[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
Albert and Alvina (Krajnik) Pagel, June 30, 1923
Alvina (Krajnik) Pagel
RICHARD KENDALL PAINE, M. D. This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.22-25. With the sturdy characteristics of Puritan ancestry Dr. Richard K. Paine in the practice of medicine in Manitowoc, won for himself a creditable and notable position in his life work constituting an important chapter in the history of the medical profession here. He always held to high ideals and he supplemented his thorough preparatory training by continuous study as the years passed on. He was born in Orange, Vermont, October 5, 1841, a son of William B. and Lovina (Averhill) Paine. He came of a family of English origin, tracing the lineage back to 1764 when Richard Paine, his great-grandfather, was born. Members of the family have been prominent in various walks of life since the Revolutionary war in which a number of the name actively participated. When ten years of age Richard K. Paine was brought by his parents to the “unredeemed west,” and their home was established near Fond du Lac. The public schools of this locality furnished him with his early education and later he had the benefit of a course of instruction in Wayland Academy. All business and personal considerations however, were put aside when in 1864 Dr. Paine enlisted for service as a member of Company F. Twenty-first Regiment of Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Failing health however necessitated his discharge the following September and he was obliged to spend some time in the bracing air of Minnesota in order to recuperate. In 1867 he took up the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. Patchen of Fond du Lac, but after a brief period he returned to Mankato, Minnesota, where he engaged in teaching school and at the same time continued his medical studies under Dr. A. L. Dornburg. In 1871 he entered Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago and two years later he was graduated with the M. D. degree. During the succeeding two years he was one of the physicians at Hahnemann Hospital and he also pursued a course of lectures in the Chicago Medical College. Throughout his life he remained a thorough and discriminating student of the science of medicine, constantly broadening his knowledge and promoting his efficiency by reading and investigation. In 1874 he located at Manitowoc where for thirty years he engaged in a most successful practice. He was a member of the State Homeopathic Medical Society, the American Institution of Homeopathy and the Wisconsin League of Medical Licentiates, which latter society was organized at Milwaukee in 1900, its name being suggested by Dr. Paine. On the 28th of October, 1874, Dr. Paine was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Patchen, a daughter of Dr. A. J. and Nancy (Kellogg) Patchen, both of whom are now deceased. Her father was at one time a prominent dentist of Manitowoc. Unto Dr. and Mrs. Paine were born two children, Richard A. and Bessie. Fraternally Dr. Paine was connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Royal Arcanum, and served as medical examiner for all three. He likewise belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic and thus maintained pleasant relations with his old comrades who wore the nation’s blue uniform. His life was indeed a busy and useful one and was fraught with many good deeds. In addition to his practice he was a frequent contributor to leading medical journals and his writings attracted wide attention. Death called him on the 14th of November, 1904, and in his passing his family lost a loving and devoted husband and father and the community a capable, successful physician and worthy citizen. -------------- From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 530 Dr. R.K. Paine, physician and surgeon, Manitowoc, is a native of Washington Co., Vt., born in 1843. He removed with his parents to Fond du Lac in 1853. After having received a good preliminary education, and served eight months in the army, in 1870, he removed to Chicago to attend the Hahnemann Medical College, graduating therefrom in 1873. He then became resident physician of the hospital, which position he held two years, afterward removing to Manitowoc, where he has since resided, engaged in the practice of his chosen profession.
Richard Kendall Paine, M.D.
FREDERICK D. PALMER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.373-374. The appeal of the soil is very strong to some men, who return to farming as a means of livelihood after years spent in other pursuits, believing it the best occupation a man can follow. Frederick D. Palmer, after years spent in the contracting business, has settled down to general farming on a tract of sixty acres located in sections 7 and 8, town of Cato, Manitowoc county. Mr. Palmer was born April 3, 1864, in Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, and is a son of Hiram B. and Matilda (Gould) Palmer, natives of New York state. Mr. Palmer’s parents were married in Canada, and in 1864 settled in Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, where Mrs. Palmer died when our subject was only fourteen months of age. About three years later, Hiram B. Palmer was married to Miss Susannah Butler, and they are now making their home with their son, Frederick D. Hiram B. Palmer has practically retired from active work, after many years spent as a traveling salesman, which, with the exception of six years spent in farming in Manitowoc county, was his occupation throughout his life. Frederick Palmer is the youngest of four children, and he received his education in the public schools of Manitowoc county. At the age of fourteen years he started to make his own way in the world, working for wages as a farm hand for some time and then commencing to learn the trade of mason and bricklayer. In this connection he worked all over the county and in the cities, as a journeyman and contractor, for upwards of twenty-six years. He was the contractor on the east wing of the high school at Reedsville, of the Kellner Hotel in Marabell, various buildings, factories and residences in Kaukauna, including the Kaukauna schoolhouse, and many other structures throughout this part of the state, for about twenty years. In 1906 Mr. Palmer purchased his present farm from his father-in-law, and here he has carried on agricultural pursuits to the present time. Nearly all of Mr. Palmer’s land is in a high state of cultivation, and is fenced principally with woven wire. He carries on general farming and dairying and raises grain and sugar beets, milks on an average of eight cows and keeps graded cattle and Chester-White crossed with Poland-China hogs. He also owns two full-blooded Yorkshire breeders. The residence, which is one story and a half in height, was built by his father—in—law in 1889 and was remodeled by Mr. Palmer in 1911. It contains eleven rooms not including closets and halls. His basement barn, thirty six by sixty feet, was built by Mr. Palmer in 1906 and is equipped with patent stanchions. He also has a chicken coop thirty by forty feet and a hog house of the same dimensions on his farm. The water supply for all purposes on this property is secured from a drilled well. On October 8, 1889, Mr. Palmer was married to Miss Luella Whitcomb born May 9, 1874, and the fourth of a family of five children of Aaron Frances Whitcomb, natives of New York state, who were married in Wisconsin. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Whitcomb settled on forty acres of wild land, which forms the nucleus of the present farm of Mr. Palmer, and the first family home was built of logs that were cut on the property by Mr. Whitcomb. Many are the thrilling incidents with the Indians and the wild animals of the forest Mr. and Mrs. Whitcomb encountered in those early pioneer days. Mr. Whitcomb, who was a carpenter by trade, passed away on this property on which he spent so many years in farming on April 7, 1907, when sixty-eight years of age, and his burial took place in Cato cemetery. Mrs. Whitcomb, who survives her husband, makes her home at the Wisconsin Veterans Home at Waupaca and is sixty-two years of age. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Palmer: one who died in infancy; Leslie, who resides at home; Evelyn, a graduate of the Reedsville high school; Olive, Luella and John, who are attending school; and Chester, Aaron and Frances, who are residing at home. Mr. Palmer and his family are consistent members of the Presbyterian church of Cato. In his political views he is independent and gives his support to whatever measure or man he considers to be of the most benefit to the greatest number. His fraternal relations are with the Modern Woodmen of America and with the Green Bay Lodge of the Fraternal League. AUG. PALZKOETHER From the Two Rivers Chronicle, Tuesday, December 12, 1905 A DANGEROUS SCALP WOUND Last Saturday a lad 16 years of age, the adopted son of Aug. Palzkoether of the Southside, had his head caught between the automatic safety gate and the descending elevator in one of the Hamilton factories and the scalp on the entire top of his head was torn from the skull. It is a great wonder that his head was not crushed, but the scalp tearing from the bone allowed the head to slip out of the elevator, but the wound was a terrible one. He was taken to the office of Drs. Currens & Christensen and the scalp was drawn back into position and the edges of the wound stitched together. The lad stood the operation with remarkable bravery. He is now said to be doing as well as can be expected and if no complication sets in he will come out all right. GOTTLIEB PANDLE (From the Manitowoc Pilot, Dec. 2, 1875) Married - On the 28th day of Nov. A.D. 1875, at the First Ward of this city, by John O'Hara, justice of the peace. Mr. Gottlieb Pandle, of this city, and Miss Caroline Rieseburg of the town of Schleswig, in the County of Manitowoc, Wis. MRS. PANEY Taken in Manitowoc
IGNATZ PANKRATZ Family Group Sheet Husband: Ignatz Pankratz Name: Ignatz Pankratz [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] Gender: Male Birth: 24 Jan 1832 in Springenberg (Pomezi) Domazlice (Czechoslovakia) Death: 24 Feb 1875 in Francis Creek, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA [1, 6] Burial: Marriage: 04 Feb 1856 in Manitowoc Rapids, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Father: Ignatz Pankratz Mother: Teresia Hublovia Other Spouses: Anna Schmatz (b: 12 Sep 1834) ********** The Manitowoc Pilot 4 March 1875 "Last Friday Ignatz Pankratz, who recently bought the sawmill of Wenzel Chloupek, in the town of Kossuth, was caught in a belt and before he could be extracted was torn and mangled in a fearful manner. Both legs were broken, one of them fairly pulled out at the hips. Dr. Coakley was immediately summoned, but the poor man was so severely injured that medical assistance could do him but little good, and he died in a short time." Wife: Anna Schmatz Name: Anna Schmatz [3, 3, 10, 11] Gender: Female Birth: 12 Sep 1834 in Wilkau, Bavaria, Germany [8, 9] Death: 14 May 1931 in Hammond, Lake, Indiana, USA Burial: Father: Wolfgangus Schmatz Mother: Anna Bangerl First husband was Ignatz Pankratz Other Spouses: Christian Pfiel (b: 1856) Frederick Zinkbeil (b: 1821) CORRECTION: concerning any children from her marriage to Friedrich Zinkbeil. His children were from a prior marriage to a Lena or Helena possibly Ganz or Janson or Janz. They were step children to Anna Schmatz and she did raise them as her step children. Children: 1 Name: John Pankratz [1, 2, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18] M Gender: Male Birth: 04 Jul 1857 in Branch, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA [2, 12] Death: 18 Nov 1943 in Los Angeles, California  Burial: Marriage: 12 Oct 1878 in Kossuth, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Spouses: Rosi Dolezal (b: Abt. 1861) 2 Name: Ignatz Pankratz [13, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23] M Gender: Male Birth: 16 Mar 1859 in Cato, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Death: 23 Jul 1935 [13, 24] Burial: Marriage: 17 Jun 1883 in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Spouses: Dora Eatough (b: 26 Dec 1857) 3 Name: Anna Kathryn Pankratz [2, 13] F Gender: Female Birth: 1861 in Cato, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Death: 1955 Burial: Marriage: 18 Jan 1879 [2, 13] Spouses: Frank Drucks (b: 1827) 4 Name: Barbara Pankratz [2, 13, 26] F Gender: Female Birth: 24 Jul 1864 in Cato, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Death: 03 Apr 1933 in Wisconsin, USA Burial: Marriage: 08 Apr 1883 in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Spouses: Ernest Leiteritz (b: Bet. 1839–1869) Jacob Gardner (b: 1851) 5 Name: Lewis Pankratz [2, 13] M Gender: Male Birth: 26 Nov 1865 in Manitowoc, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA [2, 13] Death: 29 Sep 1890 [2, 13] Burial: Marriage: 01 Jan 1888  Spouses: Francisca Held (b: 1850) 6 Name: Joseph Pankratz [9, 13, 27, 28, 29, 30] M Gender: Male Birth: 11 Jan 1868 in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Death: 19 Jun 1922  Burial: Marriage: 17 Sep 1887  Spouses: Anna Unknown Emilie Schnable (b: Abt. 1867) 7 Name: Wolfgang Pankratz  M Gender: Male Birth: 21 Jan 1870 in Kossuth, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Death: 26 Dec 1940 in Colburn, Chippewa, Wisconsin, USA  Burial: Marriage: 07 Apr 1891 in Wisconsin, USA [13, 31] Spouses: Catharine Fahrbach (b: 1854) Ruth A Pankratz (b: Abt. 1895) 8 Name: Mary Pankratz [13, 14] F Gender: Female Birth: 28 Mar 1872 in Kossuth, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA  Death: 1966 Burial: Marriage: Spouses: Philip Kemmeter (b: Dec 1865) 9 Name: Franciscum Pankratz M Gender: Male Birth: 09 May 1874 in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, USA Death: Burial: Marriage: Spouses: ================================ Sources 1 Mclaughlin.ftw. 2 OneWorldTree. Ancestry.com. One World Tree (sm) [database online]. Provo, UT: MyFamily.com, Inc. 3 Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 (Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2004). Online publication - Yates Publishing. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2004.Original data - This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and electronic databases. Originally, the information was derived from an array of materials including pedigree charts, family history articles, querie. 4 Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004), Database online. 5 Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004), Database online. 6 St. Anne's Catholic Cemetery, Kossuth Township, Manitowoc Co., Wisconsin Location: 0.25 mile north of the junction of County V and Highway 141, cemetery is located on eastside of Highway 141. Copied by Alloy Mc Cully, Marcie Baer, Adeline & Kathy Tolksdorf , Rose Luebeck, Hilary & Ruth Vanderbloemen and Virginia Posny, MCOCS, on Sept. 3 and October 1, 1978. Typed and proofread by Hilary Vanderbloemen. Re-indexed June 25, 2000 by Kristin Spaude and Joseph Petska. Cemetery is the Parish Cemetery of St. Anne's Catholic Church, Village of Francis Creek. Maintained in excellent condition. Earliest remaining stone is 1853.Ignatz Pankratz age 42 died 2/24/1873 buried in St. Anne's Catholic Cemetery, Manitowoc, Manitowoc Co., Wisconsin. 7 Manitowoc County, Manitowoc County WI Marriage Records Ignatz to Anna (Co. Mar. Index v. 1 p. 99). 8 Ancestry.com, 1920 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005), Database online. Manitowoc Ward 2, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, ED, roll, page, image 238. 9 Ancestry.com, 1910 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006), Database online. Green Bay Ward 5, Brown, Wisconsin, ED, roll T624_1702, part, page. 10 Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004), Database online. 11 Ancestry.com, OneWorldTree (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc.), Database online. 12 Ancestry.com, 1910 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006), Database online. Colby West Ward, Clark, Wisconsin, ED, roll T624_1704, part, page . 13 Petersen.ftw. 14 Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1880 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2005). Online publication - Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1880 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2005. 