[ A ][ B ][ Be ][ Bo ][ Bu ] [ C ][ D ][ E ] [ F ][ G ][ Gr ] [ H ][ He ][ Hi ] [ I ][ J ][ K ] [ Ke ][ Kj ][ Kr ]

[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]

[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]

ADAM KLEIN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.163-164. Adam Klein, an undertaker, conducting business at 1712 West Park street, was born near Wiesbaden, Germany, April 17, 1866, his parents being Adam and Elizabeth (Meisner) Klein, both of whom passed away in their native country. After acquiring his education in his native land Adam Klein came to America in 1884, locating immediately with an uncle, George Klein, upon a farm. He remained there for one year and during that time gained some knowledge of the English language and also acquired experience in American methods of work and business. Later he went to Manitowoc where he was employed by Carl Sanders for one year. At the end of that time he came to Two Rivers and began learning the cabinet maker’s trade with the Hamilton Manufacturing Company, with whom he was connected for seven years. At that time he purchased the Harry Wilsman Furniture Store, which he has since been operating in conjunction with his undertaking business. His venture proved a success from the beginning. Each year his trade has increased until his establishment is now well known throughout Two Rivers and vicinity. Mr. Klein has gained for himself an enviable reputation by reason of his conscientious work, and his is one of the most popular furniture stores and undertaking establishments in the city. On the 19th of May, 1894, Mr. Klein was married to Miss Alvena Gents, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Gents, pioneer settlers of Two Rivers where they are now engaged in agricultural pursuits. To Mr. and Mrs. Klein seven children have been born: Rudolph, who is seventeen years of age, attends the Wisconsin Business College; Cathrine, who has reached her fourteenth year is a pupil in the public school; Edwin, Leona and Lothar, aged respectively twelve, ten and eight years, attend the German Lutheran school; Albert, who is six years of age attends the public school; and Sylvia who has had three birthdays. Mr. Klein is a member of the German Lutheran church. He resides near his store, and prefers to spend his time with his family when not compelled to give his attention to the manifold duties of his business.

M. C. KLEMAN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.241-242. M. C. Kleman, who is part owner of the Palace Steam Laundry, which is located at 915 South Tenth street, has been connected with the business interests of Manitowoc since 1886. His birth occurred in Kossuth, Manitowoc county, October 29, 1863, and he is a son of Michael and Katherine (Schwartzenbarth) Kleman. The father came from Germany to Kossuth in 1855 where he purchased a farm of forty acres, which at that time was practically unimproved land. He developed it and later disposed of it before purchasing a farm near Manitowoc, on which he lived until the time of his death. During the Civil war he served as a volunteer in Company D, Sixth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He was honorably discharged at the close of the war after having been incarcerated in Libby Prison. In politics he was a democrat and served as assessor of Kossuth for seven terms. He was also treasurer of Manitowoc for four years and served here as assessor for several years. His death occurred on the 27th of January, 1894, and he is interred in Calvary cemetery. The mother is still living. M. C. Kieman acquired his education in the public schools but at the early age of thirteen years was compelled to lay aside his text-books and earn his own livelihood. He remained with his father, assisting him in the cultivation of the home farm, until he was twenty-three years of age. At that time he came to Manitowoc and for eleven years was employed in various positions in the shipyards. During that time he learned many business methods and also discovered his own ability. Subsequently, in 1898, he purchased the Palace Steam Laundry in partnership with Albert Vetting. They are both men of enterprise, alert and energetic, and the success which is theirs is the visible evidence of well directed thrift and intelligently applied energy. They have not only held the patronage which the laundry enjoyed before their ownership but they have also increased it to such an extent that it has been necessary to enlarge the buildings and install additional machinery. On the 5th of October, 1889, in Manitowoc, Mr. Kleman was married to Miss Dora Meyer, a daughter of Fred and Johanna Meyer, who have lived in Manitowoc for many years. To Mr. and Mrs. Kleman three children have been born: Adna and Reuben, who are living at home; and Allen, who is nine years of age and is attending school. Mr. Kleman gives his political support to the democratic party and has served as alderman of the fifth ward for one term. In religious faith he is a Roman Catholic. He also holds membership in the Royal League. The family reside at 1013 South Seventeenth street, in the well appointed and commodious house which Mr. Kleman erected in 1911.

ADOLPH KLESSIG This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.425-426. Adolph Klessig is engaged in general farming on his place of one hundred and twenty acres in Centerville township, Manitowoc county, and makes a specialty of raising Guernsey cattle and Jersey hogs. For many years he followed cheese-making in connection with his agricultural pursuits. but has turned his factory, which is situated on his farm, over to his son. He was born in Centerville township, December 13, 1857, a son of August Klessig, a native of Saxony, Germany. The father came to America in 1850, settling in this county, where he followed farming and also the business of cheese-making, erecting one of the first cheese factories in this part of the country. He began the business in 1874 and continued it until the time of his death, which occurred in 1900. Adolph Klessig is one of a family of nine children born unto his parents, and was reared and educated in Manitowoc county. After laying aside his textbooks he learned the cheese-making business and in 1874 began work in that line for his father, continuing thus for six years. He then operated a factory at St. Wendel, where he was thus employed for six years, after which he went to Dakota and spent one summer looking over the country, but as it did not please him he returned to Centerville township where he purchased a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, which he still owns. The farm when he purchased it had a cheese factory among its other improvements and he continued to operate the factory until 1909, since which time it has been operated by his son. Mr. Klessig, however, continues to do general farming and raises a number of Guernsey cattle and Jersey hogs each year. Mr. Klessig was married April 17, 1883, to Miss Louise Grasser, a daughter of Stephen Grasser, a native of Germany, who passed away in 1907 at the age of ninety years. During his residence in Centerville township Mr. Grasser followed agricultural pursuits but before his death he retired from active business and his last days were spent in Sheboygan. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Klessig were born three children: August, who was born in Centerville township, February 25, 1884; Erna, who married Edward Lutze, Jr., a cheese-maker by trade; and Herbert, who is still at home. The eldest son, after receiving a good common-school education, learned the cheese-maker’s trade and in 1910 embarked in that line on his own account, since which time he has thus been employed. He was married on the 10th of October, 1909, to Miss Emma Lutze, a daughter of August Lutze, an old settler of this county. They have one child, Reuben and continue to reside on the old Klessig homestead. The family are members of the Lutheran church except Mrs. Adolph Klessig, who is a member of the Catholic church. Politically Adolph Klessig is in sympathy with the republican party but he is a broad-minded citizen and casts his ballot for the candidate whom he thinks best qualified for office. He has been very successful in business operations and is among the most respected farmers of the community in which he has so long resided. He is one of the substantial citizens of his township and is highly esteemed by his many friends and acquaintances.

ERNST KLESSIG This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.528-529. Ernst Klessig is one of the progressive and prominent farmers of Manitowoc county, living on section 31, Centerville township. He owns a fine farm of one hundred and forty-eight acres which he has brought under a high state of cultivation and upon which he has erected good improvements and makes a specialty of raising fine stock as well as doing diversified farming. He was one of the promoters of the Mosel-Centerville Telephone Company, of which he is the president. He was born in Centerville township, October 12, 1864, a son of Ferdinand Klessig, a native of Saxony, Germany. The father emigrated to the new world in 1848, when he was twenty-four years old, settling first in Washington county, but came to Manitowoc county in 1849, where he lived thereafter, engaged in agricultural pursuits. He started with three hundred and twenty acres but sold a considerable portion of his holdings later, so that now only one hundred and forty-eight acres of the original homestead remains. He continued to live upon that farm until his death, which occurred November 29, 1903, when he was seventy-eight years of age, his birth having occurred October 26, 1825. During his lifetime he did diversified farming and was a successful agriculturist. His wife was Amelia (Hinges) Klessig, also a native of Saxony, Germany. Their wedding, however, was celebrated in Manitowoc county, she having emigrated to the United States in 1850 with her brother. Ernst Klessig is one of the eight children born unto his parents, being the seventh in order of birth. He was given a common-school education and during his boyhood assisted his father with the farm work and has since made the homestead his place of residence. He acquired the farm in 1889, a place comprising one hundred and forty-eight acres of land. He is making a specialty of raising Guernsey cattle and Poland China hogs. He has long been one of the most up-to-date and progressive farmers of his neighborhood, and was one of the promoters of the Mosel-Centerville Telephone Company, of which he is now the efficient president. He has also held the office of township assessor, performing the duties connected therewith very satisfactorily. Mr. Kiessig was married August 30, 1890, to Miss Mary Wiegand, a daughter of Carl Wiegand, a native of Germany, who emigrated to America at an early day. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Klessig have been born eight children, as follows: Emma, who was educated at the Oshkosh Normal school and has since taught school; Leonora, who attended the Lutheran high school in Milwaukee; Althea, who is attending high school; Alfred; Walter; Clarence; Myra, and Ernst, Jr. In business life Mr. Klessig has always been one of the most industrious men of the community and as he has given a great deal of study to up-to-date methods his efforts have always been well directed and the result of his labors is that he has acquired a very comfortable competence. He has been occupied not only with business affairs concerning his own personal fortune but has also taken a commendable interest in the matters of the community. He takes pride in the growth of the section of the country where he was born and reared and has by his active life added very materially to the sum total of its prosperity and advancement. There are few men in the township who are more favorably known or more highly esteemed, and few, if any, who have been of more service as progressive citizens.

