Buenzow was again among friends at Jacksonville, Fla. From there he went to army headquarters at Oswego, N.Y., and soon after, the war being over, he was honorably discharged. He had saved up considerable of his army pay and this money he invested in land. He acquired 120 acres up near Neshoto where he resides. This is in the district commonly known as the "school section." While Mr. and Mrs. Buenzow still work when so inclined, their sons now run the farm and the old folks don't have to work unless they wish to. They are both in excellent health at the age of 73. Mrs. Buenzow is just one month and one day older than her husband. She came to America with her parents when six years of age, about three years sooner than Mr. Buenzow. They were married forty-six years ago. Mr. Buenzow was born in New Fore Pomern, Stalbrote, Germany in 1841. He is among the well preserved and robust veterans and is now commander of the Jos. Rankin Post G.A.R. of Two Rivers.
FREDERICK C. BUERSTATTE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.47-48. Frederick C. Buerstatte, who is now living retired after nearly forty years spent in the drug business in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, has been a resident of this county for more than sixty years, and is an honored veteran of the Civil war, in which he received wounds the scars which he carries to this day. He is a native of the Fatherland, having been born September 12, 1846, in Elberfeld, Prussia, and is a son of Henry M. and Maria (Meister) Buerstatte. Mr. Buerstatte’s parents were married in Germany and came to the United States in May, 1850, settling in Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, where the father purchased a tract of unbroken land on which he resided until his death, November 12, 1887, at which time he had a good, well cultivated property. He and his wife had a family of eight children, one of whom died in infancy, while two sons and five daughters survive. Frederick C. Buerstatte received his education in the public schools, and when not yet eighteen years of age, on February 12, 1864, he enlisted for service in the Union army, becoming a private of the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteers, from which organization he received his honorable discharge, July 20, 1865. During this time he saw active and strenuous service, and he was wounded May 15, 1864, and again in March, 1865. After the war, in which he made an excellent record for bravery and faithfulness to duty, Mr. Buerstatte attended Baldwin (Ohio) University, graduating in pharmacy, and for two years thereafter he was engaged as a clerk. On March 16, 1872, he opened a drug store in Manitowoc, which he has continued to own to the present time, although he has now retired from active labor and the establishment is being conducted by his sons. On September 20, 1871, Mr. Buerstatte was married to Augusta Gennrich, who was born in Germany, daughter of August Gennrich, who brought his family to the United States in 1856. Mrs. Buerstatte died in 1904, having been the mother of ten children, as follows: Julius, an electrician of Manitowoc; Richard, who is engaged in the drug business in this city; Fred, a professor in the Missouri School of Mines; Charles, a druggist; Zeralda, who is engaged in teaching; Lillie, who married George Hollander; Octavia, who married Fred Grolle; Junietta, a teacher; Grace, who resides at home; and Amanda, the second in order of birth, who was a nurse, now deceased. The family are members of the Methodist church. Mr. Buerstatte has been alderman of the first ward for four years, and is fraternally connected with the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. (the following bio. from "History of North Wisconsin", publ. 1881) F.C. Buerstatte, druggist, Manitowoc, was born Sept. 12, 1846, in Prussia. At the age of four years he came with his parents to this place; he enlisted December, 1863, Co. F, 26th Wis. I., and served to the end of the war; participated in the battles of Resaca, Ga., Kenesaw Mountain, Ga., Peach Tree Creek, Siege of Atlanta, and others. In 1867 he returned to Manitowoc and at once commenced to learn the druggist trade; after serving his apprenticeship, he established this business in 1872. Married in 1871 to Augusta Gennrich, of Germany. They have four children, three sons and one daughter. ********* Soldiers’ And Citizens’ Album Biographical Record Grand Army Of The Republic 1888 Page 410: F. C. BUERSTATTE, of Manitowoc, Wis., a member of G.A.R. Post No. 18, was born Sept. 12, 1846, near Elberfeldt, Germany. He was four years old when his parents, Henry M. and Mary (Meister) Buerstatte, removed from their native land to Manitowoc and the son has passed his entire life, with the exception of his soldier career in that place. He was still a boy when the assault was made on the Untied States flag at Sumter and as soon as possible, enlisted as a soldier. He enrolled Feb. 12, 1864, at Manitowoc, in Company F. 26th Wisconsin Infantry for three years. In June, 1865, he was transferred to the 3rd Wisconsin Infantry and received final discharge July 20. 1865, at Louisville, Ky. He joined the regiment as a recruit, making connection with the command in time to participate in the battle of Resaca. He was wounded in that action May 14th, 1864, and was one of the four men from Company F. who were injured that day. He was not again in action until the last battle in which the regiment participated at Bentonville, preceding the surrender of Johnston. He went with the regiment through Richmond and Virginia and to Washington, whence he proceeded to Louisville, Ky., with others whose service was unexpired, where he was mustered out as stated. He returned to Manitowoc and obtained a situation in a drug store, acquiring a completed knowledge of the business which he has made his vocation in life, and in which he established himself in March, 1872. He was married Sept. 20, 1871, to Augusta H. J. Generich of Manitowoc and they have four sons and four daughters: Julius H.C., Amanda M,. Richard T., Fred W., Charles A. L, Zeralda H., Lillie J., Octavia A.