1880 U.S. Census Index provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints © Copyright 1999 Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. All use is subject to the limited use license and other terms and conditions applicable to this site.Original data - United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Tenth Census of the United States, 1880. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1880.T9, 1,454 rolls. Kossuth, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, ED 66, roll T9_1434, page 118.1000, image . 15 Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1880 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005), Database online. Kossuth, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, ED 66, roll T9_1434, page 118.1000, image. 16 Ancestry.com, 1930 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2002), Database online. Cottonwood, Shasta, California, ED 22, roll 220, page , image 554.0. 17 Ancestry.com, California Death Index, 1940-1997 (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000), Database online. 18 Ancestry.com, California Death Index, 1940-1997 (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2000), Database online. 19 United States, Bureau of Land Management, Wisconsin Land Records (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1997), Database online. 20 Ancestry.com, 1930 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2002), Database online. Manitowoc, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, ED 13, roll 2581, page , image 628.0. 21 Ancestry.com., Wisconsin State Censuses, 1895 and 1905 (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007), Database online. 22 Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1880 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005), Database online. Kossuth, Manitowoc, Wisconsin, ED 66, roll T9_1434, page 118.1000, image. 23 Ancestry.com, 1900 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004), Database online. Manitowoc, Wisconsin, ED 72, roll T623 1797, page 14A. 24 Evergreen Cemetery, Manitowoc, Manitowoc Co, Wisconsin, Cemetery Stone located. Ignatz Pankratz 1859 - 1935. 25 Manitowoc County, Manitowoc County WI Marriage Records (found May 3, 2007). 26 Edmund West, comp., Family Data Collection - Individual Records (Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2000). Online publication - Edmund West, comp.. Family Data Collection - Individual Records [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2000. 27 Ancestry.com, 1930 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2002). Ancestry.com. 1930 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2001-. Indexed by Ancestry.com from microfilmed schedules of the 1930 U.S. Federal Decennial Census. Data imaged from National Archives and Records Administration. Fifteenth Census of the United States, 1930. T626, 2,667 rolls. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington D.C. Menasha, Winnebago, Wisconsin, ED 5, roll 2619, page 19A, image 707.0. 28 Ancestry.com, 1920 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2005). Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2005. Indexed by Ancestry.com from microfilmed schedules of the 1920 U.S. Federal Decennial Census. Data imaged from National Archives and Records Administration.1920 Federal Population Census. T625, 2,076 rolls. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington D.C. For details on the contents of the film numbers, visit the following NARA web page: NARA. Note: Enumeration Districts 819-839 on roll 323 (Chicago City, Cook County, Illinois) are missing, even though the NARA catalog lists them as being there. The Family History Library catalog also lists them as missing. Menasha Ward 2, Winnebago, Wisconsin, ED , roll , page , image 655. 29 Ancestry.com, 1900 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2004). Ancestry.com. 1900 U.S. Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2004. Original data: United States. 1900 United States Federal Census. T623, 1854 rolls. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington D.C. Winnebago, Wisconsin, ED 121, roll T623 1824, page 13A. 30 Ancestry.com., Wisconsin State Censuses, 1895 and 1905 (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007), Database online. 31 Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004), Database online. IGNATZ PANKRATZ This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.329-330. Ignatz Pankratz is the owner of a livery and sale stable at 613 York street, Manitowoc, that he has been successfully operating for the past fifteen years. He is a native of this county his birth having occurred at Cato on the 17th of March, 1859, and is a son of Ignatz and Anna Pankratz, natives of Germany. The father emigrated to the United States in 1845, locating on a farm in Cato, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for twenty-nine years. At the expiration of that time he withdrew from farming and purchased a grist and saw mill, in which he was accidentally killed in 1875 at the age of forty-one years. He was buried at Francis Creek. The mother is still living at the age of eighty-two and now makes her home at Stratford, Marathon county. Ignatz Pankratz was a student in the public schools of this county until he was fifteen years of age when he laid aside his text—books and began to engage in the miller’s trade at Manitowoc Rapids. He received five dollars per month for his services the first year, ten the second and fifteen the third, his apprenticeship covering a period of three years. At its expiration he was given a position in a mill in Oregon, this state, giving up his place after thirteen months, to remove to Menasha. He continued to be identified with the same activity in the latter city for three years and as he was thrifty and enterprising during that time, managed to save enough money to go into business for himself. Returning to Manitowoc county he invested his little capital in a grist and saw mill which he operated with increasing success until he came to Manitowoc to engage in the business he is now following. In 1896, he disposed of his mill and coming into the city invested the proceeds realized from the sale in a livery and sale stable. After three years he extended the scope of his activities by putting in a stock of farming implements and machinery. He has met with success in all three lines, as he concentrates his entire energies upon the development and promotion of anything he engages in. Mr. Pankratz is a most capable business man, who not only possesses the faculty of winning patrons but of retaining them. In the conduct of his affairs he conforms to the highest standards of business policy and commercial integrity, thus is accorded the respect of all with whom he has transactions. This county was the scene of Mr. Pankratz’s marriage in 1883 to Miss Dora Eatough, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Eatough, the father a well known pioneer agriculturist of Manitowoc county. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Pankratz numbers six, five daughters and one son, as follows: Flora, who married George Wellmer, a window decorator in Minneapolis; Mabel, the wife of Arthur Wilkie, a farmer in South Dakota; Nellie, a graduate of the local high school who is now teaching in this county; and Bessie, Marion and Louis, who are attending school. The family home is located on St. Clair street, where they have a very comfortable residence which Mr. Pankratz has entirely remodeled during the period of his ownership. In religious faith, Mr. Pankratz and his family are Roman Catholics, and fraternally he is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America and he also belongs to The Bankers Life, while his political allegiance is given to the democratic party. Such success as has attended his efforts in business is due to his absolute integrity and courteous and considerate treatment of his patrons, as it has always been his policy to strive to please and accommodate all who give him their custom, while he never misrepresents an article in order to make a sale. (Could be different Ignatz Pankratz than above) From the Manitowoc Pilot, 29 April 1875: In Probate - Manitowoc County Court In the matter of the estate of Ignatz Pankratz deceased. To all whom it may concern - Letters of Testamentary on said estate of Ignatz Pankratz having been issued to Anna Pankratz on the 5th day of April A.D. 1875 and four months from and after said day being allowed and limited for creditors to present their claims for examination and allowance. Notice is hereby given that the undersigned will on the first Monday in May, June and July next at the probate office in the city of Manitowoc in said county, receive, examine and adjust all claims and demands of all persons against said deceased. T.G. Olmsted County Judge JOHN PANOWITZ