LEO H. KLESSIG This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.537-538. One of the successful and well known cheese makers of Centerville township, Manitowoc county, is Leo H. Klessig, who when a boy ten years of age began learning the trade which he has followed all his life. He owns and operates his own factory which was built by his father, and has had thirty-four years of active experience in that line of work. He was born in this township, April 8, 1867, a son of August Klessig, a native of Saxony, Germany. Leo H. Klessig was given a common-school education and at the age of ten years began learning the cheese-maker’s trade in his father’s factory, the same plant which he is now operating so successfully. He has followed this business for thirty-four years, giving it his undivided attention and serving his customers with promptness and great efficiency. Mr. Klessig was married, December 15, 1895, to Miss Amelia Kolp, a daughter of Carl Kolp, a native of Germany. The father was an agriculturist by vocation and lived in Meeme township, where he passed away some years ago. The mother still survives and now lives on tbe old home place. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Klessig one child, Evelyn, was born, who is now a student at school. Mr. Kiessig is a member of the German Lutheran church, in the work of which he takes an active interest. During his residence in this township of nearly a half century he has thoroughly established himself in the confidence and respect of his neighbors and a large circle of acquaintances and friends among whom he has always been recognized as one of the best citizens and an upright man. He has by careful attention to business, constant endeavor and rigid economy, built up a very lucrative business and has a most excellent financial standing. He is widely known in Manitowoc county and is recognized by all who know him as one of its most desirable citizens.

OTTO KLESSIG This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.523-524. Among the successful and well known agriculturists of Centerville township, Manitowoc county, is Otto Klessig, who is operating a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres. He was born in Centerville township, where he has since resided, September 26, 1862, a son of August Klessig, a native of Saxony, Germany. The father came to America in 1848 and settled on the farm which is now owned and operated by his son. He owned a small farm in Germany which he operated, but disposed of that property before coming to the new world. The grandfather was a wagon-maker by trade and although he never resided in this country he came here at one time to visit his relatives. August Klessig always followed the business of farming, being thus engaged at the time of his death, which occurred June 9, 1900, when he was seventy years of age. His wife, Elizabeth (Wagner) Klessig, was also born in Germany and died in January, 1911. They were both members of the German Lutheran church, in the faith of which they had been reared. Otto Klessig was educated in the district school near his father’s home and after laying aside his text-books took up the business of farming, at first for his father, and later, in 1888, on his own account. His farming operations have always been conducted on the place which belonged to his father and which he now owns, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres of land. He has been very successful and is a stockholder in the Cleveland State Bank and also in the local telephone company. Mr. Klessig was married May 20, 1888, to Miss Sophia Walschlaeger, a daughter of August and Augusta Walschlaeger and to them three children were born: Elsa, Edwin and Roma, all yet at home, the second now attending high school at Sheboygan. Mr. Klessig, who is among the very successful agriculturists of the community, is well and favorably known in Manitowoc county. He takes an active interest in the affairs of the neighborhood and is regarded as one of its leading citizens. He has a wide acquaintance and is very highly esteemed by all who know him.

FRANZ KLIMMER Manitowoc Pilot, April 17, 1868 FRANZ KLIMMER. Was an old resident of Manitowoc, and aged about 50 years. About a year ago he sold his farm, just out of town on the Calumet road, and went to Chicago to go into business with a son-in-law. He came to Manitowoc for the balance of the money, due on his farm, which he got and left with his son-in-law here, Mr. Haegen, but had about $500 on his person when lost. He leaves a wife and two married daughters.

ARTHUR KLINGHOLZ This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.426-431. Arthur Klingholz, who was born on the farm that he now owns on the 6th of January, 1859, has passed his entire life in Manitowoc Rapids township where his family have been identified with agricultural pursuits for over sixty years. He is a son of Charles and Henrietta (Arndt) Klingholz, natives of Germany, where they were also married and spent the early years of their domestic life. In his boyhood, Charles Klingholz was employed in calico mills in his native land, continuing as a mill hand there until 1849, when he determined to seek his fortune in the new world. He was an enterprising, ambitious man, possessed of much business sagacity, who felt convinced that with the advantages and opportunities afforded in the United States he could rapidly advance to a position that would assure him independence and comfort as well as ease in his later years. So in the spring of 1849 together with his wife and three children he crossed the Atlantic to the United States, with Wisconsin as his destination. Upon his arrival in this county he located just south of the village of Manitowoc Rapids, which at that time was the county seat. During the first year his family resided in the village, while he was clearing the land and preparing a home. All the land in this vicinity at that time was covered with a dense growth of timber, and it required considerable time to clear it and place it under cultivation. The Klingholz family were more comfortably situated than the majority of the pioneers, as in 1850 the father erected the large, old-fashioned, substantially constructed residence on the farm, that is now occupied by his son and family. It is built in the German style and is quaint and interesting and presents a most attractive appearance and despite the fact that it has done service for more than sixty years, a long period as time is gauged in this country, it is one of the finest appearing houses in that vicinity. About the same time he also erected a grist and sawmill on the river, operating the same in connection with the cultivation of his farm for many years. In 1867, he tore down the mill and moved it closer to the village, where it stands today and is still being used for a grist mill. Mr. Klingholz was in many ways a most remarkable man and he became one of the foremost citizens of his community. He was progressive and enterprising and possessed the initiative and determination of purpose that enabled him to carry to a successful issue anything he undertook. The mother passed away in 1875, but he continued to live on the farm until 1888 when he removed to Manitowoc, although he still was active in the operation of his mill and farm. Although he had attained a ripe old age at the time of his death in 1888, he possessed the vitality of a man many years his junior and was fully competent to direct his affairs. Of the twelve children born to Mr. and Mrs. Klinghoiz nine lived to attain maturity. Arthur Klingholz has passed his entire life amid the scenes with which he is familiar, but during that period he has been the interested observer of the many and marvelous changes that have taken place with the onward stride of civilization. In the acquirement of his education he attended the common schools of Manitowoc Rapids, and while still in his early boyhood he assisted with the work of the farm and also about the mill. After he had mastered the common branches he laid aside his text-books and subsequently learned the carpenter's trade. He continued to work in the mill for his father until 1890, when owing to the condition of his health he was compelled to give up this occupation and returned to the farm. Following the death of his father he bought the interest of the other heirs in the old homestead, which he has ever since owned and operated. It has always been well kept up and is one of the best equipped and most valuable properties in the comnmnity, and annually yields Mr. Klingholz a goodly income. In connection with the cultivation of his fields he has also followed his trade, and still does considerable cartpenter work. In 1887 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Klingholz to Miss Catherine Bolle, a daughter of Charles Bollee of Kossuth, where she was born and reared, and they have become the parents of one child, Lena, whose natal day was the 12th of May, 1888. Mrs. Kingholz and her daughter are communicants of the Roman Catholic church, but he does not affiliate with any denomination. He is a public-spirited man, who takes a deep interest in all township affairs, but he has never been an aspirant to official honors, although for the past eight years he has been a member of the local board of school directors. Mr. Klingholz is a well known and highly respected member of one of the estimable pioneer families, and enoys the favorable regard of a large circle of acquaintances.