JULIUS H. C. BUERSTATTE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.218-219. Julius H. C. Buerstatte, a well known business man of Manitowoc, Wisconsin, engaged in electrical contracting and the handling of electrical supplies, was born in this city, July 6, 1872, and is a son of Frederick C. and Augusta (Gennrich) Buerstatte and a grandson of Henry M. and Maria (Meister) Buerstatte, who came to the United States from Germany in May, 1850. They settled in Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, the grandfather buying a tract of wild land on which he carried on agricultural operations until his death, November 12, 1887. Frederick C. Buerstatte, father of Julius H. C., was born in Elberfield, Prussia, September 12, 1846, and received his education in the district schools of Manitowoc county, whence he had come with his parents when four years of age. When not yet eighteen years of age, he enlisted, February 12, 1864, in the Twenty-sixth Wisconsin Volunteers, and served bravely and faithfully until he received his honorable discharge, July 20, 1865, having been wounded May 15, 1864, and again in March, 1865. He attended the university at Berea, Ohio, from which he was graduated in pharmacy, and then was employed as a drug clerk for two years, after which he opened an establishment of his own in Manitowoc, which he still owns, although it is being conducted by his sons, Mr. Frederick C. Buerstatte having retired. He was married September 20, 1871, to Augusta Gennrich, also a native of Germany, a daughter of August Gennrich who brought his family to the United States in 1856. She died in 1904. having been the mother of ten children, as follows: Julius H. C.; Amanda, a nurse, who died at the age of thirty years; Richard, engaged in the drug business; Fred, a professor in the Missouri School of Mines; Charles, a druggist; Zeralda, a teacher; Lillie, who married George Hollander; Octavia, who married Fred Grolle; Junietta, a teacher; and Grace, residing at home. The family is connected with the Methodist church. Frederick C. Buerstatte has been alderman from the first ward for four years, and is a member of the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. Julius H. C. Buerstatte received a high-school education and then took an electrical engineering course of two years in the university at Madison. From 1894 until 1905 he was superintendent of the Manitowoc Electric Light Company, but eventually entered the contracting business. In addition, he also handles a full line of electrical supplies. Mr. Buerstatte served through the Spanish-American war as a member of the crew of the auxilliary cruiser, supply ship and flag ship Resolute, and participated in the battles of Santiago, Manzanillo and Guantanamo, in the first of which six hundred Spanish prisoners were taken. He was among those who received prize money from three different battles. On October 31, 1900, Mr. Buerstatte was married to Sophia Eberhardt, who was born in Manitowoc, a daughter of Fred and Dorothea Eberhardt, early settlers of this section. Four children have been born to this union: Helene, Thomas and Dorothea, and a twin of Thomas who died in infancy.
