[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
DANIEL HICKEY From the Manitowoc Pilot JANUARY 6, 1870 Left us - Our fast and faithful typo, Daniel Hickey, has left us to seek a more active and healthy occupation than "type sticking." Dan is a good and industrious worker at the "art preservative," and we will here record of him, that at one time not many months ago, when the breathing of The Pilot was short and feeble and uncertain of continuance, Dan, almost alone, stood by the ship, and paddled her through the storm. The best wishes of The Pilot go with Dan and a welcome back. THOMAS HIGGINS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.112-114. Thomas Higgins, president and general manager of the Manitowoc & Northern Traction Company, owning the car lines in and between the cities of Manitowoc and Two Rivers, and vice president of the National Bank of Manitowoc undertook the building of the above roads in the year 1900, and started running cars May 1, 1902. Soon after that time he became a resident of Manitowoc, coming here from Neenah, Wisconsin, where he had lived for the past twenty-five years, and during his residence there, had been closely identified with the progress of that city, as the following clippings taken from the Neenah newspapers at the time of his departure from that city will show. "The Times is very sorry to record the unwelcome news that our old and esteemed citizen, Mr. Thomas Higgins, has leased a residence in Manitowoc and is removing his family to that city. The many friends of Mr. Higgins and his highly estimable wife will join us in our regret. Mr. Higgins came to Neenah over twenty-eight years ago, and inaugurated the local gas and electric light plant. He has held the office of mayor and is a man of independent thought and action, and has many friends accordingly. Mrs. Higgins will be missed from Neenah society circles, where she was known not only for her social virtues but for a heart warm, generous and impulsive for others’ welfare." -Neenah Daily Times (Democrat), October 23, 1902. "Neenah loses, by the removal of the Hon. Thomas Higgins to Manitowoc, one of its most valued families. Mr. Higgins has been, for a long term of years, closely identified with the progress of this city, and has helped forward all enterprises of value. He has served the city as mayor, and has by appointment rendered valuable assistance in making the Neenah library the finely classified institution it is. Interested always in the conduct of large enterprises, Mr. Higgins has managed to find time to study public questions, and is a man of broad information and sound and careful judgment concerning the big questions that are stirring the world's heart to common fellowship at the present time. And when it comes to farming and stock—raising-—well, Mr. Higgins knows how. He is just the sort of citizen that any city may be proud to find on its poll list. And the family is just as desirable. Mrs. Higgins is a woman of rare home grace, and most charming habit. The rule of her life binds her to kin, but her active interest in all things draws her into useful society and make her a most useful woman. The daughters, like their father and mother, are helpful and true, and just the sort to make society better. The only distress The News wishes the family is that they may not like Manitowoc better than Neenah, and that they will return to their beautiful home on Church street within a year. —The Neenah Daily News (Republican). October 24, 1902. Mr. Higgins is of Irish extraction, his father Thomas Higgins Sr., having been a farmer in County Roscommon, Ireland, who emigrated to America in 1849, just after the birth of the subject of this sketch, settling in Monmouth county, New Jersey, near the 0ld Monmouth battleground. In 1863, the Higgins family left New Jersey for the west, purchasing a farm of three hundred and twenty acres near Sterling, Illinois, where Thomas Higgins remained, assisting on the farm until his maturity. The old home is still well known as the Higgins homestead, its owner Thomas Higgins, Sr., having died in 1895, but the farm still remains in the family, being owned and occupied at this time by one of his children. Mr. Higgins received his education in Dutch Lane school, near Freehold, New Jersey, and in the county school of his Illinois home, and later took a course in a Chicago business college. At the age of twenty-one, Mr. Higgins with his brother H. C. Higgins, engaged in railroad contracting, and at that early age was entering into very important contracts with such railroad companies as the Baltimore & Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad Company. In 1877, the Higgins brothers built gas works at Dixon, Illinois, near their old home which they sold later, and in 1878 built gas works at Waterloo, Iowa, and Neenah and Menasha, Wisconsin. Mr. Higgins then took up his residence in Neenah and on November 6, 1879, was married to Mary Gaffney, daughter of Philip Gaffney, a merchant of that city, and continued his residence in Neenah until his removal to Manitowoc. During this time Mr. Higgins and his brother built gas works, electric light plants and street railways in many cities of this and other states, including the gas, electric light works and street railway in Marinette, Wisconsin, and the street and interurban railway in and between Manitowoc and Two Rivers. Mr. Higgins is a republican in politics, and has often been honored by his party, and has been urged on several occasions to stand for the nomination for representative in congress, but has always declined. The Oshkosh Times in commenting on Mr. Higgins’ administration as mayor of Neenah said: "A man who succeeds and wins public approbation in the office of mayor must be a man of parts. Thomas Higgins, mayor of the city of Neenah, fills the above bill and therefore it is with sincere pleasure that The Times gives to the public of northern Wisconsin his characteristic likeness. Mr. Higgins has never been a candidate for office until he ran for mayor of Neenah, but though his adminisration has been attended with unusual perplexities, he has proved the right man in the right place and his management of affairs has been highly businesslike. To the many difficulties and controversies which have arisen, Mr. Higgins has brought that sagacity and good judgment that has marked his own private business affairs and the results have been profitable and satisfactory." ELIZABETH HILL From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, August 21, 1884: Died - Wednesday, Aug. 13, 1884, at her home in Antigo, Elizabeth, wife of Homer Hill. Elizabeth Kiernan was born in Ballduffy County, Langford, Ireland, Sept. 10, 1838. Deceased came to America in 1849. Resided in Manitowoc, Wisconsin from 1858 to 1883, since which time she had been a resident of this city. (Antigo/my note) Deceased leaves a husband and eight children, three of whom are married. - Antigo forward SOCRATES HILL