Arthur Klingholz Mrs. Arthur Klingholz

CHARLES KLINGHOLZ From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 535 Flour mills, Manitowoc Rapids, was born June 27, 1812, in Prussia. He came to Manitowoc County in 1849, and at once engaged in the milling business, which he continued until 1874, when his sons rented his mill. Mr. Klingholz opened a general supply store, which he conducted several years. He has served several years as Chairman of the County Board. He was also appointed one of the directors and was agent for the finance for the Manitowoc & Mississippi Railroad. While in Prussia, he was engaged in the coal and iron business, and owned ten vessels, which he used for the transportation of these commodities on the Rhine. He was, in 1840, married to Miss Herriette Augendt, a native of Wesel, Germany. She was born in 1827. They have five children, two sons and three daughters.

CHARLES KLINGHOLZ / KLINGHOLTZ Manitowoc Tribune Vol. 18 No. 2, Thursday April 27, 1871, Page 4 Column 6 Married. Klingholz = Albuts. On the evening of April 20th, 1871, at the residence of Mr. Claus D. Lawrence, Esq., by Don A. Shove, Court Commissioner, Mr. Charles M. Klingholtz and Miss Louisa Alberts, all of this city. The young couple have our sincere congratulation for continued happiness.

RICHARD F. KLINGHOLZ This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.19-20. Richard F. Klingholz, engaged in the wholesale liquor business in Manitowoc, his native city, was born in 1872 and, as his family name indicates, comes of German ancestry. His father, Richard Klingholz, was born on the Rhine, in Germany, where he remained to the age of thirty years, when he sailed for America, hoping to enjoy better business opportunities than he could secure in the fatherland. He settled in the south, living on a cotton plantation until after the war when, because of the demoralization of trade in that section of the country, he came to the north, making his way to Manitowoc county. Here he engaged in farming and also in the livery business. He afterward established a liquor business, conducting a wholesale enterprise of that character, his trade interests largely covering the state of Wisconsin. In the livery business he was associated with a Mr. Tilson. In his various undertakings he prospered as the years went by, owing to his earnest labor and capable management. He built the Klingholz Hall, situated on South Eighth street. He continued in the wholesale liquor business until his death, which occurred April 12, 1895, when he had reached the age of seventy-five years. Mr. Klingholz was married in the ‘40s to Miss Victoria Zinns, of Buffalo, New York, and they have become the parents of nine children, of whom eight are yet living, namely: Mrs. J. J. Martin, a resident of Milwaukee; Mrs. R. M. Pengilly, of Kansas City, Missouri; V. R., of Manitowoc; Mrs. Beaubean, also of Manitowoc; Richard F., of this review; E. C., living in Indianapolis, Indiana; William R., of Marinette, Wisconsin; and Hilda, at home. In his political views Mr. Klingholz was a democrat and gave stanch support to his party. He was ever a public-spirited citizen and took a deep and helpful interest in the growth and development of Manitowoc, his aid and cooperation being always given to any measure for the city’s material growth and improvement. Richard F. Klingholz, whose name introduces this review, pursued his education in the schools here and after putting aside his text-hooks joined his father in the liquor business, becoming a partner in the enterprise in 1896. After his father’s death the business was incorporated with Richard F. Klingholz as president of the company, J. Kostlevy, as vice president and treasurer, and J. M. Wilda as secretary. The business is conducted under the name of the Klingholz Company and its trade relations are extending over a constantly widening territory. In 1898 Richard F. Klingholz was united in marriage in Manitowoc to Miss Anna Willinger, a daughter of Frank Willinger, a representative of one of the pioneer families here. Of this marriage has been born one son, Richard. Mr. Klingholz is a democrat in his political views, and fraternally he is connected with the Eagles. He is active in affairs of the city and strongly desires its welfare and advancement, giving his cooperation to many movements which he deems of essential worth in promoting the city’s growth.

ARTHUR D. KNAPP This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.459-460. Arthur D. Knapp, now practically retired, but for many years active in agricultural pursuits in Manitowoc county, was born September 19, 1848, in the town of Rapids, this county. He is a son of David and Hannah (Osborn) Knapp, natives of New York state. They married in 1836, shortly thereafter moving to Battle Creek, Michigan, where they lived until 1847. In that year they came to Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, and spent a short period in Rapids. In June, 1849, they came to the farm now occupied by Arthur D. Knapp. Here they bought one hundred and sixty acres of land from the government. Their trip was made overland in the usual pioneer fashion and arriving at their new home, the father put up a small log house and began clearing his land, living upon it until his death, on October 1. 1897, when he was in his eighty—fifth year. His wife died in 1882, when in her sixty—second year, and both are buried in the Clark’s Mills cemetery. They were among the very early settlers of this locality, and suffered from the privations and hardships incident to their times. Supplies had to be hauled by sled from Manitowoc, during the winter months and the journey took from two to three days. Indians were numerous, although not hostile, and Mr. Knapp remembers many interesting events connected with them. The father was a democrat, and very prominent in local affairs, serving as chairman of the town many years. Arthur D. Knapp was the sixth of nine children, and remained on the homestead, receiving a good common—school education in the public schools, following which he attended the Manitowoc Seminary, from which he was graduated. Following this, he taught school two terms of nine months each, and then began farming, and has followed that line of work ever since. Marrying, Mr. Knapp took charge of the farm, and when his father died he inherited the homestead of one hundred and sixty acres. Later he sold all of it, but twenty—three acres, to the Quarry Company and other parties at a good price. The twenty—three acres he retained, he hires help to work for him, having retired. His frame barn, thirty—two feet by forty—two feet was built by his father, and was the first frame barn erected in that part of the county. The two-story frame residence was built in in 1893. Mr. Knapp and his father cleared and developed the land and made all of the improvements. On September 8, 1884 Arthur D. Knapp was married to Miss Millie Olson, a daughter of Ole and Bertha Olson, natives of Norway. They married in Norway, and came to the United States about 1853, settling in Sturgeon Bay. There the father died in 1857, but the mother survived until 1903, and both are interred at Sturgeon Bay. Mrs. Knapp was the fourth of their five children, and was born January 11, 1853. Mr. and Mrs. Knapp had a daughter, Georgia B., whom they lost by accidental drowning when she was sixteen years of age. In 1907, they adopted a child, Blanch Leona, born August 15, 1907. To her they are giving the love and devotion they would have bestowed upon a daughter of their own. Both are consistent members of the Presbyterian church of Cato. In politics Arthur D. Knapp is a democrat as was his father, and he has served on the school board since he attained to his majority.