HENRY D. BUETTNER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.599-600. Henry D. Buettner is proprietor of a hotel and saloon at Meggers corner in Schleswig township, where he also deals in general merchandise and agricultural implements. He was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, in 1847, a son of Hans and Marguerita (Arps) Buettner, who came with their son Henry to America. They were early settlers of this part of Wisconsin, father and son being associated in the purchase and ownership of a farm, after which time the father devoted his energies to general agricultural pursuits until the weight of advanced years caused him to put aside business cares. He was born in 1815 and died February 13, 1908, when almost ninety-three years of age. For about a quarter of a century he survived his wife, whose death occurred in 1884, when she was seventy-five years of age. Henry D. Buettner spent the first sixteen years of his life in Germany and in 1863 sailed with his parents for the United States, their destination being Holstein township, Calumet county. He was afterward part owner of a farm in connection with his father and lived upon that place until 1880, when he purchased a farm in the town of Schleswig and lived there until 1890 and then purchased the store of Henry Meggers. He conducts a general store and in 1909 increased the scope of his activities by the establishment of a farm implement department. He also conducts a hotel and saloon and is an energetic business man whose industry has formed the basis of the success which has crowned his labors. Mr. Buettner has been married twice. He first wedded Ida Freese, also a native of Schleswig—Holstein, and they became the parents of four children: Christian, who is associated in business with his father; Marguerita at home; Anna, the wife of Jacob Raquet, a carpenter of Schleswig township by whom she has two children; and Ida, who is the wife of Rudolph Roeh of South Dakota, by whom she has one child. Mrs. Buettner passed away in 1879 and Mr. Buettner afterward wedded Catherina Rothfock, a native of Germany and a daughter of John Rothfock. There are five children of the second marriage: Emma, now the wife of Charles Temke, of Holstein township; John, at home; Meta, who is the wife of Emil Weber, of Holstein township, and has one child: and Minnie and Lilly, both at home. Mr. Buettuer is a member of the Holstein Turn Society. He served as postmaster at Meggers from 1890 until 1902, when the postoffice was abolished owing to the establishment of rural routes. He has never been active in politics, preferring to concentrate his energies upon business affairs, which have claimed all of his time and attention. He is popular among the German American residents of this locality, possessing a social, genial nature, and the guests of his hotel have high regard for their host.
JOS. BUGLER From the Manitowoc County Chronicle December 1, 1906 Jos. Bugler was one of the lucky hunters to return from the woods with the proper share of venison.
HENRY C. BUHSE From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 526 County Clerk, Manitowoc, is a native of Mechlenburg, Germany; born July 3, 1843; came to Milwaukee with his parents Aug. 11, 1848. In the fall they removed to Waukesha County, settled on a farm, where they remained till 1857, when he came to Two Rivers, where he attended school; afterward clerk in the Post Office. In the spring of 1861, he went to Madison, where he also attended school. He enlisted in Company B, 9th Wis. I.; served three years; was promoted to orderly sergeant, September, 1862, and in 1864 was commissioned first lieutenant, Co. A, 45th Wis. December, 1864, he returned to Two Rivers, followed the fishing business, then removed to Chicago, where he remained about a year; returned to Two Rivers, and was employed by the Two Rivers Manufacturing Co. He afterward went to California, Oregon, and other points. In the Fall of 1880, he was elected County Clerk; he has also held various other local offices.