ISAAC H. PARRISH From "A Century of Masonry 1856-1956" by Merle E. Hutchins (with permission) Very little can be found in regard to this brother except that he was a practicing attorney in Manitowoc for a number of years, having come from some place in Michigan, and at different times was in partnership with L.H. Warren and Charles Esslinger. In regard to his legal and political life he was of the Republican Party and was chosen to fill the vacancy of County Judge caused by the resignation of George Lee in November 1856 and served in the same capacity in 1857. He was one of the founders of the "Young Men's Institute." He apparently left Manitowoc to return to Michigan in the early 1860s and no records have been found of his later life. In connection with his service to our lodge, he was one of its founders and served as Junior Deacon while the lodge worked under dispensation and as Secretary for the year 1857. However, he must have left Manitowoc shortly after and on May 18, 1864, he was granted a demit from our lodge. ANDREW J. PATCHEN, D. D. S. This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.441-442. Dr. Andrew J. Patchen, the first dentist to locate permanently in Manitowoc, where he practiced for almost a third of a century, held to high ideals in his profession and strove consistently to reach the highest point of perfection possible. He was born in Hornby. Steuben county, New York, December 24, 1830, his parents being George and Phoebe (Rockwell) Patchen. His education was acquired in the public schools and ere he had attained his majority he was married, thus starting upon life’s journey with one with whom he long traveled happily, theirs being largely an ideal marriage relation. He wedded Miss Nancy M. Kellogg on the 16th of June, 1849. She was born at Cornwall, Litchfield county, Connecticut, March 13, 1831, and was only four years of age when in 1835 her father, Dr. James H. Kellogg, removed to Steuben county, New York, where she was given superior educational advantages for that day, enabling her to successfully pass a teachers’ examination at the early age of twelve years. Of course she was too young to enter actively upon the work of the profession at that time but when fifteen years of age she took charge of a school. She was in her eighteenth year when she gave her hand in marriage to Andrew J. Patchen, the wedding being celebrated at Monterey, Schuyler county, New York. In the same year they started westward accompanied by Mrs. Patchen’s people, making the journey by boat around the Great Lakes to Wisconsin. In due time they landed at Sheyboygan Falls, where they remained for a brief period and thence went to Brothertown, from which place they went to Fond du Lac. Dr. Patchen was identified with the business interests of that place until after the outbreak of the Civil war, when he enlisted, on the 10th of May, 1861, as a member of Company I, Fifth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He was with the army in Virginia and because of his capability and valor won promotion, being made orderly sergeant. He served with that rank until he became ill and unfit for further field duty, when he was discharged and returned home, November 25, 1861. In June, 1862, Dr. Patchen came to Manitowoc and here organized Company G, which became a part of the Thirty-ninth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, which was commissioned June 10, 1864, and served until September 22, 1864. As its captain he went with this company to the front, the regiment being assigned to duty with the Army of the Tennessee. He participated in many hotly contested battles and his own courage often inspired the men who served under him. While in Fond du Lac Dr. Patchen had pursued the study of dentistry under Dr. Hoyt and when the war was over he entered upon the practice of his profession in Manitowoc, remaining in active connection with dentistry to the time of his death, which occurred on the 12th of November, 1897. He was accorded an extensive practice which grew in volume and importance as the years passed by. Through reading and study he kept in touch with the advanced work of the dental fraternity and was quick to adopt any improved methods which his judgment sanctioned as of value in the work of the profession. He was a worth member of the Grand Army of the Republic, was an active worker in the Masonic order and was also a leading member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the founder of the Odd Fellows Lodge at Two Rivers. Mrs. Patchen survived her husband for about two years. The four children of their family who are yet living are Mrs. R.K. Paine, Ida E. Patchen, Mrs. D.J. Mahoney and Dr. George W. Patchen. "Mrs. Patchen," wrote one who knew her "was a woman of pronounced, sturdy character, above conceits and shams, and always demanding in her business dealings that honest integrity she was ready to extend herself. Being a woman of retiring disposition she preferred the quiet domestic comforts of her home and books, among her children and grandchildren, to the more exciting social events which she rarely attended." In the passing of Dr. and Mrs. Patchen Manitowoc lost two of her representative and valued residents. The sterling traits of character which both displayed commended them to the high regard and good will of all who knew them and made their example one well worth of emulation. ---------------------- From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 530 Andrew J. Patchen, dentist, Manitowoc, was born in Corning, Steuben County, N. Y., Dec. 24, 1830. He left New York, July 4, 1849, and arrived in Wisconsin July 15, same year, and settled in Plymouth, Sheboygan County, where he clerked and followed various kinds of business. After this he went to Sheboygan and clerked a short time in a hotel; from there to Calumet, following various kinds of business. In the Spring of 1854 he went to Fond du Lac and engaged as driver of a passenger carrier from the latter city to Sheboygan. This lasted one summer. He then clerked in a hotel about two years, and in July, 1856, he went into the dental office of Dr. A. L. Hoyt, and remained three years in gaining knowledge of dentistry. He then traveled and practiced his profession until Spring, 1861, and enlisted in Co. I, 5th Reg. Wis. V. I., as first sergeant; served about six months, and was discharged November, 1861, on account of failing health. In November, 1862, he went to Manitowoc and helped recruit men for the 32nd Regiment, his health being such that he could not go into the service then. In Spring, 1864 he raised a company of one hundred days troops for 39th Regiment. Enlisted and served as captain, being mustered out at Camp Washburn. Since then he has lived at Manitowoc and followed his profession, in which he has been very successful, securing a good practice and possessing a fine home. He was married, June 16, 1849 at Monterey, Steuben County, N. Y. His wife's maiden name was Nancy M. Kellogg. She was born March 13, 1831, in Litchfield, Conn. They have had seven children - Libbie, George E., deceased, Ida E., Terah J., deceased, Josie, George and Ralph W. PAULUS BROTHERS This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.69-70. Paulus Brothers, one of the leading musical instrument firms of Manitowoc, located at No. 908 South Eighth street, are the successors to the Manitowoc Music Company, which was established in 1895, by Carl H. Paulus and William G. Esch, and was purchased in 1903 by Herman H. and Walter W. Paulus. The firm handles a full line of musical instruments, sheet music and sewing machines, and occupies a floor space of twenty by one hundred feet. Several salesmen are employed, and a large business is done in the city and its surrounding territory. Carl H. Paulus, father of Herman and Walter Paulus, was born July 19, 1839, in Germany, a son of John William Frederick and Sophia Elizabeth (Goeters) Paulus, the