FREDERICK PETER KNAUF, M. D. This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.623. Dr. Frederick Peter Knauf, of Kiel, was born in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, March 18, 1877, a son of Nicholas and Emily (Dietrich) Knauf. The father was a merchant by occupation. Dr. Knauf attended the public school in Chilton, Wisconsin, and began his medical studies in Buffalo, New York, finishing them at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago, from which he was graduated in the class of 1900. Immediately thereafter he began the practice of his profession in New Holstein, Wisconsin, but after three years came to Kiel, where he has since remained, carrying on a general practice. He is a member of the American Medical Association and the Wisconsin State Medical Society and is president of the Manitowoc County Medical Society. He was one of the organizers and serves at present for a second term as president of the Calumet County Medical Society. While in college he belonged to the Alpha Kappa fraternity. Dr. Knauf was married in Chicago, in 1902, to May Grealy, a daughter of John Grealy, now retired. Both he and his daughter were born in Dublin, Ireland. Three children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Knauf, Margaret, Katherine and Frederick Arthur. The family are Catholics and belong to SS. Peter and Paul church of Kiel. In addition to giving his patients the benefit of his years of study and experience Dr. Knauf has also served several terms as village health officer and takes pride in having borne a share in raising the sanitary conditions here to the standard deemed necessary for the preservation of the good health of the public. ******** Dr. F.P. Knauf Of Kiel Dies At Home Wednesday Kiel - Dr. F.P. Knauf, 69, for 46 years a practicing physician and surgeon at Kiel and vicinity, died suddenly at his home here, 628 Fremont street, at noon Wednesday. News of his death will come as a shock to his many friends in Manitowoc, Calumet, and Sheboygan counties where he was widely known. Apparently in good health Wednesday morning, he had looked after some patients at the hospital, but complained of not feeling well when he returned home. He decided to lie down for a rest, but when called later it was found he had passed away. He was a member of the Kiel city park board for 24 years and only resigned from it just recently. Much of the planning for the beautification of Kiel is due to the earnest thought he gave to it in collaboration with other park board members. He was health officer at Kiel for many years and was also deeply interested in all social and civic affairs of the community in which he spent so many years of his life. Dr. Knauf was born at Sheboygan on March 18, 1877, the son of Nicholas and Emilie Knauf. He lived at Brillion until 1880 and at Chilton until 1900. He attended St. Mary's parochial school at Chilton, the Chilton High school, and Canisius college at Buffalo, New York, after which he began the study of medicine at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Chicago. He was graduated there with the class of 1900 and began the practice of medicine at New Holstein. In 1903 he moved to Kiel where he formed a partnership with Dr. S.R. Sleyster until 1905 when he started conducting his own practice which he continued until the day of his death. He was married at Chicago July 1, 1902 to Mary Cecilia Grealy, and there are two daughters, Mrs. Howard (Margaret) Spindler and Mrs. Preston (Katherine) McMurray, both of Mt. Lebanon, Pa., one son, Dr. Frederick A. Knauf of Sheboygan; seven grandchildren. Other survivors are four sisters, Mrs. L.A. Keller and Mrs. F.L. Krekel of Dowargiac, Mich., Mrs. F.K. Raiche and Miss Milly A. Knauf of Marinette; three brothers, William and Dr. N.J. Knauf of Chilton, and Dr. Arthur R. Knauf of Tampa, Fla. He was a member of the St. Peter and Paul church at Kiel, American Medical association, Wisconsin Medical society, Calumet County Medical society, Knights of Columbus, Catholic Knights, Catholic Order of Foresters, and the Kiel Assoc- iation of Commerce. Funeral services will be held at St. Peter and Paul church at 9 a.m. Saturday, with Rev. F.X. Kheil officiating. Burial will be made at St. Mary's cememtery at Chilton. The body may be viewed at the Meiselwitz Funeral home beginning this evening. The Holy Name society of the Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic church of this city will have the Rosary recitation at the church for the departed member on Friday evening at 7:30 o'clock p.m. (May 15, 1946 handwritten on obituary-no newspaper named) ************* Mrs. F.P. Knauf Dies In Pittsburgh Monday Mrs. F.P. Knauf, long-time Kiel resident, died at the home of a daughter in Pittsburgh, Pa. Monday. She was 75 years old. She had made her home in Pittsburgh since 1954. She lived in Kiel for 50 years. A native of Ireland, Mrs. Knauf was born September 5, 1861. She came to this country in 1899 and married Dr. Knauf in Chicago. They moved to Kiel in 1904 after living two years in New Holstein. Funeral services will be held this morning, Thursday, at 10 o'clock at S.S. Peter and Paul Catholic church. The Rev. George Kiefer will be the celebrant of the mass. Burial will be made in St. Mary's cemetery in Chilton. Survivors are two daughters, Mrs. Howard L. Spindler of Darien, Connecticut, and Mrs. Preston V. McMurry of Pittsburgh; a son, Dr. F.A. Knauf of Sheboygan; eight grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; a sister, Mrs. Catherine Grealy of Dublin, Ireland, and a half brother John of Oxford, England. (8-30-1956 hand written on the obituary-no newspaper named.) ******** St. Mary's cemetery Chilton Knauf, Frederick P. Dr. 3-18-1877 5-15-1946 Knauf, Mary 9-8-1881 8-30-1956

CHARLES KNICKELBEIN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.661. Charles Knickelbein since 1900 has been successfully engaged in the plumbing and heating business in Manitowoc, his office being located at 809 Jay street. He was born in Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany, the son of Fred and Sophie Knickelbein, who came to America in 1866. Here the father was employed as a laborer until his death, passing away in 1887 at the age of forty-eight years. His wife, however, preceded him by one year, dying in 1886 at the age of forty-seven. Both are buried in Evergreen cemetery of this city. Charles Knickelbein received his education in the public schools of Manitowoc but at the age of fifteen left school and started out in life for himself. He entered the employ of A. C. Becker, where he learned the tinsmith’s trade, an occupation which he followed for fifteen years. Subsequently he learned the plumbing and heating business and is today meeting with excellent success in that line of work. He now has more than ten men in his employ and his business is extensive and remunerative. At Menominee, Michigan, November 25, 1887, Mr. Knickelbein was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Pfeiffer, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Johannes Pfeiffer, both of whom passed away in Germany. To Mr. and Mrs. Knickelbein have been born three children: Carl, who is assisting his father; Ella, who is living at home; and Earl, who is attending school. In politics Mr. Knickelbein is a republican and fraternally is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He also belongs to the Royal Arcanum, being treasurer of the local lodge, is a member of the Equitable Fraternal Union and belongs to the Royal League. He is one of the leading members of the Concordia Song Club. He resides at No. 1209 Division street at the old family homestead and his laudable ambition and alert, enterprising spirit have given him a prominent place among the German-American citizens of Manitowoc.

GEORGE KNIPFER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.597. George Knipfer, who during his entire active business career has been connected with the fishing industry at Two Rivers, Wisconsin, is known as a progressive and energetic young business man, and is now a member of the firm of Blaha & Knipfer. Mr. Knipfer has resided in Two Rivers all of his life, having been born here June 20, 1884, and is a son of Joseph George and Elizabeth (Bishoff) Knipfer. Joseph George Knipfer was born in the city of Algoma, Wisconsin, and spent his life in the manufacture of fish oil and agricultural pursuits, his death occurring in Two Rivers in 1904, when he had reached the age of forty-one years. His widow still survives and makes her home in this city. She has been the mother of the following children: George, Francis, Michael, Charles, Elizabeth, Cecelia, Jerome and Harold, the last named dying at the age of one year. George Knipfer received his education in the Public schools of Two Rivers, and was reared in this city, but since his boyhood has worked at fishing. He was for one year in the employ of Frank Allie, but eventually formed a partnership with Mr. Blaha, and this association has continued to the present time, the partners having exceptional success with their smart fishing vessel, “The Swan.”


William and Anna are in the buggy in front of their home. Christine is standing near the buggy. The home was built in 1870 on County Highway R at Manitowoc Rapids. Photo was taken in the 1890s. Others in the photo are unidentified. Photo compliments of Gary Omernick

GEORGE KOCH (contributed by family researcher, see contributors page) b: April 13, 1831, m: Barbara Kropf b.Aug. 29, 1831 No marriage date He was a carpenter in Mansbach, Germany. Port of entry: N.Y. in May 22, 1882. They went first Milwaukee where they had several grown children living. Then on to South Dakota, to homestead. Barbara became homesick so they abandoned the homestead and moved back to Milwaukee. Later in the fall of 1882 they all moved to Two Rivers, Wisc., where Barbara had relatives. They lived at 2018 13th St. - on the corner with Hawthorne Ave. I believe George worked at the pail or chair factory in Two Rivers. Barbara died Dec. 7, 1915 at the home of her daughter Mrs. Albert Schmidt in Mishicot. Funeral was at St. John's Lutheran Church, Two Rivers. Burial in Pioneers Rest Cemetery, Two Rivers WI George died March 19, 1916 at the home of his daughter Mrs. Peter Schmitt Funeral was at St. John's Lutheran Church, Two Rivers. Burial in Pioneers Rest Cemetery, Two Rivers WI They had 5 children, all born in Germany: 1) Katherine who married Peter Altmueller and stayed in Germany when the family came to USA 2)Gretchen (legally Margaret)b. 1855 in Germany, married Peter Schmitt also spelled Schmidt) before coming to U.S. children: Anna Schmitt b.Dec. 31, 1877 in Germany teacher in Two Rivers - never married Mary b?? married Adolf Krescheck Isabel? 1882-1883 Augusta - Mrs. J.W. Voboril of burbank CA (listed in Gretchen's obituary as a daughter) Fred. A. Schmitt of Wausau Henry W. b.?? became a Lutheran pastor and served in North Hollywood, CA 3) Friedrich b. March 28, 1861 in Germany, was a Lutheran pastor in Hadar, NE and then Caledonia, Wi. Wife's name: Minna children: Henry (Dr.Henry - lived in Manitowoc on N.8th St.) Henrietta b.?? married Gustav Berg Frieda b.?? married a Mr. Duehring Augusta b.?? lived in Beaver Dam 4) Marie b. June 2, 1863 in Germany married Albert Schmidt and lived in Mishicot on a farm children: George Schmidt b. ?? - took over the farm Clara b. ?? - married Herman Liese William Schmidt b. ?? 5)Henry b.March 30, 1869 in Germany, a Lutheran pastor in Redwood Falls, Minn., Greenville and Reedsville, Wisc. married: Nov. 3, 1897 or 1898, Ida Katherine Wilhelmina Lueders (b. March 3, 1874 in Milwaukee, WI.) children: The first two born in Redwood Falls, Minn. Hans William Koch - b. Sept. 7, 1898 or 1899 Reinhardt George Koch - b. June 27 or Aug. 25, 1900 Gerda (the first Gerda) - b. Sept. 3, 1901 - died Jan. 30, 1902 may have been born in Redwood Falls, Minn. or Greenville, WI Gerda Marie (the second) - b. April 8, 1903 in Greenville or Appleton, WI Marcus Otto b. Aug. 11, 1904 in Greenville or Appleton, WI married: April 15th, 1933 in Backus, Minnesota, to Irene (b. Nov. 4, 1916) They had 6 children Priscilla Amalia b. Aug. 27, 1912 in Reedsville, WI died Feb. 15, 1914 in Reedsville. She is buried in the St. John - St. James Lutheran Church cemetery. I also have marriage certifcate info from Manitowoc Co. Friedrich Koch p. George & Barbara Koch m. Aug. 26, 1888 vol. 5 page: 420 to: Minna H. Damber Albert Schmidt (this is not the judge) p. Karl Schmidt & Maria Johannes m. April 22, 1885 vol. 5 page: 250 to: Marie Koch p. George & Barbara Koch Fred Matthies p. Carl and Carrie Matthies m. Oct. 30, 1884 vol. 5 page: 215 to: Margaret Zinn p. John Carl & Anna Margaret Zinn