Socrates Hill was the father of Emily Hill Pritchard. It appears the dates in the right picture are incorrect. He was buried in Evergreen cem. #44. According to info in applications for the DAR, his first wife was Sarah Paine who died in 1855 and also is in Evergreen. KARL HILLEBRAND This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.463-464. Karl Hillebrand, whose well directed efforts in former years made it possible for him, in 1911, to lay aside active pursuits, is now making his home in St. Nazianz, where he is enjoying a well earned rest. Like a large per cent of the inhabitants of his section of the county he is of German nativity, his birth occurring in Westphalen, Germany, on the 8th of April, 1860. His parents, Ignatz and Christina (Grohne) Hillebrand, were born in the fatherland, and after the death of the mother in 1867 the father brought his two children, Karl, our subject, and his sister, to America, landing on this side of the Atlantic in 1868. He made his way at once to Washington county, Wisconsin, where he maintained his home for several years, after which he came to St. Nazianz and was here employed as warden at the convent until his death, which occurred when he was about sixty years of age. In the country schools Karl Hillebrand acquired his education and at the age of thirteen years began earning a little money of his own by driving oxen. Later he learned the shoemaker’s trade, which he followed for two years in his home community, after which he went to Washington county, Wisconsin, where for a similar period he followed farming, earning in one year one hundred and twenty-five dollars. The succeeding year was spent in Fond du Lac in the pursuit of his trade, and in 1886 he went to Nebraska, where he engaged in the shoe making business for three and a half years. On returning to Wisconsin, he located permanently at St. Nazianz, and throughout the intervening period has been variously engaged, devoting his time to the occupation of farming, employment in the lumber camps or to the work of his trade. He erected his present residence and also his workshop, and remained in active pursuits until 1911, when he withdrew from business, spending his days in honorable retirement. Mr. Hillebrand was married to Miss Margaretha Schnitler, who was born in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, on the 6th of March, 1868, a daughter of Johann and Regina (Lubelei) Schnitler, both now deceased. Her father had followed farming as a life work. Mr. and Mrs. Hillebrand have become the parents of ten children, as follows: Carl, who was born on the 8th of February, 1886, and is now deceased; Johann, born in 1888, a resident of Spring Valley, Wisconsin; Joseph, born in 1890, of Manitowoc, Wisconsin; Peter, whose birth occurred in 1892 and who is a painter of St. Nazianz; Regina, born in 1894; Carl, in 1896; Edmund, in 1898 and William, in 1901, all attending school; and Irena and Harry born respectively in 1902 and 1905. The parents hold membership in St. Gregory's Catholic church, and Mrs. Hillebrand belongs to the ladies society of the church. Mr. Hillebrand's fraternal relations are with the Catholic Knights if St. Nazianz. His life has been one of continuous activity, characterized by close application, untiring perseverance and well directed effort, and that success has come to him in substantial measure is indicated by the fact that, although he is still in the prime of life, he is able to rest from further labor and enjoy in well earned rest fruits of his former toil. The following picture and family tree chart was sent in by a descendant. To contact, the e-mail address is on the contributor page.
HENRY HINRICHS From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, July 17, 1884: Everybody will do well to buy his Paris Green at Henry Hinrichs' Drug Store; - he keeps the best quality. From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, September 13, 1888: Henry Hinrichs continues to lead his swimming corps to the river near the ravine railroad bridge. He pronounces the water "superfine" notwithstanding the lateness of the season. AUGUST HIRSCHFELD From the Manitowoc Pilot, March 10, 1870: PROBATE OFFICE, February 21st A.D. 1870 In the matter of the proof and probate of the last will and testament of August Hirshfeld, deceased, late of the County of Manitowoc. Whereas, an instrument in writing, purporting to be the last will and testament of August Hirshfeld, deceased, late of the County of Manitowoc, has been filed in this office, and wheras application has been made by Christina Hirshfeld, praying that the same be proven and admitted to probate according to the law of this state. Therefore, it is ordered that said application be heard before me at the probate office in the village of Manitowoc in said county, on the 14th day of March, A.D. 1870, at 10 o'clock A.M. And it is further ordered, that notice shall be given to all persons interested in said will, of the time and place of said hearing, by publcation in the Manitowoc Pilot, a newspaper printed in said county for three successive weeks, once each week, prior to the time of such hearing. By the court. W.W. Waldo, County Judge B. HITCHCOCK From the Manitowoc Pilot, Thursday, July 20, 1871: Mr. B. Hitchcock, from Waukegan, Ill., was in town yesterday. All old settlers have a pleasant remembrance of Mr. Hitchcock, while building our bridge across the river, some thirteen years since, on contract with this (then village) city. He is hale and hearty, and as good natured as ever, which is another proof that a well spent life conduces to a happy and ripe ole age. DR. H.M. HITTNER From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 541 Dr. H.M. Hittner, physician and surgeon, Mishicott, was born April 28, 1838, in Bavaria; came to Rochester, N. Y., in 1849, with his parents. In 1858 came to Cincinnati, Ohio; there commenced the study of medicine. After taking his first course, he went South and served in the Confederate army two years; then returned to Cincinnati and completed his studies, and graduated at the Ohio Medical College in 1865; he then was appointed assistant surgeon of the West End Military Hospital. Held this position till the end of the war. He then continued his practice in Cincinnati till 1876; then came to Milwaukee, where he practiced about eighteen months; then removed to Kiel; practiced there till the spring of 1880, when he removed to Mishicott. Married, in 1862, to Margaret Doherty, of New Orleans. They have seven children, three sons and four daughters. JAMES A. HODGES Manitowoc Pilot, April 17, 1868 JAMES A. HODGES, Clerk of the Sea Bird. Was born in Taunton, Mass., and was 40 years of age. He came to Wisconsin in 1849, and was employed as warehouse clerk by Messrs. Kellog and Strong, at Milwaukee, with whom he remained until the spring of 1857, when, in company with Mr. Peter Johnston, he came to Manitowoc, and the two, for the six years following, carried on a general receiving and forwarding business on the North Pier, under the well known firm name of Johnston & Hodges. In 1862, Mr. Hodges withdrew from the firm to join the army and enrolled himself as private in Company K, Twenty-first Regiment, of which he was soon made the First Sergeant. He served with his regiment at Perryville and in other actions, and at Stone River was captured by the enemy and confined in Libby Prison. Upon being released, his health was so much impaired that he was transferred to the Invalid Corps, and was selected by General Sweet, Commandant of Camp Douglas, as his Private Secretary, in which capacity he served until the expiration of his term of service. In July, 1866, he was appointed Clerk of the new steamer Orion, and remained on her until the close of the season of 1867. This spring Mr. Goodrich transferred the Orion to the East Shore Route, and placed the Sea Bird on this. At the request of Mr. Hodges, who wished to be with his family, to whom he was much attached, as often as possible, Mr. Thombs, clerk of the Sea Bird, changed positions with him. Of unquestioned business capacity and experience, his place will be hard to fill by his employer. Frank, genial and warm-hearted socially, and generous to a fault, no one