JOHN J. BUKOLT This is a bio. sketch from the Diamond Jubilee of Casimirs Catholic church in Northeim (Newton) Former Prominent Manufacturer at Stevens Point
John J. Bukolt
John J. Bukolt was born at Northeim, Wis., on January 20, 1869, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ignace Bukolt, who came from Poland (Prussia) directly to Northeim in 1865 with the vanguard of Polish pioneers and settled here for some years. The Bukolt family from the very arrival at Northeim became a prominent promoter of St. Casimir's parish at Northeim, and even today is still remembered for its honesty, integrity, fine spirit of neighborly cooperation and outstanding attachment to their Catholic faith and devotion to their local church. Like the rest of the Polish immigrants, they began farming at Northeim. They had to work hard in order to make a living in their new homeland. They did not, however, overlook the opportunity in this free country to give the best education to their children. John remained at home and gave his father assistance on the farm, in the meantime attending the public schools. When still a boy, the family moved to Oasis, in Waushara county, but John's desire was to take up a business course, which he really accomplished at Stevens Point Business College. During the summer vacations he worked for the Stevens Point Manufacturing Company to pay for his further education. Finding himself mechanically inclined, John selected a vocation in which he could be utilized and developed. For one year he worked in the wood turning department of the Rice Brothers' Foundry. Afterwards he joined the Calvert & French Company, and remained there for two years. In the meantime, the Bukolt family moved to Stevens Point. John persuaded his father to open a small wood working shop on Union Street. From boyhood, John showed an inventive genius and in this first shop in 1893, he made church altars, statues, and fixtures of all kind, turning out work by hand and displaying unusual skill in carving. Shortly afterwards the first factory was built at the site of the present large plant. Mr. John Bukolt had invented the first automatic cradle, and apparatus in which thousands of babies all over the world were destined to be rocked to sleep. In 1897, Mr. Bukolt perfected the first swinging crib, at the suggestion of his wife. The manufacture of this device was continued in the woodshed of his father and the upstairs bedroom in the Bukolt residence at 329 North Street served as a finishing room. Up to 1904, this growing enterprise operated under the name of "The American Novelty Company." From that year on, this firm had been incorporated under the name of "The Automatic Cradle Manufacturing Company," and continued until February 1929, when it was changed to "The Lullabye Furniture Corporation." As the business continuously grew, the original small plant had to be enlarged several times. More than a dozen patents have been obtained on the various articles invented by Mr. Bukolt and his seven sons. The business has grown to such an extent that present manufacture includes 167 different articles. Mr. John Bukolt was married on June 27, 1894, to Miss Philomena Gliniecki of Polonia, Wis. They became parents of one daughter and seven sons. Mr. John Bukolt was a member of St. Peter's Catholic Church, Stevens Point, and an honorary member of St. John's court of Foresters. For many years he also was Honorary President of St. Peter's Choir being its organizer. He also held membership in the Stevens Point lodge of Elks, and of the Stevens Point Rotary Club. He died on August 24, 1929 at his home, fortified with the Sacraments of the Catholic Church, lamented by the many friends he left behind. St. Peter's church proved too small to accommodate all the mourners. Twelve priests and over one hundred cars in cortege proceeded from the church to the Guardian Angel cemetery to pay their last respects to this man of fine character. The many noble deeds of charity during his lifetime remain an everlasting monument after his death.
JOSEPH BURBANK Birth Certificate, Volume #16, Page 3812 Name: Joseph Burbank Color/Sex: White/Male Born: Feb. 23, 1912 At 11 A.M., Two Rivers, Wisconsin Father: John Burbank - Age 26, born Wisconsin Occ: Laborer Mother: Clara St. Jermain - Age 19, born Canada Occ: Housewife Name Of Physician: R.M. Farrell Residence Of Physician: Two Rivers Date Of Registration: March 7, 1912 Registrar: E. Gates
HENRY B. BURGER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.5-6. Manitowoc has largely owed her prosperity to her shipbuilding interests, and prominent among the representatives of this field of industry stood Henry B. Burger. His name in this connection became known among the representatives of shipping interests all through the region bordering the Great Lakes. His labors, too, were an important source of progress and prosperity for Manitowoc and his name came to be recognized as a synonym for enterprising, progressive and reliable business methods. Mr. Burger was a native of Germany, his birth having occurred on December 21, 1839. He was seven years of age when his parents left the fatherland and sailed for the new world, establishing the family home at Jeffersonville, New York, where they resided for ten years and then came to Wisconsin, settling first at Milwaukee. There Henry B. Burger obtained his first practical knowledge of the business which was to become his life work. He secured employment in the old Wolff shipyards, where he remained until he came to Manitowoc in 1873 and embarked in business on his own account. His career as a shipbuilder is the story of the development of the shipbuilding industry of this city and it was largely through his efforts that the city attained to its present prominence as a