CHRIS. KOEBKE From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 529 Restaurant, saloon and billiard hall, Manitowoc. Born Oct. 7, 1838, in Mecklenburg, Germany. He came to Manitowoc in 1857, and was engaged in various kinds of labor for about eighteen months. Then went to St. Louis, and worked as gardener in Shaw's and O'Fallen's and Carter's garden, remaining in that city for about two years and one half. Sept. 15, 1861, he returned to Manitowoc and opened this business, which is now one of the finest in this city. He married in 1876, Miss Bertha Rode, of Hesse-Darmstadt. They have one son, Walter Koebke.

JOHN FRANK KOECK This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.474-475. John Frank Koeck, manager for the Pioneer Canning & Pickling Company at St. Nazianz, is recognized as one of the representative business men of Manitowoc county, occupying a prominent and enviable position in industrial circles. He has steadily advanced to his present connection through his own merit and ability and has builded his success upon the sure and safe foundation of industry and preservance. He was born June 24, 1860, in Decatur, Illinois, a grandson of Frank Koeck, who lived to be nearly one hundred years of age and passed away in Landau, Bavaria. He served as lieutenant in the army and for a long period was connected with military life but later retired. His son, Frank Koeck, the father of J.F. Koeck, was born in Landau, Bavaria, Germany, and came to America in early manhood, settling in Springfield, Illinois, where he engaged in merchandising, spending the greater part of his life in that city. During the Civil war he espoused the cause of the Union, enlisting as a member of Company B, Forty-fifth Regiment of Illinois Infantry. He became ill at New Orleans and almost lost his life there. Although he recovered somewhat his death was occasioned from the effects of his army experience and he passed away in the spring of 1862, at the age of thirty-six years. His wife bore the maiden name of Victoria Minder, and died December 11, 1899, at the advanced age of seventy-three years. She was the daughter of August Minder and a native of Oberhausen, Germany. She came to America with her first husband and after his death became the wife of Frank Koeck. The subject of this review is the only surviving child of that marriage but has two half-sisters: Emma, who is the widow of Christian Siefert; and Julia, the wife of Richard Roderick, residing at 3560 Rhodes avenue, Chicago. John F. Koeck was only about two years old at the time of his father death. He was reared in St. Nazianz and pursued his education in the public schools here. He afterward engaged in teaching in Manitowoc county for five years but afterward took up the carpenter’s trade and still later entered the undertaking business, in which he continued until 1910, when he sold out in order to concentrate his energies upon industrial pursuits, in which he had in the meantime become engaged. It was in 1901 that he accepted the position of manager of the Pioneer Canning & Pickling Company and in the ensuing interval to the present time, covering a period of eleven years, he has so directed the affairs and interests of the business as to make it one of the profitable and growing business concerns of St. Nazianz. The company holds to a high standard in the excellence of its output, in the methods of canning employed and in the reliability of its trade methods with its patrons. The success of the undertaking is attributable in large measure to Mr. Koeck, whose sound judgment has enabled him to so direct the interests of the business as to gain substantial results. On the 26th of November, 1885, Mr. Koeck was united in marriage to Miss Mary Littenherger, who was born at St. Nazianz, February 21, 1864, a daughter of Adolph and Elizabeth (Sprang) Littenberger, who were among the oldest pioneers of this settlement. Mr. and Mrs. Koeck have become the parents of four children. George J., twenty—five years of age, a business man of Baraboo, Wisconsin, married Gertrude Roth and has one child, Beatrice. Alexia Maria, born August 14, 1888, has charge of the store owned by her father. Albert Frank, twenty-one years of age, is associated with his father in business. Viola Elizabeth, eighteen years of age, is now a student in St. Francis Academy at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The parents are devoted members of the Catholic church and Mr. Koeck is a prominent representative of the Catholic Knights, serving as secretary of the state organization. In politics he is nonpartisan, and his fellow townsmen, appreciative of his worth and ability, have frequently called him to public office. In 1886 he was elected town clerk and for thirteen years filled that position. He also served for three years as chairman of the town board and for twenty years has been justice of the peace of the village, his long continuance in office indicating that his decisions are strictly fair and impartial. He is not only a man of enterprise and progressiveness in business but also of sterling worth in all life’s relations, and commands and deserves the respect and good will of those with whom he has been brought in contact.

J.A. KOEHLER From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 529 General merchandise, Manitowoc. Born Dec. 29, 1827, in Prussia. Came to New York in the capacity of a sailor in 1849. At the age of thirteen years he commenced sailing, continuing at this business until 1859, when he retired from the lakes and established his present business. He was captain the last five years he followed the lakes. From a small beginning he has worked into a large and prosperous business. Married in 1857, to Fredonca Kanser, of Mecklenberg. They have five children, one son and four daughters.