former a merchant in woolen and silk yarns. Carl H. Paulus came to the United States October 24, 1867, as a young man, and on February 11, 1871, was married to Miss Mary Moldenhauer, who was born in Germany, and in 1857 came to America with her parents, Gustav and Henriette (Moritz) Moldenhauer. Carl H. Paulus has been identified with the fire insurance business in Manitowoc for nearly forty-five years. He is a prominent member of the Odd Fellows, and has also been well known in political matters, and during the early days served for a long period as justice of the peace. He and his wife had a family of seven children, of whom five are living, as follows. Emily, who married William G. Esch; Emma, who married William B. Duhnke; Walter, who married Ella Hess; Clara, who married Ernst Busch; and Herman H., who married Hettie L. Goedjen. All of the children received good public-school educations in Manitowoc. The Paulus brothers are both able businessmen, and are well known in musical circles of Manitowoc, where they have spent their entire lives. Herman H. Paulus serves as piano tuner for the firm. WILLIAM H. PAULY This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.646-647. William H. Pauly is a prominent factor in business circles of Manitowoc as a jobber in cheese and since 1908 has served as secretary and treasurer of the Pauly & Pauly Cheese Company, which has a large warehouse on Quay street. His birth occurred in Port Washington, Wisconsin, on the 15th of August, 1886, his parents being Nicholas and Lucille Pauly. In 1866 the father emigrated from Germany to the United States and established himself in business as a manufacturer of cheese at Port Washington, becoming one of the pioneers in that branch of activity. At the present time he is living retired in Port Washington. William H. Pauly acquired his education in the place of his nativity and was graduated from high school in 1903. Subsequently he took up the profession of teaching, acting as an instructor in Ozaukee county for three years. On the expiration of that period he became a jobber in cheese at St. Louis, Missouri, where the firm of Pauly & Pauly still conducts a branch establishment. In 1908, however, our subject came to Manitowoc and has here since remained, ably discharging the duties devolving upon him as secretary and treasurer of the Pauly & Pauly Cheese Company. The business of this concern has reached extensive proportions, and its warehouse is as large as any in the state. Mr. Pauly has displayed excellent executive ability and sound judgment in his official capacity and, though still young in years, has attained a position in business circles which augurs well for the future. In politics Mr. Pauly is a democrat, while fraternally he is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Columbus. He is also a devoted communicant of St. Boniface Catholic church. His residence is at No. 920 South Twelfth street. ALVINA (KOHN) PAUTZ
CHARLES PAUTZ From the Manitowoc County Chronicle Two Rivers Wisconsin, June 1875 We learn of a singular accident which occurred to a young man named Charles Pautz. For some time he has been at work near Appleton, and last Friday while walking along the road asked of a passing farmer the privilege of a ride. It was granted him, and he soon seated himself on a board and the farmer drove on. While going on a somewhat rapid rate the wagon struck a stump or stone, and the young man was lifted up from the seat, by the force of the concussion, and came down again with such force as to cause internal injuries which ended in his death. He was brought home here last Saturday and was buried Sunday, a large number of friends attending his funeral. (Note: He is probably ??? Pautz in Evergreen cemetery #44) JAS. PAYTON From the Manitowoc Pilot, Mar. 3, 1870 Accident - A week ago last Wednesday, Mr. Jas. Payton, a boilermaker at work on the new steamer Corona, in this city, was engaged with some other workmen on a scaffold, in repairing the boiler, when from some unforseen cause he slipped from the platform, and was precipitated some nine or ten feet into the hold of the steamer, striking on a jack-screw and breaking three or four of his ribs. He is under the care of Dr. Schallern, and is doing as well as could be expected under the circumstances. JAMES W. PECH This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.505-506. One of the well known and highly successful business men of Manitowoc is James W. Pech, who owns and conducts one of the leading livery stables of the city. In connection with this he also operates a dray line and a storage warehouse. He is descended from one of the early pioneer families of Manitowoc county and was born on the old homestead in Kossuth township on the 10th of February, 1871. His parents are Ignatz and Mary (Soukup) Pech, both natives of Bohemia. As a child of seven years, in 1849, Ignatz Pech emigrated to the United States with his parents and his brothers, Matt, Frank and Washington and his sister Mary. The family destination was Wisconsin and upon their arrival here the father took a homestead in Kossuth township, this county, that is now the property of his son Ignatz. It contains one hundred acres of fertile land and here for sixty-three years the Pech family have been engaged in general farming and stock- raising. James W., our subject, was the third child in order of birth in his parents’ family, the others being as follows: Anton, Joseph, Jerry, Charles, Henry, Rosa, Adolph, Fred and Steven. James W. Pech was reared on the old farm in Kossuth township and educated in the district schools. After laying aside his text-books he learned the blacksmith’s trade, which he successfully followed for fifteen and a half years. He is diligent and thrifty and during that time he saved enough money to enable him to open a livery stable. In the development of this enterprise as indeed with everything with which he has been identified, he manifested the determination of purpose, foresight and sagacity that invariably achieve success. Like every young man who is entirely dependent upon his own exertions he was compelled to begin in rather a small way and was more or less handicapped because of his limited finances, but he is resourceful and efficient despite innumerable difficulties and hardships is now the owner of one of the finest and best equipped stables in the city. He has good horses and a fine line general vehicles and is accorded an excellent patronage. He has recently added to his equipment a fine, up-to-date funeral outfit comprising a handsome black and silver gray funeral car, together with cabs and closed carriages to accompany it. As his business developed he extended the scope of his activities by starting a dray line and a storage house and both have prospered in a highly satisfactory manner under his capable direction. He maintains a blacksmith department in connection with his stables where his horses are shod and his vehicles kept in repair. Mr. Pech’s success has not been in any sense phenomenal but has been marked by the orderly progression that follows intelligently concentrated effort when sustained by unceasing diligence. On the 14th of June, 1900, Mr. Pech was united in marriage to Miss Ellen M. Day, the event being celebrated in Manitowoc. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Pech, as follows: Ethel Grace and George Waltham, both of whom are attending school; and Elaine Ruth and Allison Everett, twins. Fraternally Mr. Pech belongs to the Masonic order of Manitowoc, the Fraternal Reserve Association of Oshkosh and the Knights of the Maccabees, while his political support he always accords the men and measures of the republican party. Mr. Pech is an example of the enterprising, progressive business man, who recognizes and utilizes to the best possible advantage every opportunity.
This is the front and the back of this photo card. I believe this is Alvina (Kohn) Pautz.
From L->R: Clara (Cizek) Krainik, Joseph Pech, Blanche (Cizek) Pech, Boldy Pech. Blanche is the daughter of Anton B. Cizek, from his first marriage to Annie Buric. I had first thought that picture was of Joe and Blanche's wedding, but another family member pointed out that would only be possible if they were time travelers - they were married October 2, 1914, and the car in the picture was a 1930 Erskin.