shipbuilding center. During his connection with the original company which operated under the name of Greene, Rand & Burger, many boats were launched. One of the first large boats built by the company was the Orion, a six hundred ton sidewheeler, which became the property of the Goodrich Company. Many other boats of the Goodrich line were also built in the shipyards in which Mr. Burger was interested. His early practical training well qualified him to direct the labors of those who served under him and the business was advanced along substantial lines that brought success. In 1887 Mr. Burger purchased the dry-dock which had been established by an independent company seventeen years before. This he enlarged, conducting it in conjunction with his other ship interests and the two concerns furnished employment to a large number of peopie and constituted an important source of income for the city. In 1866 Mr. Burger launched the schooner Fleet Wing, built for Peter Johnson, this being one of the first drafts of its kind to sail the lakes. In 1866 the firm of Greene, Rand & Burger was succeeded by Burger & Burger, at which time Henry B. Burger of this review admitted his nephew George B. to a partnership. They operated the yards until 1902, when they sold out to the Manitowoc Dry Dock Company, and Mr. Burger who had so long been associated with the business retired to private life to enjoy well earned rest. The Burger yards were known all over the Great Lakes as among the most successful and reliable in business and Mr. Burger at all times enjoyed the respect of his workmen and all who served under him. On the 4th of November, 1863, Mr. Burger was united in marriage to Miss Mary Esslinger, and they had four children who died in childhood and reared two adopted daughters: Mrs. A. Moeller, now of Milwaukee; and Emma, who died in September, 1908. The death of Mr. Burger occurred June 26, 1907, and Manitowoc lost a citizen whom she had long known and honored. He never sought nor held public office but was always interested in the city’s welfare and gave his time and means to support any project for the public good. He stood as a splendid type of the business man, alert, energetic and far-seeing. He was never afraid to take the initiative nor to venture where favoring opportunity led the way. Starting out in life without any vaulting ambition to accomplish something especially great or famous, he followed the lead of his opportunities, doing as best he could anything that came to hand and seizing legitimate advantages as they arose. He never hesitated to take a forward step when the way was open. Though content with what he attained as he went along, he was always ready to make an advance. Fortunate in possessing ability and character that inspired confidence in others, the simple weight of his character carried him into important relations with large interests. (the following bio. from "History of North Wisconsin", publ. 1881, p. 526) Henry B. Burger, firm of Rand & Burger, ship builders, Manitowoc, is a native of Germany, born Dec. 17, 1839; came to New York in 1848, with his parents. In 1857 came to Milwaukee where he commenced to learn the ship building trade, which he has since followed. In 1872, came to Manitowoc; the following year he became a member of this firm. They are doing a very extensive business, and have built some of the largest vessels on the lakes. Married in 1863, to Miss Mary Esslinger. She was born in Buffalo, New York. They have four children.
Henry B. Burger
ANNA BURMEISTER From the Manitowoc Pilot, MARCH 1, 1906 ANNA BURMEISTER SECURES DIVORCE In circuit court Wednesday morning, Feb. 21, Anna Burmeister was granted a divorce from Henry Burmeister on the grounds of cruelty. Burmeister offered no defense. The mother was given custody of the children. Burmeister must pay $240 a year for the support of the children, in equaly monthly installments.
BYRON BURMEISTER From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 526 Dealer in fruit, and vessel owner, Manitowoc, was born April 20, 1852 in Mishicott, Wis. In the fall of 1859, the family removed to Two Rivers; in 1863 came to Manitowoc. At the age of sixteen he commenced to learn the carpenter trade, continuing about six years, sailing at intervals. In 1875 he bought the schooner "Alice," 12 tons measurement. Sold her in the Winter of 1876, and bought the schooner "Eliza," of 30 tons. In 1879 he traded her for the "Ellen G. Cocharen," of 32 tons. Jan. 4, 1881, he, with his father, bought the schooner "Gertie Wing," of 17 tons, and in April, 1881, he, with his father and brother, bought the scow "W. R. Sloan," of 72 tons. They are employed in the bark and fruit trade. Their dock is on the south side of Eighth Street, on the east side of the street, and has a frontage of 150 feet. They have also a cellar 20x30 feet, for the storage of fruit. *********** "A History of Northern Michigan and Its People" by Perry Francis Powers 1912 Copyright Pages 600-601 BYRON BURMEISTER. - One of the prominent business men of northern Michigan is Byron Burmeister. He was born at Mishicott, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, on April 20, 1852. His parents were natives of Germany. His father, William Burmeister, was one of the pioneers of the county, settling at Mishicott in 1843. At an early age Byron Burmeister with his parents moved to Manitowoc, where he was reared until he was ten years of age. He accompanied his father back to Germany, where he attended school for one year. They made the trip to Germany in a sailing vessel, being on the way five weeks, and while abroad visited London, Hamburg and many other noted cities and places. Upon his return to Wisconsin Byron continued to attend school, after which he followed the carpenter's trade for