P.J. KOELZER The following information provided by Mary Koelzer Sandler Added information on the Koelzer (or Kolzer in German) family: There are at least 2 branches of the same family from Mittelstrimmig, Rheinland, Germany who settled in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin. Peter Joseph KOELZER (from above in the marriage section) was the son of Johann Jos. KOLZER (1796-1854, Altstrimmig, Rheinland, Germany) and Maria Magdalena Klein (1796-1846 Altstrimmig). Peter Joseph Koelzer (born 1831 in Altstrimmig or in Mittelstrimmig) emigrated in the spring of 1853, when the other Koelzers were also emigrating. A cousin has written that P. J. Koelzer lived for 17 years in New York, though I do not know exactly where or when. P. J. Koelzer and the below Andreas Kolzer were cousins, once removed, and descended from 2 brothers in Mittelstrimmig, Rheinland, Germany. Andreas Kolzer (this contributor's 2nd great grandfather), another early settler of Manitowoc County, remained in Manitowoc County where several of his children settled, while 3 of his children, after a few years of living in Wisconsin, went on to Nemaha Co., Kansas. Descendants are still in Kansas, and in parts of Texas, Missouri, Colorado and California, as well as distant cousins remaining in the Mittelstrimmig area of Germany. Andreas Kolzer was born 1800 in Mittelstrimmig, Rheinland, Germany, emigrated in 1853, died Feb 1863, and is buried in St. Anne's Catholic Cemetery, Kossuth Township, Manitowoc Co., Wis. He was the son of Johann Peter Kolzer and Sybilla Theis of Mittelstrimmig. Andreas was married in 1825 at SS. Philippus and Jacobus Kirche in Mittelstrimmig to Magdalena Peiffer (1804 - 2 March 1852 in Mittelstrimmig). Andreas emigrated in 1853, after the death of his wife in 1852. Andreas' oldest son, John Peter Koelzer, was the first to emigrate, in 1851, and wrote a series of letters back to his father and siblings, which they in turn brought with them when they came a year or two later. The letters, which have been translated and remain in the family, give a fascinating account of the journey and of John Peter's early days in Wisconsin. From John Peter Koelzer's letters written in 1852: After leaving from Liverpool on the steamer 11 August 1851, by "the 17th of August from the ocean we could still see the coast of Ireland and then we started out on the High Sea...September 18 we arrived in New York." After arriving in New York in September 1851..."travelled on to Albany. From Albany took the train to Buffalo; the fare was 4 dollars. At Buffalo...took a ferry to Detroit across Lake Erie, then took a train through Michigan and travelled also on Lake Michigan to Milwaukee, which cost 3 dollars. The journey from New York to Milwaukee cost 7.50 dollars, without meals, and took 7 days." He continues in his letters: "I was happy to hear that many poor men are coming, because I am convinced that they can easily make a living here and can save and even send some money to their dear ones in Germany...If anyone would come I advise them to bring only as much clothing as they can carry under the arm. If you work at one place it will do, but if you move from place to place you have to take a trunk along...You can get everything here, if you have money. If you have no money and don't want to work you can get nowhere, at least I never saw that the fried doves fly into your mouth... "Last week I had the great misfortune. I lost a horse and a bull. A butcher gave his son 100 dollars telling him to buy cattle. He had to pay: 5 dollars for a cow, 5 dollars for a bull, 50 cents for a calf. He bought 3 bulls, 11 cows, and 34 calves. Milwaukee is and will always be the capital of the State, and farmland 5 or 6 miles from Milwaukee costs 30 dollars per acre. But timberland can be gotten for 18 to 20 dollars an acre. You can get a whole good farm of 80 acres, including livestock, wagons, plow, house and barn for about 800 to 1000 dollars. "There are not many churches here yet, but the churches are built very simply. In the Catholic settlements, the people build their own house and have a fence around their property so they can keep their cattle on their farm and that is nice. Here the houses are not built like in Germany. The trees are cut down and laid on top of each other in log houses... "I know a man who is here 10 years and is still penniless. Especially those who were wealthy and big in Germany, and now, they come here and want to play the big man without working. They are sitting here in misery, of course... "Now I want to write you how cheap everything is here. A bushel of Wheat is 50 to 60 cents A bushel of Corn is 27 to 29 cents A bushel of Oats is 16 to 17 cents A bushel of Barley is 35 to 45 cents "The Climate is about like by you, only the winter is colder and the summer a little hotter, that means in Wisconsin. It is better for Germans in the westerly States. In the southern States it is much hotter and not very healthy... "If one of you want to come I think it would be better to take a German Steamer, as the cost and lodging is much cheaper and better on a German ship than one from England. On many Steamers they have very good meals, even if you don't eat much, when you get sea-sick. When you get sea-sick they give you dry prunes, good wine and Brandy. Those things keep a person warm, refreshes and strengthens one, when he does not feel well." "I was very happy to hear that so many of my friends have come to America, because I am convinced they can have a good life here, and can save and acquire things for their descendants, whereas in Germany this is unthinkable. Nevertheless, I do not doubt that some of them wish they were back in Germany; especially since most of them arrived here without any money or bread for themselves and their children, and unable to speak the language. After they become accustomed to this country and have earned some money, I am sure, they will not long for Germany..." (The above excerpts are from the journal and letters of John Peter Koelzer, written in 1852, passed down in his branch of the family through his daughter Philomina Koelzer Haug and then her daughter Clara Haug Meyer of Kansas, now in the possession of Clara's son Vernis Meyer of Iowa. The journal was translated by Sister Mary Hilaria of the Benedictine Convent at Clyde, Missouri in 1969.) John Peter Koelzer, the writer of the journal, was married 30 April 1854, according to records of the St. John's Mission, in Herman, Sheboygan Co., Wisconsin, to Mary Margaret Wink from Hanover, Germany. John Peter, Peter Joseph (my great-grandfather) and Maria Anna (later Rettele) children of Andreas Kolzer, were the ones who went on in 1859 to settle in St. Benedict's, Nemaha Co., Kansas, after spending several years in Wisconsin. This contributor's great-grandfather was the second son of Andreas: Peter Joseph Koelzer 1826-1893 (NOT the same as the one buried at St. Joseph's in Alverno, Wis.). He was married in 1859 to Sophia Koblitz, daughter of another Manitowoc resident, Anton Koblitz. (Anton Koblitz and family were from Truebau or Truegau, Austria-Hungary, and it is believed that they emigrated in 1850. Anton Koblitz served during the Civil War in Company F, 7th Wisconsin Infantry, and was wounded at the Battle of Petersburg, Virginia, in April 1865. Anton himself went on to live in Kansas, where he died in 1904 and is buried near Seneca, Kansas, with the Koelzers who settled in St. Benedict.) One of Andreas Kolzer's children who remained in Manitowoc, Susanna Koelzer, married in 1853 Peter Johann Reif at St. Mary's in Manitowoc Rapids. Peter Reif was the son of Nicholaus Reif and Anna Maria Savors (or Saveurs?) from Maertz, Koblenz, Rheinland, Germany. Peter Reif (2 Feb 1818 - 1882), a lumberman, and Susanna Koelzer Reif (1 Dec 1833 - 8 Aug 1911) died at Reif's Mills, Manitowoc Co., Wis. and are buried at St. Augustine Cemetery. They had 5 known children. Another of Andreas Kolzer's children Anton, who was only about 7 when the family emigrated in 1853, died rather young. Family legend tells of his going west with a wagon train to the Black Hills gold rush in the mid-1870's and being killed in an Indian massacre. I have a great deal of information on the Koelzers, going back to when the church records began in that part of Rheinland, Germany, in the early 1700's. ----------------------- From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 529 General merchandise, Manitowoc. Born Nov. 3, 1831, in Prussia. Sept. 15, 1851, he came to New York, and was there engaged in the manufacture of furniture seventeen years. In 1869, he came to Manitowoc, and opened a general store, which he has since successfully continued, being obliged to enlarge his store on account of his increasing business. Married in the spring of 1853, to Sarah Doyle. She is a native of Ireland. They have five children, two sons and three daughters; two daughters are teaching school. Joseph assists his father in their business.

JOSEPH KOENIG This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.210-213. Joseph Koenig, vice president of the Aluminum Goods Manufacturing Company of Two Rivers since 1909 and formerly president of the Aluminum Manufacturing Company, was the founder of that industry in this section of the state and is a man of marked personality and executive ability who has contributed largely toward the success of the concern with which he is connected. He was born near Neisse, Germany, April 21, 1858, a son of Joseph and Magdalena Koenig. The father passed away in his native country and subsequently the mother came to this country with nine children of whom Joseph is the seventh. She settled in Two Rivers and her death occurred here in 1908. She is buried in Two Rivers cemetery. Joseph Koenig attended the schools of Germany, and the education there obtained was supplemented by private lessons. Upon his arrival in America he worked in a factory in Two Rivers and later went to Indianapolis as a painter and decorator. He remained there from 1873 to 1880, after which he attended the Milwaukee Seminary for Teachers for one year. Having completed the course of study in that institution he removed to Louisville, Kentucky, where he taught school for three years and also studied law at the University of Louisville. He completed the full law course and was admitted to the bar of the state of Kansas, practicing as an attorney in Wichita for two years. At the same time he speculated in real estate to some extent and while not always successful in his investments, at one time he made a considerable fortune which he later saw swept away. He also organized a vinegar factory which is still doing business. From Wichita he went to Chicago and engaged in teaching for three years, and during that time he first became interested in aluminum ware in this country. At his request his cousin, Arthur Reymond, exhibited some of this aluminum ware at the World’s Fair. Subsequently Mr. Koenig made an exhibit of a similar kind in San Francisco and again at St. Louis. Most of the goods he displayed were manufactured in Germany. Because of the interest people took in his exhibit and because of the success he had in disposing of the goods he had imported, he concluded to start the manufacture of aluminum goods in the United States. He thus became one of the founders of the manufacture of these goods in this country, and practically all the various aluminum wares and novelties which are made in the United States were originated and developed by him. He it was who succeeded in developing the industry in this country and putting it on a paying basis. The Manitowoc Aluminum Novelty Company, the New Jersey Aluminum Company and the Two Rivers Aluminum Company have been consolidated since January 1, 1908. Although he gives the greater part of his time and attention to the aluminum business, Mr. Koenig has also taken an interest in other enterprises in Manitowoc county. He organized the Two Rivers Coal Company, of which he is vice president and which he has so developed that it is a most successful enterprise. In Louisville, Kentucky, November, 1884. Mr. Koenig was married to Miss Emma Krafft, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Krafft. They have become the parents of two children: Remus, who is manager of the Newark factories of the Aluminum Goods Manufacturing Company; and Ruby, who is a graduate of Downer College and the University of Wisconsin, and is at present a post graduate student in the latter institution. Because of his interest in educational affairs Mr. Koenig has served as director of the board of education. He is a blue lodge Mason and a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He also holds membership in the Country Club of Manitowoc. He has risen to his present prosperous position by following the straight path of duty and by taking advantage of all opportunities which have presented themselves. He has long since proven his worth in the business world, and his success is manifested by the fact that he is vice president of one of the largest business enterprises in Wisconsin. So successful has he been in his undertakings that he has never had occasion to regret having left his native country to take up his business career in America.