could make his acquaintance without becoming his fast friend forever after. He was one of the very few men who have no enemies, and will be sincerely mourned by all who knew him. He leaves a wife and four children, the eldest 13 years of age, who reside in the Second Ward. FREDERICK HOEFNER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.567-568. One of the most enterprising and successful young farmers of Manitowoc Rapids township is Frederick Hoefner, who represents the third generation of his family to have been identified with the agricultural development of Manitowoc county. The first representative of this family to locate in the United States was the paternal grandfather of our subject, Frederick Hoefner, who was born and reared in Hanover, Germany. He continued to reside in his native land until 1847 when he emigrated to the United States, locating in Milwaukee, which at that time was little more than a village. Almost immediately thereafter he enlisted in the army and went to the front in the conflict with Mexico, continuing in the service until the close of hostilities. When mustered out he returned to Wisconsin, locating in Manitowoc county, where he entered some government land. This was covered with a heavy growth of timber and he immediately set about clearing a tract and erected thereon a one—room log cabin, in which he lived while engaged in clearing the remainder of his land and placing it under cultivation. In 1853, he married Mary Dumke, who was also born and reared in Germany, and they passed the entire period of their domestic life on their farm. The grandmother died on the homestead where she had lived for over forty years in 1898, but the grandfather survived until 1907. They were the parents of four children, one of whom, their son Frederick, whose birth occurred on the 19th of April, 1854, is the father of our subject. He was reared on his father’s farm, where he also received his agricultural training, obtaining his education in the district schools of the vicinity. After attaining his manhood he took over the operation of his father’s place, which he purchased in 1883 and has ever since made it his home. As he is a very industrious man of more than average business ability he has met with excellent success in both his farming and stock—raising, and now owns one of the best improved and equipped properties in the township. He has retired from the active work of the fields, but continues to live on his homestead, which is endeared to him by the association of a lifetime. He was married in 1883 to Miss Dora Nichols, and to them were born five children, of whom the eldest is Frederick, whose birth occurred on the old farm in Newton township on the 4th of May, 1884. The father is one of the prominent men of his community and he takes an active interest in all political affairs, but he has never been an office seeker, although for six years he served as a clerk of school district No. 1. Frederick Hoefner was reared amid the scenes familiar to the childhood and youth of his father, obtaining his early education in district school No. 1. While he was mastering the fundamentals of English learning he was also laying the foundation for a future agricultural career by assisting his father with the work of the fields and the care of the stock. Having decided that he would adopt farming for his life vocation he later entered the agricultural department of the University of Wisconsin at Madison. After the completion of his course he returned to this county well qualified to begin working for himself, having received an excellent theoretical and practical training in every branch of agriculture. At the age of twenty-four years, in 1908, he purchased the old Comer farm in Manitowoc Rapids township, where he located immediately following his marriage. He has made extensive improvements on the place, including the erection of a fine modern residence and barns and outbuildings, and he has also installed thereon various conveniences consistent with the spirit of progress that characterizes his undertakings. During the three and a half years of his ownership, he has not only done much to enhance the comfort and appearance of the property but he has added greatly to its value by bringing the land into a high state of productivity. His fields are carefully tilled and annually yield abundant harvests that amply reward him for his labor, while everything about his farm is thriving in a most gratifying manner. He keeps a good grade of stock that he is breeding up to a still higher standard, manifesting here as in every other department of his business clear judgment and capable management. The 2d of May, 1908, was the marriage day of Mr. Hoefner and Miss Minnie Prehn, who was born and reared in Newton township, her parents being Erdman and Ida Prehn, who are now residents of Manitowoc Rapids township. One child has been born of this union, Lester, whose birth occurred on the 5th of February, 1909. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hoefner attend the German Lutheran church in the faith of which they were reared. Frederick Hoefner is one of the young agriculturists of this township, whose future gives every assurance of being highly successful, as he possesses the qualities that invariably lead to prosperity in any undertaking; unceasing energy and determination of purpose. (The following does not indicate which generation of Frederick Hoefner the picture represents - Shari Milks)
Frederick Hoefner Mrs. Frederick Hoefner
HENRY C. HOEFNER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.448-453. Henry C. Hoefner, who is one of the progressive and successful agriculturists of Manitowoc county, was born on the farm where he now resides, April 19, 1854. His father, Frederick Hoefner, was a native of Germany, born in 1820, and came to the United States in 1848, settling in Wisconsin. In 1853 he wedded Miss Maria Dunker, who was a native of Germany and came to this country with her father, who remained here only a short time. At the beginning of the Mexican war Frederick Hoefner enlisted and served for a time during this conflict. Subsequently he came to Manitowoc county, where he settled near the town of Newton and worked for a couple of years as a farm hand. Having a soldier’s right, he then took up a tract of one hundred and sixty acres of land, which was covered with heavy timber, and there he built a log cabin and cleared and developed his land. Later his son erected a new house, in which he lived at the time of his death, in 1907, being then eighty-seven years of age. He was for three years trustee of the German Lutheran church at Newton. His wife passed away in 1908, at the age of seventy-one. In her family were four children, Henry, Anna, William and Mary. Henry C. Hoefner was born in the first log cabin that his father built on his farm. He received his education in the district schools of the neighborhood and grew to manhood on his fathers farm, where he has continued to reside. He was about forty years of age when he purchased the old homestead and has since operated the same. He has made many improvements on it, has erected a beautiful modern residence and now has all the land under a high state of cultivation, carrying on scientific farming. In 1883 Mr. Hoefner wedded Miss Dora Nickels, who was born in the town of Manitowoc and was a daughter of Carl Nickels, a native of Germany. In their family were five children, Frederick, Arthur, Herbert, Erna and Elsie. Mr. Hoefner gives much time to the cause of education and has served as clerk of his school district. He is