a few years. In 1865 he took to sailing and continued in that line of enterprise for just twenty years, first as a common sailor but at the age of twenty-three as a captain. At one time he was owner of several vessels. On the 20th of November, 1885, he established his home in Onekama, where he built a store and engaged in the general merchandise business. The fire of October 1, 1891, destroyed all his property, but as he held a partial insurance, he immediately commenced to construct another building, the one his store now occupies, which was completed on December 10th. At this time he recommenced a general mercantile business, in which he is still engaged. Soon after his arrival at Onekama he began to handle tan bark and cord wood, using his own vessels to transport these commodities to various ports of the Great Lakes. As agriculture in his county developed, he took up the shipping of farm products, until he became the heaviest shipper of these products in this part of the state. By nature Mr. Burmeister is honest and honorable, genial and kindly. His integrity is never questioned by either buyer or seller. In politics he is a Democrat. He has held various offices of a local nature for many years, in none of which he ever accepted compensation. He is ever on the alert to do all in his power to advance the general welfare of the community he has elected to make his home. At present he is president of the village of Onekama, and has been a member of the village council since the incorporation of Onekama in 1891. On September 9, 1885, Mr. Burmeister married Miss Mary Falge, of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. She was born in Austria Hungary, on October 22, 1866. At the age of three she came to America with her mother. At the time of her marriage she was a prominent school teacher of the city of Manitowoc. Mr. and Mrs. Burmeister have three children, namely: Alberta, born in 1886 ; William, in 1893 ; and Norma, in 1895. Alberta was graduated in the Onekama high school, after which she attended the Ferris Institute for one year, then entered the University of Michigan, from which institution she graduated in the class of 1908. At present she is assisting in the management of her father's business. William is a student in the local high school and Norma is just about to enter therein.
CHARLES BURMEISTER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.187-188. Charles Burmeister, an honored resident of Two Rivers township, has lived on his present farm on section 3, for more than sixty-one years, and has been closely identified with the progress and development of the agricultural interests of this part of the county from the time when it was still a wilderness. He was born March 16, 1845, in Mecklenburg, Germany, a son of Carl and Sophia (Summers) Burmeister, natives of Mecklenburg, who came to the United States in 1851 on a small sailing vessel which took seven weeks to accomplish the ocean voyage. Making their way west from New York city, the little party of emigrants settled in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, for a short time and then located on wild land on section 3, Two Rivers township. First clearing a space in the heavy timber, the father erected a small log shanty and stable and started to make a home for his family, and when he had cleared sixty-six acres of his land he put up a larger dwelling. Here he died at the age of sixty-seven years, while his widow survived him a number of years, passing away when she was eighty. They were members of the Evangelical Lutheran church of Two Rivers, and Mr. Burmeister was a republican although he never found time apart from his farming activities to engage in politics. Charles Burmeister, who is now the only one surviving of the children born to his parents, had but meager chances to obtain an education, as at an early age he had to do his full share of the work on the farm. He was reared to the life of an agriculturist and he has followed this calling throughout his life and for sixty-one years has lived on the home place. In 1864 he was married but the next year left home and farm to answer the call of his country and enlisted at Port Washington in Company D, Forty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. The regiment was first ordered to Milwaukee and thence proceeded to St. Louis, where a stay of one week was made, finally moving on to Fort Scott, Kansas. By this time, however, the great conflict had been terminated but, although peace was declared, the regiment stayed for a year on the Kansas plains before it was disbanded, at which time Mr. Burmeister was honorably discharged and returned to Two Rivers. He again undertook the work on his farm where he had left off and has ever since followed his vocation on the same property. On May 27, 1864, Mr. Burmeister was married to Ernstina Raatz, a native of Pomerania, Germany, who came to the United States in 1854 with her father, John Raatz, who settled in Two Rivers township and there engaged in agricultural pursuits. Mrs. Burmeister died in February, 1903, at the age of fifty-eight years, leaving three children: Henry, a farmer of Two Rivers township, who married Amelia Schmitz and had four children, Alwood, Carl, Edgar and Harry: Bertha, the wife of H. Rudie, of Gillett, Wisconsin, and the mother of six children, namely, Lottie, Arthur, Hilda, Norman, Edwin and Arline; and Fred, who now operates the home place and on November 25, 1903, married Bertha Schramm, of Two Rivers township, by whom he has one child, Merna. Charles Burmeister is a republican in politics and has held a number of township offices. He is well posted on civic and agricultural conditions of his district and is well known in Two Rivers township, where he has many warm personal friends.