Joseph Koenig

AUGUST KOEPSEL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.238-239. August Koepsel is one of the landowners and prosperous tarmers of Newton township. A native of this county, he was born in the city of Manitowoc, August 1, 1869, the son of August and Mary (Hempschemeyer) Koepsel, both of whom were natives of Germany. The grandfather, William Koepsel, came to the United States with his family in 1849, when his son August, the father, of our subject was only eight years of age. He settled in Liberty township, where he purchased land and erected a log cabin in which the family lived until he retired and moved to the city of Manitowoc. The father, August Koepsel, Sr., in early youth learned the blacksmith’s trade and followed that occupation in the city of Manitowoc for three years. He afterward bought a shop in Newton township, on the Green Bay road, and operated it for about five years. Subsequently he purchased a farm in Newton township and resided on the same until his death in 1883, passing away at the age of forty-two. His wife, Mary (Hempschemeyer) Koepsel, was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1849, and when six months old was brought to this country by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hempschemeyer. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. August Koepsel, Sr., nine children were born, seven of whom are still living. August Koepsel, Jr., as a lad divided his time between his studies in the district school and the duties on the home farm. At the age of fifteen he started to learn the tinner’s trade but on account of his health was forced to give up the same and he then began working as a farm hand. In 1892, when he was twenty-three years of age, he rented the home farm of his mother and operated it for two years, after which he purchased the same and continued to manage it for two more years. Thereupon he sold the homestead and for one year was engaged in the well drilling-business. He then moved to the city of Manitowoc, where he worked on the coal docks for one year, after which he again took up farming, renting a farm on the Green Bay road, and resided on the same for two years. Subsequently he purchased his present place, where he is now engaged in general farming and dairying. In 1892 Mr. Koepsel wedded Miss Emma Waack, who was born in Newton township, the daughter of Henry and Augusta (Mathews) Waack, both of whom were natives of Germany. To Mr. and Mrs. Koepsel have been born eight children, Edna, Leona, Irvin, Arnold, Walter, Raymond, Alvin and Gerda. In politics Mr. Koepsel is independent and he has served as township treasurer for two years. Both he and his wife are members of the German Lutheran church at Newton and their lives are carefully guided by its teachings. He is greatly interested in the cause of education and is now serving as clerk of the school district, while he has also filled the office of township treasurer for a term of two years. At the present time Mr. Koepsel serves as the second supervisor of Newton township, giving complete satisfaction to his constituents in the discharge of his official duties. As the years have passed Mr. Koepsel has labored faithfully and he has gained a comfortable competence and is one of the representative farmers and dairymen of Newton township.

FREDERICK KOHLS From the Manitowoc Pilot, 22 April 1875: In Probate - Manitowoc County Court In the matter of the estate of Frederick Kohls deceased. Letters of Administration in said matter being on the 2?th day of January 1875 granted to A.M. Nichter of said County and no one having required the appointment of commissioners on said estate it is ordered that all claims and demands of all persons against said deceased be received, examined and adjusted before the Judge of this Court. And it is further ordered, that four months from and after the date hereof be the same and hereby are allowed and limited to creditors to present their claims against said deceased. And it is further ordered that within sixty days from the date hereof, notice of the times and places at which said claims may be presented and of the time limits for creditors to present their claims to be given by publishing the same for four weeks successively once in each week. (rest concerns publishing notice) T.G. Olmsted, County Judge

ANTON KOHOUT COMING TO MANITOWOC... Anton Kohout (Born 2/1820 or 2/1822, Died 1912) sailed to America in 1874 from Bohemia and arrived in Baltimore, Maryland. His wife Elizabeta (born 1822) came along with their son and his family. Their son Joseph Kohout (Born 10/1843, Died 1931) and his wife Therezia (Born 3/1841, Died 1923). Joseph and Therezia brought their children: Joseph (born 1871 in Bohemia). Joseph Jr. studied as a medical student, Mary (born 1871 in Bohemia, Died 1956) Mary and Joseph were not twins they were born about eleven months apart, Elizabeta (born 1874 in Bohemia). Elizabeta was only nine months old on the ship. Therezia may have been pregnant on the ship with Wenzel (Born 1875 in Kewaunee, Wisconsin, Died 1942) Wenzel was the first in our family to be born in America. Anna Kohout (Born in 7/23/1880, Died 1/6/1973 in Grantsburg, Wisconsin). Anna was my great-grandmother. Minnie Kohout (Born 10/1883 in Manitowoc, Wisconsin). Minnie Kohout married Gustave Geisler and had Raymond (Born 7/27/1907), Marie (Born 7/9/1909), Cyril (Born 8/8/1910) and James (Born 5/5/1920). Minnie passed away after taking a fall and the injury never healed properly. She succumb to cancer in that spot. Anna Kohout was married on 6/28/1903 to Henry Bies (Born 9/15/1879, Died 4/28/1923). Their first child Ruth Marie Bies (Born 10/23/1904 in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, Died 9/1910) Ruth caught pneumonia in the first grade and passed away. Their second child was my grandmother Antoinette Marie Bies (Born 9/25/1913 in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, Died 8/1976 in Frederick, Wisconsin). Henry Bies worked at the Navy Ship Yards. Later on he worked as a laborer in Manitowoc. He caught blood poisoning from a paper cut on his hand. The doctor told him to take some aspirin, by the next day Henry was dead. My great-grandmother Anna Bies also helped to raise Raymond Geisler, Marie Geisler. Marie married Roland Borman (Born 8/13/1905, Died 5/30/1991 in Green Bay, Wisconsin). Cyril Geisler and James Geisler after they lost their mother to cancer. Antoinette Bies who went by the nickname Toni married Walter Abraham (Born 9/20/1913 in Mishicot, Wisconsin, Died 6/10/1969) in Sheboygan, Wisconsin). Walter and Toni owned a home on Wilgus Road in Sheboygan. Wally worked for the Wisconsin Public Service Company for 25 years. They also owned a resort in Mt. Morris, Wisconsin. Walter Abraham was an avid trapper and fishermen. His father was Otto Abraham (Born 5/25/1886) and his mother was Emma Versch (Born 5/29/1896 in Greenbush Township). Here's some additional information on the Kohout family of Manitowoc. Wenzell Kohout was the youngest son of Joseph Kohout Sr., and the grandson of Anton Kohout from Bohemia. The Kohout family resided at 2701 Meadow Lane in Manitowoc. The family home was donated to Holiday House by Arleine and Kenneth Kohout. Wenzel Kohout worked as a car inspector in Manitowoc. Wenzell O. Kohout (Born 1875 in Kewaunee, Died 1942 in Manitowoc) married 6/7/1904 to Georgianna Donavan (Born 8/12/1882, Died 1/1968). Children: Esther A. Kohout (Born 2/24/1910) married Harold Guse (Born 7/29/1904 Died 2/1970 in Manitowoc), Kenneth S. Kohout (Born 2/15/1912, Died 6/11/2000 in Manitowoc) married 6/1/1940 to Arleine M. Kuechmann (Born 4/30/1911 in Muscatine, Iowa, Died 9/21/2004 in Colorado, Buried in Calvary Mausoleum in Manitowoc) Grace Kohout (Born 8/19/1907) married an O'Connell. The O'Connell family was in the brick making business in Manitowoc. (all sent in by researcher/see contributors page)