Jos. PeilThis is part of a large photo of men who belonged to the B.& M.I.U. No. 12 of Manitowoc. It can be found at the I-43 Antique Mall at Manitowoc B & M I U = Bricklayers and Masons’ International Union of America B&MIU was a successor to the Bricklayers International Union of the United States of North America, founded in 1865. In 1910 the B&MIU became interested in organizing plasterers and the union’s title then became the Bricklayers, Mason, and Plasterers’ International Union of America. REV. WILLIAM J. PEIL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.505-506. The fact that Rev. William J. Peil has for thirty-one years been retained as pastor of St. Boniface Catholic church at Manitowoc, is an indication of his popularity and worth in the community. He is a native of Wisconsin, born in Racine on the 3d of October, 1849, and is the eldest in a family of seven children whose parents were Louis and Susan Peil. At the usual age he was enrolled as a pupil of the parochial school in Racine and studied for the ministry in St. Francis College, at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, being ordained there August 6, 1872. His first ministerial charge was that of assistant pastor of St. Joseph’s church in Milwaukee, his service there covering ten months. On the expiration of that period he assumed charge of St. Louis church in Caledonia, Racine county, Wisconsin, ably filling the pulpit there for eight years, or until May, 1881. At that time he came to Manitowoc and took charge of St. Boniface Catholic church, of which he has been pastor to the present time, covering a period of thirty-one years. During Father Peil’s pastorate a new church has replaced the old structure, this being started in the fall of 1884, and completed and dedicated two years later, in the fall of 1886. The following year a schoolhouse was erected, which contained four rooms, while in 1896 a rectory was built. In time, however, the school building proved inadequate to the needs of the pupils and in 1910 the old building was remodeled and built to, there being now ten rooms, and the pupils, numbering four hundred and thirty, are under the supervision of Sister Superior Bridget, who is ably assisted by the Sisters of St. Francis, the corps of teachers numbering nine. The church, too, has almost doubled its membership during Father Peil’s pastorate, for when he assumed charge of the parish it numbered two hundred and fifty families, while today there are four hundred and fifty families ministered to. In 1902 some of the communicants withdrew and formed a congregation known as Sacred Heart, which is located on the north side of the city, and its communicants number about two hundred families. Father Peil is recognized among all who know him as a man of sterling worth, sound judgment and kindly disposition and he is popular not only among the people of his own parish but among those of other denominations as well. Rev. William J. Peil
From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 530 Rev. William J. Peil, pastor of St. Boniface Roman Catholic Church, Manitowoc, was born in Racine, in 1849; commenced his studies at the seminary of St. Francis of Sales, Milwaukee, in 1862; graduated in 1872; was assistant at St. Joseph's in Milwaukee, for ten months; removed from that city to Caledonia, Racine County, and in 1881 came to Manitowoc. ALBERT A. PEKARSKE From the "Souvenir Book of The Diamond Jubilee of St. Casimir's Congregation At Northeim (Newton) Wisconsin 1868 - 1943" Born Sept. 4, 1897, at Northeim, he attended local school District No. 6, and graduated from Manitowoc high school in 1915. He entered the school of dentistry at Northwestern University from which he graduated in 1918. Dr. Pekarske established his practice at Manitowoc and has been in this business for the last 26 years.
JOHN PEKARSKE From the "Souvenir Book of The Diamond Jubilee of St. Casimir's Congregation At Northeim (Newton) Wisconsin 1868 - 1943
Born at Northeim, he joined the U.S. Army, during World War I. He conducts a Men's Clothing Store in Manitowoc since 1921. WALTER E. PELLETT This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.281. Walter E. Pellett, sheriff of Manitowoc county, is one of the leading general contractors of Manitowoc, and conducts offices at No. 2502 Twenty-fifth street. He was born in Manitowoc county, March 20, 1859, and is a son of Jason and Delia (Rodgers) Pellett, who came from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin in 1853, and purchased government land, on which the family resided until 1897. In 1876 Mr. Pellett purchased a half-section of land in Iowa, which is still owned by his sons. He was one of the early county commissioners of Manitowoc county, and was a prominent man of his day. He died in 1907, in Iowa, and his wife passed away there in 1902. Of their seven children, four are still living. Walter E. Pellett received a country-school education, and as a young man engaged in the logging and contracting business. He was a member of the county board from the fifth ward for many years, and was first elected sheriff in 1903, being reelected to the office in 1910. He carries on business as a general contractor, pile driving being a specialty, and always keeps a plentiful supply of piles on hand. Mr. Pellett was married May 2, 1881, to Catherine Bartelme, a daughter of Michael and Margaret (Mueller) Bartelme, who came to Manitowoc county in 1855 and spent the remainder of their lives there. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Pellett: Margaret, who married Joseph Williams and resides in Manitowoc; Walter and Ada. Mr. and Mrs. Pellett are members of the Catholic church, and their son Walter is a member of the Catholic Order of Foresters and the Knights of Columbus. ELI PELTIER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.270-271. Eli Peltier, a farmer and stock—raiser on section 8, in the township of Mishicot, is one of the prominent agriculturists of this part of Manitowoc county, and ranks high in the esteem of his fellow townsmen. Mr. Peltier was born in the town of Mishicot, on the old family homestead on section 6, February 28, 1866, and is a son of George and Harriet Peltier, and a grandson of Heleric and Solwa Peltier. George Peltier was the third youngest of a family of seventeen children, and was born in Quebec, Canada, May 8, 1830. On attaining his majority, in 1851, he came to Wisconsin and his first employment was on the foundations of the tannery at Two Rivers, at which place he was also engaged in fishing for several seasons. He was married at Two Rivers to Harriet Ruelle, a daughter of Frank Ruelle, who came to Manitowoc county in 1850, and after his marriage settled on forty acres of wild land on section 6, town of Mishicot, where he built a log cabin and took up the work of an agriculturist. As soon as he had cleared and developed his original purchase, Mr. Peltier added to his property, until he owned one hundred and eighty acres, and after thirty-five years spent on his farm he moved to Oconto, where he is now living a retired life. His wife is deceased. They had sixteen children, of whom eight are still living. Mr. Peltier was one of the pioneers of this part of the county, coming here when there were no roads nor improvements of any kind, and he experienced all of the hardships of the early settler, but has lived to see the wilderness changed into a prosperous country, made so by the efforts of just such men as he. Eli Peltier secured his education in the district school in the vicinity of the home farm, and in 1891 he purchased forty acres of improved land on section 8, to which he later added twenty-five acres, and subsequently forty acres, in 1908. He has a fine modern home, a barn thirty-six by one hundred feet, with a double silo, and other buildings for the shelter of his stock, grain and machinery. He raises Jersey cattle and graded hogs and horses, and carries on general farming in a successful manner. In 1891 Mr. Peltier was married to Miss Ida Fehrman, who was born in the town of Newton, Manitowoc county, a daughter of the late Ernst Fehrman, and to them have been born the following children: Archie, Olive, Mabel, Ivy, Vernon, Stella, Milton and Rollin. CHARLES PESTIEN husband of Wilhelmine Suzanne Sinner Charles Pestien is Called to Rest After an Illness. Charles Pestien, 79, of 1809 N. Twelfth street, died Friday at 2:15 p.m. at his home after an illness of several months. Born May 15, 1863, in Manitowoc county, he was the son of Fred and Sophie Pestien. He spent his early days in Manitowoc county and in 1888 came to this city. He started out as a carpenter, later became a carpenter-contractor and retired from active work 10 years ago. He was a former member of the local carpenters' union. On Dec. 28, 1896, he married Wilhelmine Sinner, who survives him with three daughters and one son, Esther at home, Mabel of Green Bay, Victor of Lawrenceburg, Ind., and Mrs. Gertrude Kastelic; city, a brother, Fred of this city, and a sister, Mrs. Sophie Johnson, Bismark, N.Dak. Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Ballhorn Funeral chapels, the Rev. E.R. Krueger officiating with burial in Wildwood cemetery. The body can be viewed at the funeral home. (Sheboygan Press, Monday June 1, 1942, p. 2) Charles Pestien is Laid to Rest. Funeral services for Charles Pestien, 79, who passed away at his home, 1809 N. Twelfth street on Friday were held Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the Ballhorn Funeral Chapels. The Rev. E.R. Krueger, pastor of St. John's Evangelical church officiated and burial was made in Wildwood cemetery. Pallbearers were L.S. Halverson, W. Miesfeld, Frank Kotnik, Jr., A. Phieme, H.F. Meyer and Louis Kastelic. (Sheboygan Press, Wednesday June 3, 1942, p. 4) JOHN J. PETERIK The following from the Herald Times Reporter, Tuesday Dec. 7, 1999: Charles A. Peterik, age 90, formerly of Christel Drive, Valders, died Sunday afternoon, Dec. 5, 1999 at River's Bend Health & Rehabilitation Center, Manitowoc. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday, December 8, 1999, at St. John's United Church of Christ. Officiating will be Rev. Robert Meyer with entombment to take place at Knollwood Mausoleum, town of Kossuth. Charles was born August 8, 1909, in Shoto, son of the late John and Minnie Arnholz Peterik. He grew up in Rockwood and attended school there. He married the former Hulda A. Rodewald on November 24, 1945, at Milwaukee, Wis. She preceded him in death in 1982. The couple resided in Newton, Wis. Mr. Peterik was a truck driver for several companies in Manitowoc County until his retirement in 1982. He was a member of St. John's United Church of Christ and a member of the Teamsters Union Local #75. Survivors include one step son, three grandchildren, four great-grandchldren and numerous relatives. He was preceded in death by two sisters, Edna Peterik and Blanche Lex. JOHN PETERIK From the Two Rivers Reporter, Saturday, July 4, 1914: At St. Luke's Church Tuesday morning Mr. John Peterik and Mary Scheuer, daughter of Nic Scheuer of Mishicot were united in marriage by Father Bell. NIELS P. PETERSON From co. record, v.7 p.319 doc.41 HUSBAND: Niels P. Peterson FATHER OF HUSBAND: Peter Peterson MAIDEN NAME OF MOTHER: Anna Peterson/Peterson OCCUPATION OF HUSBAND: farmer RESIDENCE OF HUSBAND; Town of Cato BIRTHPLACE OF HUSBAND: Denmark FULL NAME OF BRIDE: Frances Kleinbauer FATHER OF BRIDE: Fred Kleinbauer MOTHER OF BRIDE: --- BIRTHPLACE OF WIFE: Germany MARRIAGE DATE: March 26, 1904 PLACE OF MARRIAGE: Parsonage Gjerpin Congreg. Church COLOR: white CHURCH OF CEREMONY: Lutheran Church WITNESSES: Knud Norstad, Rose Kleinbauer NAME OF MINISTER: A.J. Hefron, Jerpen, Manitowoc County, WI DATE OF CERTIFICATE; March 26, 1904 DATE OF REGISTRATION: March 29, 1904 ALBERT PETSKA This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.507-508. The enterprising town of Maribel owes much to the efforts and the energy of Albert Petska. He is the owner of a general mercantile store, of a hotel and saloon and his position as a public-spirited citizen is indicated in the fact that he is now serving as chairman of the county board. He was born in Bohemia, Austria, March 10, 1869, a grandson of Jacob and Theresa (Frank) Petska. both of whom lived to an old age. The former was a farmer by occupation and thus provided for his family. His son, Thomas Petska, the father of Albert, was born and reared in Bohemia, was there married and in 1870 came with his wife and family to the United States, settling in Manitowoc county. He began farming in the district now known as Rosecrans Corners. He married Catherine Rosenmueller, a daughter of Peter Rosenmueller and Maria (Binder) Rosenmueller, the latter a daughter of Jacob and Theresa Binder, of Bohemia. The death of Thomas Petska occurred February 22, 1903, when he had reached the venerable age of eighty-six years, and his wife, who was born May 12, 1838, died on the 3d of March, 1912, when about seventy-four years of age. In their family were eighteen children, twelve of whom are now living. Albert Petska was a pupil in the public schools of his native country to the age of twelve years, after which he engaged in farming. He came with his parents to America and remained with them throughout their entire lives. After his father’s death he sold the farm but in the meantime he had carefully saved his earnings and he invested his capital in property. In 1903 he purchased his present place, which he called Rosecrans, and here he has a hotel, saloon, and general store, carrying a stock of dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes. He is reliable in his business methods, enterprising and progressive in the conduct of his interests, and his success is the merited reward of earnest, persistent and honorable labor. In 1891 Mr. Petska was united in marriage to Miss Anna Hamernik, who was born in Cooperstown township, at what is now Rosecrans Corners, November 29, 1865, a daughter of John and Frances (Nostacke) Hamernik, both of whom were natives of Bohemia, Germany. They became pioneer settlers of Manitowoc county, where the father carried on farming for a number of years but later opened a store in Rosecrans Corners, continuing in the business to the time of his death. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Hamernik were born twelve children, of whom ten are yet living. Mr. and Mrs. Petska have become the parents of five children: Edward, aged twenty; Lillian Ann, eighteen years of age, a graduate of Maribel schools; Albert, sixteen years of age; Tilly Emma, fourteen years of age; and Frankie, aged eleven. The parents were both reared in the Catholic church and are earnest and active workers in its behalf while to its support they contribute liberally. Mr. Petska is an earnest democrat, loyal to his party, and for three years he has served as supervisor from his district. He was also treasurer for four years and for the past five years has been chairman of the county board. He is faithful and capable in the discharge of his duties and his work in office has won him the high commendation of all concerned. THOMAS PETSKA This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.505-506. Thomas Petska is engaged in blacksmithing and wagon making at Rosecrans in Coopertown township and the industry and energy which have characterized his life have constituted the features in his success, making him one of the substantial citizens of the community. He was born in Bohemia, Austria, in 1852, and is the son of Thomas Petska and a grandson of Jacob and Theresa (Frank) Petska, who were natives of Austria and there passed away at an advanced age. The father, who was also born in Bohemia and remained there until after his marriage, came with his wife and family to the United States in 1870, settling in Manitowoc county, where he began farming upon what is still known as the Petska homestead at Rosecrans Corners. He married Catherina Rosenmueller who was born May 12, 1838, and is the daughter of Peter and Maria (Binder) Rosenmueller, the latter a daughter of Jacob and Theresa Binder, of Kollwitz, Bohemia. The death of Thomas Petska occurred February 22, 1903, when he was eighty-six years of age, and his wife, surviving him for a long period, passed away March 3, 1912, at the age of seventy-four years. In the family were eighteen children, of whom twelve are yet living. All the experiences of the farm lad in Bohemia came to Thomas Petska in his boyhood and