J. K. BURNS
J.K. Burns taken from "Early Days In Two Rivers, Wisconsin" by Arthur Lohman
Thos. Burns taken from "Early Days In Two Rivers, Wisconsin" by Arthur Lohman
JOHN BUSSE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.187-188. John Busse, who has been a resident of Manitowoc county since 1874, was born in Germany, September 15, 1851, a son of Carl and Caroline Busse, both of whom were natives of that country. The father died in his native land and the mother, together with her family of two sons and three daughters, came to America in 1874, settling in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but soon after removed to Rapids, in Manitowoc county. John Busse grew to manhood in his native country, where he received a good education. He was but eighteen years of age when his father died, so that the duties of helping to support the family early devolved upon his shoulders. He was twenty-two years of age when he and his mother came to Manitowoc county, where for two or three years he was employed on a farm. In the town of Eaton he subsequently purchased land on which were very few improvements. He developed and cultivated this farm by hard and persistent labor and made of it one of the best homes in the community. He resided on it for a period of over thirty-three years, or until 1910, when he retired from active life. Mr. Busse wedded Miss Sophia Horstman, who was born in Kentucky. Her parents who came from Germany settled in Kentucky, and when she was about two years of age moved to Manitowoc county, near Liberty. Mrs. Busse passed away on June 13, 1906, at the home farm, where she had spent so many years of her life. In their family were five sons and three daughters, of whom two of the daughters passed away in infancy. The son, William Busse, was born March 25, 1884, on his father’s farm in Eaton, where he grew to manhood, receiving his education in the district schools of the neighborhood. At the age of eighteen he learned the carpenter’s trade, together with his brother John, and for three summers he followed that occupation. Subsequently he returned to the home farm, which he operated for three years. At the age of twenty-three he purchased the farm near Newton, where he now resides. In 1907 he married Miss Martha Wahlers, the daughter of John Wahlers, whose grandparents came from Germany to this country and settled near Newton. Mr. and Mrs. William Busse have two children: Wilbert, born August 13, 1908; and Marvin, born February 29, 1912. William Busse is vice president of the Liberty & Newton Telephone Company, and is well known in political circles, being chairman of the caucus committee of this district. Both he and his wife are members of the German Lutheran church at Newton. John Busse has always been greatly interested in the public welfare but never has sought or cared for political office, preferring to give his support to the community in a private way. He is a faithful and devout member of the German Lutheran church. Very successful in his farming interests and in his business relations in general, Mr. Busse has found in America those opportunities for advancement which he sought—opportunities that are open to the energetic and progressive man—and through these he has steadily worked his way upward and has ever been a most helpful and highly honored citizen of his adopted country.
LOUIS A. BUSSE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.295. Louis A. Busse, postmaster of the village of Reedsville, Wisconsin, and one of the prominent, public-spirited citizens of this locality, is the proprietor of the leading drug store of Reedsville. He was born in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, April 9, 1876, and is a son of W. A. and Margaret (Truettner) Busse, natives of Germany, who were married in Manitowoc, where W. A. Busse engaged in the shoe business, in which he continued until 1898, when he retired, and died in 1906, while his widow still survives at the age of seventy-one years. Louis A. Busse was the youngest of a family of eight children, six of whom are living, and received his education in the public schools of Manitowoc. After his graduation from the high school, in 1891, he entered the retail drug establishment of J. E. Barnstein, with whom he continued two years, and then took the state examination in pharmacy, at Chicago, also taking a course at the National Institute of Pharmacy in that city, and was graduated in 1894, at which time he came to Reedsville and established himself in his present business, the first to be founded in this village. In 1900 Mr. Busse was married to Miss Rose Stelling, the second of the five daughters born to F. F. and Phoebe (Lussenden) Stelling, natives of England, who came to America shortly after their marriage and settled in Boltonville, Wisconsin, where they died. Mrs. Busse was born July 8, 1879, and is the mother of three sons, Wallace F., Ralph H., and Louis W. Mr. Busse is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and is clerk of Reedsville Lodge No. 5219. In politics a republican, he has always been active in the ranks of his party, and has served as clerk of the school board, and in 1897 was appointed postmaster, a position which he has since held. Mr. and Mrs. Busse are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Reedsville.