also interested in the Silver Creek Telephone Company and has served as the treasurer of the company. Both he and Mrs. Hoefner are earnest and faithful members of the German Lutheran church, of which he has been trustee for three years. He is highly esteemed in the community where he has spent his entire life and no man is more worthy of the respect of his business associates than he whose name introduces this review. HENRY HOEFNER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.339-340. Henry Hoefner is numbered among the native residents of Manitowoc county, where he engages in agricultural pursuits on his farm, which is situated near Newton. He was born April 25, 1868, the son of Henry Hoefner, Sr., who was born in Germany in 1831 and came to America at an early date with his wife, Dora (Horstmann) Hoefner. The parents settled in Manitowoc county, where they purchased forty acres of school land and erected a log cabin, in which the subject of this sketch was born. After six years they purchased another farm of eighty acres near Newton and resided on the same for about twenty-three years. In 1877 he bought the farm on which Henry Hoefner, of this review, now lives. Henry Hoefner, Sr., erected the present excellent house and barn and resided on this farm until his death. He passed away in 1904, at the age of seventy-three, and his wife yet lives on the home place, at the age of seventy-six. In their family were seven children, Henry, Mary, Sophia, Annie, Charley, Ernst and Lena. Henry Hoefner, Jr., received his education in the neighborhood district school and grew to manhood on his father’s farm, where he has passed all his time, with the exception of eight months which he spent on a farm near Minneapolis, returning from there on account of his father’s ill health and then taking charge of the home farm. He at first rented a part of the homestead and later bought the other part and subsequently purchased it all. On the 8th of June, 1894, Mr. Hoefner wedded Miss Annie Bramybrauch, who was born in Newton and was the daughter of John Bramybrauch. To Mr. and Mrs. Hoefner have been born seven children, Dora, Hilda, Edmond, Carl, Waldo, Hetha and Norbert. Mr. Hoefner is greatly interested in educational advancement in his community and has served as school director for three years. Both he and his wife belong to the German Lutheran church at Newton. He has given his undivided time to farming and throughout his residence in his native county has done his full share in the work of agricultural development, and has always borne an unassailable reputation as a progressive and enterprising citizen. FRANK HOFFMANN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.313-314. Frank Hoffmann, one of the enterprising and up—to—date business men of Manitowuc, Wisconsin, dealing in real estate, loans and insurance, was born in Centerville township, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, February 12, 1876, a son of Peter and Elizabeth (Schill) Hoffmann and a grandson of Peter Hoffmann, who brought his family to the United States in 1855 and settled in Meeme township, Manitowoc county, where he took up wild land and spent the remainder of his life in agricultural pursuits. Peter Hoffmann, the father of Frank, was reared to the life of an agriculturist, but when still a young man turned his attention to mercantile pursuits, founding a store at St. Wendel, where he was engaged in business for thirty years, but he has now disposed of this enterprise and is engaged in the grain elevator and lumber business at Cleveland, Wisconsin. Mrs. Hoffmann died in January, 1887, and he was married a second time. Six children were born to the first union, namely: Mrs. Katherine Wagner of Cleveland; Mrs. Mary Schoengarth, of Montana; Peter, Jr., residing at Sheboygan; Mrs. Magdalena Nennig, of Cleveland; Frank; and John, a resident of Cleveland. Frank Hoffmann received his early education in the parochial schools, and became deputy register of deeds under Julius Linstead. He also attended the First Ward high school at Manitowoc and then entered the State University at Madison, from which he graduated with the class of 1900, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and he at this time joined Mr. Linstead in the real-estate, loan and insurance business, in which he has continued to the present time. In November, 1903, Mr. Hoffmann was married to Amanda Christensen, of Manitowoc, a daughter of Mathias Christensen, one of the early settlers of this county, and two children have been born to this union. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffmann are members of the Catholic church, and he holds membership in the Catholic Order of Foresters, the Knights of Columbus and the Elks. SIMON HOLLENSTEINER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.424-425. Simon Hollensteiner, the oldest merchant now living in Kiel, is a man of more than ordinary local importance. He was born in Lippe-Detmold, Germany, March 2, 1844, a son of Frank and Margarete Hollensteiner, who were also born in Germany, where the father was a flour miller. After the death of the father the widow and her son Simon came to the United States in 1855, and located in Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, where the latter obtained work on a farm. For the first eighteen months he received one dollar a month for his services, but he was not discouraged and by the time he was sixteen years old, he was receiving thirteen dollars per month as a sawyer in a sawmill. He continued at this kind of work until he was nineteen years old, when he accepted employment in a grist mill in Sheboygan Falls for one year. He and his brother then built a grist mill at Millhome, completing it in 1863, and in 1865 built a general store about which grew up the village which Simon Hollensteiner named and of which he was the leading spirit for nine years. At the expiration of this period he and his brother Frank went to Dundee where they conducted a mill. Later they sold the mill and going to Rhine, built a general store which they conducted for twelve years. In 1888 he left there to come to Kiel where he embarked in a general mercantile business, his establishment being known all over this part of the county. The Hollensteiner store is the best business house in the city, and is constructed of brick in dimensions fifty feet by one hundred and twenty feet, two stories in height. Mr. Hollensteiner also owns an elevator with a capacity of ten thousand bushels of grain, and a warehouse of equal size. In 1865 Mr. Hollensteiner was married to Miss Katherine Arnold, who was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, and came to the United States in 1848 at the age of two years. Three children have been born of this marriage: Edwin, clerk and cashier of a manufacturing plant at Milwaukee; Alvin, salesman of the Kiel Woodenware Company; and Laura, now Mrs. Hugo Smith, of Champaign, Illinois. The family are members of the German Reformed church. For many years Mr. Hollensteiner has been prominent in political affairs and served as supervisor of Schleswig township one term, town clerk of Rhine, and was the second president of the village of Kiel. The present substantial city hall and fire department were built the first year after the incorporation of the city of Kiel, and Mr. Hollensteiner organized and carried through to successful completion the measure which secured their erection. The influence he has had in shaping the destinies of the several localities in which he has lived, has been strong and always wielded for ultimate good.