youth. He was a youth of eighteen when the family came to the new world and following his arrival in America he learned the blacksmith's trade, at which he worked in Green Bay and in Peshtigo, Wisconsin and in St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1882 he returned to Manitowoc county and established his blacksmith shop, being one of the oldest representatives of this trade in Cooperstown township. Later he purchased his present farm and is now largely living retired. He was for many years actively and closely identified with industrial pursuits as a blacksmith and wagon maker, doing all kinds of work and receiving from the public a liberal patronage. In 1882 Mr. Petska was married to Miss Anna Kafka, who was born on the old family homestead in this county, a daughter of Mathias and Margaret Kafka, both of whom were natives of Bohemia. Mr. and Mrs. Petska have become the parents of seven children: Emil, a blacksmith, who married Rosa Greenus and has one child, Adolph; Christina who is the wife of H. Schneider, of Maribel, and has two children; Edward, Wenzel, Albina, Joseph and Helen, all yet at home. Mr Petska was reared in the faith of the Catholic church and has always adhered to its teachings. His wife is also connected with the same church and is a member of the Ladies Aid Society. Mr. Petska belongs to the Green Street Farmers Society and is interested in various projects for the public welfare and the benefit of his fellowmen. He votes with the democratic party and has served for three years as treasurer of his township, but while he is a staunch advocate of party principles he has never sought or desired office to any great extent, preferring to concentrate his time and energies upon his business affairs. His untiring labor, capable management and energy have brought to him a substantial measure of success and he is now numbered among the well-to-do citizens of Cooperstown township. EDWARD PFEFFER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.142-143. Edward Pfeffer has owned and successfully conducted a furniture store and undertaking establishment at the corner of Eighteenth and Washington streets, Two Rivers, for the past ten years. He is a native of this county, having been born in Manitowoc on the 19th of November, 1876, and is a son of Aloysus and Sophia (Stich) Pfeffer. The father was a native of Germany, whence he emigrated to the United States about 1860. Here he subsequently engaged in the hotel business, continuing to be identified with this until his death on the 23d of February, 1882, at the age of thirty-three years. He was buried in Calvary cemetery at Manitowoc. Edward Pfeffer, who was only a young lad when he lost his father, was educated in the public schools of Appleton and Two Rivers, and for two years attended the Catholic parochial school of the latter place. At the age of twelve years he laid aside his text-books and became a wage earner, beginning his business career in the sales department of Schroeder Brothers’ store. He continued in their employ for thirteen years, and during that time acquired sufficient capital to enable him to engage in business for himself. In 1902 he bought the property of the Anna Nilles estate and established a business of his own. He moved to his present location April 18, 1909, it being that occupied by his former employers, and here he has built up a good trade, his enterprise having, under his capable management, proved highly successful. He carries a varied and well assorted stock of furniture and picture frames and he also maintains an undertaking department. For a period of two years he had a partner, Ed. Pilon, but subsequently Mr. Pfeffer bought the interest of the other member of the firm and has since conducted his business alone. In addition to his store, Mr. Pfeffer is interested in the Two Rivers Realty Company, of which he is secretary. At St. Boniface's church, Manitowoc, on the 24th of May, 1905, Mr. Pfeffer was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Kappes, a daughter of Martin and Mary (Zhizhy) Kappes. The father is now deceased but the mother is still living. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Pfeffer, Agnes, Louise, John and Robert. The family reside in an apartment over the store. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ffeffer are communicants of the Roman Catholic church, and he is a member of the Knights of Columbus and the St. Joseph Benevolent Association. He is also affiliated with the Loyal Order of Moose and is vice president of the St. Joseph Athletic Club. Mr. Ffeffer has passed the greater part of his life in Two Rivers where he is widely known and has a large circle of friends.
HENRY PFEFFER From the Manitowoc Pilot, March 10, 1870: IN PROBATE - Manitowoc County Court In the matter of the estate of Henry Pfeffer, deceased. On reading and filing the petition of Mrs. Anna Pfeffer, of Manitowoc, in said county, representing among other things that Henry Pfeffer, late of said county, on the 9th day of April A.D. 1868, near Waukegan, Ill., died intestate, leaving goods, chattels and estate within this state, and that the said petitioner is mother of said deceased, and praying that administration of said estate be to Alois Pfeffer granted, it is ordered that said petition be heard before the judge of this court on Wednesday the 16th day of March A.D. 1870 at 10 o'clock a.m. at my office in said county. Ordered further, that notice thereof be given to the heirs of said deceased, and to all persons interested, by publishing a copy of this order for three successive weeks prior to said day of hearing, in The Manitowoc Pilot a weekly newspaper published at manitowoc in said county. W.W. Waldo, County Judge Manitowoc Feb.23, 1870
G.C. PHILHOLM From the Manitowoc Pilot, JANUARY 27, 1870 Mr. G.C. PHILHOLM, merchant tailor, while proceeding to his residence one day last week, slipped and fell upon the icy sidewalk, bruising one of his hands in a painful manner.
PETER PHILIPPS From the Wisconsin Blue Book, pub. 1909: Peter Philipps, Sr. (Rep.) of the city of Kaukauna, born June 5th, 1835 in Geisfeld, Prussia (Rhineland). Received a common school education; is a retired farmer and blacksmith; came with his parents to Wisconsin in 1846, and to Meeme, Manitowoc county in March, 1848. Enlisted in Company B, 45th Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, as a private; was stationed at Nashville, Tennessee; promoted to sergeant and was mustered out at the expiration of war by order of the war department. Has been postmaster of Meeme nineteen years. Was secretary at the Meeme Mutual Home Protective Fire Insurance Co. seven years. He was elected to the assembly from the First district, Manitowoc county, for the year 1882. Moved with his family to the city of Kaukauna in 1890, was appointed postmaster in 1894 by Dr. H. B. Tanner, first Republican mayor of the city of Kaukauna, and held the office under different Republican administrations for four years. Is now holding the office of supervisor of the third ward and has been ten years, the last five years having been elected without opposition. Was elected member of the assembly in 1908, receiving 2,265 votes against 2,225 votes for Henry Knapstein (Dem.). Notes: Peter came with his family on the Brig Albana, out of Antwerp, Belgium, arriving July 29, 1846 in NYC. The family was listed as Peter Phillips 42, tailor, from Germany to US; Gertrude 41; Nickolas 13; Peter 11; Adam 7, Mathias 4, Helena 1 1/2 yrs. In the 1830s the family lived in Geisfeld, Trier, Rhineland, Germany. Peter's father (Peter Philipps) bought land in Meeme on August 1, 1849. Most of the Philipps family is buried in the cemetery at St. Fidelis Catholic Church, Meeme twp, Manitowoc County, WI Peter Philipps (b 1835) married Anna Gross (b 1842) about 1860 in Meeme, Manitowoc County. Their children were Elizabeth (1861), Peter (1863), Helene (1864), Anna (1866), Andrew (1868), Willie (1871), Catherina (1873), Mary (1876), Margaret (1880), Rose (1883), Clara June (1886), Sophia (1890). Per Federal Census ---
(Submitted by researcher/see contributors page)
NICKOLSINE "NICKY" PHILLIPSEN
Nickolsine Philippsen Lincoln High School Class of 1930
Photo courtesy of the Manitowoc Public Library