Guila Bustabo is the daughter of Alexander and Blanche (Kaderabek) Bustabo. Blanche is the daughter of Joseph and Rosalie (Krajnik) Kaderabek.
Times Online Obituaries May 10, 2002 Guila Bustabo Violinist who became a star in Nazi Germany - to the detriment of her subsequent career GUILA BUSTABO was a popular and engaging American violinist who made her name in Europe during the 1930s. Her wartime concerts in Germany and occupied Europe were, however, to lead to her arrest in 1946 as a Nazi sympathiser. She afterwards kept a low profile, teaching in Innsbruck and latterly playing on the back desk of a minor American orchestra. Her New York debut took place in November 1931. Her age then was given as 14, although later she was to become a little younger. Two years later she played the Brahms concerto in New York with, according to one reviewer, “breadth of style and emotional warmth”. She sailed for London in September 1934, using the capital as a launch pad for some considerable concert successes in mainland Europe. Her career then took her on a round-the-world tour, returning to the US via San Francisco. In 1938 and 1939 she reappeared in New York as a soloist with the New York Philharmonic, giving “poised and expressive performances”. When she returned to Europe, her popularity continued to grow — particularly in Germany. There are recordings of her performing with Willem Mengelberg, including the Beethoven and Bruch concertos with the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam. She also worked with the conductor Oswald Kabasta. In 1943 they gave the world premiere of Ermanno Wolf- Ferrari’s Violin Concerto, written for her by the elderly composer, who dedicated it “con ammirazione”. A recording of a radio broadcast she later made of the work survives, with the Munich Philharmonic conducted by Rudolf Kempe. At the end of the war both Mengelberg and Kabasta found themselves accused of collaboration with the Nazi regime. Kabasta, faced with a ban on performing, committed suicide in 1946, while Mengelberg was forbidden to conduct in The Netherlands and eventually retired to Switzerland. Bustabo, for her part, was arrested in 1946. She was released without charge, but her career was all but over. Offers of engagements dried up, and she settled in Innsbruck, where she was professor of music from 1964 to 1970. She made occasional appearances in concert. At the Wigmore Hall in December 1957 she introduced the audience to a sonata by the Italian composer Giovanni Benedetto Platti, following it with a rendition of Brahms’s D minor Sonata that clearly appealed to the Times’s rather jaded-sounding critic: “In short, Miss Bustabo’s interpretation did not lack that vital quality of imagination, a quality less frequently encountered in the Wigmore Hall than might be supposed.” Guila Bustabo was born in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, in 1916, but later let it be known that she had been born in 1919. Her mother was Bohemian and her father a Sicilian musician who made a toy violin for her from a cigar box and a piece of wood when she was three. The precocious toddler broke it in pieces and demanded a genuine instrument. By the age of four she was studying with Leon Sametini in Chicago. She later studied at the Julliard School in New York. In Great Violinists in Performance (1982), Henry Roth praised Bustabo as “an intense, propulsive player with extraordinary facility”. Elsewhere he described her as “impetuosity personified”, with a temperament that “bordered on the hysterical”. Throughout her career she was accompanied by an ever-attentive mother. After Bustabo retired from Innsbruck in 1970, mother and daughter settled in Birmingham, Alabama, where she occasionally appeared in concerts with the Alabama Symphony Orchestra, but more frequently sat among the rank and file of the violins. She married an American soldier in 1949. They were divorced in 1977. Guila Bustabo, violinist, was born on February 25, 1916. She died on April 27, 2002, aged 86.