Ignatz HolmannThis is part of a large photo of men who belonged to the B.& M.I.U. No. 12 of Manitowoc. It can be found at the I-43 Antique Mall at Manitowoc B & M I U = Bricklayers and Masons’ International Union of America B&MIU was a successor to the Bricklayers International Union of the United States of North America, founded in 1865. In 1910 the B&MIU became interested in organizing plasterers and the union’s title then became the Bricklayers, Mason, and Plasterers’ International Union of America. FRANK HONEY From the Lakeshore Times Newspaper, Jan. 8, 1884 edition: Married; at the residence of the bride's parents in Manitowoc, on January 1, 1884, by Rev. H. Stone Richardson, Frank Honey and Stella Smart, both of Manitowoc. The groom is one of Gibson's most prominent young men, and has recently removed to this city to engage in the farm machinery business. The bride, a daughter of our popular County Judge, has numerous friends in this county, and throughout the State, whose well wishes will be cordially extended to her in her new sphere of life. **************** from Manitowoc Tribune July 14, 1892 MR. and MRS. FRANK HONY, formerly of Manitowoc, now of Oshkosh, and Mrs. Dr. Oviatt of Oshkosh are spending a few days with Mrs. Smart. WILLIAM HONEY from the Manitowoc Co. Tribune July 19, 1877 DIED: HONEY.---On Saturday July 14, 1877, in the town of Gibson, Manitowoc county, after a long sickness, Mr. WM. B. D. HONEY, in the 74th year of his age. Mr. Honey was one of the oldest settlers in Manitowoc county and was widely known all over the county. (His stone is no longer in the cemetery.)
William Honey taken from "Early Days In Two Rivers, Wisconsin" by Arthur LohmanFERDINAND HORN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.38-39. Probably there is no better example to be found of what perseverance, hard work and enterprise will do for a man than is offered by the career of Ferdinand Horn, a successful agriculturist of the town of Rapids. Mr. Horn was born in Saxony, Germany, in 1833, and at the age of fifteen years came to the United States, where his parents, Godfried and Caroline Horn, followed him in 1854. On landing in New York, Mr. Horn had not a cent of money, but made his way to Philadelphia, where he had a stepsister, and remained at her home for three weeks. He then secured employment in New Jersey, where he remained for a month before starting for the west, with eight dollars, intending to go to the home of his brother Frederick, who had come here during the previous year, settling in Washington county, Wisconsin. When he reached Detroit he again found himself penniless, and for a few weeks worked in that city, finally managing to reach his brother’s house. For several years he worked with his brother, most of his time being spent in making shingles. When he had saved two hundred and fifty dollars he purchased a tract of forty acres of timberland, which he began to clear, although he was not much more than seventeen years of age. This tract, located in Washington county, he managed to put in fairly good shape, working out among the farmers who could afford to pay for hired help in order to get his provisions, meanwhile living in a little log house of his own construction. In two or three years he sold his land for six hundred and twenty-five dollars and went to Calumet county, where he purchased a farm of ninety-five acres, with no improvements. After living there a few days he realized that there were not farms near enough to his for him to be able to secure provisions without much trouble, so he returned to Washington county and for some time rented a farm. As soon as he could he disposed of his Calumet county farm and bought another in Washington county, erecting a log cabin and clearing about one-half of the land. Upon this property he resided for six or seven years. In 1863 he moved to Manitowoc county, and went into partnership with his brother William, in Manitowoc, where they conducted a general store for two years, at the end of which time Ferdinand Horn embarked in the horse business, going to Indiana and Ohio and returning to Manitowoc county with horses, and in this way built up the largest trade of its kind in the county. After continuing in that business for five years he went to Door county, where he was compelled to take cord wood in exchange for his animals, the farmers not being able to pay him money, and in order to ship his wood to Chicago he had to build his own pier, as the owners of the only pier at that place charged him enormously for its use. He also built a store building and became very successful, but the great fire of 1871 destroyed his property completely, the loss being about $25,000, half of which fell to his brother, he being a partner. Starting again, Mr. Horn found that his timber was damaged by fire to such an extent as to make it unsaleable, and he gave up his business and returned to tbe city of Manitowoc. For a short time he was engaged in trading and speculating, and in 1874 he became the owner of his present farm, which at that time was in very poor shape. Working hard and faithfully, he made numerous improvements on the place, and it is now one of the best properties in the town of Rapids. Mr. Horn has been a successful farmer, and his prosperity has been attained solely through his own efforts. He makes his operations pay, and is engaged in farming along scientific lines. In 1858, while living on his Washington county farm, Mr. Horn was married to Mary Fulwiler, who was born in Ohio, whence her parents had come as emigrants from Holland. Five children have been born to this union: Albert, Mrs. Julia Seistedt, Mrs. Elizabeth Erickson, Alice and Walter. Both Mr. Horn and his wife are faithful members of the Lutheran church. Here are pictures of a coin put out by W.H. Horn.