REV. FRANK KOLAR This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.289-290. Rev. Frank Kolar, pastor of St. Mary’s church, at Reedsville, Wisconsin, and state chaplain of the Bohemian Roman Catholic Central Union of the state of Wisconsin, has labored long and faithfully in the service of his Master, and is one of the most beloved priests in Wisconsin. Father Kolar is a native of Bohemia, and was born April 25, 1865, the eldest of the thirteen children of Frank and Teresa Kolar, who still reside in the old country. His university education was secured at Prague, Bohemia, and he was prepared for the priesthood in the college and university there, completing his course by one year’s attendance at St. Francis University, Milwaukee, where he was ordained March 3, 1889. He was then assigned to St. Paul, Minnesota, for six months, going from there to St. John’s church, Fourth and Cherry streets, Milwaukee, where he remained two and one-half years. At this time Father Kolar’s health failed, his steadfast and earnest labors having caused a general breakdown, and he decided to go to the country to continue his labors, feeling sure that he could there recuperate. He subsequently came to the Green Bay diocese, and his first charge was at Casco, Kewaunee county, where he continued for about four and one-half years, then going to Tisch Mills, Manitowoc county, for about five years and from there to Antigo, Langlade county. After about three years there he went to Kellnersville, Manitowoc county, for two years and eight months, and on September 1, 1905, came to Reedsville, where he has since continued. While in Milwaukee, he was instrumental in building the parochial school of St. John’s church, and at Antigo he organized a new Bohemian congregation and built a new church, and since coming to Reedsville he has had the old church torn down and a handsome new edifice erected, costing twenty-one thousand dollars, which was free of debt within one year and subject to consecration, which is only performed where Catholic churches are either of brick or stone, and where church, school, parsonage and Sisters’ house are entirely free of debt. This is the first Bohemian church that had been consecrated in the United States, and the rite was performed by three bishops and twenty-eight priests, in 1907, before a large concourse of people. When Father Kolar first came to this parish the congregation consisted of fifty-six families, and it now includes ninety-seven, sixty-six of whom are Bohemian families, while thirty are English and German speaking. The parochial school has an average of eighty-five pupils and is taught by two Sisters of Alverno, Wisconsin. The Catholic Knights of Wisconsin here have a membership of forty-two, and the Knights of St. George, twenty-six. The St. Anna Society, of which Mrs. Frances Kubale, Sr., is treasurer, and Mrs. Mary Burich, secretary, has a membership of fifty-six; and the Young Ladies’ Society, of which Antonia Burich is secretary and treasurer, has twenty-eight members. The officers of the congregation are as follows: W. Kabat, secretary; Frank Kocourek, treasurer; and F. Kubale and Joseph Krizenesky, counselors. The officers of the school board are Joseph E. Vondracek and Joseph Hlavacek, with Sister Clarissa, sister superior. The earliest settler of Reedsville who is a member of this parish, is Joseph Kabat, who came here in 1856. Father Kolar is state chaplain of the Bohemian Romah Catholic Central Union of the state of Wisconsin, which was incorporated under the laws of Wisconsin in 1809, but the membership of which now spreads over seven different states. He is also a member of the Bohemian National Council of the United States, representing all of the Bohemian Catholics in this country. Father Kolar is not only a learned and zealous priest, but is an excellent business man and understands how to direct the affairs of his church so as to insure financial prosperity. His kindly, sympathetic nature has won many friends for him among his people, who honor and revere him. Among scholars Father Kolar ranks high, for he is an earnest student and carefully read man who keeps himself well posted upon current affairs.

REV. OTTO KOLBE This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.562-565. Rev. Otto Kolbe, resident priest of SS. Peter and Paul Catholic church of Kiel, was born in Charleston, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, March 7, 1874. He is a son of Joseph and Ernestine Kolbe, farming people. Father Kolbe was educated at the Chilton German Catholic school, the Appleton German Catholic school and the Josephinum College at Columbus, Ohio, where he was ordained priest in 1900. He was then made assistant priest to Father O’Brien at Green Bay, Wisconsin, for eighteen months, following which he was at Kilbourn, Wisconsin, for three years. During the period he was there, he built a church and parsonage, the former being of brick with a seating capacity of five hundred people. Going to Gillet, Wisconsin he not only had charge of that parish, but two missions as well, ministering in all to sixty-five families. After two years there during which he built an addition to the church, and the priest’s house, on July 15, 1908, he came to Kiel as resident priest. The first priest of this parish was Geo. Weiss, succeeded by M. J. Schmitz, Joseph Hemmer and Rudolph W. Nickel, Father Kolbe being the fifth to have charge here. He is now building a new church edifice of stone and brick, and has remodeled the priest’s house. There are about one hundred and ten families in his parish, and he also conducts missions at Elkhart Lake, where he has twenty families, and New Holstein, where he built a new church for the twenty families connected with it. He is a Knight of Columbus of the fourth degree, a Knight of Wisconsin and a Forester of the third degree. All of the priests have done good work here, for prior to 1892 Kiel was but a mission, and now the SS. Peter and Paul church owns a property two hundred and thirty feet by one hundred and ninetv-five feet, and the priest's house is a two-story structure of frame. When completed the new church will be a beautiful one, commodious and a dignified example of ecclesiastical architecture. It replaces the one erected in 1886, which was the first one built.

Rev. Otto Kolbe

JOSEPH KOZLOVSKY (Source) Brewer, Luther Albertus. History of Linn County, Iowa: from its earliest settlement to the present time. Volume II. Biographical. Cedar Rapids, IA: Torch Press, 1911. Joseph Kozlovsky is now living retired in Cedar Rapids, although for many years he figured prominently in public office and in mercantile and real-estate operations achieving success that enabled him at length to put aside the active cares of business and enjoy the comforts of life because of the fruits of his former toil. As the name indicates he comes of Bohemian ancestors, but his birth occurred on a farm near Kellnersville in Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, on the 14th of October, 1859. His parents, W. J. and Mary (Cenefelo) Kozlovsky were both natives of Bohemia and came to this country with their parents, the former when five or six years of age and the latter when about seventeen years of age. The two families settled on farms in Wisconsin and there the father and mother of our subject were afterward married. In 1863 W. J. Kozlovsky came to Cedar Rapids, but the family remained in Wisconsin until two years later, when the mother and five children also arrived in this city. The father was identified with the butchering business here for a number of years, successfully conducting a meat market in Cedar Rapids and later removing to Marion. He afterward returned to the former city and engaged in the hotel business, being proprietor of the Cedar Rapids Hotel for a quarter of a century and thus becoming favorably known to the traveling public as well as to the residents of this city. He died in 1894 and his wife died four years later. Joseph Kozlovsky was reared at home and acquired his education in the public schools, passing through consecutive grades until he became a high school student. In his early manhood he assisted his father in the hotel business and later engaged in the restaurant business, with which he was identified for four or five years. He afterward conducted a confectionary and cigar store for six years and in these various undertakings met with good success, for he carefully managed his business interests, gave to the public satisfactory service and was honorable in all his dealings. In 1893 Mr. Kozlovsky was elected a member of the city council and served for a term of two years. In 1898 he was elected chief of police of Cedar Rapids and served in that capacity for eight years, retiring from the police department in 1906, after which he was engaged in the real-estate business for two years, negotiating many important property transfers. At the end of that time ill health caused his retirement from active business life. He was formerly one of the organizers of the Iowa State Savings Bank and has since been one of its directors, owning considerable stock in the institution. In 1888 Mr. Kozlovsky was united in marriage to Miss Mary Benesh, of St. Paul, Minnesota, and a native of Bohemia. He belongs to the John Hus Lodge, No. 51, I. O. O. F.; Cedar Rapids Lodge, No. 251, B. P. O. E.; and since 1882 has been a member of the Prokop Velky Lodge, No. 46, C. S. P. S.; and to Cedar Rapids Sokol Society. He gives his political allegiance to the democracy and is well informed not only upon political questions, but upon the various interests which claim his attention. He is recognized as a man of strong mind, of clear judgment and of keen discrimination, and there are few men of wider intellectual development than Joseph Kozlovsky. He has visited almost all foreign countries and therefore has a wide knowledge of those who people the different sections of Europe. He is a man of versatile popularity and a true citizen.