LOUIS HORSTMAN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.414-417. Louis Horstman, who owns and operates two hundred and twenty-four acres of land on section 10, Liberty township, is a native of Manitowoc county, his birth having occurred on the place where he now resides on the 27th of July, 1860. His parents were John and Wilhelmina Horstman, natives of Germany, whence they emigrated in their youth to the United States. They were married in Louisville, Kentucky, and there passed the first years of their domestic life, coming to this county about 1855. When they came here they purchased one hundred and sixty acres of government land in Liberty township, and Mr. Horstman immediately had five acres of this cleared and a log cabin erected thereon at a cost of about fifty dollars. He and his family then began life in their new home amid the primitive conditions that yet prevailed in this section, which at that time was but sparsely settled. Their farm seemed to be little more than a small clearing in a dense wood, while the most of the roads they used were only blazed trails. Here the father devoted his entire time and attention to the further improvement and cultivation of his land until his death in 1879. He was long survived by the mother, who passed away in 1890, and was laid to rest in the Lutheran cemetery at Liberty by the side of her husband. Mr. Horstman was one of the enterprising and public—spirited men in the township and always took an active interest in all local governmental affairs, having served for three years as supervisor. Louis Horstman is the fourth in order of birth of the six children born unto his parents. His entire life has been passed on the farm where he now lives, while he is indebted to the district schools in the vicinity for his education. In common with other pioneer lads reared on the farm, from his early childhood he assisted with the cultivation of the fields and the care of the stock, and thus while engaged in the mastery of the fundamentals of English learning he was also fitting himself for his life vocation. He early laid aside his textbooks and gave his entire attention to the work of the farm, the greater part of the responsibility connected with its operation devolving upon him after the death of the father. Only a portion of Mr. Horstman's present holding was embraced in the old homestead, the remainder having been purchased by him after he began farming for himself. One hundred and sixty of his two hundred and twenty-four acres, all of which is surrounded by a barbed wire fence, are under high cultivation, and this he devotes to such cereals as are best adapted to the soil, annually reaping abundant harvests. He also raises hay and clover seed to a considerable extent, which he markets as well as his dairy products. In connection with general farming he raises stock and is now milking fifteen cows. During the long period of his residence here Mr. Horstman has effected many improvements, including the erection, in 1890, of a fine basement barn, one hundred and thirty by forty feet. Five years later he built a two-story frame residence, a very comfortable and pleasant farm house, and in 1899 he remodeled his barn. This is a large, roomy structure equipped with patent stanchions and provides ample shelter for his stock. The only building now standing on the place that was erected during the lifetime of his father is a small frame residence. Good success has attended the efforts of Mr. Horstman, who in addition to his fine farm has acquired a handsome competence and is a stockholder in the Newton Fire Insurance Company and also in two telephone companies, the Valders & Jarpen, and the Newton & Liberty. He is also a stockholder and director in the Valders State Bank. In 1890, Mr. Horstman was united in marriage to Miss Anna Vetter, who was born and reared in this township, her birth having occurred on the 6th of March, 1863. She is a daughter of Jacob and Wilhelmina Vetter, who were born and reared in Germany but were married in Wisconsin, and subsequently settled on a farm in this township. Here they passed the remainder of their lives and were laid to rest in the Lutheran cemetery. They were the parents of nine children, Mrs. Horstman being the sixth in order of birth. Mr. and Mrs. Horstman have had nine children, five of whom died in childhood. Those living are, Elsa, Louis, Anita and Harvey, all of whom are at home. The family are members of the Lutheran church of Liberty, and in politics Mr. Horstman is a republican. He has served his township in various official capacities, having been a supervisor for six years while he has been on the school board for twelve. Mr. Horstman is a man who has made good use of his time, opportunities and advantages and by reason of his diligence and economy has become numbered among the prosperous citizens of his community, where he is held in high regard, always having manifested those qualities that inspire confidence and respect in his fellow townsmen.
ALBERT L. HOUGEN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.39-40. Albert L. Hougen, who is engaged in practice before the Manitowoc county bar, has been a resident of this county all of his life, and was born in Liberty township, in 1873, a son of Torger K. and Annie (Berge) Hougen, natives of Norway. Torger K. Hougen came to the United States in 1852, and bought eighty acres of land in Liberty township, where he continued to reside until his retirement, at which time he possessed two hundred and sixty acres of finely cultivated farming property. He was married in Manitowoc county to Annie Berge, and they both are living in Manitowoc, and are devout members of the Lutheran church. Mr. Hougen is a republican in politics, and has been actively engaged in furthering the cause of education. Mr. and Mrs. Hougen had the following children: Marion, who married H. E. Thompson of Kaukauna; Knute, of Wausau, Wisconsin; 0. T., a physician, living in Grand Rapids; Gulick, a traveling salesman of Minnesota; Nels, a farmer of Manitowoc county; Emma, who married Otis Marken, a farmer of Manitowoc county; Edward, a physician, of Pittsville, Wisconsin; Albert L.; Martin, residing at North Yakima, Washington; and Evelyn, who married Charles Brady, an attorney who is in partnership with Mr. Hougen. Another child died in infancy. Albert L. Hougen attended the common schools of Liberty township, and then entered St. Olaf College, at Northfield, Minnesota, from which he was graduated in 1895. He subsequently entered the law department of the Wisconsin University at Madison, and was graduated in 1897, at which time he immediately entered upon the practice of his profession in Manitowoc. He was elected district attorney for three terms, and for four years served as city attorney, and during all the years of his public life showed himself an able lawyer. He is now in possession of a large and lucrative practice and stands high in the esteem of the members of his profession in Manitowoc county. In political matters he is a republican, and his fraternal connection is with the lodge and chapter of Masons, the Elks and the Knights of Pythias. On August 5, 1902, Mr. Hougen was married to Emma Engeseth, of Dane county, Wisconsin, daughter of Eric Engeseth, and three daughters have been born to this union: Evelyn, Ruth and Alice. CHARLES HOYER From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 528 Charles Hoyer, merchant tailor, Manitowoc. Was born Dec. 24, 1829, in Austria. In 1853 he emigrated to America, locating in Milwaukee, in which city he opened a mechant tailor store, remaining in that business until 1865, when he removed to Manitowoc and continued his business. He carries one of the largest and finest stocks in this city. In 1855, he married Miss Wilhelmena Lutzer, of Prussia. They have three sons and two daughters. CHARLES HOYER (News article) Manitowoc Tribune November 12, 1874, Vol. 21 No. 30, Page 5 Column 4 Terrible Accident. A Young Man has his Foot Crushed by the Cars. Charles Hoyer, a young man residing in this city had his right foot terribly mangled yesterday forenoon. As the 11.10 mixed train was leaving for the south, young Hoyer and a companion jumped upon the platform of the passenger coach and then attempted to step from the coach to the platform of the caboose. He evidently made a misstep, and fell to the track, where his foot getting under the wheel, it was crushed to such an extent that a portion of it, at least, will have to be amputated. The train, which had not yet got under full headway, was immediately stopped, and the unfortunate youth carried to the residence of Mr. Chas. Dobbert, near the scene of the disaster. Drs. Easton and Coakley were summoned, and the sufferer removed to the residence of his father on South Eight street. Portions of the foot were mashed to a perfect jelly, and the skin having been torn from the entire top of it, presented a sickening sight. It is hoped that the terrible experience of young Hoyer will be a warning to those who so frequently risk their lives by jumping upon moving trains. P.S. -- Since the above was in type the foot of young Hoyer has been ampatated [sic], Doctors Easton and Coakley performing the operation. JACOB HOYER Husband: Jacob Hoyer Father: John Hoyer Mother: Eva Hoyer Occu: Farmer Res: Franklin, Manitowoc Co. Wisconsin Birth: Ozaukee Co. Wisconsin Wife: Minnie Klemma Father: Chuttrau Klemma Mother: Minnie Klemma Birth: Germany Date of Marriage: October 8, 1883 Place: Cato, Manitowoc Co. Color: White Type of Ceremony: Statute Clergy: W. H. Nelson, J.P. Witnesses: Henry Klemma, Barbar Hoyer JOSEPH HOYER From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 528 Joseph Hoyer, boarding house and saloon, Manitowoc. Born March 19, 1832, in Austria. In 1854 he went to Milwaukee; the following year he came to this city and opened a boot and shoe store, employing three or four men; he continued in this business until 1866, when he opened his present business. He married, in 1857, Miss Katherine Bourkhardt, of Baden, by whom he has four children, two boys and two girls. MELANCTHON HOYT From "A Century of Masonry 1856-1956" by Merle E. Hutchins, with permission. Melancthon Hoyt was born in South Norwalk, Connecticut on February 13, 1809, the sixth and youngest child of Melancthon and Betsy (Taylor) Hoyt. He prepared for college at the Norwalk Academy, entered Yale College with the class of 1826 and graduated from Yale College in 1830. He continued his studies at the General Theological Seminary, New York City from 1831 to 1834. His later letters to Bishop Kemper, the Episcopal Missionary Bishop of Wisconsin, which letters have been preserved in the Kemper Papers in the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, indicate that he had to withdraw from the Seminary for a while and teach school in order to earn money to pay his debts and finish his theological training. Shortly after graduation from Yale or during the period of his theological training prior to 1833, he married Ann Eliza Tarrington of New York and at least eight children blessed the union, five sons and three daughters, the first of whom was born in New York City in 1833 and the remainder at different places of his sojourning. Rev. Hoyt was ordained an Episcopal Deacon at Bridgeport, Conn. by Rt. Rev. T.C. Brownell, Bishop of Connecticut, on October 14, 1834 and Priest on August 23, 1835 while serving as a missionary in Connecticut. He then served as a missionary in Indiana at Indianapolis from 1835 to 1836 and at Crawfordsville, Indiana from 1836 to 1838. He then spent a year at Meriden, Connecticut where he was Rector of St. Andrews Church. In 1840, he went to Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he organized St. Marks Church and did missionary work in surrounding towns. From June 1841 to October 1844, he was in Ionia, Michigan. On April 1, 1845, he was appointed a missionary to Green Bay, Wisconsin and after a few months removed to Fox Lake or Watertown, Wisconsin. On June 1, 1846, he located at Watertown, Wisconsin which he made the center of his missionary work in the adjacent territory until he settled in Manitowoc, Wisconsin on December 23, 1854, when he became the fourth rector of St. James Episcopal Church, the oldest religious organization in the county. As early as 1845, he held religious services in Manitowoc County. One of the first private schools in Manitowoc was established in connection with the Episcopal Church and was erected in 1856 by Rev. Hoyt and was taught by him. Information is not available as to where Melancthon Hoyt received light in Masonry although it has been believed that this occurred during his college days in the east or shortly thereafter. Grand Lodge records in Michigan show no Masonic activity on his part while he resided in that state. The earliest facts yet located in regard to his Masonic attachments have reference to Watertown, Wisconsin where he showed his Masonic interests by acting as Proxy for the Worshipful Master of Tuscan Lodge, U.D. of Watertown, later Tuscan Lodge No. 35, at the Grand Lodge Communication of 1852. At this communication, he acted as Grand Chaplain in place of the Grand Chaplain appointed at the previous Grand Communication and was appointed and installed Grand Chaplain the following year. At this communication, he was listed as Worshipful and Rev. Whether this means that he was a Past Master of some lodge has not been determined. Neither has his actual connection with or as a member of Tuscan Lodge since the Charter and records of this lodge were surrendered a few years later and have not yet been located in the Grand Lodge vaults. However, according to the Constitution adopted the previous year, he would have to be a member of that lodge to serve as proxy for the Worshipful Master. In 1853, when Watertown Masonic Lodge No. 49 received its Charter, Rev. Hoyt was appointed Chaplain of this lodge. He was also designated as Scribe of Watertown or Howell Chapter No. 11, R.A.M. when this Chapter was granted a Dispensation in 1853. Removing his residence from Watertown to Manitowoc on December 23, 1854, Rev. Hoyt was one of the leaders in the founding of Manitowoc Masonic Lodge No. 65, F.& A.M. which was granted a Dispensation on February 19, 1856 and of Manitowoc Chapter No. 16, R.A.M. which was granted a Dispensation on February 4, 1857. He served well as the first Worshipful Master of Manitowoc Lodge and the first High Priest of Manitowoc Chapter. During 1857 and 1858, he served the Grand Chapter of Wisconsin as Grand Chaplain and thus concluded his services to Masonry in Wisconsin. On May 29, 1858, Rev. Hoyt submitted his resignation to the St. James Church because of dire necessity, having used up his private funds. The resignation was accepted but he was asked to supply the pulpit until a new Rector could be obtained. On July 1, 1859, he left the Manitowoc Parish, after making a deep impression on the public, religious and fraternal life of Manitowoc. He moved to Sioux City, Iowa where he built the first Episcopal Church in that city. In 1860, he first visited the Dakota Territory and in 1862 he located at Yankton and in that year organized St. John's Lodge of Yankton, South Dakota, serving as its first Worshipful Master. The 1863 Proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Iowa contains the information that "On December 5, 1862, a Dispensation was granted to Melancthon Hoyt and the requisite number of brethren, for a lodge at Yankton, Dakota Territory" and that "On June 3, 1863, a Charter was granted to St. John's Lodge by the Grand Lodge of Iowa." He founded the Christ Church of Yankton in the spring of 1863 and in 1887 went to Watertown, South Dakota, where he founded and built a church. His last labors were at the church founded by him at Scotland, South Dakota, where he died on January 2, 1888, full of years, of honors and of Christian genius. Rev. Melancthon Hoyt appeared to be a man with a restless spirit. A faithful missionary who was happiest when he was pioneering, for his record shows that he always left a settled community soon after he got his church well established and moved on to a new region where his particular genius enabled him to establish new missions and build them into parishes. Regarded as the father of the Episcopal Church in Dakota, he left a record to his church and the Masonic fraternity that is exceeded by few men. His picture hangs in the state capitol building at Pierre, S.D. as one of the pioneer citizens of the state and in the Masonic Temple at Yankton, S.D. as its first Worshipful Master and founder of the lodge, as well as in the lobby of the Masonic Temple at Manitowoc, Wisconsin in memory of his great service to the Masonic fraternity of this city. It may be truly said that Rev. Melancthon Hoyt laid the foundations of our lodge deep and strong in keeping with the character of this exemplary craftsman.
HENRY H. HUHN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.41-4. That Wisconsin has nearly one-half of the cheese factories in the United States is due to the fact that this large industry has been in the hands of capable business men, of high standing in their communities and experienced in their work. One of the leading cheese manufacturers of Manitowoc county is Henry H. Huhn of Manitowoc Rapids, who was born November 9, 1866, on the old Huhn family homestead in the town of Center, Manitowoc county, a son of Ferdinand and Henrietta (Schultz) Huhn. Godfried Huhn, grandfather of Henry H., came to the United States from Saxony, Germany, in 1848, and settled in the town of Center, where he took up eighty acres of land, and continued to cultivate that during the remainder of his life, his death occurring in 1871, his wife having died some years previous to that time. He was buried in the cemetery located two miles west of Cleveland. Ferdinand Huhn, now a retired citizen of Cleveland, was fourteen years of age when he came to the United States with his father, and at the time of the latter’s death succeeded to the ownership of the home property. He retired in 1908, and is now living quietly, being seventy-eight years of age. He and his wife have had nine children, of whom eight are now living. Henry H. Huhn received a district-school education, and worked on the home farm until nineteen years of age, at which time he located in Branch and began to work in the cheese factory of Charles Bahr. After six or eight months there and employment in other places for various periods, Mr. Huhn in 1896 bought the factory in Branch where he first worked, conducting it for six years and then selling it to buy a factory at Valders. Five years later he moved to Manitowoc, and for five months worked at the county asylum, and in 1911 he bought his present factory in Branch. He has a well established business, and is ranked among the leading citizens of Manitowoc Rapids. On August 27, 1895, Mr. Huhn married Ida Luebke, who was born in 1868 in the city of Manitowoc, and they have four children: Neva, born July 20, 1897; Constance, born February 6, 1901; Iva, born August 23, 1906; and Erna, born April 28, 1910.